Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,790 members, 7,886,111 topics. Date: Wednesday, 10 July 2024 at 10:34 PM

The Pathway To Become 3D Character Artist - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / The Pathway To Become 3D Character Artist (1024 Views)

Decided To Learn 3D Character Modelling. / How To Create 3d Character Animation / How To Make 3d Character Animation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Pathway To Become 3D Character Artist by xavi50(m): 5:13pm On Nov 16, 2021
Here I will outline the do's and don't that will save you lots of headache in your 3D journey . This guide is for beginners but more for intermediate users will equallybe dropping soon.
1. Choose a Major: it is common for newbies that wants or has just joined the game to think anything that is 3D are just one. Like you need to decide the kind of artist you wanna be. E.g we have Artist that does human realistic creations in 3D it's not same as let's say a 3D artist working at Disney that creates more of stylized cartoon characters for film. By choosing a particular Pathway will save you time and efforts and equally position you better to tackle just one beasts alone.
But that does not mean you can not learn to do boths but in the real world you hardly gonna be working in a company where you gonna be making those two opposite characters. Also you need to be exact on what your Concentration is like do you wanna be doing just character making or Animation or Rigging. These 3 are the core pillars of 3D production and it's not a one man job when it comes to a real 3D projects. Of course make sure you learn to do every one of them because it will help you fit in easily in any role up in studios out there.
Personally I do Stylized Characters that has lots of resemblance to human beings but more like caricature looking 3d characters. It's gonna depend on your interests.

2. Laptop capacity: Won't say much here but make sure your laptop meets the minimum requirements to perform 3D making with it. It does not matter the brand company it is but the CPU itself. If possible get a dedicated graphic laptop.

3. 3D Package: This here is just as important bullets is to a soldier. Of course they are do similar tasks but the workflow can vary. Today we have quite a lot of them but personally I prefer Autodesk Maya and Zbrush. Some use Blender, 3D max and others but somehow it just comes down to preference although in most cases you as a starter will have to go with the ones been used by your tutor.

I will continue the post with more updates and maybe some short clips on my 3d making process.

Hang on tight in the meanwhile, if you interested to learn 3D Animation just pm me and we can make it happen.
Happy 3D World, have fun.

1 Like

Re: The Pathway To Become 3D Character Artist by StylesX: 8:55pm On Nov 16, 2021
xavi50:
Here I will outline the do's and don't that will save you lots of headache in your 3D journey . This guide is for beginners but more for intermediate users will equallybe dropping soon.
1. Choose a Major: it is common for newbies that wants or has just joined the game to think anything that is 3D are just one. Like you need to decide the kind of artist you wanna be. E.g we have Artist that does human realistic creations in 3D it's not same as let's say a 3D artist working at Disney that creates more of stylized cartoon characters for film. By choosing a particular Pathway will save you time and efforts and equally position you better to tackle just one beasts alone.
But that does not mean you can not learn to do boths but in the real world you hardly gonna be working in a company where you gonna be making those two opposite characters. Also you need to be exact on what your Concentration is like do you wanna be doing just character making or Animation or Rigging. These 3 are the core pillars of 3D production and it's not a one man job when it comes to a real 3D projects. Of course make sure you learn to do every one of them because it will help you fit in easily in any role up in studios out there.
Personally I do Stylized Characters that has lots of resemblance to human beings but more like caricature looking 3d characters. It's gonna depend on your interests.

2. Laptop capacity: Won't say much here but make sure your laptop meets the minimum requirements to perform 3D making with it. It does not matter the brand company it is but the CPU itself. If possible get a dedicated graphic laptop.

3. 3D Package: This here is just as important bullets is to a soldier. Of course they are do similar tasks but the workflow can vary. Today we have quite a lot of them but personally I prefer Autodesk Maya and Zbrush. Some use Blender, 3D max and others but somehow it just comes down to preference although in most cases you as a starter will have to go with the ones been used by your tutor.

I will continue the post with more updates and maybe some short clips on my 3d making process.

Hang on tight in the meanwhile, if you interested to learn 3D Animation just pm me and we can make it happen.
No contact, how do I reach you.
Re: The Pathway To Become 3D Character Artist by Klastivity(m): 10:13pm On Nov 16, 2021
Nice write up. I use Autodesk Maya but I want to learn Zbrush for sculpting special characters. Models that you can just think, draw and then bring it to live
Re: The Pathway To Become 3D Character Artist by xavi50(m): 9:15pm On Nov 17, 2021
StylesX:
No contact, how do I reach you.
Ok but I just hope this won't get me banned. Pm me on saviourihekeatgmail.com
Re: The Pathway To Become 3D Character Artist by xavi50(m): 9:23pm On Nov 17, 2021
Klastivity:
Nice write up. I use Autodesk Maya but I want to learn Zbrush for sculpting special characters. Models that you can just think, draw and then bring it to live
Yes I personally urge you to start digging into Zbrush for your characters. It allows you focus more on the creative side than topology. However I would use Maya to retopologize my Sculpts.
I kinda use both softwares interchangeably during the process.
Re: The Pathway To Become 3D Character Artist by Sheriman(m): 9:37pm On Nov 17, 2021
xavi50:

Yes I personally urge you to start digging into Zbrush for your characters. It allows you focus more on the creative side than topology. However I would use Maya to retopologize my Sculpts.
I kinda use both softwares interchangeably during the process.
What is your Laptop specifications
Re: The Pathway To Become 3D Character Artist by gfaruk(m): 2:33pm On Nov 24, 2021
If u have a whatsapp group pls add me, am a newbie 07044904220
Re: The Pathway To Become 3D Character Artist by joshkke(m): 5:49pm On Dec 27, 2021
Looking for a CGI artist for compositing 3d cg elements into 4k live action film. Do you do stuff like this pls?

xavi50:

(1) (Reply)

Need A Website? Am A Website Designer / Post The Best Picture / To Re-size Designed Work

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.