Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,992 members, 7,873,199 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 09:48 AM

Working As A Teller In A Bank And Working In An Accounting/audting Firm - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Working As A Teller In A Bank And Working In An Accounting/audting Firm (10621 Views)

Man With Two Degrees And Phd Now Working As Labourer At Dangote Refinery / Can I Resign In The Bank And Concentrate With The POS Business / Access Bank And It's Age Requirement For Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Working As A Teller In A Bank And Working In An Accounting/audting Firm by Depressed101: 2:02pm On Nov 17, 2021
Kokadomfreedom:
Good day, please, i will need your advice on this two options available to me at the moment. I am a graduate of Accounting in a state of dilema on which of these two options to choose. I have an offer to work as teller in a bank with #80k plus as salary and also to work in an Accounting/Auditing firm with a take home pay of #50k with an option of enrolling for ICAN in the next diet. I am confused on which one to go for career wise. Your advice needed urgently!
take the second one you have a better chances of advancing your career in the second option

1 Like

Re: Working As A Teller In A Bank And Working In An Accounting/audting Firm by Bignuell(m): 2:02pm On Nov 17, 2021
Ask yourself, what do you want for you?
Re: Working As A Teller In A Bank And Working In An Accounting/audting Firm by treesun: 2:03pm On Nov 17, 2021
Kokadomfreedom:
Good day, please, i will need your advice on this two options available to me at the moment. I am a graduate of Accounting in a state of dilema on which of these two options to choose. I have an offer to work as teller in a bank with #80k plus as salary and also to work in an Accounting/Auditing firm with a take home pay of #50k with an option of enrolling for ICAN in the next diet. I am confused on which one to go for career wise. Your advice needed urgently!

Accounting /Auditing firm, you have grace to grow and earn more in two years time.

1 Like

Re: Working As A Teller In A Bank And Working In An Accounting/audting Firm by Osyxcel(m): 2:03pm On Nov 17, 2021
I'd advice you to take the Accounting firm job if you are looking at taking your ICAN exams. Once you qualify, you'd have opportunity to earn way more in a few years time. You can even open your Accounting/consulting firm after few years post-qualification experience.

With the Accounting firm, you are always afforded study leave whenever you want to sit for your ICAN exams. You'll also have more time to study for your exams and your experiences on the field can help you pass your exams quickly.

1 Like

Re: Working As A Teller In A Bank And Working In An Accounting/audting Firm by Rilwayne001: 2:07pm On Nov 17, 2021
Kokadomfreedom:

How did you apply for the bank teller job?

And is it contract staffing?
Re: Working As A Teller In A Bank And Working In An Accounting/audting Firm by aikyg(m): 2:11pm On Nov 17, 2021
Take the accounting firm, long as you are not working as a receptionist.
Re: Working As A Teller In A Bank And Working In An Accounting/audting Firm by Amowoyagidele: 2:12pm On Nov 17, 2021
Expansion of POS business might still affect tellers/cashier.
Resumption & closing time schedule as 08:00hrs-19:00hrs because is necessary you balance ur account before signing out.
As teller, u can’t escape shortage of cash while attending to customers.
A Bank teller also go to work on Saturday for batch checking.
I advise you to ignore and follow other part.

1 Like

Re: Working As A Teller In A Bank And Working In An Accounting/audting Firm by famouscargo4u: 2:13pm On Nov 17, 2021
Kokadomfreedom:

Choose the audit firm and thank me later. It will enable you to learn more and gain useful experience in accounting and audit. Since you also have a plan to enrol in ICAN, this is the best decision for you. You can work ten years in the bank as a contract teller staff and have nothing to show for it. With the audit/accounting practise, even though the pay is poor, you will gain enough experience that will qualify you for jobs that will pay you #250k-#500k/ month in few years.

1 Like

Re: Working As A Teller In A Bank And Working In An Accounting/audting Firm by anizy(f): 2:16pm On Nov 17, 2021
Go for the Audit Firm, tellering doesn't pay. No promotion as a teller, but as an auditor you can develop yourself.

1 Like

Re: Working As A Teller In A Bank And Working In An Accounting/audting Firm by wunmi590(m): 2:19pm On Nov 17, 2021
Kokadomfreedom:

Please go for the bolded, you have more to learn from the audit firm than just working as a mere teller....

If you work in the audit firm, you have more hand on experience about audits, which would prepare and expand you for future auditing firms...

If you also finish up your ICAN is a plus to your cv, you become hot cake...

But the bone of contention is that, make sure you master the auditing, if you finally chose that, because if you wants to switch to another company, they mostly ask for an accountant with audit experience, but if you work in the bank, you won'tever have that audit experience...

Wish you well in your future endeavor

1 Like

Re: Working As A Teller In A Bank And Working In An Accounting/audting Firm by Adgraced: 2:43pm On Nov 17, 2021
Go with the Audit firm. Working in a bank will majorly restrict your career opportunities in just banks. But with audit experience you can work any where. oil company, banks, consulting, multinational, own-practice. Speaking from experience.

