Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,072 members, 7,949,695 topics. Date: Sunday, 15 September 2024 at 04:25 PM

What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way (30317 Views)

Lecturers Will Never Tell You This In The University / Doctor Shares Experience With An Employer In Abuja, rejects N70K salary / Man Going For Interview Speaks Rudely To Prospective Employer Inside KEKE NAPEP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by Anndrew(m): 4:11pm On Nov 18, 2021
stanliwise:

"extra mile in any endeavor"
Omo people dey suffer this country o. slavery 101
this one na slavery Pro max

1 Like

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by blackgold2018(m): 4:16pm On Nov 18, 2021
SundayNightGist:
Employers only recognize and reward those who take the initiative to add tangible value to the company.

It's not enough to do what is expected of you or what is written in your employment letter (JD). You have to strive to go the extra mile, or else you'll just realize that you're on your own busy making efforts on monotonous activities count for nothing- not money, not attention, not even promotion!

Add value; practical value for that matter!
Foool..
don’t hustle to establish your own enterprise.

“Add value” indeed , something employers use to enslave you. Ewu

1 Like

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by TheGift: 4:21pm On Nov 18, 2021
stanliwise:

I get the point and I totally disagree still.
Extra-ordinary people are not people that goes the extra mile grin grin grin grin.

Extra ordinary people are people who do extra ordinary things.
Some people has already master what you look hard and to you they are extra-ordinary
extra-ordinary does not have to always end up with going extra miles.
In workplace, extra miles mean doing work wey dem nor go pay you wink wink
Try to understand me please, even if for a moment

I understand you, even more than a moment. And I get your point.

But let’s all try and understand the original poster , within the different context that He used the phrase.

1 Like

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by sowilli: 4:24pm On Nov 18, 2021
If you are not bringing money in, make sure you are helping them save money. If you are doing none, you might just be on your way out. Business is all about the bottom line!

1 Like

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by LiquidWood: 4:24pm On Nov 18, 2021
stanliwise:

"extra mile in any endeavor"
Omo people dey suffer this country o. slavery 101
Imagine going extra miles for big corporations like MTN that don't even know that you exist.

Even if you kill yourself in the process, dem Otedola and Co will still be popping champagne anyhow. They will not even attend your burial.

God forbid!

4 Likes

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by Emyogalanya: 4:29pm On Nov 18, 2021
SundayNightGist:
You add practical value by making sure you're supplying work or ideas capable of:

1. saving your company money
2. making your company money
3. helping your company to make an impact
4. giving your company any form of competitive edge
5. giving your company a good name
why not arise and do those things in your own company

2 Likes

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by Card7: 4:38pm On Nov 18, 2021
proxitaly:
Make we hear
There are myriads of jobs where you can't add any other tangible value than what you are employed to do. Imagine telling a bank teller to add value.
Also, most Nigerian jobs differ little from slavery. You're being paid 50k in today's economy and work 7 to 7. Which other value you wan add?

Lolz...hmmmmmm
Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by Nobody: 4:38pm On Nov 18, 2021
madjune:
I pity Nigerian white collar job youths in today's Lagos and Abuja axis.
No employer will reward you enough to lift you out of poverty.
You'd barely be scrapping by, year after year till you grow old.
Try save some, invest or start something for yourself.

That's just the truth.

Absolute truth, I have nothing to add. The only way the employee can at least be rewarded to an extent these days Is by "Knowing Your Onions" Anything apart from this, The employee will die In Penury. Shiiithole Is long gone and forgotten......

2 Likes

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by TimeAfterTime: 4:44pm On Nov 18, 2021
I consider this write-up a sunday night gist, though.
SundayNightGist:
Employers only recognize and reward those who take the initiative to add tangible value to the company.

It's not enough to do what is expected of you or what is written in your employment letter (JD). You have to strive to go the extra mile, or else you'll just realize that you're on your own busy making efforts on monotonous activities count for nothing- not money, not attention, not even promotion!

