Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,184,667 members, 7,924,174 topics. Date: Sunday, 18 August 2024 at 03:53 AM

'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey - Politics (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey (51745 Views)

Poll: This is a serious matter. Whose side are you on?

Nigeria: 80% (294 votes)
Oprah Winfrey: 19% (69 votes)
This poll has ended

Apc Gov Are Corrupt: Says Who????? / Every Nigerian Billionaire Is Corrupt, Says Former Minister Akinyemi / All Nigerian Military Head Of State Are Corrupt Including General Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by beetintin(m): 8:20am On Jul 30, 2007
Maybe you and denex should face the Nigerians spoiling our image home and abroad.
I don't know why you are all making noise when no link has been provided to
support whether O said what has been ascribed to her.

Keep making noise you hear.

A t least am happy in nigeria we don't have high percentage of children that got involve in drug at early age.I was in East london sumtimes back what i saw there kept me thinkin for days. see young children ,11yrs old or thereabout already nvolve in drugs alot of children like that.join gangs at a very young age. a lot of youth that don't even know what they want in life.carrying guns up and down

Which part of Nigeria do you stay? I am sure not in Lagos, because if you do, you will
witness a lot of this going on in places like AJ City, Ojuelegba, Yaba, Ebute Metta, and
several other parts of Lagos.

Because of the hardship that has being caused a lot of people, you see even 8 year olds
being conductors in buses all around. Have you heard of the word "Osanle" before.
They seem to be everywhere now.

Let us fix our own side of the story and others will learn to respect us cool
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by zaksman(m): 8:35am On Jul 30, 2007
This f**king Opera woman said what she said cz she heard pple saying that dangote is richer than her.
she made that statement out of frustration and envy.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by MILITIA(f): 10:17am On Jul 30, 2007
Let us wait and see if we will read anything new when we get to page 25 of this thread.-----------  Till then chilling under bed watching cartoons!!!!! tongue
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by somze(f): 10:39am On Jul 30, 2007
I love cartoons grin
*Am i invited*
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by MILITIA(f): 10:49am On Jul 30, 2007
Sure!!! If you like crowds!!!! grin
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by ebos(m): 10:54am On Jul 30, 2007
Hum, i'm speechless. Too much fuss from?
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by Afam(m): 11:03am On Jul 30, 2007
Name callings directed at Oprah based on what she was alleged to have said is in order.

Unless she did not say these things I find it supremely hard to see reason with people that are defending her.

Even if some Nigerians are corrupt it does not make every Nigerian corrupt and this is a fact.

Only stupi, lazy and greedy people fall for scam, abi no be the same letter wey we dey see for our emails everyday?

Meanwhile, the sheer number of scam emails come from the West where run many small scale fraud based businesses. it's just that Nigerians run large scale ones in terms of the financial angle.

@texxaspette,

You once accused people of attacking her even when your search online did not produce anything concerning the interview. You later came back (probably after seeing the story) to claim that at the end of the interview she said not all Nigerians are 419. So, can you tell us what she said in its entirety?
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by somze(f): 11:15am On Jul 30, 2007
Afam
She did not say these things and it has been shown. Please go through the thread.

Militia
Crowd? If they're all nice folks why not wink
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by Angelgirl(f): 11:20am On Jul 30, 2007
I have been a Fan of Oprah's for a while now, but I dont support her statements at all, i wish there was a way she can read all this response. If anyone knows any of her website or email, where one can post an opinion please let us know.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by Afam(m): 11:32am On Jul 30, 2007
somze:

Afam
She did not say these things and it has been shown. Please go through the thread.

A simple search on google for "oprah's interview on nigerian being 419" will show otherwise.

Search results from the page provide links to

http://nigeriaworld.com/feature/publication/odetunde/072707.html

http://www.naijarules.com/vb/news-current-affairs-theatre-culture-politics/23638-all-nigerians-corrupt-oprah-winfrey.html
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by somze(f): 11:38am On Jul 30, 2007
Afam
How is it that all our sources are from Nigerian Newspaper or Nigerian online journals that quote Nigerian newspaper?

