Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,131 members, 7,880,543 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 08:43 PM

Choice Of A First Car - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Choice Of A First Car (3604 Views)

Advice needed on 1.5m budget for a first car owner / When Did You Buy Your First Car And How Much Was It? / Best Car To Buy As A First Car: Car Buying Tips For First Time Buyers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Choice Of A First Car by Elboki109: 8:12am On Oct 31, 2021
I intend buying my first car by next week. My budget is 2.5m-3m. This would be my first car. I'm at a crossroad in making my selection between this brands
Toyota
Lexus
Honda
Acura
Hyundai
kia
Note: I'm a bit Tall and lanky. My schedule are always Home to Work and vice versa. I rarely travel. And I'll be having my own family soon.
Your advise and input will be greatly appreciated

2 Likes

Re: Choice Of A First Car by DukeNija(m): 8:24am On Oct 31, 2021
Elboki109:
I intend buying my first car by next week. My budget is 2.5m-3m. This would be my first car. I'm at a crossroad in making my selection between this brands
Toyota
Lexus
Honda
Acura
Hyundai
kia
Note: I'm a bit Tall and lanky. My schedule are always Home to Work and vice versa. I rarely travel. And I'll be having my own family soon.

For a first car, I’ll advise you go for something basic or simple e.g a Toyota Camry or Corolla.
And given your budget, you can get a good Toks corolla 04-07, also a Camry 05-06.
These are good and reliable cars.
As per your potential family size, a Camry will suffice for commuting around town.
If you can stretch your budget a bit, you could get a Camry 2008-10.
My conclusion is a Toyota Camry.

1 Like

Re: Choice Of A First Car by Elboki109: 8:56am On Oct 31, 2021
DukeNija:

For a first car, I’ll advise you go for something basic or simple e.g a Toyota Camry or Corolla.
And given your budget, you can get a good Toks corolla 04-07, also a Camry 05-06.
These are good and reliable cars.
As per your potential family size, a Camry will suffice for commuting around town.
If you can stretch your budget a bit, you could get a Camry 2008-10.
My conclusion is a Toyota Camry.
Thanks for your input sir. I know my budget is a bit slim due to the current exchange rate. But i don't mind buying a Nigerian used car.
Re: Choice Of A First Car by Dododawa01: 9:29am On Oct 31, 2021
Elboki109:

Thanks for your input sir. I know my budget is a bit slim due to the current exchange rate. But i don't mind buying a Nigerian used car.
With your budget, Don't go for Nigeria Used but u may regret. With your budget, u can get good tokunbo of d car advised to u above.
Note: For any Tokunboh u want to purchase, make sure u do comprehensive report. The report will give u, number of owners that have used d car, wheda its accident car or flood car. This report is very important so that u will not buy lemon car or scrab as tokunboh . U can contact Nairaland‎ CarGuide here to help u check report by sending VIN to him. He help me to get d report of most of my car and its rarely I visited mechanics cos I got a good car. I rest my case.

4 Likes

Re: Choice Of A First Car by computerglobal(m): 10:43am On Oct 31, 2021
We are your number one source to get any vehicle checked. We make it easy for you to discover the complete history of any used car before you buy or sell it. It only takes a couple of minutes, and you'll have peace of mind before you buy . Have that peace of mind knowing the vehicle's complete history. ..

You’ll receive crucial facts about the car you’re looking to buy that will help you make a smart decision.

Comprehensive Vehicle History Report & Custom Duty Verification

[b]
Contact us by checking our profile for contact details
080-6036-5068
Re: Choice Of A First Car by demolagilbert: 1:55pm On Oct 31, 2021
Re: Choice Of A First Car by DukeNija(m): 3:09pm On Oct 31, 2021
Elboki109:

The reason I’d recommend buying a Tokunbo car is because most Nigerian used cars have one issue or the other. Although you can get really good Nigerian used cars if you’re thorough in your due diligence. I’ve bought some really fantastic Nigerian used cars because I’m already very experienced with cars and know what to lookout for.
That being said, yes you can get some really good Nigerian used cars within your budget. You can hit me up if you’re in Lagos and I can link you up. If you’re buying a Nigerian used car, go for the following:
1. Toyota Corolla 2010-2012
2. Hyundai Sonata 2012
3.Toyota RAV4 2010
4. Honda CRV 2009-2012
Re: Choice Of A First Car by ehmmy11(m): 8:56pm On Nov 01, 2021
Elboki109:
Toyota
Lexus
Honda
Acura
Hyundai
kia

