Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,962 members, 7,949,282 topics. Date: Sunday, 15 September 2024 at 04:12 AM

My Girlfriend Doesn't Know I Have Mental Issues - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Girlfriend Doesn't Know I Have Mental Issues (1174 Views)

I Think I Have A Daughter And My Wife Doesn't Know / I Am Cancelling All Marriage Plans Because Of What My Girlfriend Did To My Niece / I Want To Leave My Wife For My Girlfriend (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Girlfriend Doesn't Know I Have Mental Issues by Dude397(m): 11:02pm On Nov 07, 2021
Good evening everyone. To cut the long story short my mental health issues started in 2012 when I tried weed in the university. It's not genetic. I've been in and out of psychiatric hospitals a good number of times. However I'm currently on medication and I've been able to manage the condition. I was also able to graduate and I've also done my nysc and my family is planning on opening a small business for me since job has not been forthcoming.

However my health condition has been kept secret by me and family and I'm currently dating a nice girl. Please should I tell her my secret. What caused most of my episodes was refusal to take my medication and all that but right now I'm very okay and for some few years now I've been going about my daily affairs without any issue. If I let the cat out of the bag I don't think she may stay cos the stigma of mental health issues is not a joke. Please I need your advice on how to handle this delicate issue. Thanks

2 Likes

Re: My Girlfriend Doesn't Know I Have Mental Issues by Goldbw122(m): 11:04pm On Nov 07, 2021
HMM, I think the doctor will have a saying to that issue you are having, so that you dont regret the action you are about to make.
Re: My Girlfriend Doesn't Know I Have Mental Issues by Freestainworld(m): 11:06pm On Nov 07, 2021
Tell no one anything since it is not genetic, keep taking your drugs, the whole mental issue will disappear permanently before you know it.

5 Likes

Re: My Girlfriend Doesn't Know I Have Mental Issues by AntiWailer: 11:29pm On Nov 07, 2021
Don't tell anybody.

Take ur drugs regularly and call it anti depressant.
Re: My Girlfriend Doesn't Know I Have Mental Issues by Mood11: 11:39pm On Nov 07, 2021
Please tell her about it. She deserves to know.

Think about it this way, if the tables were turned how would you feel if you found out such a thing about her after marrying her?

The good girl deserves to know that some nuts dey lose from time to time make you no break plank on her head one day.

10 Likes

Re: My Girlfriend Doesn't Know I Have Mental Issues by Kobojunkie: 11:40pm On Nov 07, 2021
Dude397:
Good evening everyone. To cut the long story short my mental health issues started in 2012 when I tried weed in the university. It's not genetic. ...... If I let the cat out of the bag I don't think she may stay cos the stigma of mental health issues is not a joke. Please I need your advice on how to handle this delicate issue. Thanks
You claim you caused it yourself did you have been sticking to treatment for years now. What conditions are we exactly talking of here... what are possible episodes like? undecided

I mean depending on what exactly you are struggling with, if you are thinking of going serious with her it may be in your interest to let that cat out of that bag early in the relationship. Even with the non-genetic kind of mental health issues, you try as much as possible to make sure you have people around you that can help you maintain that support you need always, not people or someone who willl run off right in the middle of you having an episode. undecided

2 Likes

Re: My Girlfriend Doesn't Know I Have Mental Issues by Mariangeles(f): 11:42pm On Nov 07, 2021
You should tell her only when you feel it's the right time to tell her. You will know when.
As long as you want to stay in a relationship with her, she has the right to know. Just in case you suffer an episode in her presence.

Do you still stay in the environment where people know about your mental health issues?
Re: My Girlfriend Doesn't Know I Have Mental Issues by Double0h7(f): 4:55am On Nov 08, 2021
You shouldn't be ashamed of having any illness, mental or physical! If you play along with these ignorant people then you're perpetuating the stigma. Play your role and be transparent about your health. If your partner knows about your struggle then she could make a conscious decision. If you lie to her then she'd feel doped and she won't have any sympathy for your condition.

You need to persevere your health so don't walk into stressful situations that could trigger you. There's no winning If you lie, you would put yourself in a psychologically damaging condition when she finds out and this in turn may exasperate your condition.

Also, if you have psychosis or any personality disorders then it will be known by her because she lives with you. She wouldn't understand why your acting a certain way and she might jump into conclusions like 'you're this or that' instead of understanding your struggles and making life easier for you.

Nobody wins if you lie about this!

2 Likes

Re: My Girlfriend Doesn't Know I Have Mental Issues by frozen70(f): 6:03am On Nov 08, 2021
Dude397:
Good evening everyone. To cut the long story short my mental health issues started in 2012 when I tried weed in the university. It's not genetic. I've been in and out of psychiatric hospitals a good number of times. However I'm currently on medication and I've been able to manage the condition. I was also able to graduate and I've also done my nysc and my family is planning on opening a small business for me since job has not been forthcoming.

