Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,212 members, 7,880,782 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 06:45 AM

FG To Raise Power Tariff December, Begins Free Meters Purchase - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG To Raise Power Tariff December, Begins Free Meters Purchase (25137 Views)

DISCOs Now Selling FG’s Free Meters, Consumers Allege / IBEDC To Begin Distribution Of 100,000 Free Meters Next Week / FG Begins Nationwide Distribution Of 1m Free Meters In Kano, Kaduna, Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG To Raise Power Tariff December, Begins Free Meters Purchase by wirinet(m): 7:58am On Nov 18, 2021
teepain:

This is an option but it will cost Government a lot of money to reverse the privatization because of the contractual clauses that were included to discourage such.

The powerful people who bought NEPA (as it then was known) only did so to continue the milking of Nigerians.

It will take the Grace of God to get out of the clutches of this wicked and exploitative bunch.

We have not escaped the stupid P&ID case where nothing was sold but Nigeria is asked to pay billions of dollars and you want government to cancel a sale that's over 10 years
Re: FG To Raise Power Tariff December, Begins Free Meters Purchase by ezenna191(m): 8:00am On Nov 18, 2021
NERC plays no other role except regular increase of tariffs to suffer Nigerians. The capitalists are always ready to corruptly line their pockets for another increase well done. But the cries of poor Nigerians will forever meet them at their destiny's front. What goes around, surely comes around.
Re: FG To Raise Power Tariff December, Begins Free Meters Purchase by orikoku: 8:03am On Nov 18, 2021
Free metre purchase
Re: FG To Raise Power Tariff December, Begins Free Meters Purchase by PlanktonX: 8:05am On Nov 18, 2021
It is only in Nigeria that Govt will share 10 million items to 10 million people and 9.99 million of them will not see anything.

It is not about all these bogus promise, but selflessness to the people. The people just need a kind of govt they can trust.

Youths were massacre at the Lekki tollgate, yet they lies, and some people that the wrath of God will depart from their household also join them in the lie.

But truth prevails.
Re: FG To Raise Power Tariff December, Begins Free Meters Purchase by Angeltjazz2017(m): 8:06am On Nov 18, 2021
AsampeteNwaanyi:
angry

and to think that Yorubas are ready to vote this useless party just because of one criminal drug baron and fake pretentious pasta called Osibanjo.

honestly without hiding it
Yorubas are the one killing this country and I don't know why.
quite pathetic
and that's because they see election as football competition and not the opportunity to elect good governance.
if not tell me one single thing a common street man has ever benefited in this government since coming in

You have a good points but let me correct you with some things bro.Yoruba people are the most peaceful people in this country but there is no how you will see good that you will not see bad in a thing. Second,It’s not about party anymore it’s about the personality of the political offices holders. Most of our politicians are bad but not all of them.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG To Raise Power Tariff December, Begins Free Meters Purchase by LOVEGINO(m): 8:09am On Nov 18, 2021
We need to wake up ooooooo
Re: FG To Raise Power Tariff December, Begins Free Meters Purchase by teepain: 8:09am On Nov 18, 2021
backbencher:

While atiku was responsible for the privatisation process under Obasanjo the unbundling of phcn into discos and gencos took place under GEJ and by then atiku was out of power.

( Though atiku is alleged to own a stake in one of the discos. )

I am very much aware that the unbundling of PHCN into Discos and Gencos took place under GEJ. However, I singled out Atiku because the unbundling was in furtherance of the crazy privatization process of national assets which were often sold at undervalued costs.
Re: FG To Raise Power Tariff December, Begins Free Meters Purchase by handyman90: 8:09am On Nov 18, 2021
crossfm:
Hehehe.

They will keep on taking from the poor masses until they will have nothing else to give.

Shame on the people still supporting these guys in power,they have done absolutely nothing for close to 6years.

1 dollar to 1 naira is still loading.

We will fight insecurity and insurgency from the front is a mirage.

Reduction of fuel price is a lie from the pit of hell.

We will not seek medical attention outside Nigeria, this particular one is the biggest joke of the century. We know people who practically lives abroad. Our darling daddy can attest to that.

3 million jobs per year,hehehe,our resident zombies were employed in NNPC branch where the pay is 30k.
If I continue,we know I can't finish all the Lie's that was packaged for us that year.

I confirmed their wickedness and cluelessness when they attempted to take over the balance of all dormant accounts in Nigeria, as in attempted daylight robbery on the masses. Nothing really surprises me about them again, their intentions are known now..
Re: FG To Raise Power Tariff December, Begins Free Meters Purchase by Frankiss44(m): 8:10am On Nov 18, 2021
wirinet:

Will the government body that is suppose to regulate their activities do so outside existing laws or terms of the agreements?

So you mean among the terms of agreement is to allow these companies increase tariffs indiscriminately?
Re: FG To Raise Power Tariff December, Begins Free Meters Purchase by Nobody: 8:15am On Nov 18, 2021
Frankiss44:

So you mean among the terms of agreement is to allow these companies increase tariffs indiscriminately?