Your second link is a forum like this one. Need i continue?

Just take a quick browse through the thread, especially the one before my first post on this issue. We even have links of the show transcript or something like that and what she said was not similar to what we accuse her of.

This is just a media craze.

Again like i've said before, if anyone says All . . . - it is an exaggeration, a generalisation of fallacy. All men are liars or All politicians are thieves in no way means that each element in the set is guilty of the crime accused.

Please reconsider your stance on this matter.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by tkb417(m): 12:40pm On Jul 30, 2007
@Militia
i think ur comments really lacks humour, i wont say more than that. you labbled opah credible! Pls, lets know the basis for your 'tag'. if she had really said that about Nigeria. Then, i doubt if shes really got the temperament to maintain her 'credibility' So much happens in the States, bank robberies,gun wielding,rape,etc. i think we can still remember the virginia tech incident. i dont think she came out to label the koreans as murderers.

All the hue and cry about Nigeria is uncalled for. no matter how 9ja is, we still hold our own anywhere in the world. im sure you know a Nigerian is the VP of worldbank. Thats an enviable position a criminal and fraudster would never attain no matter the intensity of the lobbying. So, is Okonjo not a Nigerian anymore? she had better start making sence or. i think Militia too needs to start reading and understanding in between the lines. she was wrong if really did say so. 419 is a social menace we all need to curb. usa also has got a whole lot of social ills they need to do a lot about.

@ all
all americans no matter the level of education are fornicators,adulterers etc. imagine someone in Nigeria saying that and going ahead to say 9ja should severe tieswith america so as not to contact hiv. does that make sence? im sure it doesnt. but doesnt an average american have sex b4 age 14. we all have issues. she has her own. God says we should marry and bear children. how come she isnt married. shes a witch for real. i hate her for all these
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by sylvao2000(m): 12:49pm On Jul 30, 2007
@Militia you are always every were when will you ever change though sometimes you talk like a mature person but most time just like loose apple.

l feel so sorry for you were are you really from Nigeria or were if you agree with oprah that average Nigerian is corrupt then you are part the cause.

Be wise be reasonable and change before is too late ok that is just what l have for you now
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by Nobody: 2:40pm On Jul 30, 2007
yup sorry 4 not telling this from the begging of the threat.

the so called oprah applied for Nigerian citizenship but the Nigeria government refuses saying that she is too ugly, becose there is no tribe in Nigeria that she can claim. grin grin grin

i guess thats why she said that. and weather she likes it or not Dngote is richer than her. wink

and she can never claim america hahahaha but as for us, thank god we have a country. 9ja

heart beat of Africa.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by MILITIA(f): 3:58pm On Jul 30, 2007
somze:

Afam

Militia
Crowd? If they're all nice folks why not wink

Na trouble you dey find so! grin

tkb417:

@Militia
i think your comments really lacks humour, i wont say more than that. you labbled opah credible! Please, lets know the[b] basis for your 'tag'[/b]. if she had really said that about Nigeria. Then, i doubt if shes really got the temperament to maintain her 'credibility' So much happens in the States, bank robberies,gun wielding,sex-attack,etc. i think we can still remember the virginia tech incident. i don't think she came out to label the koreans as murderers.

All the hue and cry about Nigeria is uncalled for. no matter how Nigeria is, we still hold our own anywhere in the world. im sure you know a Nigerian is the VP of worldbank. Thats an enviable position a criminal and fraudster would never attain no matter the intensity of the lobbying. So, is Okonjo not a Nigerian anymore? she had better start making sence or. i[b] think Militia too needs to start reading and understanding in between the lines[/b]. she was wrong if really did say so. 419 is a social menace we all need to curb. usa also has got a whole lot of social ills they need to do a lot about.

