Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,081 members, 7,880,375 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 05:03 PM

MADNESS OF GOING TO ELECTIONS 2023 WHICH RENEW LIFE OF 1999 CONSTITUTION!!! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / MADNESS OF GOING TO ELECTIONS 2023 WHICH RENEW LIFE OF 1999 CONSTITUTION!!! (233 Views)

Tinubu Meets Class Of 1999 Governors At Aso Villa / Full Report Of Peter Obi & Labour Party's Petition To Elections Tribunal / Thugs Imported From Edo Nabbed In Akwa Ibom Few Hours To Elections. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

MADNESS OF GOING TO ELECTIONS 2023 WHICH RENEW LIFE OF 1999 CONSTITUTION!!! by DeltaFire: 4:42pm On Nov 23, 2021
MADNESS OF GOING TO ELECTIONS 2023 WHICH RENEW LIFE OF 1999 CONSTITUTION!!!

We have been told many times by NINAS Movement that Elections 2023 renew the life of that fraudulent 1999 Constitution, the source of all our miseries and enabler of genocide for land grab.

The life of that fraudulent document is renewed by Elections 2023 because the winner will swear an Oath Of Office to uphold and defend it over his people for 4 years. That is how the life of that 1999 Constitution is renewed.

That is why NINAS Movement tells us to halt preparations to Elections 2023 (not boycott ooo, listen well), but HALT PREPARATIONS now now to those Elections 2023.

NINAS Movement website:
www.ninasvoice.org

If you want to see or download more posters then it is the NINAS Movement Facebook page you want:
https://web.facebook.com/NINASmovement

People of South and Middle Belt. This is the solution to our dangers. We do not need any violence, and we should not listen to those mainly abroad who want to turn our ancestral land to Sudan, starting from SE then as we know, spreading it to SS then SW.

Re: MADNESS OF GOING TO ELECTIONS 2023 WHICH RENEW LIFE OF 1999 CONSTITUTION!!! by ArewaNorth: 5:46pm On Nov 23, 2021
Try to identify mad people out of this text; the military did not write any constitution — apart from promulgating the enabling decrees.
On November 11, 1998, Abdulsalami inaugurated the Constitution Debate Co-ordinating Committee (CDCC) to “pilot the debate, co-ordinate and collate views and recommendations canvassed by individuals and groups and submit report not later than 31 December 1998”. It was not headed by a soldier but by Justice Niki Tobi, with Dr. Suleiman Kurmo as deputy chairman. There was no single military man on the committee. They went round the country to collect memoranda from the public through town hall meetings in Benin, Enugu, Jos, Port Harcourt, Kaduna, Kano, Ibadan, Lagos and Sokoto. They excluded military formations.

After all the frenetic debates — up and down, north and south, east and west — the Tobi committee submitted its report to the military government. Tobi said: “In the light of the memoranda and the oral presentation on the 1995 Draft Constitution, it is clear that Nigerians basically opt for the 1979 Constitution with relevant amendments. They want it, and they have copiously given their reasons for their choice in the different memoranda and oral presentations.
So they recommended to the Provisional Ruling Council the adoption of the 1979 Constitution with relevant amendments from the 1995 Draft Constitution.” Abdulsalami accepted the recommendation.
When the 1999 constitution was finally published, three of them sat down and placed it side by side with the 1979 constitution. They then did a clause-by-clause analysis. The trio were: Mr. Victor Ifijeh (the current MD of The Nation newspaper who was THISDAY editor then), Alhaji Yusuph Olaniyonu (SA to Senate President Bukola Saraki who was THISDAY politics editor at the time) and THISDAY features editor. They did a word-for-word reading and laughed themselves to stupor: this is pure plagiarism of the 1979 constitution!
There were only a few notable differences in the two documents, such as the 13% derivation for oil-producing states and the number of states in the federation. While the 1979 constitution spoke about 19 states, 1999 said 36 states, logically. They were only reflecting the realities on ground. FEDECO in the 1979 document changed to INEC in 1999 constitution therefore it can be concluded that the 1999 constitution is a replica of the 1979 constitution.
The biggest irony abt the contentious nature of our constitution is the vicious condemnation of the 1999 constitution by some prominent Nigerians who mostly took part in the previous constitution starting committees or got favour & protection by the system.
Re: MADNESS OF GOING TO ELECTIONS 2023 WHICH RENEW LIFE OF 1999 CONSTITUTION!!! by ArewaNorth: 5:51pm On Nov 23, 2021
LET ME USE BISI AKANDE AS AN EXAMPLE
Recently, Chief Bisi Akande, former national chairman of the APC, recently summarised the discontent with the 1999 constitution thus: “The 1999 Constitution is Nigeria’s greatest misadventure since Lugard’s amalgamation of 1914.
However, with due respect I've for AKANDE I found him so hypocritical for making such statement that ridicule his past. Akande was a member of the 1977 Constituent Assembly that debated and produced the 1979 constitution — which, as you would find out, is 99% what we have as the 1999 constitution today! In 1977, Akande was elected to represent Ila and Odo-otin local governments in the Constituent Assembly. The same 1999 constitution which is a photocopy of the 1979 constitution. Factually and logically, Akande has described the document he helped produced as “a bad relic of military mentality”. This isn't the issue with only Akande but with all the sociocultural groups making noise here and there, mostly their people or themselves took part in producing previous constitutions which were used to produce 1999 constitution.
Military mentality? Again, let us look at that closely. The constitution drafting committee set up by Gen. Murtala Muhammed in 1975 was headed by Chief FRA Williams. He was not a major general, in my records. (Awo declined to serve on the committee because he wanted to run for president.) The report of the committee formed the basis for discussions at the 1977 Constituent Assembly. Notable CA members were Chief MKO Abiola and core Awoists such as Chief Bola Ige, Chief Abraham Adesanya and Chief Bisi Onabanjo. It was chaired by eminent jurist, Justice Udo Udoma. This is what Akande, himself an elected member, calls “military mentality”. Is this not hypocrisy criticising 1999 constitution without looking back to the sins of these people in the past, since they know most youths are not interested in history or they didn't read history are now trying to change the narration of the mayhem they put us in!
Under the cloned constitution, Akande was elected governor of Osun state in 1999. Under the same constitution that “promotes corruption”, Akande ruled Osun state for 4yrs. He lost his re-election bid in 2003 partly because he refused to be corrupt under he constitution he claimed is corrupt. He refused to pillage state resources for electoral gain and I'm very much sure he was guided by the same constitution. He did not buy a private jet or houses in Dubai and America. Yet he believes that the 1999 constitution “breeds and protects corrupt practices and criminal impunities in governance”. This is very sad!
In conclusion, I would like to emphasise one point: I have by no means suggested that the 1999 constitution is perfect. I am not that daft. My point is that there are too many statements being made by those against the constitution that are not based on facts. The 1999 constitution was NOT written by the military. I also hasten to say that nobody can write a perfect constitution. Even if Prof. Ben Nwabueze, a well-respected constitutional expert, writes a new constitution today, loopholes will surface in a matter of time. That is why laws are dynamic. As loopholes appear, you plug them. Meanwhile, is the 1999 constitution that horrible?
The same people that are amending God's commandments are expecting perfection from fellow human!
Re: MADNESS OF GOING TO ELECTIONS 2023 WHICH RENEW LIFE OF 1999 CONSTITUTION!!! by Ttalk: 6:44pm On Nov 23, 2021
A constitution that goes against federal principles, is that a constitution.? How can a constitution centralise security architecture of a dynamic country like Nigeria.