1. Price increases were written into the contract allowing for the setting up of the discos and gencos

2. Plus price increases have been a once in a year thing. You want ' indiscriminate' see South Africa where price for power can rise several times in a year and even twice a month at one time.

3 Even then price increases in Nigerian power sector still keep it below the cost of producing the power( the difference is paid by a subsidy which is partly funded by loans).
Re: FG To Raise Power Tariff December, Begins Free Meters Purchase by teepain: 8:15am On Nov 18, 2021
wirinet:

We have not escaped the stupid P&ID case where nothing was sold but Nigeria is asked to pay billions of dollars and you want government to cancel a sale that's over 10 years

Read my post again and you will see that I mentioned the huge penalty cost of terminating the contract.

My post is a response to a poster who wondered why FG hasn't terminated the contracts of the Discos and Gencos. In response to him, I conceded that contract termination is a possibility and pointed out to him the huge liability in penalty fees that will arise. So I wonder and ask you to point out to me where you arrived at your conclusion that I wanted "government to cancel a sale that is over 10 years" according to you.
Re: FG To Raise Power Tariff December, Begins Free Meters Purchase by faithfull18(f): 8:15am On Nov 18, 2021
GboyegaD:
FG knows how to inflict postings on the populace. Unfortunately, we will likely vote wrongly again in 2023.
Unfortunately, Nigerians are in love with their oppressors.
Re: FG To Raise Power Tariff December, Begins Free Meters Purchase by Frankiss44(m): 8:23am On Nov 18, 2021
backbencher:

1. Price increases were written into the contract allowing for the setting up of the discos and gencos

2. Plus price increases have been a once in a year thing. You want ' indiscriminate' see South Africa where price for power can rise several times in a year and even twice a month at one time.

3 Even then price increases in Nigerian power sector still keep it below the cost of producing the power( the difference is paid by a subsidy which is partly funded by loans).

Am pretty sure the price increase has been done more than twice this year already and you guys are always quick to compare this country to better countries, do u mind telling us the minimum wage in South Africa compared to ours that even more than 80 percent of the state governors could not afford to pay?

1 Like

Re: FG To Raise Power Tariff December, Begins Free Meters Purchase by Lacash: 8:30am On Nov 18, 2021
adenigga:

Source: https://punchng.com/FG-raises-power-tariff-December-begins-free-meters-purchase
This government and heartbreak be like rice and beans, Na so so bad news since they seize power�

1 Like

Re: FG To Raise Power Tariff December, Begins Free Meters Purchase by Nobody: 8:39am On Nov 18, 2021
Frankiss44:

Am pretty sure the price increase has been done more than twice this year already and you guys are always quick to compare this country to better countries, do u mind telling us the minimum wage in South Africa compared to ours that even more than 80 percent of the state governors could not afford to pay?

As I said the price increases here in this country have never been higher than the actual cost of producing the same power.

That means in practice that the power companies here have been running at a loss since 2013. Because by law they aren't allowed to charge higher than the cost of producing the power ( even now depending on the band you fall under your power bill is far less than what it costs to produce the same power).

Government pays them a subsidy which is partly funded by loans to make up for the losses. Even then it is never enough because the cost of producing power keeps on rising.

What is happening now is that government is cutting the amount paid in subsides to the power sector which manifests as price increases.

P.S : You and I know that most of us on this site are not earning minimum wage. We earn far more than that. Plus someone earning minimum wage is more likely to be paying less for power as per being on the lower band/living in an area on the lower band(most low income areas get less than 6 hours of power a day which is why they are called lower band . They pay less per kWh compared to higher band areas)

Finally there are cheaper solutions like MTN lumous solar power which charges a bill of less than 6000 naira monthly
Re: FG To Raise Power Tariff December, Begins Free Meters Purchase by crossfm: 8:43am On Nov 18, 2021
handyman90:

I confirmed their wickedness and cluelessness when they attempted to take over the balance of all dormant accounts in Nigeria, as in attempted daylight robbery on the masses. Nothing really surprises me about them again, their intentions are known now..

The situation is really pathetic. Their supporter's are really shameless.
Re: FG To Raise Power Tariff December, Begins Free Meters Purchase by wirinet(m): 8:55am On Nov 18, 2021
Frankiss44:

Yes. They are to increase tarrifs yearly according to inflation among other factors, and you know Nigeria's inflation rate is between 10 - 15%.

2 Likes

Re: FG To Raise Power Tariff December, Begins Free Meters Purchase by wirinet(m): 8:59am On Nov 18, 2021
Frankiss44:

Yes the price increase has been twice this year. That's because there was a moratorium on price increase the first term of Buhari for political reason. Now that Buhari is not seeking re-election he can now allow price increases to catch up with agreed yearly increases.

3 Likes

Re: FG To Raise Power Tariff December, Begins Free Meters Purchase by Lanretoye(m): 9:16am On Nov 18, 2021
Success77x:
Been a Nigerian is one of the slowest form of commiting suicide.
Anyone GOD has laid in his heart to show love should please show me love.

