Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,847 members, 7,966,153 topics. Date: Friday, 04 October 2024 at 10:03 AM

Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) - Properties (51) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) (150534 Views)

For Sale.....luxury Block Of 4flats @ Ikota Villa Lekki Before Vgc(pictures) / How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu / Luxury Block Of 6 Nos 3 Bedroom Flat "TO LET" @ IKEJA Gra,lagos with pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) ... (56) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by LadyT(f): 10:18am On Oct 21, 2011
djungle:

Another wacko! Why not shut the hell up or better still, mind your damn business.

grin Oloshi when something is put on a public forum its up for public discussion.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by Nobody: 3:07pm On Oct 21, 2011

1 Like

Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by Nobody: 3:53pm On Oct 21, 2011
Ftmom you are right on the money!
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by LadyT(f): 12:03am On Oct 22, 2011
God bless you ftmom kiss
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by princeonx: 4:27pm On Oct 22, 2011
@Nexthome: I honestly didn't read any other post after the video but you're making this whole thing worst than it already is! if I may ask, did any doctor prescribe this job for you? must you complete/finish this job? I have told you time after time that once a client is unsatisfied, there's absolutely nothing you can do to make him happy and from the video I can see exactly why he's pissed. I personally won't accept that job period. Refund this guy his balance and let him look for someone else to complete his job. This was suppose to be a 15 days project if I remember but almost 3 months later you are here exchanging words/do's/don't with your client and i still don't see you completing this job in another month with the way you're going about it.

1 Like

Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by NL1960: 11:30am On Oct 23, 2011
@Nexthome/Brabus: The last promise you made was that this job will be completed by last Friday. Today is Sunday. So, how far?.

@Ahanohai: Have you collected your keys?.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by Abuloma80(f): 4:57pm On Oct 23, 2011
@Nexthomes/Brabus,you are a typical Ngerian,sweet mouth at the bigging just to dube people at the end.God will not leave you to go free.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by spyder880(m): 5:02pm On Oct 23, 2011
^^^^ dupe?
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by Costa2000(m): 7:56pm On Oct 23, 2011
Abuloma80:

@Nexthomes/Brabus,you are a typical Ngerian,sweet mouth at the bigging just to dube people at the end.God will not leave you to go free.
Can u prove that?
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by eros(m): 8:19pm On Oct 23, 2011
Costa2000:

Can u prove that?

[b]He/She doesn't need to prove it. Rather Nexthomes/Brabus reputation and chances of getting potential clients has been greatly damaged. I can testify to this fact because i was a potential client who decided against working with him because of this mess. We had met and were in the process of sealing a deal on a new building, but this thread has done great damage to his reputation.

More so, he is not handling this very well. The golden rule in business has always been the customer is always right. No matter what the customer does. Even if the customer is the worst human being in this world, your kindness and service to such a person can change them and make them better humans.

If i were Brabus, i would have pleaded with my client, got to work and prevented any other post from my client after his very first post on this thread. Rather than get to work and make his client happy, he kept arguing and escalating the issue. IN EVERY BUSINESS, REPUTATION IS EVERYTHING. You can imagine the trouble Ahanohai went through to video and prove his point. After watching that video, that was it for me. I can never do business with Brabus with his attitude towards his job.

One lesson i have learnt from this thread though, is never take too much than you can handle and most importantly NEVER MAKE EXCUSES. TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR FAULTS THAT ARE YOUR DOING AND NOT YOUR DOING AND JUST GET THE WORK DONE ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU HAVE BEEN PAID IN FULL.[/b]
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by spyder880(m): 8:57pm On Oct 23, 2011
I salute the courage of Brabus, at least for trying. I praise his cool headedness, at least for apologizing to his client and trying to correct the mistakes. If any of us have never made mistakes, let them stand up and say so. Our acting like the whole world has ended because some things were not done right is rather regrettable, yes we have been hitting too hard at Brabus like he has killed anyone. Is it not in this same country that builders collect their client's cash and disappear? And we cannot give some credit for those who even tried, although their efforts were not fantastic, and they have been going back to repair the damage.

