Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,102 members, 7,942,988 topics. Date: Saturday, 07 September 2024 at 09:44 PM

Similarities Between Igbo And Chinese Languages - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Similarities Between Igbo And Chinese Languages (909 Views)

Wedding Attire: The Difference Between Igbo, Edo, Yoruba And Hausa Clothes? / Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria / Similarities Between Igbo Age Grade Tradition And Jewish Bar Mitzvah (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Similarities Between Igbo And Chinese Languages by Onyiiobi7735(m): 6:40am On Nov 25, 2021
Chinese and Igbo languages share some similarities between them,though belonging to different families from two continents.
While Chinese is a member of the Sino_Tibetan language family, Igbo language belongs to the Niger_Congo family.
1.Both languages are tonal languages.
2.Both possess hundreds of dialects spread over a wide region. Chinese has its numerous dialects grouped into varieties _Mandarin, Wu,Yue,Hakka,Jin,Gan,Ping,Xiang,Min,Huizhou.
Igbo language has many dialects even within one state among the five Igbo speaking states.
Eg In Anambra,there is Nibo dialect(My home town),Umuawulu dialect,Mgbakwu dialect,Awka dialect,Obosi dialect, Idemili dialect cluster,Onitsha dialect etc.
These constitute Anambra dialect cluster. Same goes for Ebonyi state which has an even more diverse dialect cluster.
Hundreds of dialects abound outside the five Igbo speaking states in other parts of Igboland,and often in clusters.
This means groups of dialects so similar but with differences like Anambra cluster.
3. Chinese language has a standard form(Standard Mandarin) based on the Beijing dialect,used in official capacity for administration, education, business etc.
Igbo language has equally a standard form (Standard Igbo) used for official purposes.
This is the unifying form of Igbo among the various Igbo dialects.
Chinese has its written form in symbols called Chinese characters, used for thousands of years till present.
Igbo language has its own logographic writing called Nsinbidi also used for millennia, but which later fell out of widespread use during British colonial era.
But surprisingly Nsinbidi is still used in Igbo writing by Igbo diaspora in the Caribbean and Latin America.
Re: Similarities Between Igbo And Chinese Languages by Nobody: 6:43am On Nov 25, 2021
Interesting
Re: Similarities Between Igbo And Chinese Languages by superclosestool: 8:36am On Nov 25, 2021
That's interesting, but the development of Tibetan and Zhuang also has these characteristics. No matter what language it is, the development is similar. German and Italian satisfy this condition if the tonal language restriction is removed.

1 Like

Re: Similarities Between Igbo And Chinese Languages by Hotice085: 6:04am On Nov 26, 2021
Onyiiobi7735:
Chinese and Igbo languages share some similarities between them,though belonging to different families from two continents.
While Chinese is a member of the Sino_Tibetan language family, Igbo language belongs to the Niger_Congo family.
1.Both languages are tonal languages.
2.Both possess hundreds of dialects spread over a wide region. Chinese has its numerous dialects grouped into varieties _Mandarin, Wu,Yue,Hakka,Jin,Gan,Ping,Xiang,Min,Huizhou.
Igbo language has many dialects even within one state among the five Igbo speaking states.
Eg In Anambra,there is Nibo dialect(My home town),Umuawulu dialect,Mgbakwu dialect,Awka dialect,Obosi dialect, Idemili dialect cluster,Onitsha dialect etc.
These constitute Anambra dialect cluster. Same goes for Ebonyi state which has an even more diverse dialect cluster.
Hundreds of dialects abound outside the five Igbo speaking states in other parts of Igboland,and often in clusters.
This means groups of dialects so similar but with differences like Anambra cluster.
3. Chinese language has a standard form(Standard Mandarin) based on the Beijing dialect,used in official capacity for administration, education, business etc.
Igbo language has equally a standard form (Standard Igbo) used for official purposes.
This is the unifying form of Igbo among the various Igbo dialects.
Chinese has its written form in symbols called Chinese characters, used for thousands of years till present.
Igbo language has its own logographic writing called Nsinbidi also used for millennia, but which later fell out of widespread use during British colonial era.
But surprisingly Nsinbidi is still used in Igbo writing by Igbo diaspora in the Caribbean and Latin America.

You people like to lie like Demons, which Nsinbidi are you talking about?
Let it be the first and last time you ever repeat such nonsense, imagine an Anambra man talking of Nsibidi I would have tolerated it if you were an Aro
Re: Similarities Between Igbo And Chinese Languages by Onyiiobi7735(m): 3:55am On Nov 27, 2021
Hotice085:

Let it be the first and last time you ever repeat such nonsense, imagine an Anambra man talking of Nsibidi I would have tolerated it if you were an Aro
So where did it come,Mr lecturer who lies like the devil himself.
Who invented Nsinbidi? And don't give me that Ejagham crap.
If I repeat the statement, are you going to beat me?
Even an Enugu man had talked about Nsinbidi and even people from Imo.
So Mr lecturer,I made my research before writing.
Nsinbidi originated from Igboland, and was spread even to neighboring tribes like Efik,Ejagham who used it in writing.
These tribes used both the common and sacred sets of symbol in Nsinbidi to write.
In Igboland, the sacred sets are predominantly used in Ekpe and Okonko secret societies.
Re: Similarities Between Igbo And Chinese Languages by Onyiiobi7735(m): 4:06am On Nov 27, 2021
Hotice085:

Lol! I will talk about Nsinbidi again,because you cannot do anything ,just like a corpse cannot do anything.
If it pains you,take a rope and hang yourself.
I say it again.
Nsinbidi originated from Igboland and was used throughout the region.The Aro Confederacy helped to spread it to neighboring tribes.
In Ebonyi and Abia states,Nsinbidi symbols were used in clothes and house designs.
Oooh,I get your bitterness. You are probably from Ejagham .
Now I get the useless tantrum of yours .
Lol!

(1) (Reply)

The Community Around Me Want Me To Start Having Sex / Happy Raksha Bandhan Wishes Messages 2015 / 5 Things You ’ll Understand If Your Nigerian Neighbour Has A Better Job Than You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.