Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,409 members, 7,978,291 topics. Date: Friday, 18 October 2024 at 03:51 AM

Analysis Of Four Laughable Charges The Government Brought Against Nnamdi Kanu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Analysis Of Four Laughable Charges The Government Brought Against Nnamdi Kanu (469 Views)

Emefiele Facing Gun, Ammunition Possession Charges — The Nation / Lagos Government Brought Foodstuff To My Doorstep.. Have You Gotten Your Own? / See pictures of Petition FG Brought against CJN, Onnoghen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Analysis Of Four Laughable Charges The Government Brought Against Nnamdi Kanu by gidgiddy: 3:40pm On Oct 21, 2021
The Government is taking IPOB leader, Nnamdi Kanu, to court on a 7 count charge. Im not a Lawyer, but my little understanding of the Law tell's me that least four out of the seven charges are laughable. The other 3 charges which are concealment of a Radio transmitter, belonging to IPOB and telling people to hunt down families of security personnel are neither here nor there but I leave it to the Lawyers to debate. The four laughable charges against Kanu are:

"That you Nnamdi Kanu, male, adult, of Afaraukwu Ibeku, Umuahia North Local Government Area of Abia State on the 31st of May, 2021, in London, United Kingdom within the jurisdiction of this Honourable Court did an act in furtherance of an act of terrorism by issuing a deadly threat that anyone who flouted your sit-at-home order should “write his/her will,” as a result banks, schools, markets, shopping malls, fuel stations were not opened for businesses and vehicular movements grounded and you thereby committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 1 (2) (b) of the Terrorism Prevention Amendment Act, 2013.”

If everyone who ever made a verbal threat against another person were to be jailed, we would all be in jail. Terrorism must be an action, it can never be spoken words alone. Trying to equate terrorism with mere spoken words alone will fail woefully

"That you Nnamdi Kanu, male, adult, of Afaraukwu Ibeku, Umuahia North Local Government Area of Abia Stale on the 16thh of May, 2021, in London, United Kingdom within the jurisdiction of this Honourable Court did commit an act in furtherance of an act of terrorism by making a broadcast that “In 2 weeks’ time, what will happen will shake the world, people will die, the whole world will stand still, mark my word” and you thereby committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 1 (2) (b)

Nnamdi Kanu could have been talking about anything  from pandemic, to natural disasters that can kill mass of people. This count is laughable since you would have to be inside Kanu's brain to know what he meant. How this could even amount to a charge is beyond me

"That you Nnamdi Kanu, male, adult, of Afaraukwu Ibeku, Umuahia North Local Government Area ot Abia State, on or about the 28th April, 2015 in London, United Kingdom did broadcast on Radio Biafra monitored in Enugu, Enugu State and other parts of Nigeria within the jurisdiction of this Honourable Court, referred to Major General Muhammadu Buhari, GCON, the President and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria as a paedophile, a terrorist, an idiot and an embodiment of evil, knowing same to be false and you thereby committed an offence contrary to Section 375 of the Criminal Code Act, Cap C. 77, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria 2004"

Lets assume that Nnamdi Kanu did make this broadcast calling President these these names. Buhari was not President of Nigeria as at 28th April 2015. Therefore, if there is any case, it would be a civil matter between Buhari and Kanu. Buhari should be suing Kanu, not the state suing Kanu on behalf of Buhari. This count is baseless because Buhari was not yet President when Kanu is purported to have made the broadcast

"That you Nnamdi Kanu, male adult of Afaraukwu lbeku Umahia North Local Government Area of Abia State being the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) on diverse dates in 2014 and 2015 in London, United Kingdom, did broadcast on Radio Biafra monitored in Enugu and other areas within the jurisdiction of this Honourable Court, preparations made by you and others now at large for states in the South-East and South-South zones and other communities in Kogi and Benue States to secede from the Federal Republic of Nigeria with a view to constituting same into the Republic of Biafra and you thereby committed an offence punishable under Section 41(c) of the Criminal Code Act, CAP. C77, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004"

If I announce preparations of a crime I am going to commit, but never commited it,  can you charge me to court for commiting that crime? In other words, you are charging me to court for the announcement, but not that I did anything? Again a baseless charge
Re: Analysis Of Four Laughable Charges The Government Brought Against Nnamdi Kanu by BombAttack(f): 3:49pm On Oct 21, 2021
Odogwu is not guy name my brother
Re: Analysis Of Four Laughable Charges The Government Brought Against Nnamdi Kanu by Nobody: 3:49pm On Oct 21, 2021
There is no laughable there.

Only terrorists will laugh over it.

Let him defend himself.
Re: Analysis Of Four Laughable Charges The Government Brought Against Nnamdi Kanu by Moferere: 3:56pm On Oct 21, 2021
As laughable as they appear, government can use the silliest of charges to keep him in detention for a long time.
Re: Analysis Of Four Laughable Charges The Government Brought Against Nnamdi Kanu by Dikegodspower(m): 4:09pm On Oct 21, 2021
The charges are laughable my brother.
They don't have anything against MNK hoha

(1) (Reply)

Who Else Received The SPWP Funds / Stop Media Trial Of Nnamdi Kanu, IPOB — ICON / How ISWAP Ambushed Travellers And Abducted 7 Security Personnel In Borno State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.