Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,930 members, 7,931,215 topics. Date: Sunday, 25 August 2024 at 07:20 PM

Okorocha Declares Imo Bankrupt - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okorocha Declares Imo Bankrupt (4792 Views)

Breaking News Inec Declares Imo State Elections Inconclusive / Rochas Okorocha Declares Support For Jonathan Vow To Take Over From Him In 2019 / Rochas Okorocha Declares Free Education For All In Imo State At Inauguration. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Okorocha Declares Imo Bankrupt by Calculia: 7:06pm On Jun 07, 2011
Okorocha is professing big things but it is how many he delivers that count. I am observing his governorship closely and praying for him to actually deliver.  cool

[b]Ezeuche [/b]welcome back, grin
Re: Okorocha Declares Imo Bankrupt by alexleo(m): 7:09pm On Jun 07, 2011
OAM4J:

OK. I have removed all the insults. Let's keep our comments civil and insult free pls.

Thanks.

May God bless you real good. Pls continue to remove all this abusive threads. Nairaland should be a place sanity and not insanity.

OAM4J:

A poster compared Okorocha with Fashola - There is no problem with that.

Another poster thinks Fashola is Tinubu's Godson - I have no problem with it, it is the poster's perception/opinion that can be argued/discussed without throwing insults.

But when in the course of defending your arguments, you starts calling posters/whole ethnic group insulting names, then I have a lot of problem with that.

Make your points and arguments, but do it without insulting any poster or any ethnic group - statements like "it sucks to be Yorubas/ibos/Hausas" is totally unwarranted.

you did the right thing. Keep it up and dont listen to people whose stock in trade here is to insult people and ethnic group.
Re: Okorocha Declares Imo Bankrupt by OAM4J: 7:15pm On Jun 07, 2011
Eko Ile:

And mine wasn't?  

This is a topic about Imo state and not Lagos state. So what's Lagos state and it's leaders got to do with the topic?  Should discussing issues about imo state = insulting and disrespecting leaders in other state? And that's not ethnic and tribal sentiments?

Are you for real or your just talking just for the heck of it?

Again, quit being selective with your dishonest and disingenuous actions. This is really irritating.

Give people a little power and they go blind and see just what they want to see.

How many times do I have to say it that there is nothing wrong with discussing or comparing leaders. I have no problem with your post/defends, but once it includes a word/phrase of insult I will have to delete the whole thing. . .I do not have the power to modify it. Again, make your defends and claims, but do it without insulting anyone/ethnic group. And i have no reason to be selective against you, I doubt you are more Lagosian than me or that you love fashola more than me.
Re: Okorocha Declares Imo Bankrupt by alexleo(m): 7:25pm On Jun 07, 2011
OAM4J:

How many times do I have to say it that there is nothing wrong with discussing or comparing leaders. I have no problem with your post/defends, but once it includes a word/phrase of insult I will have to delete the whole thing. . .I do not have the power to modify it. Again, make your defends and claims, but do it without insulting anyone/ethnic group. And i have no reason to be selective against you, I doubt you are more Lagosian than me or that you love fashola more than me.

pls my dear ignore him and keep on doing your good works.For so long, insults and bashing has been flourishing in nairaland. Thank God that we have moderators like you who will not tolerate and iota of it. God bless you. Anybody who wants to engage in display of madness should go find another site he or she can do it. not here.
Re: Okorocha Declares Imo Bankrupt by OAM4J: 7:29pm On Jun 07, 2011
^thanks wink
Re: Okorocha Declares Imo Bankrupt by EkoIle1: 7:38pm On Jun 07, 2011
OAM4J:

And I'm telling you the Godfather reference was an insult unless you personally made him the so called Godfather.

About the highlighted, let it remain a doubt because I'm 101% more Lagosian than you. Promoting and defending insults against your leaders is not the mark of a good Lagosian.

Like I said, you only see what you want to see for obvious reasons. Abeg stop the charade.
Re: Okorocha Declares Imo Bankrupt by enyojo(f): 8:13pm On Jun 07, 2011
^^ Who can be more Catholic than the Pope or Holier than the Holy Ghost?