1 Like

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by mydivinely: 4:45pm On Nov 18, 2021
is good to do your best but some employers, if you like kill yourself OYO is the capital of Ibadan, some even think paying you salary is a favor they are doing you. Las las selfemployment is the key. And even if u work remember to put your interest first, ......even first Bank will say
U first..
Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by Psalmistproject: 4:49pm On Nov 18, 2021
Kajaard:

I hate eye service. Every where I have worked I abhor eye service and avoid people that do. Most colleagues might not like me for this but the company can never get rid of me because I am the absolute best in what I do cool

It's only employers with standard HR dept that cares about your value in retaining you on a long term. If not, once they see some one qualified as you are or even more qualified but can accept low pay bro, your ass is fired!

Person work is not your entitlement. Work more on building your own business.

1 Like

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by Aremson14(m): 4:49pm On Nov 18, 2021
My advice for fresh graduate out there, try ur best get employed, Have it at the back of ur head ur just on a stepping stone. Plan,plan,plan on starting a business, it might seem difficult, but strive and do ur best. I rather die trying on my own than to live poor average, always afraid what will happen if my employer saying at any point in time that ur out.. And God helps u it happens at the enemployable age. This country no easy at all. 70 percent of employees are slaves, just that no chains on their hands and neck

2 Likes

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by TimeAfterTime: 4:51pm On Nov 18, 2021
Say it loud and clear, brother

Why kill your energy working for a boss that doesn't like you nor care for you
Why not use your God-given brain for your own establishment
We better start thinking of being independent instead of one useless wcj.
Think well, bro
seunolu7:
Lol. The world is moving away from hierarchical job 9-5 systems and moving to a collaborative works space, but Nigerians are still stuck with dumb old age practices. Why should you save a company's money if that is not your job? Why should you bother with giving them one useless competitive edge? Instead of seeking promotion in one boring job, we young Nigerians should start the era of hourly payments and encourage people to have two or three jobs that pay well and let people have time for their families. Don't spend 50 out of 75 years being a corporate slave so that your chairman will leave 2 billion dollar inheritance for his 12 children and 3 wives.

1 Like

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by APCNig: 4:53pm On Nov 18, 2021
Kreamie:
In other words, lick ass/es the best you can. It’ll get you far. undecided

Another lazy youth with no future ambition spotted
Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by Jaqenhghar: 4:56pm On Nov 18, 2021
SundayNightGist:

When giving your best you also have to be careful. Some ogas get intimidated by efficient staff. They see it as you trying to take over ( whatever that means)

2 Likes

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by Advancedman(m): 5:10pm On Nov 18, 2021
proxitaly:
Make we hear
There are myriads of jobs where you can't add any other tangible value than what you are employed to do. Imagine telling a bank teller to add value.
Also, most Nigerian jobs differ little from slavery. You're being paid 50k in today's economy and work 7 to 7. Which other value you wan add?

Sense no go kill you.
Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by mydivinely: 5:10pm On Nov 18, 2021
IS EASY TO PUNISH SOMEONE FOR THE WRONG DONE BUT DIFFICULT TO ACKNOWLEDGE ONE FOR GOOD DEED, ..

1 Like

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by Nobody: 5:11pm On Nov 18, 2021
Kindness218:
If you stay in Kano and you can drive tiper, Howo and foton quote me.
is the offer still valid?
Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by jericco1(m): 5:19pm On Nov 18, 2021
proxitaly:
Make we hear

My brother I tire oo
Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by Haykinsproperti(m): 5:20pm On Nov 18, 2021
Kindness218:
If you stay in Kano and you can drive tiper, Howo and foton quote me.
. Kindly text me on WhatsApp or call me if you have anyone who wants to sell a tipper. 08179795414
Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by jericco1(m): 5:21pm On Nov 18, 2021
Jobs are not worth it.

