Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,398 members, 7,978,265 topics. Date: Friday, 18 October 2024 at 01:07 AM

Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) - Properties (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) (150656 Views)

For Sale.....luxury Block Of 4flats @ Ikota Villa Lekki Before Vgc(pictures) / How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu / Luxury Block Of 6 Nos 3 Bedroom Flat "TO LET" @ IKEJA Gra,lagos with pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (56) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by BonnyFace: 3:19pm On Jun 22, 2011
Hello, nice thread.
Please, kindly post the first floor layout
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by atasteve: 4:16pm On Jun 22, 2011
hummmmm, so sweet. I am already licking this thread.

My brodas more grease to your elbows.

Please keep the info and pictures flowing.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by rastaman20(m): 5:00pm On Jun 22, 2011
Nice work @barbus,, so now we can enjoy this thread as the ownner has approved that all the amount be spend should be shared on this forum.
Kudoos
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by Fhemmmy: 6:47pm On Jun 22, 2011
Still waiting for the newer pix of updates
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by brabus(m): 8:43pm On Jun 22, 2011
While awaiting the breakdown of expenses so far. Here are pic updates of the journey so far,

Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by brabus(m): 8:50pm On Jun 22, 2011
And the wall is going up,  Next is the foundation pillars. We are having 38 pillars, all 16mm

Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by Fhemmmy: 8:52pm On Jun 22, 2011
Niceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee and
Neattttttttttttttttttttttttt
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by brabus(m): 9:33pm On Jun 22, 2011
Sunday 12 June - Bush clearing was done for N8,000
Tuesday 14 June- 30 tons Granite was bought for N125,000 (extra N2,500 was paid as dev levy to the estate and settlement of suppliers association)
Tuesday 14 June- 20 ton Sharp sand was bought for N48,000
Tuesday 14 June- 30 ton Soft sand was bought for N36,000
Wednesday 15 June- Peg/Tie-rod/Nail (7,200)
Wednesday 15 June- 1000 blocks was bought @ N130 = N130,000
Wednesday 15 June- 50 bags of cement was bought @ N1,850 = N92,500
Wednesday 15 June- 2,000 litres GeePee tank was bought for N27,000
Wednesday 15 June- N1,000 was paid to transport (Tank, Tie-rod)

Total Amount spent on materials as at Wednesday 15 June stood at N477,000

Thursday 16 June - Bricklayer was paid the sum of N70,000 to start the work (Pegging/Setting out/Excavation)
Thursday 16 June - I paid Aboki N1,500 to level the soil for delivery of blocks
Friday 17 June - Bought 2 bag of pure water for the workmen. N200
Friday 17 June - WASTED N4,500 on an effort to get water to the site. (Rent Generator N3,500, bought fuel N300, Paid Plumber N700). The effort was thwarted as the borehole machine is discovered to be faulty
Saturday 18 June - Paid N1,500 to hire another 2,000 litres tank in preparation for foundation laying on Monday 20th
Saturday 18 June - Paid N3,500 to buy water
Saturday 18 June - Paid N1,500 to carry to and fro the tank

Additional N81,700 was spent, so our total expenditure stood at N551,700
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by diordaves(m): 10:42pm On Jun 22, 2011
brabus:

Tuesday 14 June- 30 tons Granite was bought for N125,000 (extra N2,500 was paid as dev levy to the estate and settlement of suppliers association)

Thursday 16 June - Bricklayer was paid the sum of N70,000 to start the work (Pegging/Setting out/Excavation)
Friday 17 June - WASTED N4,500 on an effort to get water to the site. (Rent Generator N3,500, bought fuel N300, Paid Plumber N700). The effort was thwarted as the borehole machine is discovered to be faulty
Saturday 18 June - Paid N1,500 to hire another 2,000 litres tank in preparation for foundation laying on Monday 20th

Tidy, Neat, Professional, Transparent, Bold. This is what we are used to in the western world. This is what the building industry needs. More grease to your elbow Love-tosin and even more grease, blocks and mortar to your elbow brabus. Keep it up. But one small question: why 16mm rods? The pictured rods; are they 16mm? Stay blessed.

1 Like

Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by spyder880(m): 11:18pm On Jun 22, 2011
This is good, so straight and smooth. Good job.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by brabus(m): 11:51pm On Jun 22, 2011
diordaves:

Tidy, Neat, Professional, Transparent, Bold. This is what we are used to in the western world. This is what the building industry needs. More grease to your elbow Love-tosin and even more grease, blocks and mortar to your elbow brabus. Keep it up. But one small question: why 16mm rods? The pictured rods; are they 16mm? Stay blessed.

Thank you, I do appreciate it.

Question begin for an answer

Column and beam construction must be done with properly sized beams to support a load bearing wall. Columns must be properly located and the choice/size of iron rods to be used should be left to the PROS!
As a matter of fact I always get calls from owner builders who is in the midst of or contemplating a structural modification to their abode. They want me to size a beam for them or know why 16mm is better than 12mm. My answer is ALWAYS the same,  Call a structural engineer!

