Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,146 members, 7,880,596 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 09:59 PM

How To Choose A Prudent Supervisor? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Choose A Prudent Supervisor? (111 Views)

What You Must Consider Before You Choose A Course To Study / UNN Student Who Claimed Unfair Treatment By His Supervisor, Clears The Air / Nigerian Student Laments As Her Sexual Harasser Becomes Her Project Supervisor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Choose A Prudent Supervisor? by Lukgaf(m): 8:07am On Nov 17, 2021
Once a wise man advised me to carefully choose a life partner and research supervisor since they may make or break my career. Some people are fortunate enough to have excellent supervisors who assist their students in all aspects of their lives, including personal and research matters. But that is not the case with me; therefore, I am sharing my story, hoping that someone else will benefit.

According to my observations, most young students are eager to travel abroad and begin their research without considering that receiving an admissions notice does not guarantee success. Before leaving for your research experience abroad, thoroughly research your supervisor.

Here are some guidelines for prospective students.
1. First, you should be certain of your research topic and your expertise in the relevant field of study.
2. Before working with any supervisor, you should:
a) Meet his previous students and notice their mental health and attitude.
b) Note the number of students who have completed their research under his guidance.
c) Find out whether this supervisor has any ongoing projects relevant to your research area.
d) Is the professor friendly to his students?

In China, where obtaining a supervisor is difficult, universities accept your Ph.D. application without an acceptance letter and randomly assign you a supervisor. Certain universities or supervisors conduct pre-admission interviews. In such cases, students attempt to demonstrate their abilities, efforts, earnestness, and aptitude for that university or research topic. Again, we, as students, assume that they have the right to accept or reject us.

Likewise, you have the right to conduct an interview with your professor and ask open-ended questions without fear or reluctance. If you are South Asian, particularly from Pakistan, you may be fearful of taking risks or missing an opportunity, or you may be hesitant to ask a direct question. As I stated at the outset, the supervisor is as critical as your life partner; consider joining his lab and researching his profile, projects, and current students' mental health a hundred times before joining. The Ph.D. is a marathon race; some supervisors will push you so hard and drain your energy that you will be exhausted during your first year of research.

The crux:
1- Do not run for the scholarship if the supervisor's research area does not fit yours.
2- Don't be hesitant. There is no difference between being respectful and being straightforward.
3- Keep all chat/email records.
4- During the kick-off meeting, inquire about your graduation requirements.
5- Change supervisors as soon as possible if they do not respect you, do not provide adequate guidance, or do not provide adequate resources.

https://hotspotisf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=311&p=894#p894

(1) (Reply)

What Are The Best Books To Prepare For UGC NET Paper-i? / Rockgarden Foundation Names Bursary Award After Bolaji Esan / Help On Post Graduate Application

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.