1 Like

Re: Working As A Teller In A Bank And Working In An Accounting/audting Firm by firdouz: 2:51pm On Nov 17, 2021
Its advisable you take the audit firm job. From audit assignments, you can connect and get better jobs from clients' place or connections. It even encourages you to intensify efforts on your ICAN cos of the caliber of people around you.Tellering job will tie you down, it is redundant and you might not be converted cos I am very sure it is contract even if you have MBA or professional certification. I have been there. Thank God for mercies.

1 Like

Re: Working As A Teller In A Bank And Working In An Accounting/audting Firm by Mcslize: 2:51pm On Nov 17, 2021
Kokadomfreedom:

If I were you, I would choose the Accounting/Auditing job. Why? Because there is no career path working as a Teller in a Bank.

I would rather build my experience and create a solid career path with the Accounting/Auditing job. Don't allow money be your motivating factor for now. Build your experience.

Life is a common sense which is not common with most people.

4 Likes

Re: Working As A Teller In A Bank And Working In An Accounting/audting Firm by jeffteddy: 2:52pm On Nov 17, 2021
stop thinking, the worst mistake you will make now is to take the teller job

2 Likes

Re: Working As A Teller In A Bank And Working In An Accounting/audting Firm by Simplythebest: 2:54pm On Nov 17, 2021
Don't look at the salary cus the difference is just 30k. U should be looking at what u want in the next 4 to 5 years. Bank teller is not a career and is slavery. Better go for auditing firm for ur better future

2 Likes

Re: Working As A Teller In A Bank And Working In An Accounting/audting Firm by lekonso: 2:54pm On Nov 17, 2021
If you are not qualified as a chartered accountant, in future you will regret it seriously. How much is #80,000 that you want to regret in your future. Go for the accounting firm and register for ICAN and make sure you qualify. Forget about those who are qualified and not able to get jobs, do you have the same destiny. You never know what opportunities that can come your way in the future, then you start regretting if you are not qualified, then it will be too late for you.

2 Likes

Re: Working As A Teller In A Bank And Working In An Accounting/audting Firm by oluspicy: 3:07pm On Nov 17, 2021
Kokadomfreedom:

I will advise you to consider the Accounting/ Audit work. The experience you will gain there is more than working as a bank teller.

I've once worked as an account/ audit officer and I can tell you, the experience and exposure is great...although the pay is not much. In fact, it's from there I learnt how to use and set up Sage Peachtree Accounting Software amongst others.

Ask people working as bank teller and they will tell you their experiences.

My two pence.

2 Likes

Re: Working As A Teller In A Bank And Working In An Accounting/audting Firm by Melonny(m): 3:08pm On Nov 17, 2021
Kokadomfreedom:
I am an accountant and I know how you feel. Choose the audit/account firm. You will learn a lot, It is almost the busy time. After one year, you can japa.

1 Like

Re: Working As A Teller In A Bank And Working In An Accounting/audting Firm by Nobody: 3:13pm On Nov 17, 2021
If you want a career in accounting, working in an accounting firm will plant your feet in the profession. You will have tons of experience and it looks great on your resume. I started my career in a small accounting firm and was make N5000.00 a month while studying for my ICAN. One of those firms on Ikorodu Road and studied for my ICAN while working at the firm.

I had tons of exposure and the reason I got my breakthrough job was that I worked in that audit firm. It was one of the big conditions.
I was audited manufacturing firms, cooperative banks, government parastatals and had pretty much good exposures. My paycheck could hardly cover my transport fare but omo, you need to see me wear a 3-piece suit for a N5000 job.

Being a teller, on the other hand, you are not a full banking staff with no real banking experience, No real work experience beyond cash management skills and the job is very stressful and most of the time may not progress beyond the position.

cc Kokadomfreedom

2 Likes

Re: Working As A Teller In A Bank And Working In An Accounting/audting Firm by Yoighaman(m): 3:34pm On Nov 17, 2021
Kokadomfreedom:

Take the job in the accounting/audit firm. 7 years from now, you will thank God you took that decision.

1 Like

Re: Working As A Teller In A Bank And Working In An Accounting/audting Firm by Ehisod(m): 3:41pm On Nov 17, 2021
DO NOT CHOOSE THE TELLER JOB. AUDIT FIRM IS BETTER FOR YOUR PROFILE EVEN AFTER JUST 1 YEAR. DON'T MESS THIS UP MAN.

Kokadomfreedom:

1 Like

Re: Working As A Teller In A Bank And Working In An Accounting/audting Firm by AndSunGorilla: 3:48pm On Nov 17, 2021
Kokadomfreedom:
As someone with about 15 years work experience, please always think about the end from the beginning. Where do you think the Teller job can land you in 5 or 10 years and then also the accounting job as well? Since you are just starting your career please focus on learning and building up yourself, if your foundation is strong, the money will come. It may sound trite and senseless but that's my advice to you.
At the end of the day, oga, the choice is yours to make!!!