The reason for this is simple. For one thing, each situation is different. The loads above the beam location can be significant or there may be very little load. Columns carry the beam loads and these loads must rest on solid materials. A rookie often forgets this vital aspect of beam construction. Again, this is not a one-size-fit-all or what-I-think-is-right projet!

Back to your question, that's what my structural drawing specify! The pictured rods are 16mm
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by diordaves(m): 6:06am On Jun 23, 2011
brabus:

Thank you, I do appreciate it.

Question begin for an answer

Column and beam construction must be done with properly sized beams to support a load bearing wall. Columns must be properly located and the choice/size of iron rods to be used should be left to the PROS!
As a matter of fact I always get calls from owner builders who is in the midst of or contemplating a structural modification to their abode. They want me to size a beam for them or know why 16mm is better than 12mm. My answer is ALWAYS the same, Call a structural engineer!

The reason for this is simple. For one thing, each situation is different. The loads above the beam location can be significant or there may be very little load. Columns carry the beam loads and these loads must rest on solid materials. A rookie often forgets this vital aspect of beam construction. Again, this is not a one-size-fit-all or what-I-think-is-right projet!

Back to your question, that's what my structural drawing specify! The pictured rods are 16mm

Nice one. Noted
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by AmAlone: 6:43am On Jun 23, 2011
brabus:

Man, thank you very much jorray!!!!
You are just too much!!!!
Now look at the work you are showing us!!!! grin grin grin
I am very certain, Mr. Tosin wont be disappointed at this one for sure!!!!

Bros brabus, I notice is like you will be mixing the soft sand to the sharp sand for the chalking of
the blocks right? This is one thing I am come to learn. That is helps saves money!!!! right?
Please clarify!!! Thanks - You Too Much Jorray!!!! - Gud Job!
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by Fidelo726: 10:48am On Jun 23, 2011
well done brabus.
But i seem to be lost some how in the procedure you are using .
I saw the blinding, fine.
I saw the block course, fine.
But i did not see the foundation the columns will be resting on, which invariably transfer the load to the soil.
I have seen the starter bars waiting to be placed.
I have always thought that the starter bars will be resting on the basket (footing reinforcement) before the footings are cast.
Please bro help me out there.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by Reference(m): 12:10pm On Jun 23, 2011
Good progress sir, but one very, very, very important thing I have not seen is survey levels. If this building is anywhere south of the Niger drainage is very important. I would have expected that you establish level before commencing works. I can observe that the road outside the compound is not asphalted and I'm sure there are no established drains anywhere around so you are vulnerable to future development but public and private. Consider this very critically. Its not about materials alone.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by Fhemmmy: 1:33pm On Jun 23, 2011
I remain loyal
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by hasyak(m): 2:12pm On Jun 23, 2011
Reference:

Good progress sir, but one very, very, very important thing I have not seen is survey levels. If this building is anywhere south of the Niger drainage is very important. I would have expected that you establish level before commencing works. I can observe that the road outside the compound is not asphalted and I'm sure there are no established drains anywhere around so you are vulnerable to future development but public and private. Consider this very critically. Its not about materials alone.
+6
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by brabus(m): 6:06pm On Jun 23, 2011
Thank you all, I'll revert when I gain time later tonight. I'm on transit right now.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by brabus(m): 9:16pm On Jun 23, 2011
Reference:

The land is higher than the road and it wasn't too difficult for us to establish the level since there was an existing foundation on the lot. I think the pic below should explain it better.
Also, there are drains and the particular lot is not in any way vulnerable to anything. I can bet that! The land is uphill. But I must say thank you for the observation. One point to note here is that there's filling sand on the land which makes it look as if we are on the road level. Look more closely and you'll see.

@fidelo726, thanks for the observation. But I'd already mentioned that we are planning to see how we can convert the existing foundation for our benefit. If you study the picture very well, you'll notice the column foundations. Unfortunately, I did not took pic of the other part that we did by ourself. There are existing starter bars and there are new ones we made that were not updated in pic. I'm sorry about that.

Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by brabus(m): 9:43pm On Jun 23, 2011
Today, block setting is completed and casting of foundation pillars has commenced. We hope to finish casting by tomorrow and start filling immediately. We did a little backfill today but I was too busy sourcing for Laterite that I was unable to take pics. Hoping to post pic update by tomorrow.

Cost Update to follow soon
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by AmAlone: 10:56pm On Jun 23, 2011
You Guys Are Doing A Great Job!!!
Keep It Up U&SPYDER
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by brabus(m): 10:24am On Jun 24, 2011
Am Alone:

Man, thank you very much jorray!!!!
You are just too much!!!!
Now look at the work you are showing us!!!! grin grin grin
I am very certain, Mr. Tosin wont be disappointed at this one for sure!!!!

Bros brabus, [b]I notice is like you will be mixing the soft sand to the sharp sand for the chalking of
the blocks right? This is one thing I am come to learn. That is helps saves money!!!! right?
Please clarify!!! [/b]Thanks - You Too Much Jorray!!!! - Gud Job!