For those saying they wont give him jobs anymore, well we shall like to see the pictures of thier works after it was completed, banking on the future that we can do better than another is like criticizing Yakubu for missing that goal that even my grand mama can score, come out and play, wear the eagles shirt and enter stadium make we see, its not easy o!.

I am sick and tired of people just drawing cobclusions and throwing fuel into on on fire to look good, someone mentioned that Brabus duped someone some posts back, last two weeks someone posted that he diverted the cash meant for this work, and another even suggested that he must have used the cash to build his own house! How preposterous!

Seems i will get off the construction industry before anyone thinks the cash I use to build is clients money, like I am not building my house even before these contracts?

Now, take your punch on me, go ahead, hit me! Must we pull each other down to prove some points? Is every Nigerian business venture doomed from the start? Killing someone online dont mean the person will fall down and die, did Ekene Dili Chukwu, Dangote or Mike Adenuga build houses on Nairaland to succeed?

I am expecting fireworks, so feel free and rant on me anyone that feels like that!

1 Like

Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by eros(m): 9:33pm On Oct 23, 2011
spyder880:

I salute the courage of Brabus, at least for trying. I praise his cool headedness, at least for apologizing to his client and trying to correct the mistakes. If any of us have never made mistakes, let them stand up and say so. Our acting like the whole world has ended because some things were not done right is rather regrettable, yes we have been hitting too hard at Brabus like he has killed anyone. Is it not in this same country that builders collect their client's cash and disappear? And we cannot give some credit for those who even tried, although their efforts were not fantastic, and they have been going back to repair the damage.

For those saying they wont give him jobs anymore, well we shall like to see the pictures of thier works after it was completed, banking on the future that we can do better than another is like criticizing Yakubu for missing that goal that even my grand mama can score, come out and play, wear the eagles shirt and enter stadium make we see, its not easy o!.

I am sick and tired of people just drawing cobclusions and throwing fuel into on on fire to look good, someone mentioned that Brabus duped someone some posts back, last two weeks someone posted that he diverted the cash meant for this work, and another even suggested that he must have used the cash to build his own house! How preposterous!

Seems i will get off the construction industry before anyone thinks the cash I use to build is clients money, like I am not building my house even before these contracts?

Now, take your punch on me, go ahead, hit me! Must we pull each other down to prove some points? Is every Nigerian business venture doomed from the start? Killing someone online dont mean the person will fall down and die, did Ekene Dili Chukwu, Dangote or Mike Adenuga build houses on Nairaland to succeed?

I am expecting fireworks, so feel free and rant on me anyone that feels like that!

@ spyder880,

You are very correct. You have not said anything out of the ordinary that should be condemned. You are a true colleague and friend and i really respect you for standing by Brabus. But my take on this whole issue is this, Brabus should have NEVER allowed his client to make a second post after the first one he made complaining about his job and professionalism.

Personally, i like Brabus because he is a young man like me doing great jobs, but learning to handle and manage his clients in times of crisis is one area he needs to work on. There is never room for excuses because it is unacceptable. He will definitely get jobs offline and off Nairaland, but then again his jobs will mostly depend on referrals. Now do you honestly think Ahanohai will ever refer Brabus to any of his friends or colleagues?

I hate too much talk, Brabus should just get the work done and redeem his reputation while he still can. REPUTATION/NAME IS EVERYTHING IN BUSINESS.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by eros(m): 9:58pm On Oct 23, 2011
5. He refuses to be accountable and take responsibility for his mistakes. I have made several concessions and am still willing to make more but he must be prepared to act aright and turn around the situation as we have limited time under this current dispensation of grace.

6. Till date he has not given me my outstanding reciepts. The only one I have is for my first payment. He proposed a new one last week but I referred him to our email correspondence of September 6th, 2011 where I articulated what he should state in the reciept and the format to follow. I await his response.

7.On the issue of refunds. It is clear that he is currently either insolvent or incapable of depleting his "fee" to settle a client. That is an issue for another day. All I know is that one way or the other justice will be served.