The guy 'Eko Ile' from the name is already more Lagosian than dwellers like us. Nothing do u
But lets take it easy on each other. After all many people are hear to have fun. Don't compound their wahallas
Re: Okorocha Declares Imo Bankrupt by EzeUche1(m): 8:31pm On Jun 07, 2011
The way Eko Ile talks, you would think that Tinubu is his godfather as well. grin
Re: Okorocha Declares Imo Bankrupt by dempeople(m): 9:17pm On Jun 07, 2011
I really pity Okorocha and what he has inherited but he already has a great resource at his disposal. The greatest resource in the SE is the human resource.  He must engage professional Imolites and Ndigbo both at home and especially in diaspora for a plan on how to transform the state. He must start thinking of how to diversify the state's economy while rapidly increasing the IGR. It wouldn't be easy but someone has to do the job afterall that's why he was elected.

@OAM4J, u know u obviously have ur work cut out. Please keep an eye on Eko-Ile on this thread and section. By his antecedents, he's a well known trouble maker.
Re: Okorocha Declares Imo Bankrupt by friedrice1: 9:21pm On Jun 07, 2011
N100 billion Debt? with all the monies the state heaped in Ohakim's 4 years?
Re: Okorocha Declares Imo Bankrupt by Sunofgod(m): 9:23pm On Jun 07, 2011
Last week he was announcing 'Free Education' for all. . . . . . .

This week he is declaring the state 'Bankrupt'

Does this 'Guy' know what he's doing?

I'm sure by next week he will announce the 'Trebling of School Fee's' in Imo state.
Re: Okorocha Declares Imo Bankrupt by EzeUche1(m): 9:23pm On Jun 07, 2011
One good thing about Okorocha was that he was already rich before he entered elected office. He makes his money legitimately and that is why he could afford to forfeit his salary.
Re: Okorocha Declares Imo Bankrupt by rolchi(m): 7:40am On Jun 08, 2011
Free Education is in danger oh! He has put everyone on high red alert, Common folks, there is no free education cos we are broke, take it or leave it!

We are watching!

Even Peter Obi, an APGA Governor as the Chairman of SE Governors advocated for fees increase in the Universities of the SE, abi we don forget

So, will ARO bring money from his private purse to fund this "Free Education"?

Summarily, I think he should be more deft politically than talking everyday in the news, let him ask Peter Obi!
Re: Okorocha Declares Imo Bankrupt by Reference(m): 8:57am On Jun 08, 2011
dem_people:

I really pity Okorocha and what he has inherited but he already has a great resource at his disposal. The greatest resource in the SE is the human resource.  He must engage professional Imolites and Ndigbo both at home and especially in diaspora for a plan on how to transform the state. He must start thinking of how to diversify the state's economy while rapidly increasing the IGR. It wouldn't be easy but someone has to do the job afterall that's why he was elected.

@OAM4J, u know u obviously have your work cut out. Please keep an eye on Eko-Ile on this thread and section. By his antecedents, he's a well known trouble maker.

rolchi:

Free Education is in danger oh! He has put everyone on high red alert, Common folks, there is no free education cos we are broke, take it or leave it!

We are watching!

Even Peter Obi, an APGA Governor as the Chairman of SE Governors advocated for fees increase in the Universities of the SE, abi we don forget

So, will ARO bring money from his private purse to fund this "Free Education"?

Summarily, I think he should be more deft politically than talking everyday in the news, let him ask Peter Obi!

Gov. Rochas to me is in a good position. He doesn't have to make Imo, New york in four years. The depth of degradation is such that any positive movement will be welcomed. What he needs to do is build structures first and foremost. Put in place working mechanisms and tied them down properly. Look the prosperity of Imo will be created by Imolites and as they have chosen to do so they will rally round and afford whatever sacrifices are needed will pull the state through. What people should understand is that the 100 billion is a debt owed by all not by government alone so all should pull together. While the iron of electoral victory remains hot he should convene a massive town hall meeting, lay all cards on the table in all honesty, restructure debts, renegotiate wage increases, salary arrears, contractors obligations and bank interest payments. He is a smart chap and I know he can do it.

He should take a page out of bankruptcy 101. Talk, talk, talk with creditors. And while he is at it make sure everyone from him to the least feel the pain equally. He must walk the talk. No more expensive cars, functions and patronage. All contracts must be given by locals and executed on a bare-boned basis and keep away from Shylock bankers who must have flooded the capital by now to worsen the situation. As for the free education thing. It remains possible but probably not on the scale envisaged. It can be selective by scholarships paid for by the well to do and big corporations.