Op don’t buy Nigerian used cars to avoid tears like someone advised you going for tokumbo check the VIN report to avoid buying a lemon

With your budget i recommend 2006 Camry v6

1 Like

Re: Choice Of A First Car by Mmgboji(m): 11:26pm On Nov 07, 2021
Get a good Tokunbo 2006-2010 Honda Civic and Thank me later. I drive one now after having used a Toyota Camry. Very easy to main, superb fuel economy and good handling.

1 Like

Re: Choice Of A First Car by duality(m): 11:55pm On Nov 07, 2021
Mmgboji:
Get a good Tokunbo 2006-2010 Honda Civic and Thank me later. I drive one now after having used a Toyota Camry. Very easy to main, superb fuel economy and good handling.

Your roads aren't rough then.
Re: Choice Of A First Car by Mmgboji(m): 1:39am On Nov 08, 2021
duality:

Your roads aren't rough then.

My road is as bad as it can get. 8th Gen Civic has same suspension system as Toyota. I have driven to and from Abuja to Aba three times this year. Have only replaced driver side wheel bearing for close to 2years of using the car. I am still amazed at the ruggedity of the car. Just my own experience on this civic and nothing more.

2 Likes

Re: Choice Of A First Car by Dozieson(m): 3:33am On Nov 08, 2021
Mmgboji:

My road is as bad as it can get. 8th Gen Civic has same suspension system as Toyota. I have driven to and from Abuja to Aba three times this year. Have only replaced driver side wheel bearing for close to 2years of using the car. I am still amazed at the ruggedity of the car. Just my own experience on this civic and nothing more.

How is the gear box?
Re: Choice Of A First Car by Mmgboji(m): 5:28am On Nov 08, 2021
Dozieson:

How is the gear box?

It's strong as well. Like every other Honda, just don't abuse it with wrong grade of fluid. Stick to recommended fluid, which is quite expensive. Have only changed gear oil once. Transmission is very smooth.
Re: Choice Of A First Car by Dozieson(m): 6:45am On Nov 08, 2021
Mmgboji:

It's strong as well. Like every other Honda, just don't abuse it with wrong grade of fluid. Stick to recommended fluid, which is quite expensive. Have only changed gear oil once. Transmission is very smooth.

I heard their is plenty of fake dw1 in the market and have cause a lot of Honda gear box to failed
Re: Choice Of A First Car by Elsueno: 7:45pm On Nov 08, 2021
Honda civic- Classy, elegant, superb interior & fuel economy, affordable parts & most important of all, u can actually park it & leave for hours without worrying about d whole car disappearing or missing brain box

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Choice Of A First Car by Mmgboji(m): 9:51pm On Nov 08, 2021
Dozieson:

I heard their is plenty of fake dw1 in the market and have cause a lot of Honda gear box to failed

Yes.. So much fake dw1 everywhere. Better to order it from trusted dealers or Amazon.
Re: Choice Of A First Car by Dozieson(m): 8:57am On Nov 09, 2021
Mmgboji:

Yes.. So much fake dw1 everywhere. Better to order it from trusted dealers or Amazon.

This na hard work o. I like the car but the fear of getting original gear oil is my issue. So no genuine seller in naija?
Re: Choice Of A First Car by fergieboy: 12:40pm On Nov 09, 2021
Look for sharp Lexus RX 300

Nigeria use 1.5m-1.7m

Use 200k to fix

Thank me later
Re: Choice Of A First Car by MOTIONTECH(m): 11:56pm On Nov 09, 2021
with 2m or less you will get a clean tokunbo 2010 volvo s60 2.5t. Volvo is equally as relaible as toyota and the like.

1 Like

Re: Choice Of A First Car by Mmgboji(m): 9:13pm On Nov 10, 2021
Dozieson:

This na hard work o. I like the car but the fear of getting original gear oil is my issue. So no genuine seller in naija?

One guy on Nairaland here called Dru (or so) sells original oil. At least most of the big wigs in car talk section says so. I haven't patronised him before.