Look for something profitable that you can tap from whenever you need money

2 Likes

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by Bassey007(m): 5:31pm On Nov 18, 2021
It's good to go extra miles to add value to your company....but remember, it should not be at your own detriment.

No be de one wey office go close by 3pm. You no go wan go. You go dey office till 6pm, say you wan go extra miles. My broda you go die troway....the next day the office will bring your replacement.

IN ANYTHING YOU DO IN LIFE....USE YOUR HEAD.

You can login to my blog: sirbassey.

1 Like

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by Dreadshy: 5:33pm On Nov 18, 2021
They won't tell you that if you die you will be replaced even when your body is still warm

1 Like

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by Mac2016(m): 5:40pm On Nov 18, 2021
SundayNightGist:

Very wrong perspective, bro. No employer sends you. Why die for them when you can die for yourself and become indisposable? Add that value to yourself big time then you will be free to choose which employer to work with or not here and abroad!

1 Like

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by Kreamie(m): 5:57pm On Nov 18, 2021
Another keyboard warrior spotted.

Say this to me in person please.
APCNig:

Another lazy youth with no future ambition spotted

2 Likes

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by jojothaiv(m): 6:12pm On Nov 18, 2021
Kreamie:
In other words, lick ass/es the best you can. It’ll get you far. undecided
I couldn't have said it better myself

1 Like

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by jojothaiv(m): 6:12pm On Nov 18, 2021
proxitaly:
Make we hear
Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by Deepocean(m): 6:13pm On Nov 18, 2021
There are some employers that will not appreciate your efforts no matter what.

For instance I manage a particular organization solely owned by one man. The owner doesn't stay in the state where the organization is established, she only comes to check once in a while.

I always do all my best to the progress of the organization, but to the owner I am not doing anything. He will always complain that I am not managing the organization very well.

I have gone really extra mile, try as much as possible to cut cost, increase sales bring more customers spend my personal tokens in some expenses and lot more. But this person will still be on the point that I am not adding values.

What the CEO did of recent that pissed me off was that she nearly call me a thief, she has trust issue to the extent that she may not even trust angels.

To her everyone is a thief even down to the non skilled workers, she doesn't trust anyone. Too difficult to work with, will always bring in unnecessary and choking policy to police her. money.

I love her the first time I resumed when I was yet to know her person, but now I'm gradually hating her person.

There's no single thing you can do that she won't complain about.

If you call her na wahala, if you fail to call her na trouble if you text her, she sees it as disturbance, if you fail to text or call her she would accused you of not carrying her along in the activities of the organization.

I'm fed up.

1 Like

Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by jojothaiv(m): 6:14pm On Nov 18, 2021
stanliwise:

You're being deceived, believe me.
Company will keep you because of your perceived worth and not just what you give to the company perse. Infact if you ask me which is better,
I would say you first work on your worth and let your service value flow flawlessly without you breaking a sweat. The reverse will only end you up in tears.

Think deeper

If your boss is using motivational word to whine your head, better wake up. While you try to give your best you must never get caught up and always remember that you will only remain relevant base on worth and your skill level. People kill themselves day and night in the road of extra miles.
Today no one ever heard what they did.

Omo no go dull o

The only time I will go extra mile in a company is if it increase my skill and worth but say because of say make bosses dey feel me. Dem go old.
The only promise I will fulfill is to do my task which I signed for and the rest of the story are left to my self improvement and personal decisions.

BOTTOM LINE: Only indulge if there is a combined interest (your interest and the company interest) or else na road of extra miles you go retire.
Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by stanliwise(m): 6:20pm On Nov 18, 2021
Anndrew:
this one na slavery Pro max
���
Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by Muwq: 6:34pm On Nov 18, 2021
Really
Re: What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way by josephevergreen(m): 6:36pm On Nov 18, 2021
proxitaly:
Make we hear

You can still add value by be polite to the customers and that alone will go a long way

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Dragnet Aptitude Test / Nigerian Breweries Sales Executives Recruitment. / Important Sections Of A CV That Must Be Included

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.