Another thing he should keep off is the revitalization here and there of industries. If it is not PPP then increasing the bureaucracy is the last thing he should be doing. Job creation is purely a private sector thing. Just create the environment, bring to the table the assets you have like land, permits, logistics but no cash. No cash whatsoever. That should be reserved for basic infrastructure once more handled by Imolites alone. He can do it.
Re: Okorocha Declares Imo Bankrupt by Ad4(m): 9:06am On Jun 08, 2011
I support what Rochas is doing.I'll advise him to leave Ohakim alone and the rubbish he has done and stay focused on all his reforms.No state in Nigeria and even in the world is free of depts. He should embark on programs to improve the economy of the state. As for the youths, its a pity that your jobs were suspended, the process of employment was not right. I believe Rochas will come up ding the with something for you. There is no need protesting and disturbing the peace.
Re: Okorocha Declares Imo Bankrupt by mbulela: 9:53am On Jun 08, 2011
Reference:

Gov. Rochas to me is in a good position. He doesn't have to make Imo, New york in four years. The depth of degradation is such that any positive movement will be welcomed. What he needs to do is build structures first and foremost. Put in place working mechanisms and tied them down properly. Look the prosperity of Imo will be created by Imolites and as they have chosen to do so they will rally round and afford whatever sacrifices are needed will pull the state through. What people should understand is that the 100 billion is a debt owed by all not by government alone so all should pull together. While the iron of electoral victory remains hot he should convene a massive town hall meeting, lay all cards on the table in all honesty, restructure debts, renegotiate wage increases, salary arrears, contractors obligations and bank interest payments. He is a smart chap and I know he can do it.

He should take a page out of bankruptcy 101. Talk, talk, talk with creditors. And while he is at it make sure everyone from him to the least feel the pain equally. He must walk the talk. No more expensive cars, functions and patronage. All contracts must be given by locals and executed on a bare-boned basis and keep away from Shylock bankers who must have flooded the capital by now to worsen the situation. As for the free education thing. It remains possible but probably not on the scale envisaged. It can be selective by scholarships paid for by the well to do and big corporations.

Another thing he should keep off is the revitalization here and there of industries. If it is not PPP then increasing the bureaucracy is the last thing he should be doing. Job creation is purely a private sector thing. Just create the environment, bring to the table the assets you have like land, permits, logistics but no cash. No cash whatsoever. That should be reserved for basic infrastructure once more handled by Imolites alone. He can do it.
very sound advice.
Re: Okorocha Declares Imo Bankrupt by LongOne1(m): 11:00am On Jun 08, 2011
His intentions are good I know, but people who try to do too many things at once usually end up not accomplishing any because of reasons like people not wanting to play, humans are not very rational.

Strategically speaking, he should have gone for planned (step-by-step) transformational change, rather than radical, as people are unpredictable in their behaviour; selfish; self-willed and self-determining and so can disrupt even what might be in their best interest. In conclusion, he has created more enemies than friends. He is INDEED a brave man, we need more people like him and may God be with him.

“It must be remembered that there is nothing more difficult to plan, more uncertain of success, nor more dangerous to manage than the creation of a new order of things. For the initiator has the enmity of all who would profit by the preservation of the old institutions, and merely lukewarm defenders in those who would gain by the new ones.” (Machiavelli, The Prince 1513)
Re: Okorocha Declares Imo Bankrupt by peaceudo: 12:19pm On Jun 08, 2011
A man who is creatively oriented, while solving a problem, that has been tried by another to no avail, has to break down all the components of that problem and reconstruct a lasting solution to the problem.

Re: Okorocha Declares Imo Bankrupt by Kemjisuper(m): 12:24pm On Jun 08, 2011
Change is definitely not easy!!! But the least we can do is give change a chance for it to actually happen!!! undecided
Re: Okorocha Declares Imo Bankrupt by Reference(m): 12:36pm On Jun 08, 2011
Sun of god:

Last week he was announcing 'Free Education' for all. . . . . . .

This week he is declaring the state 'Bankrupt'

Does this 'Guy' know what he's doing?

I'm sure by next week he will announce the 'Trebling of School Fee's' in Imo state.