[b]@ spyder880,

You will agree with me that Brabus completely got it wrong at the bolded above. Obviously Ahonohai is an extremely patient person, hence the reason why this issue has dragged this long. I wouldn't be this patient, hence the reason i chose not to work with Brabus. He obviously knows his job, but goes about it the wrong way.

Let me also add this in all honesty that i would be very comfortable and feel secure if Brabus were to handle my house building project, because he is very good  and i can testify to this. However, a master who does not know how to control and take responsibility for his work cannot be trusted.

This is one of the problem with Nigeria and Nigerians. We never take responsibility for our actions or inaction.

I will suggest that Brabus should seize from posting on this thread until he is done with Ahonohai's crib. If he is able to convince Ahonohai to write a word of commendation about him, that will also help him alot. Lastly, if he is able to convince the moderator to delete this thread, then the better for him.

I wish Brabus all the best.[/b]
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by princeonx: 10:44pm On Oct 23, 2011
spyder880:

You personally said that it's in Nigeria that contractors disappear with people's money, what make you think or believe that this fund was not missused or diverted to a different half done project somewhere like some said? what could possible hold or make a 15days project last for almost 3 moths even though all funds/fees are paid in full? Lets stop backing failures all in the name of naija! if that happen here in the US, I will get that job for 50% off and the contractor will be morethan happy to comply with me for not dragging him to court. FYI too you need permit from the city to do most jobs on your property and you can't get a 4days permit to re-roof your house and 2weeks later you're still killing neighbours with dust and noise. And for those people you mentioned above, if they go on www and claim that they will do something in 1 month and 3 months later its not done, trust me even you yourself will be here blasting them or calling them lire. Nobody here is attacking the contractors on the street. I am also facing some challenges with my own project but this are with guys that I don't even know their names and that is far from someone that set himself aside to make name and set example. And by the way when you post something on a public forum, this is what you get if yawa gazzzz!

1 Like

Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by question(m): 5:42am On Oct 24, 2011
People, please cool your temper.
As you may have noticed Nexthome and his client have not posted on this thread since the last one week. That shows they are sorting out the issue behind the scene as they have both mentioned.

So no need making cynical comments about the builder or trying to add insult upon injury.

Some Nigerian builders are worse off. They will not even apologize or have any remorse,  The shabby or uncompleted and abandoned projects all over the country is an evidence to this
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by Sagewood: 5:52am On Oct 24, 2011
I was not expecting to find this issue still unresolved since the last time I visited nairaland.
Brabus / Nexthome appeared to be a decent building contractor from the beginning, if he takes the right steps, he will be a better contractor.
For what it is worth, let him quickly complete this job, keep the owner happy, and put it behind him.
For everyone, including home owners, prospective home owners, artisans, and building contractors let this saga be an important learning curve.
Some of the major problems of the building industry in Nigeria are the lack of proper education, training, and knowledge in modern building and finishings.
Most people still think like our grand parents and great-grand parents when it comes to building in Nigeria. Just like it is done in the developed nations, artisans and building contractors require formal training or apprenticeship in a technical college or its equivalent for skills acquisition.
Another problem is that of a well written building contract with clearly defined items in a building, including quality of finishings.
Let each contract exhaustively look into every possible scenario to avoid Brabus' kind of problems.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by spyder880(m): 7:02am On Oct 24, 2011
^^^^ Noted, good points.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by Nobody: 8:48am On Oct 24, 2011
I can't believe this is still on.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by spyder880(m): 3:44pm On Oct 24, 2011
prince_onx:

You personally said that it's in Nigeria that contractors disappear with people's money, what make you think or believe that this fund was not missused or diverted to a different half done project somewhere like some said? what could possible hold or make a 15days project last for almost 3 moths even though all funds/fees are paid in full? Lets stop backing failures all in the name of naija! if that happen here in the US, I will get that job for 50% off and the contractor will be morethan happy to comply with me for not dragging him to court. FYI too you need permit from the city to do most jobs on your property and you can't get a 4days permit to re-roof your house and 2weeks later you're still killing neighbours with dust and noise. And for those people you mentioned above, if they go on www and claim that they will do something in 1 month and 3 months later its not done, trust me even you yourself will be here blasting them or calling them lire. Nobody here is attacking the contractors on the street. I am also facing some challenges with my own project but this are with guys that I don't even know their names and that is far from someone that set himself aside to make name and set example. And by the way when you post something on a public forum, this is what you get if yawa gazzzz!