@ all
all americans no matter the level of education are fornicators,adulterers etc. imagine someone in Nigeria saying that and going ahead to say Nigeria should severe tieswith america so as not to contact hiv. does that make sence? im sure it doesnt.

but doesnt an average american have sex before age 14. we all have issues. she has her own. God says we should marry and bear children. how come she isnt married. shes a witch for real. i hate her for all these

Please when ever that kain kain clears from your eyes, re-read your posts ok?  Sorry I can't understand  this your "yahoo" medium of communication!!!! Seun needs to ask people for W.A.S.C or W.A.E.C or G.C.E or or G.S.S. results or whatever it is called now in Nigeria with a minimum of 9 credits to log on to Nairaland!!!! What is this shocked

When did I "labbled" Opah as credible  If you provide evidence of this then I can perhaps let you know the[b] "basis of my tag"!!![/b] kiss

sylvao2000:

@Militia you are always every were when will you ever change though sometimes you talk like a mature person but most time just like loose apple.

l feel so sorry for you were are you really from Nigeria or were if you agree with oprah that average Nigerian is corrupt then you are part the cause.

Be wise be reasonable and change before is too late ok that is just what l have for you now

E DON HAPPEN!!! Look!  If you call Militia one more time, Seun's beeper will go off!!!  He is tired of receiving complaints about Militia!  Sorry!!! I cannot change darling.  I am married to all Nairalanders here, including you!  If you do not like me the way I am, please feel free to get a divorce!!! And please pay my legal fees too! tongue  I have accepted all of you for your rudeness and sheer boredom! If you are tired of "our" marriage please file a divorce ok! kiss

Now this thread is becoming interesting!!!
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by MILITIA(f): 4:03pm On Jul 30, 2007
nurexg:

yup sorry 4 not telling this from the begging of the threat.

the so called oprah applied for Nigerian citizenship but the Nigeria government refuses saying that she is too ugly, becose there is no tribe in Nigeria that she can claim. grin grin grin

i guess thats why she said that. and weather she likes it or not Dngote is richer than her. wink

and she can never claim america hahahaha but as for us, thank god we have a country. Nigeria

heart beat of Africa.

Really? Please OBJ and Oprah who fine pass oh shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by Nobody: 4:07pm On Jul 30, 2007
MILITIA:

Really? Please OBJ and Oprah who fine pass oh shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
SORRY WOOOOO SHE TRY CLAIM SAY OBJ NA HER COUSINE BUT LIE LIE 9JA GOVERMENT NO GREE.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by tkb417(m): 4:09pm On Jul 30, 2007
sorry if its biting you. olodo like u. i no get your time
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by tkb417(m): 4:22pm On Jul 30, 2007
yahoo medium of communication. my friends wont stop laffin at this comic of the house. try and make some little sence. 'Labbled' was a typo. anyhow, u sure need to review your GCSE too. sure u wrote it urself? or why on earth will you say "when did i labbled"

ur own kain kain needs to clear b4 u post on nairaland. proper yahoogurl
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by pmdaboh(f): 4:22pm On Jul 30, 2007
[b]I don't believe Oprah said that!  I am an African American woman married to a Nigerian man.  Prayerfully, he will join me in the next few months.  I saw a special where Oprah was interviewing women who had been taken advantage of by Nigerian scammers, and each one told their story.  At the end of the special on television, Oprah said, "This is in no way to say ALL Nigerians are like this, but these particular "isolated" incidents occurred with Nigerian men".  She made that comment out of her own mouth.  

Now tell me, why would she turn right around and say something that negative about Nigerians.  Don't you know that Oprah has to be very careful not to attack any group of people, business, industry, etc., or she can be held legally liable for those words.  She and her producers are not stupid.  They, even if Oprah herself wanted to make a horrible comment like that, would not allow it.  Oprah is not so big in that her show cannot be cancelled if she breaks those rules by verbally debasing or attacking a select group of people.

Oprah is too wise for that.  There are just as many, probably more, corrupt people living in America that there are in Nigeria.   Why not get the "true" facts before you drag someone's name and reputation through the mud.  How would you like that to happen to you.  I would have NEVER posted the comment to get this discussion underway unless I had checked out those comments from the producers of the show--not some words written by someone else.  You can be sued in America for slandering someone's name!   lipsrsealed

I, all too well, know how if feels to have people look at Nigerians and Nigeria in a negative manner, for I am experiencing that first hand by being married to a Nigerian man.  Some people are cruel, prejudice, and just negative due to the reputation of "some" Nigerians.  But do you actually think Oprah, who has been on television for years, donated so much money, time, and resources into Africa, knows all the legal ramifications of attacking someone or a group of people in a negative way on her show, would jeopardize ALL THAT SHE HAS ACCOMPLISHED and say something like that.