What useless constitution that centralises revenue generation, every indices of development is concerntrated at the centre.?

How can we be doing the wrong thing and expect different result.

1999 Constitution is a product of the military and an extension of the caliphate's mind
Re: MADNESS OF GOING TO ELECTIONS 2023 WHICH RENEW LIFE OF 1999 CONSTITUTION!!! by Nobody: 6:51pm On Nov 23, 2021
ArewaNorth:
LET ME USE BISI AKANDE AS AN EXAMPLE
Recently, Chief Bisi Akande, former national chairman of the APC, recently summarised the discontent with the 1999 constitution thus: “The 1999 Constitution is Nigeria’s greatest misadventure since Lugard’s amalgamation of 1914.
However, with due respect I've for AKANDE I found him so hypocritical for making such statement that ridicule his past. Akande was a member of the 1977 Constituent Assembly that debated and produced the 1979 constitution — which, as you would find out, is 99% what we have as the 1999 constitution today! In 1977, Akande was elected to represent Ila and Odo-otin local governments in the Constituent Assembly. The same 1999 constitution which is a photocopy of the 1979 constitution. Factually and logically, Akande has described the document he helped produced as “a bad relic of military mentality”. This isn't the issue with only Akande but with all the sociocultural groups making noise here and there, mostly their people or themselves took part in producing previous constitutions which were used to produce 1999 constitution.
Military mentality? Again, let us look at that closely. The constitution drafting committee set up by Gen. Murtala Muhammed in 1975 was headed by Chief FRA Williams. He was not a major general, in my records. (Awo declined to serve on the committee because he wanted to run for president.) The report of the committee formed the basis for discussions at the 1977 Constituent Assembly. Notable CA members were Chief MKO Abiola and core Awoists such as Chief Bola Ige, Chief Abraham Adesanya and Chief Bisi Onabanjo. It was chaired by eminent jurist, Justice Udo Udoma. This is what Akande, himself an elected member, calls “military mentality”. Is this not hypocrisy criticising 1999 constitution without looking back to the sins of these people in the past, since they know most youths are not interested in history or they didn't read history are now trying to change the narration of the mayhem they put us in!
Under the cloned constitution, Akande was elected governor of Osun state in 1999. Under the same constitution that “promotes corruption”, Akande ruled Osun state for 4yrs. He lost his re-election bid in 2003 partly because he refused to be corrupt under he constitution he claimed is corrupt. He refused to pillage state resources for electoral gain and I'm very much sure he was guided by the same constitution. He did not buy a private jet or houses in Dubai and America. Yet he believes that the 1999 constitution “breeds and protects corrupt practices and criminal impunities in governance”. This is very sad!
In conclusion, I would like to emphasise one point: I have by no means suggested that the 1999 constitution is perfect. I am not that daft. My point is that there are too many statements being made by those against the constitution that are not based on facts. The 1999 constitution was NOT written by the military. I also hasten to say that nobody can write a perfect constitution. Even if Prof. Ben Nwabueze, a well-respected constitutional expert, writes a new constitution today, loopholes will surface in a matter of time. That is why laws are dynamic. As loopholes appear, you plug them. Meanwhile, is the 1999 constitution that horrible?
The same people that are amending God's commandments are expecting perfection from fellow human!
I wander why the issue of resource control was not iron out the way it was done before Nigeria became an independent country

(1) (Reply)

Bbign South South Town Hall Meeting / Lai Mohammed Devoted Servant, Made Sacrifices – Buhari / Gov Zulum Bans Ngos From Giving Food, Items To Borno Resettled Communities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.