1. Because the owner of the work has not said so.
2. Because of revisions and sometimes unreliable workers, he also mentioned of waiting for refund from a materials dealer.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by spyder880(m): 3:54pm On Oct 24, 2011
ftmom:

Fairly accurate! Let me also add that from experience - most of the so-called professional builders will still go to the street corners and hire painters who used to be laborers and with little or no experience. Yes, they do this even for big money jobs. Why?? That kind of labor is cheaper plus there is a serious dearth of REALLY SKILLED artisans in the industry. What you have for the most part today are artisans with no formal apprenticeship talk less of doing "freedom" like in the old days when some of us dinosaurs were growing up.

Finishing is what does a lot of developers/professional builders in. Arranging blocks and pipes is not rocket science for a fairly experienced builder but that thing called "fine finish" is the bane of the industry. To make a sight pleasant to the eyes - very few builders understand that because they cannot visualize a perfect finish no matter how hard they try. If you cannot visualize something, it's hard to set out to create it.

Good finishers are few and far between in Nigeria, that is just the way it is. In order to manage your artisans, even with a contractor, you often have to be physically present almost every step of the way when it comes to the finishing because often times, the contractor is only slightly better than the artisan. Of course, physical presence when you have a job in Lagos traffic is tough. Unfortunately, most builders cannot execute with excellence at that finishing stage if your appreciation for finishing is eons away from theirs.

Oh and just FYI - some of those million naira properties in Ikoyi (even Banana Island) and VI exhibit poor finishing too regardless of how much money was put into them. Perhaps that is why you find the really wealthy folks will bring in an expatriate artisan to supervise our Naija tradesmen. The super wealthy simply give out almost all the finishing work to expatriates (for the actual labor and supervision).

For those of us who can't afford that but insist on fine finish, you must be  on site to supervise yourself, that's the truth. Even at that, mistakes will still happen because once you leave the plumber to connect your sink in one bathroom at an agreed height, before you come back from the living room, he would have installed it lower than that height and he will wonder why you are so fussy  cheesy

For our Nairaland builders, I am eagerly waiting for the finishing stage because that is what will set you apart from the rest.

Fact, very true.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by Costa2000(m): 6:42pm On Oct 24, 2011
question:

People, please cool your temper.
As you may have noticed Nexthome and his client have not posted on this thread since the last one week. That shows they are sorting out the issue behind the scene as they have both mentioned.

So no need making cynical comments about the builder or trying to add insult upon injury.

Some Nigerian builders are worse off. They will not even apologize or have any remorse, The shabby or uncompleted and abandoned projects all over the country is an evidence to this
Well said.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by lovetosin: 3:03pm On Oct 25, 2011
@spuder880:good day spider,I hope u r learning from this.I admire ur courage n enthusiasm in this ur lofty idea of building cheap affordable homes for d masses but do not forget to watch ur back cuz this same set of pple singing ur praise for cheap quotes will be d first to put u to d sword wen ever u make any little mistake.my lil advice 4 u is to charge accordingly w/o sentiment cuz u will never be afforded dat opportunity wen things go wrong. Client n contractor r trying to stay offline n look for possible ways to end d imbroglio,others dat don't even have d balls to hire a contractor r busy trying to aggravate d situation.thanks for those with their constructive criticisim,I hope Brabus learns from it n apply it to his future endeavours but for those quick to condemn others , I say keep up ur good work n hope u find a career out of it n for d client,for not firing ur contractor n insisting on him finishing d job, I guess u av d believe in him for capable of doing a better job.I hope u resolve ur issues quickly so u cld enjoy ur sweat,
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by Aks(m): 3:50pm On Oct 25, 2011
@ love-tosin----- Nice suggestion but I think this line is not needed my lil advice 4 u is to charge accordingly w/o sentiment cuz u will never be afforded dat opportunity wen things go wrong & I hope Spyder880 (Do you underquote @ da mo) will feel same with me why I said so
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by spyder880(m): 3:52pm On Oct 25, 2011
Thank you Love-tosin, to tell you the truth I have been rethinking this whole idea of building online, or even doing contract building because of my sensitive nature, I love to assist people build their houses so they can be happy but sometimes the Nigerian factor in us makes things difficult. I know people are waiting for me to fail so they can laugh, but I am still doing all these for the real friends I have made online, so they dont say I abandoned them. I have had cause to refuse some few contracts in the past few months because the client sounded as if he will be troublesome.

