Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,200 members, 7,873,889 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 08:40 PM

Exploitative Outrageous Duty Charges By Nigerian Customs - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Exploitative Outrageous Duty Charges By Nigerian Customs (18721 Views)

Help! Goods Worth N200,000,000 Detained By NIGERIAN CUSTOMS / Stamp Duty Charges Extended To Savings Account / Nigerian Customs Sabotaging Igbo Businesses - Ohanaeze Youths (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Exploitative Outrageous Duty Charges By Nigerian Customs by MIKOLOWISKA: 3:36am On Dec 02, 2021
Dandy1:

Ha! That's really crazy. Do you mean one has to pay about half the price value of what you ordered in order to get it. You are definitely wrong and are encouraging this unjust exploitation. Who does that? Pay half the prize for duty? It wouldn't even happen in North Korea. Even Kim won't be that heartless.
it's like you don't know what govt is capable of. This is why we should take elections and policy serious as it has serious impact on everyday life

1 Like

Re: Exploitative Outrageous Duty Charges By Nigerian Customs by MIKOLOWISKA: 3:39am On Dec 02, 2021
Dandy1:
I couldn't find a suitable sub-forum for this topic, so I used the general. Kindly patiently read through, if there's anyone that can help - please kindly reach out.

I'm going to be apt and sincere here. So I ordered a musical studio equipment on the Aliexpress 11:11 sales day. The total sum I paid for the item at checkout was $280(114k naira). Free shipping was part of the deal, so it was mouth watering. Normally, I would have used the service of Nairaland trusted shipping agents like Justi4jesu, but she doesn't do Aliexpress the last time I checked.

Fast forward to today, I was called to come pick up my parcel at the local post office. The item was stated on the listing to be shipped through 'Aliexpress standard shipping', I don't know how it ended up in the care of EMS. I reached there, and some sort of invoice was brought out. The attending agent looked at the papers for a moment and told me I would be paying about 39,600 for the clearance. What!!!

I couldn't believe my ears, so I told her to please pass me the document for observation. I saw the estimated value of the item was put at #202,000 naira. How come? It stated on the paper that the custom duty was 10%,which is #20,000. Plus all other trumped up charges, it summed up to #39,600. Plus 1k5 for shipping from Lagos, over 40k. That's about $100, using the current official exchange rate.

I bought a $280 dollar item and I'm being charged $100 for collection? That's like 43% of the value. Even if I am stinkingly rich, which I am not; it's insane to pay such amount. It's like buying a 1milli worth car and paying 430k to clear it. I am an obedient citizen and all, but inflating the price of the item I bought just to cash out big through tariff screams corruption to me. I am very sure just a fraction of the amount will be remitted to government coffers.

Please if there's anybody who has an idea how to go about beating down this obviously outrageous charges, kindly help out. I can print out the issued invoice on the bought item as proof of price if there's a need. Thanks.

Lalasticlala and other mods, I will be glad if this can make front page for more awareness of this unjust situation. Thanks
either start producing within our borders or change the govt policy from the top or smuggle it in
Re: Exploitative Outrageous Duty Charges By Nigerian Customs by Nobody: 12:32pm On Dec 02, 2021
Upright750:

Its not about shipping company . Its about corrupt costom service, some times your shippment will arrive and go successfully without any extral payment , sometimes they stop it and make a ridiculous demands for extral charges even when u your shipment is value less than the previous ones. Somes times they give out ur information to scammers even beforr your shippment arrive . Those scammers will be calling ur reciver with all the information demanding for money. Men nigeria way dey tire person. Alwats maje simple things to be came stressful . anyway .. if you know u jniw.

I have never experienced such always have the phone number of a delivery man that works there and tip them that way whenever they see your name they hold your package
Re: Exploitative Outrageous Duty Charges By Nigerian Customs by Dandy1(m): 5:20pm On Dec 05, 2021
AntonVince:
@Dandy1:

I suppose they employed their dubious "Customs Valuation" as against the item's actual worth during Duty calculation.
smiley
They do that a lot.

Just get the item's invoice and any other supporting document that could establish the actual amount your purchased it and ask the Courier company that shipped it in to send same to the Nigerian Customs for a re-evaluation of the applicable tariff.

It will be reviewed.

Thank you. I already submitted a letter of request for revaluation to them, but from my findings it seems that hardly works. I am awaiting their response while I look for money to pay, in case the levy is not reduced.
Re: Exploitative Outrageous Duty Charges By Nigerian Customs by Dandy1(m): 5:40pm On Dec 05, 2021
Revolution001:
Your purchase exchange rate is N407.
They must have used the parallel mkt rate in their own calculation. Just guessing anyway

No, I think what those guys do is go online to Aliexpress and search for the item to get the price. In my case I was unlucky because they miscalculated another superior version of what I bought. The names are almost the same with just difference of 2 letters. There are 2 versions, the costlier one was what I was charged for. When I calculated the 202k they estimated, it was exactly the price of the more expensive version. See pictures below.

Re: Exploitative Outrageous Duty Charges By Nigerian Customs by Dandy1(m): 5:45pm On Dec 05, 2021
Lorddominic:

You made a valid point here... No reasonable importer in all d markets in Lagos at present, declare d actual worth or quantity of goods imported... My advice, just pay up and pick your goods. Ensure you do d needful next time by pleading with the shipper to under-estimate d worth of the item before shipping.

I reached out to the seller. He actually devalued the item even though I didn't request he should do it. He said he put in the invoice.
Re: Exploitative Outrageous Duty Charges By Nigerian Customs by BigBrother9ja: 8:28am On Jun 05, 2022
almayda:
Guy it has little to do with Customs, all items being imported have different rate of duty, 0%, 5%, 20% and 35%.This rate of duty is set my FEC for Customs to enforce.Next time you want to ship in any item, look within and compare the price, including, cost, insurance freight and duty cost, most times, you are better off buying in Nigeria...exactly what govt wants you to do.
It won't be well with customs and FEC
Re: Exploitative Outrageous Duty Charges By Nigerian Customs by BigBrother9ja: 1:04pm On Jun 05, 2022
tujays:
small 43% you dey para. I live In Thailand where they pay 300% to Import goods or anything from abroad especially goods coming from USA. madam abi oga, pay up and carry your parcel you get luck sey the parcel arrived safely without hearing stories that touch.
Or deh
And you think it makes sense Abi

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Guide To Create, Verify, And Activate Wise Account In Nigeria / Japan Pharma Company “Otsuka” Establish $50m Factory In Shagamu / Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.