Verify your facts from her producers!  Until then, please find something else to talk about.
[/b]
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by somze(f): 4:28pm On Jul 30, 2007
Militia

Which kind trouble? You want me to come or not? angry angry angry
I go vex start war o angry

Meanwhile, na only cartoon? NO bbq or chips? You no sabe cook? tongue grin
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by champredd(m): 6:09pm On Jul 30, 2007
Who cares about Oprah, I don't think an educated individual could did what she was said to have done. Who knows maybe she had fallen victim due to her own greed, and now using her status to drag Nigeria in dirt. I suspected she had a personal grudge against Nigeria for reasons not known, but that is her problem.

Nigeria is growing now, God with us nothing can derail our progress.

In God We Trust
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by Elgaxton(m): 6:49pm On Jul 30, 2007
@Militia

are you married to me too?

I go like see ur pix sha!
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by redsun(m): 7:06pm On Jul 30, 2007
The former head of world bank,an american was recently fired for corruption,big time americans are very corrupt on a very high scale,it is just that people are too consume in their day to day struggle to bother,couple with the fact that the basics have been taken care of.Talk about recent british,saudi arms deal,the corruption scandal that was openly sqash by blair in the name of national security.Let's forget about oprah and deal with the true fact that nigerian system is hopelessly corrupt and  because of that the country is a mess and the people are desperate. Let's not measure our moral standard with the west because in the real sense,it's not something to be proud of,the root cause of africa problems today is from the west.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by seun001(m): 7:47pm On Jul 30, 2007
pmdaboh:

[b]I don't believe Oprah said that! I am an African American woman married to a Nigerian man. Prayerfully, he will join me in the next few months. I saw a special where Oprah was interviewing women who had been taken advantage of by Nigerian scammers, and each one told their story. At the end of the special on television, Oprah said, "This is in no way to say ALL Nigerians are like this, but these particular "isolated" incidents occurred with Nigerian men". She made that comment out of her own mouth.

Now tell me, why would she turn right around and say something that negative about Nigerians. Don't you know that Oprah has to be very careful not to attack any group of people, business, industry, etc., or she can be held legally liable for those words. She and her producers are not stupid. They, even if Oprah herself wanted to make a horrible comment like that, would not allow it. Oprah is not so big in that her show cannot be cancelled if she breaks those rules by verbally debasing or attacking a select group of people.

Oprah is too wise for that. There are just as many, probably more, corrupt people living in America that there are in Nigeria. Why not get the "true" facts before you drag someone's name and reputation through the mud. How would you like that to happen to you. I would have NEVER posted the comment to get this discussion underway unless I had checked out those comments from the producers of the show--not some words written by someone else. You can be sued in America for slandering someone's name! lipsrsealed

I, all too well, know how if feels to have people look at Nigerians and Nigeria in a negative manner, for I am experiencing that first hand by being married to a Nigerian man. Some people are cruel, prejudice, and just negative due to the reputation of "some" Nigerians. But do you actually think Oprah, who has been on television for years, donated so much money, time, and resources into Africa, knows all the legal ramifications of attacking someone or a group of people in a negative way on her show, would jeopardize ALL THAT SHE HAS ACCOMPLISHED and say something like that.