However my health condition has been kept secret by me and family and I'm currently dating a nice girl. Please should I tell her my secret. What caused most of my episodes was refusal to take my medication and all that but right now I'm very okay and for some few years now I've been going about my daily affairs without any issue. If I let the cat out of the bag I don't think she may stay cos the stigma of mental health issues is not a joke. Please I need your advice on how to handle this delicate issue. Thanks

Well, I think you need to tell her that, you once took drugs and it affected you, you have to go to hospital and got cured and since then you have been on medication to avoid a relapse

In this narrative, you have not mentioned that you have mental issues, so which ever way she understood it, let it be so

The essence of telling her this is because, incase it comes up at anytime, she will not be surprise, she will be there for you

After all, it's not hereditary. So if she loves you, she will not leave you

But you have a sacrifice to make, you have to love her deeply to the extent that she will find it difficult to love another man

3 Likes

Re: My Girlfriend Doesn't Know I Have Mental Issues by Omakraid(f): 6:28am On Nov 08, 2021
Dude397:

If you dont want to tell her directly for fear of leaving you, you can show her the drugs when she's around and tell her to always help you remember using those drugs as recommended by your family doctor cos you do have this breakdown when you don't use it.
But she really deserves to know. Any girl that will stay will stay.
Re: My Girlfriend Doesn't Know I Have Mental Issues by Kobojunkie: 6:40am On Nov 08, 2021
Omakraid:

If you dont want to tell her directly for fear of leaving you, you can show her the drugs when she's around and tell her to always help you remember using those drugs as recommended by your family doctor cos you do have this breakdown when you don't use it.
But she really deserves to know. Any girl that will stay will stay.
I think that is bad advice! She is his galfriend, not his wife or caretaker. undecided

First, he needs to to sure she will even accept and support him rather than put him down or shun him. undecided
Re: My Girlfriend Doesn't Know I Have Mental Issues by Richy4(m): 7:57am On Nov 08, 2021
If there are secrets one takes to their grave, I guess this is one of them embarassed...
Re: My Girlfriend Doesn't Know I Have Mental Issues by bukatyne(f): 8:18am On Nov 08, 2021
Dude397:

Let's flip the story.

Would you want her to tell you if she had mental issues?

If you do not tell her, then she is in a relationship with a version of you that doesn't exist.

She wouldn't even be able to provide the support you need because she doesn't know.

And if she would walk away, isn't better now than after marriage?

People getting into marriages/relationships today really need to open their eyes o.
Re: My Girlfriend Doesn't Know I Have Mental Issues by Omakraid(f): 8:41am On Nov 08, 2021
Kobojunkie:
I think that is bad advice! She is his galfriend, not his wife or caretaker. undecided

First, he needs to to sure she will even accept and support him rather than put him down or shun him. undecided
For me, I think that's the beginning of a conversation where the girl will agree or not
Re: My Girlfriend Doesn't Know I Have Mental Issues by faithfull18(f): 3:47pm On Nov 08, 2021
Nawa oh
Re: My Girlfriend Doesn't Know I Have Mental Issues by Sonnobax15(m): 3:56pm On Nov 08, 2021
undecided
Tell her abeg....If she truly like you, she'll stay undecided. So long you're taking your medication and there hasn't been any symptoms of it coming Back,I don't think she'll have any Problem with it, unless she has been fed up all along.
Re: My Girlfriend Doesn't Know I Have Mental Issues by Kobojunkie: 3:57pm On Nov 08, 2021
Omakraid:

For me, I think that's the beginning of a conversation where the girl will agree or not
A conversation of that kind, in a country where ignorant individuals plenty everywhere should take place only after you have confirmed she is not another ignorant individual. undecided
Re: My Girlfriend Doesn't Know I Have Mental Issues by Sonnobax15(m): 3:59pm On Nov 08, 2021
Kobojunkie:
A conversation of that kind, in a country where ignorant individuals plenty everywhere should take place only after you have confirmed she is not another ignorant individual. undecided

This advice is also very relevant,op..
Re: My Girlfriend Doesn't Know I Have Mental Issues by Dude397(m): 4:12pm On Nov 08, 2021
Kobojunkie:
You claim you caused it yourself did you have been sticking to treatment for years now. What conditions are we exactly talking of here... what are possible episodes like? undecided

I mean depending on what exactly you are struggling with, if you are thinking of going serious with her it may be in your interest to let that cat out of that bag early in the relationship. Even with the non-genetic kind of mental health issues, you try as much as possible to make sure you have people around you that can help you maintain that support you need always, not people or someone who willl run off right in the middle of you having an episode. undecided
Bibolar affective disorder caused by substance abuse. My family has been very supportive and I've never taken cannabis again for once since the incident and I'll never try it again.
Re: My Girlfriend Doesn't Know I Have Mental Issues by Kobojunkie: 4:16pm On Nov 08, 2021
Dude397:
Bibolar affective disorder caused by substance abuse. My family has been very supportive and I've never taken cannabis again for once since the incident and I'll never try it again.
You mentioned you have been taking your medication for years, have you ever had to replace them with a different prescription during all that time? undecided
Re: My Girlfriend Doesn't Know I Have Mental Issues by Dude397(m): 4:19pm On Nov 08, 2021
Mariangeles:
You should tell her only when you feel it's the right time to tell her. You will know when.
As long as you want to stay in a relationship with her, she has the right to know. Just in case you suffer an episode in her presence.