Inzero 1 585 three 3 six55 GTB
u hear wetin dem talk and u still dey beg.
Re: FG To Raise Power Tariff December, Begins Free Meters Purchase by Arabaincubus: 9:25am On Nov 18, 2021
It's like Buhari is no longer a friend of the poor. Look at how he wants to eliminate the poor in Nigeria.
Re: FG To Raise Power Tariff December, Begins Free Meters Purchase by Success77x: 9:27am On Nov 18, 2021
Lanretoye:
u hear wetin dem talk and u still dey beg.
Lols God no go shame us like the way you just shame me so.
cheers bro.
Re: FG To Raise Power Tariff December, Begins Free Meters Purchase by Hakeem3(m): 9:36am On Nov 18, 2021
adenigga:

Source: https://punchng.com/FG-raises-power-tariff-December-begins-free-meters-purchase
Let’s all channel our grievances to the 2023general election. I strongly believe that Apc & Pdp are not the solution but rather the problems to the woes of this country. The earlier we realize this the better for all of us.
Re: FG To Raise Power Tariff December, Begins Free Meters Purchase by edoairways: 9:36am On Nov 18, 2021
AsampeteNwaanyi:
angry

and to think that Yorubas are ready to vote this useless party just because of one criminal drug baron and fake pretentious pasta called Osibanjo.

honestly without hiding it
Yorubas are the one killing this country and I don't know why.
quite pathetic
and that's because they see election as football competition and not the opportunity to elect good governance.
if not tell me one single thing a common street man has ever benefited in this government since coming in
Young man, not all yorubas were/ are in support of APC.
Re: FG To Raise Power Tariff December, Begins Free Meters Purchase by edoairways: 9:37am On Nov 18, 2021
Arabaincubus:
It's like Buhari is no longer a friend of the poor. Look at how he wants to eliminate the poor in Nigeria.
Buhari is not aware of the policies put in place
Re: FG To Raise Power Tariff December, Begins Free Meters Purchase by edoairways: 9:50am On Nov 18, 2021
nnamdi640:
We warned them about voting for this man but they refused to listen rather they called us 5 percentile. If only they have listen to us, things wouldn't be bad as this. I don't think things will ever go back to the way it was again even if bubu stepdown.
Let's tell ourselves the truth for once, the former government contributed immensely to this. This does not exonerate this present regime who is synonymous with lies and hate
Re: FG To Raise Power Tariff December, Begins Free Meters Purchase by psucc(m): 9:51am On Nov 18, 2021
Authoreety:
Thunder fire anybody supporting this government!

I believe Nigerians have learnt the hard way..

Buhari will change the country, shebi Una Don see am.. Rubbish
Dem don bribe Ifa, Sango, Amadioha and all others. No longer thunder until 2024.
Re: FG To Raise Power Tariff December, Begins Free Meters Purchase by romero(m): 10:00am On Nov 18, 2021
RUMOR BECOMING A REALITY

We are hearing a rumor the Discos want to increase charges on estimated bills to N24,000 from N11,800 to force people to buy their exorbitant prepaid meters tru MAP
Now this is becoming a reality in December 2021

1. The major reason the Discos shared free meters under the Mass metering program is to Collect Outstanding accumulated debts on assumptions or estimated Billings.

Debts from estimated bills were thereafter transferred to prepaid meters. You then pay as u buy units monthly.

This is the major reason most houses with new bills or Without accumulated debts were not given free meter.

2. Similarly, the Discos increased electricity tariff again by more than 100% Immediately these prepaid meters were shared. N1k unit which was 34 klwts Became 14.9 klwts . With N2,500 u will get 100 units b4 ; but now N7,000 gives u 100 units.

3. Using prepaid meter doesn’t pay again these days bcs of my No 2 point above
Unfortunately,

1 Like

Re: FG To Raise Power Tariff December, Begins Free Meters Purchase by adekolaelect(m): 10:12am On Nov 18, 2021
Itgeo:
They can increase it to the moon for all i care. Me i wont pay more than 4000 per month
At least if child wise to die in dry session him papas go wise to berry him near River side .Buhari is a big desaster to this country no one can dispute that.
Re: FG To Raise Power Tariff December, Begins Free Meters Purchase by Nobody: 10:27am On Nov 18, 2021
wirinet:

Yes the price increase has been twice this year. That's because there was a moratorium on price increase the first term of Buhari for political reason. Now that Buhari is not seeking re-election he can now allow price increases to catch up with agreed yearly increases.

True. I think there was also a price freeze last year partly because covid.
Re: FG To Raise Power Tariff December, Begins Free Meters Purchase by mechanics(m): 11:05am On Nov 18, 2021
Hmmmm, the last time I bought ₦2,000 was for 37.4units, so if it's increased again, I doubt if ₦2,000 will give 20 units.
Re: FG To Raise Power Tariff December, Begins Free Meters Purchase by rollandben(m): 11:07am On Nov 18, 2021
adenigga:

Lori iro, believe this blood sucker's government at your own peril. Terrible x unreliable government

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Four Officers Missing In Benue As Herdsmen Ambush Police Team / Adams Oshiomole: I Will Come After "Obi-dients" If They Come After Me (Video) / Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Look-Alike (Picture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.