Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,140 members, 7,949,927 topics. Date: Sunday, 15 September 2024 at 11:36 PM

Why Is It Like This In World Cup Qualification - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Why Is It Like This In World Cup Qualification (1098 Views)

Perumal: How I Fixed Nigeria’s 2010 World Cup Qualification (Pic) / Aftermath Of Super Eagles World Cup Qualification: 10 Funny Pictures / Leon Balogun‏ Shows Off His Parents To Celebrate 2018 World Cup Qualification (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is It Like This In World Cup Qualification by Desboy123(m): 7:07am On Nov 15, 2021
I was wondering why 13 Europeans countries will qualify for the world cup . 13 countries out of 55 will qualify , while in Africa , only 5 out of 54 will advance , then in South America too another continent am also shocked , 5 countries out of only 12 will qualify , 4 qualifies from North America while 5 will qualify from Asia.

I think The European nations have an upper edge in winning the world cup why bcus the Nations qualifying for the tournament are much (13 ) .
Is it because FIFA and the game of football is more known and played better in Europe that is why FIFA is using this qualifying format
Why do you think is like this
Please share your opinion
Re: Why Is It Like This In World Cup Qualification by Desboy123(m): 7:09am On Nov 15, 2021
Lalasticala ,
Nairaland mod please help push this post to Front Page
So I can know more about why it's like this thanks
Re: Why Is It Like This In World Cup Qualification by Ever8090: 7:20am On Nov 15, 2021
This particular question big pass me....

Re: Why Is It Like This In World Cup Qualification by Hammer2021: 7:24am On Nov 15, 2021
The 5 that are going are only going to disgrace themselves (which they've been doing) or you want Germany vs Congo full time 17-0 in a world cup??

3 Likes

Re: Why Is It Like This In World Cup Qualification by paulolee(m): 7:47am On Nov 15, 2021
Africa needs to step up it's game bcox even d 5 that are representing us are yet to play in d finals...
adding more African team is just to make d world cup boring, longer and less competitive...
Wetin u wan gain if you see fixtures like france vs zambia, Germany vs lesotho, brazil vs congo n spain vs tanzania n thesd fixtures brings high scoring results dt ends up disgracing Africa..
dont u know it will affect the few big boys mentally n even make d fans believe dt our football is going backwards...
Mk we step up first before them increase its numbers...

2 Likes

Re: Why Is It Like This In World Cup Qualification by Pierocash(m): 7:55am On Nov 15, 2021
It is not about sentiment. It is about how developed football is in these continents.

European countries are far more developed in football than other continents,so giving them 5 teams will be unjust.

How many African countries play good football? That is why in UEFA champions league, countries with developed leagues have more slots than others with less developed leagues.

England has 4 teams,same with Germany,Spain and Italy. Some of those European countries have only one team,others don't even have. It is about how developed your football is.

Even in CAF champions league , Nigeria use to have 4 teams before,but now it is two teams, because naija league is retrogressing than its North,and southern African counterparts ,that is why those ones have more slots

2 Likes

Re: Why Is It Like This In World Cup Qualification by WibusJaga: 8:04am On Nov 15, 2021

Football currently lives in Europe both in terms of quality & TV coverage. Consider also the FIFA rankings; mostly dominated by European countries.

& I don't think the number gives them upper hand in winning the cup. Even if you give Africa 20 slots, they will still not win & the quality of play will be low.
If you also look at history of past winners, South America has a fair share despite the comparatively low representation.

1 Like

Re: Why Is It Like This In World Cup Qualification by Desboy123(m): 8:10am On Nov 15, 2021
Hammer2021:
The 5 that are going are only going to disgrace themselves (which they've been doing) or you want Germany vs Congo full time 17-0 in a world cup??

Lol
Re: Why Is It Like This In World Cup Qualification by Desboy123(m): 8:13am On Nov 15, 2021
paulolee:
Africa needs to step up it's game bcox even d 5 that are representing us are yet to play in d finals...
adding more African team is just to make d world cup boring, longer and less competitive...
Wetin u wan gain if you see fixtures like france vs zambia, Germany vs lesotho, brazil vs congo n spain vs tanzania n thesd fixtures brings high scoring results dt ends up disgracing Africa..
dont u know it will affect the few big boys mentally n even make d fans believe dt our football is going backwards...
Mk we step up first before them increase its numbers...

Na True sha
The teams here for Africa nor Sabi play sweet football

If Germany meet team like Liberia , that one over 10. 5 sef
Re: Why Is It Like This In World Cup Qualification by Desboy123(m): 8:15am On Nov 15, 2021
WibusJaga:

Football currently lives in Europe both in terms of quality & TV coverage. Consider also the FIFA rankings; mostly dominated by European countries.

& I don't think the number gives them upper hand in winning the cup. Even if you give Africa 20 slots, they will still not win & the quality of play will be low.
If you also look at history of past winners, South America has a fair share despite the comparatively low representation.

Yea true talk ,
Europe and South America are the real Footballing continent

1 Like

Re: Why Is It Like This In World Cup Qualification by Whazar(m): 10:45am On Nov 15, 2021
theres what we call FIFA coefficient
once African teams start appearing in top 5 or 10 fifa ranking steadily, then things might change
or are you shocked theres no african or asian team that has ever made the semis?
Re: Why Is It Like This In World Cup Qualification by lyricaldaboss(m): 1:31pm On Nov 15, 2021
Abeg 5 is enough. Africa is blessed with talented players but corrupt management. For me the only 5 countries that should always represent Africa ( not to say they will the wc o, but they will not be humiliated )

Algeria
Ghana
Senegal
Morocco or Egypt
Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Why Is It Like This In World Cup Qualification by Joebayo217: 2:00pm On Nov 15, 2021
lyricaldaboss:
Abeg 5 is enough. Africa is blessed with talented players but corrupt management. For me the only 5 countries that should always represent Africa ( not to say they will the wc o, but they will not be humiliated )

Algeria
Ghana
Senegal
Morocco or Egypt
Nigeria
those five African countries u mention won't qualify from group stage I can even say African countries aren't not worth to go to world cup
Re: Why Is It Like This In World Cup Qualification by lyricaldaboss(m): 12:41am On Nov 16, 2021
Joebayo217:
those five African countries u mention won't qualify from group stage I can even say African countries aren't not worth to go to world cup

True, but they won't take the kind of spanking countries like CAR, Sierra Leone, Madagascar will get
They can upset the big African countries, but once they face real contenders , as we saw today
England 10 San Marino 0
Chai!
Re: Why Is It Like This In World Cup Qualification by ken6488(m): 12:53am On Nov 16, 2021
You want to ruin the world cup

Imagine Germany and Tanzania
Re: Why Is It Like This In World Cup Qualification by MorataFC: 8:10am On Nov 16, 2021
ken6488:
You want to ruin the world cup

Imagine Germany and Tanzania
So?
Remind me the scoreline between Germany vs Brazil
Re: Why Is It Like This In World Cup Qualification by ken6488(m): 9:02am On Nov 16, 2021
MorataFC:
So?
Remind me the scoreline between Germany vs Brazil
Rest Africa football is very poor
Re: Why Is It Like This In World Cup Qualification by Nobody: 10:57am On Nov 16, 2021
Hammer2021:
You dey madt cheesy

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Mikel Wins In Court! / Where Can I Get Authentic Jerseys For Sale / How Many Are Interested In Cycling?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.