Building construction is not easy, was not easy and never will be in the future, you are faced with all the negative influences plaguing our country,
Armed robbers
Kidnappers
Dupes
Bad workmen
Troublesome family of owner (siblings and spouse)
Disgruntled friends
Troublesome community
Accidents
Late nights
Etc

I have seen plenty in this short while I have been building houses, although I have some good momories but the negatives have been mind boggling! If not for the courage to carry on, and the encouragement of our nairaland community here, I would have quit long time ago. Anyone who have never built houses dont know what its like, honestly! Its not like any other business, rain beats us on site, the sun, working long hours till night. Its not easy o, and I ask again, how much can you charge to cover your expenses? Fuel, car repairs, other hanging expenses.

I praise anybody who will take building houses as business, owners want to spend only N100k and complete one 6 storey building! And if you try to explain to them why it should be costlier, they think you have finished their money. Friends will be on the side and telling the home owner that the contractor is cheating him, if the contractor changes his shirt, people will say he used the client's cash, even without proof!

Honestly, I don tire.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by bugmenot: 3:59pm On Oct 25, 2011

@Spyder
I'd like to remind you that Brabus started this thread.  I believe it was meant to showcase NextHome's work, help demystify home construction (like your numerous threads), and I believe create some marketing for NextHome.  Once upon a time, there were daily updates by Brabus, mostly positive.  Suddenly, the bubble burst and the client seemed unhappy with every move the contractor made.  I agree with you - everyone makes mistakes.  My bet is that nobody here would cast the first stone if given the opportunity, not even the biggest critics. I also believe that NextHome can do and usually does a good job, buy you would agree with me that this is not one they'd be proudest of.  I don't know Brabus in person, but I know that he did not set out to dupe anybody.  On the other hand, I also believe that the customer's expectations are not outrageous.

But above all and like many of us have said, with things being what they are, the most important thing now is an amicable resolution where each party gets something good out of the entire ordeal.  To those of us on the sideline, it has been a very good learning experience, we probably benefited the most from the entire saga and this thread.

On a final note, may the Almighty mediate in this issue and bring it to a happy conclusion, may he not allow us to find ourselves in similar situations. Above all for those that have started construction, may he provide for them that they may complete what they have started, for those who dream of constructing, may their dreams come true!

Amen, anybody?
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by NextHome(m): 4:06pm On Oct 25, 2011
Amen!
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by Costa2000(m): 6:18pm On Oct 25, 2011
Amennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by lovetosin: 9:03pm On Oct 25, 2011
@ bugmenot: thanks for d constructive criticism,hopefully brabus will learn from dt and be wiser.

@spuder880: please dont give up now,there r still real people out there dt would recognize and sincerely appreciate ur effort towards building at affordable rate.Even tho i haven't work with u,you have no idea how many real people you have inspired, just keep ur head up and keep doing wat u know how do best.

@aks: am not saying to spyder to charge,arm and leg,i said he should charge accordingly w/o sentiment , maybe 'reasonably' is a better word to use.
Trust me,i know what am saying,when trouble pops up,he wld be all alone,taking the hit,all we can do is stay under d comfort of a computer and be typing away or mouthing off like some genius or judge, maybe u haven't seen d fury of an unsatisfied client. i must confess that d ahononai guy has been a real gentleman.Lets just hope for a peaceful resolution.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by ihebrooke(m): 10:04pm On Oct 25, 2011
its really nice to notice that this thread is gradually tending towards a peaceful resolution. It is a welcome development. Like i stated earlier, this whole issue can be resolved amicably. I am not really good at talking much, but will state/clarify some issues.