I think it has to do with workability: soft sand has many grades of rounded particles, right down to clay. This makes it handle well and you can adjust bricks easily, the mortar made with soft sand supports the bricks but allows plenty of movement if you need it. Good and pretty easy to use in wet condition.

Sharp sand has angular grains, less gradation, and I believe makes a stronger mortar, but it won't handle well or have the range of adjustment that soft-sand mortar does.
But the reason really is not to save cost. A sound mortar can be obtained if there is some silt and clay in the aggregate. You can guess what the result will be when you use both.

PS: I defer to anyone else who's had years of experience in the trade and knows better!
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by jerryben12: 11:15am On Jun 24, 2011
How long do you have to wait after a heavy rain down pour before you can do a german floor?
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by brabus(m): 11:36am On Jun 24, 2011
^^^? Help me understand yr question. I'm not waiting though.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by jerryben12: 3:10pm On Jun 24, 2011
brabus:

^^^? Help me understand yr question. I'm not waiting though.

This question is not related to your development in particular. In general, is it advisable to do german floor when the filling is wet/damp or wait till it is dry?
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by Reference(m): 4:17pm On Jun 24, 2011
brabus:

The land is higher than the road and it wasn't too difficult for us to establish the level since there was an existing foundation on the lot. I think the pic below should explain it better.
Also, there are drains and the particular lot is not in any way vulnerable to anything. I can bet that! The land is uphill. But I must say thank you for the observation. One point to note here is that there's filling sand on the land which makes it look as if we are on the road level. Look more closely and you'll see.

Yeah, copy that. Then consider that the FRL and the base of the drain (whenever that is done) will probably rise another 1 to 2 feet (depending on the gradient of the surrounding terrain). The closed gate (dunno whether its yours) will be below the street level in due course. Your compound FFL should be at least 6 inches above the anticipated FRL and a minimum of 12 inches at the farthest extreme (back fence) to ensure rain water flows to the road (if you do not intend to instal compound drainage. Then the FFL of the building can be anything 1 foot above that.

So all in all your german floor should to be a minimum of three and a half to four feet above the existing road way level. Sounds crazy now but believe me water pumping machines is much more expensive. Consider diligently. Good luck.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by Nobody: 5:04pm On Jun 24, 2011
@brabus,
well done oo,abeg I mean to derail ur thread oo.

pls I got a quotation which I NEED advice on, I NEED to do it stage by stage, first german floor

German floor

60 tons of granite stone
8 tipper load of sharp sand
132 bags of cement
labour=#200,000

this quotation is given to me since 2005 after spending over 6million on foundation and filling,I got pissed off and every thing was put to a stop,but now am inspired by you guys now to start again,the plot is in lagos ikotun area.the plan is 4 flat of 3 bedrooms and 2 bedrooms.

suppliers and builders are all welcome to give their prices.cheers
I THINK the labour is a bit xpensive
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by Fhemmmy: 5:11pm On Jun 24, 2011
Learning and loving it.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by Nobody: 6:06pm On Jun 24, 2011
@brabus,

bros please can you take a look at the above attached documents and advice me on some of the things there
such as labours and materials required.

Like I said the quotation was given to me since 2005.CHEERS

Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by brabus(m): 6:21pm On Jun 24, 2011
If I may ask what did you spend the N6m on. That's more interesting to me. Using my mobile phone now, I'll have more time to attend to yr question when I'm on my system.
That's gonna be pretty soon.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by Nobody: 6:56pm On Jun 24, 2011
My brother,

Thank you for your quick responds,I think I was duped,
I do not reside in naija.before the land was Purchased
I was assured that the land was on a dried land,after the
purchased,storry changed to the ground not being level
to the land being swamppy.

Being very trusting to people which I was,I sent 3mil to them to start work,few weeks
later the money was finished,I sent my sister to see what they were
doing on the site,on returning back to tell me that nothing was done,

I decided to move the handling of the job from my brother to my sister
after all her sweet mouth about how I was duped by my brother,I then trusted
her and sent another 3mil to her,within 2 months I was called that the money
is finished,so they need more money,

Then I decided to send a friend of my from dublin togo and video the site of which
I took care of his travel expencis,on his returning back to see that all was done was
foundation and filling of sand,I was dumbfounded to the whole situation,I then decided
to call it a quit until now.I have some of the pictures which I will endeavour to post here
but i will have to see if I can block out the face of the people working there then.
Thanks again.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by brabus(m): 8:53pm On Jun 24, 2011
@euromillion, I feel very sorry for you pathetic story.
First thing, your attached doc is not opening on my system. Don't know why? But if you dont mind, you can take the pain to type it out.

200k sounds outrageous but I think we need to see your floorplan and possibly the pic of the site to give advice and rough estimates.

You can PM me for more advice that I cannot freely share on this thread.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (56) (Reply)

POP DESIGN & TV WALL INSTALLATION / Call Us For Ur Granite(directly From The Quarry),sharpsand & Sandfilling / You Won't Believe The Babe I Saw In A Face Me I Face You House :

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.