No I think he was running on the line of his manifesto when he spoke that but having come into the reality of the situation adjustments have to be made. Look the best intentions have grave limits. That's why a true 'Freedom of Information Bill' was necessary to unmask the hidden deals and pots of porridge these elected leaders cook with bankers and other creditors. Did he know he would be saddled with an empty treasure - perhaps. Did he know of the 100 billion debt - most unlikely. Even in economies where FOI is in force campaign promises are sometimes adjusted or shelved completely in the reality of the prevailing mess. Obama has inherited Guantanamo and cannot close it down because the ghosts of George Bush have their feet firmly in the door jamb. C & C have baulked at some promises concerning spending, the NHS, electoral reforms amongst others. It is not easy.

This is where sincerity comes in. He must be seen to walk the talk, personally and publicly. If he cannot deliver free education for all, do the next best thing - massive scholarships. If he cannot deliver free education he can still spend a massive proportion of what is left on education not on irrelevant stuff. If he cannot deliver free education then he cannot ride a bullet proof mercedes s600 costing 100 million and purchase 40" LCD's for half a million to decorate government house ala banky. Then people will understand and praise him for his concern for them. I tell you governance is easy. Nigerians are not as demanding as the British or Germans who have gone to war because of poverty. We are easy to lead and the FOI bill only makes it easier for sincere leaders. After all if papa no get money he no get make we go sleep. But if papa no get money and he dey shack about, then wahala dey. That is why the cut in security vote and his salary overture was commendable.
Re: Okorocha Declares Imo Bankrupt by Guyman02: 4:27pm On Jun 08, 2011
Their Royal 'Igwenesis' embarassed themselves when they turned their palaces to meeting grounds of PDPs Ohakim and constantly reminding Rochas of the zoning formular in the state that Okigwe zone will rule for 8 years, after that Owerri zone bla bla bla even under bad leadership?

Rochas we know, can deliver the true dividends of democracy. Ohakim thought that bringing Umblela to his campaign will sway the votes his way, not understanding that Patience Jonathan cannot win an election for anybody, she lacks that kind of charisma
Re: Okorocha Declares Imo Bankrupt by Nija4Life(m): 7:46pm On Jun 08, 2011
I'm really surprised some people think Rochas is going too fast in his reform agenda but I'll rather he throttles along at even a faster pace than he does the opposite which I bet we will still be the ones complaining he's a 'go slow' governor. Governance in Nigeria does need radical reform in the way and manner we do things if we are really serious to develop. Far too much time is spent by politicians doodling and procrastinating over policies thereby giving room for complacency, laziness and looting because people have too much time on their hands doing nothing. The underdevoplment in Imo and indeed Nigeria as a whole is enormous and our leaders need to be in a hurry to catch up with the rest of the world.

My advice to Rochas is not to compromise with his free education policy. However, the policy needs to be matched with a massive infrastructural development of schools in Imo State to be fully equipped and resourced. There should also be a whole new approach to how teachers are trained in order to have the relevant skills and expertise to deliver high quality education in a globalised and changing world. No point in having free education if the education is not going to be worth much which is sadly the case of state funded education in today's Nigeria. He needs to assemble people who know a thing or two about what good education really means and I'm sure there are Imo indigenes both home and in Diaspora that he can bounce off good professional ideas from.

Apart from the oil in Egbema, Imo State is not blessed with abundant natural resources but as previously mentioned we are blessed with human resources. However, we need to develop the capacity of our human resources by investing heavily in a world class education to uplift the ability of our children to develop the dynamism and ideas for new businesses, entrepreneurial skills and new technology that will create wealth for us and future generations.

http://www.hilonah-educationthatworksfornigeria..com/
Re: Okorocha Declares Imo Bankrupt by nigboy(m): 5:53am On Jun 09, 2011
hope rising for Imo State People
Re: Okorocha Declares Imo Bankrupt by bigdoo: 1:01pm On Jun 09, 2011
I warned you guys that Ohakim was a 419 operator before he was selected (not elected) as governor of Imo state. I knew very well that nothing good will ever come out of Ohakim's four wasted years of his government, for once a thief, always a thief. I believe that with Rochas Okorocha on the seat as governor of Imo state good things are going to happen and a wind of change for the better will sweep across Imo state. I am worried about the election of Hope Uzodimma as a senator representing Oru East LGA of Imo State. This is because Hope Uzodimma is also a 419 operator and shared the same office with Ikedi Ohakim as partners in the 419 business before Ohakim became governor. I feel very sorry for Oru East constituency as Hope Uzodimma (a renowned 419 operator) can never have anything good to deliver to people of Oru East LGA. I am sending this warning early enough and calling for his impeachment as soon as possible. I thought that the era of 419 operators is over in Nigeria or is Imo State still an exception?
Re: Okorocha Declares Imo Bankrupt by Dede1(m): 2:09pm On Jun 09, 2011
Nija4Life:

I'm really surprised some people think Rochas is going too fast in his reform agenda but I'll rather he throttles along at even a faster pace than he does the opposite which I bet we will still be the ones complaining he's a 'go slow' governor. Governance in Nigeria does need radical reform in the way and manner we do things if we are really serious to develop. Far too much time is spent by politicians doodling and procrastinating over policies thereby giving room for complacency, laziness and looting because people have too much time on their hands doing nothing. The underdevoplment in Imo and indeed Nigeria as a whole is enormous and our leaders need to be in a hurry to catch up with the rest of the world.

My advice to Rochas is not to compromise with his free education policy. However, the policy needs to be matched with a massive infrastructural development of schools in Imo State to be fully equipped and resourced. There should also be a whole new approach to how teachers are trained in order to have the relevant skills and expertise to deliver high quality education in a globalised and changing world. No point in having free education if the education is not going to be worth much which is sadly the case of state funded education in today's Nigeria. He needs to assemble people who know a thing or two about what good education really means and I'm sure there are Imo indigenes both home and in Diaspora that he can bounce off good professional ideas from.

Apart from the oil in Egbema, Imo State is not blessed with abundant natural resources but as previously mentioned we are blessed with human resources. However, we need to develop the capacity of our human resources by investing heavily in a world class education to uplift the ability of our children to develop the dynamism and ideas for new businesses, entrepreneurial skills and new technology that will create wealth for us and future generations.

This is not issue of “going too fast or slow on the so-called reform agenda” or lack thereof. It is about legality and rule of law as stipulated by the tenant of democracy. I am for reforms which are carried out based on the dictates of law that set precedents.

Based on the first weeks on the job, I can say Ohakim performed better than Okorocha. At least, Ohakim did not leave the Imolites with room to doubts the legality of his actions as Okorocha had already done.

Again, when you are publicly posting assumed facts for public consumption; please make attempt to cull correct facts with respect to crude oil, Egbema and Imo State.
Re: Okorocha Declares Imo Bankrupt by DonShark(m): 3:40pm On Jun 09, 2011
His 1st day in office gave me a big relief that this man will work more than all the governors in Nigeria.I salute his courage and pray God to strengthen him as this is just the beginning of better things that will come to Imo state.
God bless AROO and Long Live Imo State!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Amen
Re: Okorocha Declares Imo Bankrupt by Nija4Life(m): 6:32pm On Jun 09, 2011
Dede1:

This is not issue of “going too fast or slow on the so-called reform agenda” or lack thereof. It is about legality and rule of law as stipulated by the tenant of democracy. I am for reforms which are carried out based on the dictates of law that set precedents. 

Based on the first weeks on the job, I can say Ohakim performed better than Okorocha. At least, Ohakim did not leave the Imolites with room to doubts the legality of his actions as Okorocha had already done.

Again, when you are publicly posting assumed facts for public consumption; please make attempt to cull correct facts with respect to crude oil, Egbema and Imo State.

Dede1:

I'm not sure what you actually mean, what is illegal about his actions? Could you explain?

What facts did I state that you claim to be assumed facts about Crude oil, Egbema and Imo State? It would be helpful if you could be more specific in your posts rather making vague comments.

By the way I'm from Imo State, lived there before and travelled to many local govt areas. I'm not a journey foreigner who blog or post comments about places never been to or experienced daily life before.

Re: Okorocha Declares Imo Bankrupt by blosomy(f): 11:10am On Jun 10, 2011
This is not in any way aimed at beating praise drums for the Governor of Imo State of Nigeria but rather to try and discuss the following:
1.Summarize his activities in the past 14 days
2.Try and understand the rationale behind them
3.Explore the sustainability challenges
Please feel free to voice out your concerns and I do hope the desired impact will be made.
To be continued!

http://blcompere..com/2011/06/rochas-okorocha-diary-of-initial-14.html

(1) (2) (Reply)

Taraba Governor Danbaba Suntai Reportedly Brain-Damaged / HORROR: Boko Haram Shoots Nigerian Army Brigade Commander / Warning To Those Agitating Against Fulani Herdsmen By El-rufai

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.