To all those that called brabus a dupe, if he was one, the client should have been the first person to scream it. He would have come here to tell the whole world that Mr brabus was a dupe. But rather, this was what he said about him,

"2. He started well and at a geat pace but problems started when his wife was due to give birth. I'm sorry to bring this in but I must. HE SHOULD HAVE ASKED FOR PERMISSION TO PAUSE THE PROJECT. I will have asked him to take as much time as he needed.

3. During this period of his absence some of the shoddiest work I have ever seen was done in the house. It is those mistakes we are still correcting.

4. Had I know he would be awol for a while, I would not have paid him his final installments until he returned from his paternity leave."

Those posts alone has shown that Mr Brabus is not a dupe as suggested by some. The problem was lack of supervision during his paternal leave.
This posts has also shown us how good a man Mr Ahoronai is. He was willing to grant him as much time as possible. The only problem was that Mr brabus did not ask! LACK OF COMMUNICATION!

Also, Mr brabus would not have gone through this whole stress educating us(most of us ingrates) on the fundamentals of building construction, if he was a fraudster. For that singular act,(educating us), and for many more being done by Mr spydder, i salute them.
Those aggravating this situation should cease from doing so. It is obvious that the client and the builder has/is reaching an amicable resolution. Afterall, what is the essence of crying more than the bereaved?
Mr Brabus,
Like someone suggested, you can try and convince the moderator to delete the pages where this whole problem began. It will help redeem your reputation.

Despite what people have said and are still saying, I believed in you, and still do believe in you even after your mistake.
Mr Spydder, Thanks for standing by your friend, you are a friend indeed!, But also, you dont need to quit now, because, Quitters never succeed,
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by lucabrasi(m): 12:34am On Oct 26, 2011
love-tosin:

@spuder880:good day spider,I hope u r learning from this.I admire your courage n enthusiasm in this your lofty idea of building cheap affordable homes for d masses but do not forget to watch your back cuz this same set of pple singing your praise for cheap quotes will be d first to put u to d sword wen ever u make any little mistake.my lil advice 4 u is to charge accordingly w/o sentiment cuz u will never be afforded dat opportunity wen things go wrong. Client n contractor r trying to stay offline n look for possible ways to end d imbroglio,others dat don't even have d balls to hire a contractor r busy trying to aggravate d situation.thanks for those with their constructive criticisim,I hope Brabus learns from it n apply it to his future endeavours but for those quick to condemn others , I say keep up your good work n hope u find a career out of it n for d client,for not firing your contractor n insisting on him finishing d job, I guess u av d believe in him for capable of doing a better job.I hope u resolve your issues quickly so u cld enjoy your sweat,
sir with all due respect if you don't have anything better to say i will humbly suggest you keep your thoughts to yourself.how can you advice the man to stop charging affordable fees?
would you rather he added millions to his fees,so how would that add or subtract from his standard of finish or professionalism??
no wonder nigeria is the way it is.kids in their twenties are taking over the world,in us ,uk you will find guys in their mid twenties who have several rental properties and are supervising building construction but not the same in nigeria because of people with similar mentality to yours.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by lucabrasi(m): 1:00am On Oct 26, 2011
spyder880:

Thank you Love-tosin, to tell you the truth I have been rethinking this whole idea of building online, or even doing contract building because of my sensitive nature, I love to assist people build their houses so they can be happy but sometimes the Nigerian factor in us makes things difficult. I know people are waiting for me to fail so they can laugh, but I am still doing all these for the real friends I have made online, so they dont say I abandoned them. I have had cause to refuse some few contracts in the past few months because the client sounded as if he will be troublesome.
i have followed your threads and a lot of threads on here for a long while even though i don't do much postings,so i have seen and read about a number of your projects.however truth be told let us stop this emotional blackmail sire,you are not doing anyone a favour by doing a good job,you are being paid for it and also upholding your building firm which you are representing.if you had been a quack then you wouldn't have gotten more jobs or bigger jobs.pls enlighten me why is it that when a customer complains in nigeria they are automatically seen as difficult or troublesome/should i keep quiet and accept any standard of work so as not to be a troublesome client?
nobody is waiting for you to fail because the sky is big enough to contain every player in the building trade,if you keep having this mindset then you will not give free rain to your capacity to be at the top of your game
being honest and upfront with your projects is not an extra ordinary trait as you are making it sound,if you were practising in the western world,this is expected of you or you wouldn't last in the trade so no one sees it as a big deal,but i guess in a country like nigeria is is like a GODlike quality which only few posses
spyder880:

Building construction is not easy, was not easy and never will be in the future, you are faced with all the negative influences plaguing our country,
Armed robbers
Kidnappers
Dupes
Bad workmen
Troublesome family of owner (siblings and spouse)
Disgruntled friends
Troublesome community
Accidents
Late nights
Etc
nothing comes easy,and you will find that most of these vices you have listed are existent in every single country in the world.you should even be lucky you are not in the western world where the building control representative have to approve your job at every single step of the build including the window frames,flooring e.t.c
you don't have to contend with filthy weather like winter,snow you don't have to contend with racism,lazy workmen,health and safety red tape nightmare.
spyder880:

I have seen plenty in this short while I have been building houses, although I have some good momories but the negatives have been mind boggling! If not for the courage to carry on, and the encouragement of our nairaland community here, I would have quit long time ago. Anyone who have never built houses dont know what its like, honestly! Its not like any other business, rain beats us on site, the sun, working long hours till night. Its not easy o, and I ask again, how much can you charge to cover your expenses? Fuel, car repairs, other hanging expenses.
while you are totally write on the bolded,pls spare a though for the client as well because you don't know what they had to go through to make the funds used in the building project.the same way you are going through this for an honest days job is the same way people are going through a lot to make the millions required for you to execute the build.it is not a client's responsibility to know about your personal issues but i guess its nigeria. the same way the client won't charge you extra like its done in the western world (some call it a penalty clause attached to building contracts)if you don't deliver at the stipulated time which you will agree has happened often in your building career so it goes both ways
spyder880:

I praise anybody who will take building houses as business, owners want to spend only N100k and complete one 6 storey building! And if you try to explain to them why it should be costlier, they think you have finished their money. Friends will be on the side and telling the home owner that the contractor is cheating him, if the contractor changes his shirt, people will say he used the client's cash, even without proof!

Honestly, I don tire.
sir,its a very insulting and patronising comment saying that a prospective client wants you to finish a 6 storey building with 100k.an average building project especially in our part of the world is a big deal by any standards so anyone undertaking such has a right to check and cross check every single expenses and to cut costs where ever.besides you won't really blame the average prospective client for doubting considering the horrible experiences some have gone through ?
what you will spend to build a bungalow in nigeria will purchase same size house in an upmarket area of either uk or the usa,so when you see people arguing over costs and such like they see it as a lot of money and its money off an individual or family's sweat.
if you were going to be totally objective and make your comments devoid of any sentiments then you will quickly realise that those clients making such allegations have good reasons to do so.the allegations are not unfounded and are stuffs that happen and continue to do so since there is no government body to sanction an errant builder or contractor.
even in the uk with the laws,sanctions e.t.c contractors and builders engage in the bolded so how can you excuse such behaviour as unfounded or not true?
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by spyder880(m): 6:00am On Oct 26, 2011
I will reply you Lucabrasi, but we better take this out of this thread, can we cross over to the 'making building quotation' thread?
The learning will continue there so we dont derail our friend's thread, thank you sir for your points. I will visit two sites to supervise work and we shall explore these points together later.

(1) (2) (3) ... (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) ... (56) (Reply)

POP DESIGN & TV WALL INSTALLATION / Call Us For Ur Granite(directly From The Quarry),sharpsand & Sandfilling / You Won't Believe The Babe I Saw In A Face Me I Face You House :

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 128
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.