Verify your facts from her producers! Until then, please find something else to talk about.
[/b]

TELL THEM OOOO!!!!
no be small thing ooooo.nobody was able to confirm if she said it or not but still they just went ahead and wrote rubbish.
too bad Oprah is still making her millions and not bothered with all this.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by k0be: 7:48pm On Jul 30, 2007
Oprah is still making her millions and not bothered with all this.
right on the money baby.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by oge4real(f): 10:40pm On Jul 30, 2007
To imagine that I have a liking for that woman is making me nauseated right now.Can you imagine the impetus?
Thirty years ago, Madam Winfrey was black, now she is"colourless"!
I do not think she was normal when making such a terrible assersion about 140million people.And I willrecommend that she be reprimanded by the appropriate authorities to serve as deterant to other international busybodies from defaming the sovereignity of this great nation.
As for relationship with America,who cares?They can all jump into the BUSH and remain there. angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by BABEELOVE(f): 11:03pm On Jul 30, 2007
Nothing new here-----moving on the next topic. Gosh---Nairaland is boring today! angry
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by grafikdon: 11:14pm On Jul 30, 2007
MILITIA:

Really? Please OBJ and Oprah who fine pass oh

Obj na Man,Oprah na woman. . . apples and oranges. If Oprah na man, she go be one serious atutupoyoyo.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by Nobody: 2:21am On Jul 31, 2007
pmdaboh:

[b]I don't believe Oprah said that! I am an African American woman married to a Nigerian man. Prayerfully, he will join me in the next few months. I saw a special where Oprah was interviewing women who had been taken advantage of by Nigerian scammers, and each one told their story. At the end of the special on television, Oprah said, "This is in no way to say ALL Nigerians are like this, but these particular "isolated" incidents occurred with Nigerian men". She made that comment out of her own mouth.

Now tell me, why would she turn right around and say something that negative about Nigerians. Don't you know that Oprah has to be very careful not to attack any group of people, business, industry, etc., or she can be held legally liable for those words. She and her producers are not stupid. They, even if Oprah herself wanted to make a horrible comment like that, would not allow it. Oprah is not so big in that her show cannot be cancelled if she breaks those rules by verbally debasing or attacking a select group of people.

Oprah is too wise for that. There are just as many, probably more, corrupt people living in America that there are in Nigeria. Why not get the "true" facts before you drag someone's name and reputation through the mud. How would you like that to happen to you. I would have NEVER posted the comment to get this discussion underway unless I had checked out those comments from the producers of the show--not some words written by someone else. You can be sued in America for slandering someone's name! lipsrsealed

I, all too well, know how if feels to have people look at Nigerians and Nigeria in a negative manner, for I am experiencing that first hand by being married to a Nigerian man. Some people are cruel, prejudice, and just negative due to the reputation of "some" Nigerians. But do you actually think Oprah, who has been on television for years, donated so much money, time, and resources into Africa, knows all the legal ramifications of attacking someone or a group of people in a negative way on her show, would jeopardize ALL THAT SHE HAS ACCOMPLISHED and say something like that.

Verify your facts from her producers! Until then, please find something else to talk about.
[/b]

One of the few individuals with complete thinking faculty on this thread

besides myself,mili mili and a handful of others grin
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by Ndipe(m): 4:17am On Jul 31, 2007
Do you guys honestly think that Oprah is losing sleep over the vituperations poured out on her by Nigerians on this board? Not that I am defending her or anything, but before alluding a quote to another person, you have to do some investigation, instead of relying on hearsays and all that. A prime example would be Tom Hilfiger and the nasty joke circulated on the board about his comments about blacks on Oprah show. Even after Oprah has gone publicly to announce that Hilfiger has never been a guest on her show, the same rumor is going on the internet.

Folks need to get busy instead of getting worked up over unsubstatantiated rumors!
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by Chiori(m): 5:22am On Jul 31, 2007
I confess I went off my lid, but having done some research, I cannot find evidence anywhere that she actually said all Nigerians are corrupt. This is the very last time I will raise dust over some unconfirmed event. In order to be unbiased, I suggest you follow these links below.

http://sunday83.tigblog.org/post/232251

http://www.punchontheweb.com/Articl, 00707260133325

http://www.naijarules.com/vb/news-current-affairs-theatre-culture-politics/23638-all-nigerians-corrupt-oprah-winfrey.html

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (23) (Reply)

"Buhari's Men Kidnapped Chibok Girls" - Fani Kayode / Fayose's Statement On His Threat To Dump PDP / Buhari’s Last Message To Nigerians Before Election Day (Full Text)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.