1 Like

Re: Choice Of A First Car by valarinz: 8:10pm On Nov 11, 2021
MOTIONTECH:
with 2m or less you will get a clean tokunbo 2010 volvo s60 2.5t. Volvo is equally as relaible as toyota and the like.

Volvo S60 2.5T has no 2010 model, it ended at 2009,so i guess that's what you're talking about

That said, can you kindly link me on ways to get that car for the price you quoted, i will be so grateful
Re: Choice Of A First Car by Elboki109: 3:28pm On Nov 12, 2021
Thanks all for your advice and inputs. I'm very grateful. I finally settled for a Lexus Rx330 Year 2006, Full option( Though I don't know what this means...LOL). I was lucky to come across someone who was in dire need of money. He sold a 2 month used Rx330 for 3.650. The car is pretty clean and every other thing checks out.

2 Likes

Re: Choice Of A First Car by Dozieson(m): 3:57pm On Nov 12, 2021
Elboki109:
Thanks all for your advice and inputs. I'm very grateful. I finally settled for a Lexus Rx330 Year 2006, Full option( Though I don't know what this means...LOL). I was lucky to come across someone who was in dire need of money. He sold a 2 month used Rx330 for 3.650. The car is pretty clean and every other thing checks out.

Ok congratulations
Re: Choice Of A First Car by Elsueno: 9:14pm On Nov 12, 2021
Congrats bro, but I hope u no say mid next year bubu go remove subsidy cheesy
Re: Choice Of A First Car by MOTIONTECH(m): 11:28pm On Nov 12, 2021
valarinz:

Volvo S60 2.5T has no 2010 model, it ended at 2009,so i guess that's what you're talking about

That said, can you kindly link me on ways to get that car for the price you quoted, i will be so grateful
wait for me, alright.
Re: Choice Of A First Car by olenyi: 5:48am On Nov 13, 2021
Elboki109:

Congrats. Hope no underlaying issues that made him want to sell it. The need for money might just be an excuse.

Warm regards.

2 Likes

Re: Choice Of A First Car by Dozieson(m): 5:48am On Nov 13, 2021
olenyi:

Congrats. Hope no underlaying issues that made him want to sell it. The need for money might just be an excuse.

Warm regards.

Hmmmmm
Re: Choice Of A First Car by IkpuMmadu: 5:59am On Nov 13, 2021
Start with a Japanese maybe Toyota as economy improves you can do European cars
Re: Choice Of A First Car by valarinz: 6:24am On Nov 13, 2021
MOTIONTECH:
wait for me, alright.

Ok Sir

angry

1 Like

Re: Choice Of A First Car by Elboki109: 10:30pm On Nov 13, 2021
olenyi:

Warm regards.

So far I haven't noticed any issue with the car. Everything checks out.

1 Like

Re: Choice Of A First Car by CraigMorrison: 8:03am On Nov 14, 2021
Elboki109:
Toyota
Lexus
Honda
Acura
Hyundai
kia

As for me Toyota is overrated. They are boring cars to drive

If smooth drive experience, handling, and good fuel economy is what you are looking for, I would suggest Honda Civic 2010-2012 model.

However if you aren't a fan of Honda, I would recommend Hyundai. You could either go for

1. Hyundai Elantra 2010, rated as 2010 Best Compact Car with Value for money, by cars.usnews.com (https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/best-cars-for-the-money-2010)

Or

If you want more leg space go for

2. Hyundai Sonata 2013

This car evokes a lot of class
Has a unique stylish design
And rated the Best Affordable Midsized car in 2013 (https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/used/2013-affordable-midsize-cars[color=#000099).

As for me I would advise you to go for this, however you will need to extend your budget a bit as it is around that #3.5 million range

Check this thread below, the OP helps people buy car from Canada

https://www.nairaland.com/5167845/n1200000-less-tokunbo-cars

Shallom
Re: Choice Of A First Car by Dozieson(m): 2:04pm On Nov 14, 2021
Elboki109:

So far I haven't noticed any issue with the car. Everything checks out.

be careful with the car. the gear box is u660e aka 22pin. dont allow anyhow mechanic touch your car

(1) (Reply)

Is This 2007 Toyota Camry Safe To Buy? / Car Review: 2016 Nissan Qashqai / Can Overheating Cause Break Failure?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.