Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,390 members, 7,917,238 topics. Date: Saturday, 10 August 2024 at 08:37 PM

CAE- The Eyes Of Engineering - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / CAE- The Eyes Of Engineering (634 Views)

Salary Of Engineering Cadre At Mikano / School Of Engineering And Technology (SET) / Career Choices , Which Field Of Engineering Should I Go For? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

CAE- The Eyes Of Engineering by Ekpenyongoffio: 5:11am On Oct 26, 2021
I came across this image on the internet. At first, I was infuriated as to why this could happen in the first place. I mean , when there are Engineers out there, things like this shouldn’t be a norm nor happen at all. I’m not saying that man is God, but common! There are tools which an engineer can leverage on to predict and prevent such a mishap from happening.

While still glaring at this particular photo, I got the answer to my question which means that I was directly looking at the solution from the problem, and immediately, I heard myself talking to myself aloud, in my head- “THIS STRUCTURE WAS NEVER SIMULATED! Be that as it may, whoever made this design, did not run it through an ANALYSIS!!

I’m fully aware that structures age overtime, and thus failure is induced, but this particular one does not seem “age induced”. This is totally a NEGLIGENCE ON THE PART OF THE DESIGN ENGINEER!

Yes! he /she obviously neglected principles governing the engineering design practice! Because , I see no reason how and why a CAE software wouldn’t have screamed at the top of its voice that there were flaws in that design.

whichever CAE software he employed would have told him straight up “ guy! Check those individual frame members! Are you sure they are strong enough for such height and weight? “have you checked the effects of wind pressure, vibrations and other forces that affects structures as high as this? What about the integrity of the bolt sizes you have adopted? Can they comfortably hold this structure in place? But no, he didn’t ! all he was thinking about was how much he would make from the design. The life entrusted in his care peradventure the structure collapses meant nothing to him!

See guys, engineering is not a cheap profession as the Nigerian economy makes it look! Engineering is life! Stop thinking that ENGINEERING is a field you do things any how you like!! . if those are your thoughts towards this profession, then get ready to host mass burial! because your structures will always fail.! Go and learn CAE and understand its concepts before designing any structure meant to support or carry LOADS!

Learn CAE and understand that nothing happens in engineering without a reason! Don’t be a quack who is only concerned with the “ abeg weld am anyhow” principle!

The fact “everything done in the manufacture of a particular machine or structure has millions of reasons” cannot be overemphasized!!!

That small bend on a sheet metal or the position of the bolt on that flange has a “why” behind it! Design and manufacturing engineering is not a joke! Neither is it for aesthetics!! it is strictly based on functionality!! And a CAE Software can give that optimal functionality you desire! Learn ANSYS O, learn SOLIDWORKS o because Eget why!!..

You know Sometimes I wonder why a design engineer would design a mechanical structure, still goes ahead to produce the fabrication drawings without any prior analysis carried out on that structure. What even gives you the boldness and conviction that the design is safe and hence approved?

Like, guy just wait first, you mean say fear no catch you say that thing fit fall on top person head?

Where una dey chop this kind morale from sef? Hmmmm

SOLIDWORKs and ANSYS which are computer aided engineering and design softwares (CAD and CAE) has given us the power to predict the behavior of structures, systems, and machines and their responses to the natural harsh environment and human induced factors too. It can comfortably address issues related to (but not limited ) thermal(heat) flows, fluid flows in pipes and other medium, strength of materials, frequency , flows in exhaust pipes, aerodynamic flows in cars and aircrafts and other parameters involved in Engineering.
These tools are like a sharpened axe in the hands of a wood cutter, without them , there would be nothing called Mechanical Design Engineering. No good manufacturing firm nor a practicing Engineer, neglects such powerful tools! NA ONLY MUMU DEY GO FARM WITHOUT CUTLASS. lol

SIMULATION is the EYE OF MECHANICAL DESIGN ENGINEERING.
Through it, the unseen is seen and seen clearly!.
Through it, the undone is done, and done well!
With its mastery, a quack is forged into an expert!
Boys! have been made men is this field of design.
Never underestimate the power of a CAE tool

SIMULATION TO THE WORLD!
Attached also below is screenshot of a simulation I carried out on a spark plug of an IC Engine.
Summary of the Results from the simulation: After a fast solution, from solidworks simulation, the temperature distribution given the 100oF(I just choosed the Fahrenheit unit, it could have been any temperature unit) initial temperature on the inside base of the spark plug was seen to propagates to the connector side of the plug. This proved that the thermal ceramic insulator present in the spark plug did its job well evenly distributing the heat!!.

2 Likes

Re: CAE- The Eyes Of Engineering by Tomahawk99(m): 5:20am On Oct 26, 2021
Nice read.

1 Like

Re: CAE- The Eyes Of Engineering by carrad: 1:04pm On Oct 26, 2021
may i know if you apply cad/cae at your place of work. Where do you work?
Re: CAE- The Eyes Of Engineering by Ekpenyongoffio: 8:03am On Nov 15, 2021
Tomahawk99:
Nice read.

Thanks man. I appreciate.

Sorry for my late reply. I was trying to round off a personal Design project.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CAE- The Eyes Of Engineering by Ekpenyongoffio: 8:15am On Nov 15, 2021
carrad:
may i know if you apply cad/cae at your place of work. Where do you work?

Yea sure. I worked at Nigerian Foundries limited at ogun State. There CAD Is applied to the fullest.infact, Design for manufacturing ( casting), reverse engineering etc with Solidworks is applied to the highest level..
When a job that involved us to cast a heat pan came in, we had to invoke thermal analysis in Solidworks for the job .

Apart from Nigerian Foundries, Proforce defense limited too still at ogun state make use of Solidworks a great deal. They do alot more FEA Simulations than Nigerian Foundries since their job involves the manufacture of armoured vehicles. They also do lots of sheet metal fabrications too all with Solidworks software.

Tranos at Lagos too uses Solidworks. There are lots of companies out there using the software that most people do not know about.

So sorry for my late reply, I was trying to round off a personal Design project..

1 Like

Re: CAE- The Eyes Of Engineering by carrad: 3:25pm On Mar 20, 2022
Please for posterity sake. what are the other companies if you can call them.. I invested a lot of time learning cad and fea (especially for vibrations) and i dont really know where to apply for job and engaging on personal projects is expensive and time consuming. Its just is not rewarding as i cant find what to do with my knowledge.
I even got cswp in solidworks as for fea. . i quickly realised solidworks is ok for linear analysis but the nonlinear analysis capabilities and results are not sophisticated enough. Its been a while but my knowledge on mech is rusting a bit and im slowly transitioning to computer tech like 80% of other people who study mee in d first place.
What are the opportunities for mee graduates that involve design and not technician or maintenance jobs?
Sorry about d rant. Just looking for some guidance or advice. Just saw you reply too
Re: CAE- The Eyes Of Engineering by Truthshscrazy: 10:22pm On May 23, 2023
cool

(1) (Reply)

Change In Career Choices, Is It Worth It, Will Be Needing Your Advice. / Marketers/admin Officers Needed / Experienced Web Programmer Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.