Do you still stay in the environment where people know about your mental health issues?
Yes actually I still live in the environment but it's not like I was a complete mad man on the streets or any of such. Not at all. Mainly hyperactivity and overreligiousity with irritability but with my medication, nothing of such at all and I've been gradually weaned off the medication and will soon stopping it totally by God's grace. It has been years now since my last episode. She is also a very understanding and homely girl but this seems like a big red flag honestly. Also I've never smoked or drank again since this incidents

1 Like

Re: My Girlfriend Doesn't Know I Have Mental Issues by Dude397(m): 4:48pm On Nov 08, 2021
Kobojunkie:
You mentioned you have been taking your medication for years, have you ever had to replace them with a different prescription during all that time? undecided
Yes I've changed it few times. The one I'm taking now I've been taking it for about 2 years now.
Re: My Girlfriend Doesn't Know I Have Mental Issues by Kobojunkie: 4:56pm On Nov 08, 2021
Dude397:
Yes I've changed it few times. The one I'm taking now I've been taking it for about 2 years now.
I see! undecided

You need a person who can be supportive not just one who is "homely", whatever that means. As for her being "understanding", why then have you not felt to bring up the issue till this point in the relationship? undecided
Re: My Girlfriend Doesn't Know I Have Mental Issues by Dude397(m): 3:31pm On Nov 09, 2021
Kobojunkie:
I see! undecided

You need a person who can be supportive not just one who is "homely", whatever that means. As for her being "understanding", why then have you not felt to bring up the issue till this point in the relationship? undecided
Because i see it as a serious red flag
Re: My Girlfriend Doesn't Know I Have Mental Issues by Kobojunkiee: 4:32pm On Nov 09, 2021
Dude397:
Because i see it as a serious red flag
Red flag for whom? You or her? undecided

Do you think you as a person have accepted your disability or are you walking around ashamed of it? undecided
Re: My Girlfriend Doesn't Know I Have Mental Issues by eyinjuege: 5:42pm On Nov 09, 2021
Tell her before someone else does.
Such things are no secret and if she finds out from someone else, she will have no reason to stay with you.
Imagine if someone went to tell her parents that their daughter wants to marry a man who's had mental breakdown. She defends you that it's not true because you would have told her, and then they bring evidence or show a picture in your vulnerable state in the hospital?
That's the end of that relationship na. But if she knew before hand, she can defend you and say that's in the past and the Drs have been happy with your state for a few years
Re: My Girlfriend Doesn't Know I Have Mental Issues by sisisioge: 6:02pm On Nov 09, 2021
Smile for me even if you're sad o...
Sing for me even if your voice dey crack o...
Stay with me even if you've got some place to be...
Take a chance on me, dont you believe I'm worth the risk....
Smile for me baby mi please...smileeee

Ok,so I dont know why I decided to sing Simi's Smile for Me. Biko tell her....shes presently sitting carelessly on a dynamite without knowing. Biko tell her....let her decide her position and perhaps work with you. Please tell her. May God strengthen your mind.
Re: My Girlfriend Doesn't Know I Have Mental Issues by NarcissistKing: 7:52pm On Nov 09, 2021
sisisioge:
Smile for me even if you're sad o...
Sing for me even if your voice dey crack o...
Stay with me even if you've got some place to be...
Take a chance on me, dont you believe I'm worth the risk....
Smile for me baby mi please...smileeee

Ok,so I dont know why I decided to sing Simi's Smile for Me. Biko tell her....shes presently sitting carelessly on a dynamite without knowing. Biko tell her....let her decide her position and perhaps work with you. Please tell her. May God strengthen your mind.

Musician grin
Re: My Girlfriend Doesn't Know I Have Mental Issues by Double0h7(f): 1:37am On Nov 10, 2021
Dude397:
Yes actually I still live in the environment but it's not like I was a complete mad man on the streets or any of such. Not at all. Mainly hyperactivity and overreligiousity with irritability but with my medication, nothing of such at all and I've been gradually weaned off the medication and will soon stopping it totally by God's grace. It has been years now since my last episode. She is also a very understanding and homely girl but this seems like a big red flag honestly. Also I've never smoked or drank again since this incidents

I'm sorry to say this but you need understand your condition better. Bipolar isn't caused by cannabis, it was just triggered by your drug intake. It also has no cure and you'll be required to take your drugs for the rest of your life. Unless you've been misdiagnosed, Bipolar is something you manage and not something you recover from. You need to accept and understand your condition and then find someone who will accept and understand you.
Re: My Girlfriend Doesn't Know I Have Mental Issues by Sharonstone7719: 9:16pm On Nov 11, 2021
Yes, she has a right to know what she is getting into.

(1) (Reply)

How Much Is A Litre Of Kerosene In Your Area? / Closed thread / We Are Struggling Financially, Should We Sell Our Dad's Property Due To Bad Area

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.