1 Like

Re: Working As A Teller In A Bank And Working In An Accounting/audting Firm by Anndrew(m): 3:51pm On Nov 17, 2021
Nairalanders,let help the op out...
Like for audit job share for teller job..highest number win...op,here lie ur a answer

1 Like

Re: Working As A Teller In A Bank And Working In An Accounting/audting Firm by chloride6: 3:53pm On Nov 17, 2021
Asking stupid questions...

L
Re: Working As A Teller In A Bank And Working In An Accounting/audting Firm by Eddee(m): 3:59pm On Nov 17, 2021
Kokadomfreedom:
Good day, please, i will need your advice on this two options available to me at the moment. I am a graduate of Accounting in a state of dilema on which of these two options to choose. I have an offer to work as teller in a bank with #80k plus as salary and also to work in an Accounting/Auditing firm with a take home pay of #50k with an option of enrolling for ICAN in the next diet . I am confused on which one to go for career wise. Your advice needed urgently!

Regardless of whether the audit firm will pay for ICAN enrolment or not. I’d strongly advise you to choose the audit firm. Financial audit/verification/investigation, compliance and assurance is a career path that you can easily branch out to Logistics and Supply, Finance and Admin, Accounting and even HR in two years if you are a fast learner. The contacts for networking required for your next career move are in the organization’s clientele.

1 Like

Re: Working As A Teller In A Bank And Working In An Accounting/audting Firm by mfm04622: 4:00pm On Nov 17, 2021
Kokadomfreedom:

Haba!!!

What is hard in this decision? Maybe it is hard since you are looking at it at the short term view.
That teller salary, that is what you will be collecting for a while ooo. There is no promotion in that job! It is only small small coin dey will be adding on the salary. Also, after 5 years, the possibility of being asked to go is VERY high!!!
So that accounting job give you the opportunity to sit for ICAN and get career progression. The choice is too easy. Forget that 30k extra and face the accounting job!

1 Like

Re: Working As A Teller In A Bank And Working In An Accounting/audting Firm by Tokkson: 4:00pm On Nov 17, 2021
Kokadomfreedom:

With this kind of question you asked, i sincerely doubt your intellectual capacity as an accounting graduate. That's if you actually did study accounting.
Re: Working As A Teller In A Bank And Working In An Accounting/audting Firm by moorevic(m): 4:19pm On Nov 17, 2021
Kokadomfreedom:

Go for the ICAN, it gives you a preview about the field more like on the job training. Hopefully it will be easier to pass the ICAN exams. Good luck mate

1 Like

Re: Working As A Teller In A Bank And Working In An Accounting/audting Firm by Jackipapa: 4:30pm On Nov 17, 2021
Your passion can bring anything down including MONEY!
Follow your heart and thank me later.

1 Like

Re: Working As A Teller In A Bank And Working In An Accounting/audting Firm by Pokerface001: 4:30pm On Nov 17, 2021
Kokadomfreedom:
Good day, please, i will need your advice on this two options available to me at the moment. I am a graduate of Accounting in a state of dilema on which of these two options to choose. I have an offer to work as teller in a bank with #80k plus as salary and also to work in an Accounting/Auditing firm with a take home pay of #50k with an option of enrolling for ICAN in the next diet. I am confused on which one to go for career wise. Your advice is needed urgently!

Go for the accounting job. It's hard when you start but it has a career path you can follow. A bank teller doesn't have that and in a few years time, you may feel trapped in that job. My two cents though.

1 Like

Re: Working As A Teller In A Bank And Working In An Accounting/audting Firm by Piekna(f): 4:41pm On Nov 17, 2021
Kokadomfreedom:

Dont allow the salary fool you, that teller job is nothing to write home about. In terms of experience, you get nothing. Skill improvement nko, nil. In first world countries that job is now outdated because of deposit ATMs, some banks are already introducing such machines so give or take a few years and the tellering job would be redundant.

The accountant on the other hand, now that’s a proper career which backed up with certifications like ICAN, you can scale up the corporate ladder and earn even better in future. It’s definitely a no-brainer, accountancy all the way

2 Likes

Re: Working As A Teller In A Bank And Working In An Accounting/audting Firm by Aganju849: 4:44pm On Nov 17, 2021
Kokadomfreedom:

Don't even think about it just go for the audit firm.

With your ICAN, in three years max you'll be earning seven or eight times what they are offering now. If you go to the bank your pay wont rise higher than maybe 150k, and you would have nothing to show for it because no time to study and take professonal exams and thus no growth.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Frustrated With My Career What Should I Do / Tradermoni, Marketmoni Activation And 15K Disbursement Takes Place In Makurdi / Strictly For Elect/elect Aspirants, Students, Engineers And Professionals.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.