Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,788 members, 7,879,436 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 06:18 PM

Is Kanu Nwankwo A Nigerian Football Legend? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Is Kanu Nwankwo A Nigerian Football Legend? (3864 Views)

Kanu Nwankwo Visits Kelechi Iheanacho In Manchester / Amara & Kanu Nwankwo With Thierry Henry (Photo) / Kanu Nwankwo's Son Flaunts His Father's Ferrari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Kanu Nwankwo A Nigerian Football Legend? by yoji: 5:05pm On Jun 11, 2011
I know Kanu is naija's most decorated player, because he has won everything that can be won @ European club level and not forgetting his amazing feat @ Atlanta where he brought more joy to the country than any other player.

But this is the problem, on d senior national team level, he didn't do much and technically, the Olympics is considered a tournament not for pro's.

He went to 2 world cups and 3 or so Nations Cups without impact and has only 1 or 2 nations cup goals with one being a penalty sef.

Many will point to his Olympics feat but I wont say Di Maria is an Argentine legend because he scored the winning goal against us in that final.

Legendary status is appointed to those that did it @ the highest level and that is why there is this consensus that Messi, despite being more talented than Pele and Maradona, will not be rated above them unless he wins a world cup.
Re: Is Kanu Nwankwo A Nigerian Football Legend? by snowdrops(m): 5:06pm On Jun 11, 2011
for footballing reasons he is a naija legend alright.
Re: Is Kanu Nwankwo A Nigerian Football Legend? by manneger(m): 5:29pm On Jun 11, 2011
Papilo is a legend in footbal no doubt but but very very novice in english lan. Papilo biko, anam achosi gi acho, try improve
Re: Is Kanu Nwankwo A Nigerian Football Legend? by yommys01(m): 5:45pm On Jun 11, 2011
Don't mean to be rude but this is a dumb question. If he is not a legend then who is?
Re: Is Kanu Nwankwo A Nigerian Football Legend? by eghost247(m): 6:00pm On Jun 11, 2011
some people just like to challenge everything stupdily
Re: Is Kanu Nwankwo A Nigerian Football Legend? by Delafruita(m): 6:12pm On Jun 11, 2011
@yoji
winning the world cup doesnt make a player a legend just as not winning it doesnt rob them of their legendary status.many of the great players we acknowledege today did not win the world cup.platini,johan cryuff,edgar davids,eric cantona,david beckam,andrei shevchenko,luis figo,baggio and many others never won the world cup.but they and many others like them are regarded as legends of football.papilo is definitely a legend of football in africa and even though he never scored a goal in the nations cup,he was crowned the african footballer of the year twice,he was a world champion at youth level in jpan 93',an olympic champion,a champions league winner and most importantly an inspiration to the world during his battle with heart disease.a legend is a person a younger generations wants to emulate his achievements nd i can tell you,millions of youths all over africa have papilo as their inspiration.arsenal will always owe him for that great comeback in the FA cup final aginst chelsea,portsmouth will lways remeber that papilo handed the FA cup against manchester united and westbrom will lways remember that papilo saved them from relegation.nigeria will always remember those smiles,deft moves and inspirational actions of papilo while africa will lways remember that papilo handed africa its first soccer gold at the olympics.what more does it take to become a legend?
Re: Is Kanu Nwankwo A Nigerian Football Legend? by mallorca(m): 6:20pm On Jun 11, 2011
a man of 40 sometin yrs old still platin his head,
Re: Is Kanu Nwankwo A Nigerian Football Legend? by Hardeyorlah(f): 6:28pm On Jun 11, 2011
its doesnt mata if he is plaiting his hair,he truly deserved to b called a legend.
Re: Is Kanu Nwankwo A Nigerian Football Legend? by EzeUche1(m): 6:28pm On Jun 11, 2011
What kind of question is this? angry
Re: Is Kanu Nwankwo A Nigerian Football Legend? by buzugee(m): 6:33pm On Jun 11, 2011
is a black man the president of america ?
Re: Is Kanu Nwankwo A Nigerian Football Legend? by Soundmind(m): 6:35pm On Jun 11, 2011
@Delafruita
You are most correct. Kanu is a football legend
Re: Is Kanu Nwankwo A Nigerian Football Legend? by Delafruita(m): 6:40pm On Jun 11, 2011
@mallorca
what exactly is supposed to be the point in your post.what makes it a crime for a man to plait his hair?or is it a sin?many nigerians like you are very myopic in their reasonong to the point where you think culture is a "one size fits all".different cultures have different norms therefore what is unacceptable in one culture is commonplace elsewhere.if the man decided to express himself by plaiting his hair,so be it.tht doesnt make him less legendary in the eye of those who admire his on-field and off-field activities
Re: Is Kanu Nwankwo A Nigerian Football Legend? by xpagnol: 6:55pm On Jun 11, 2011
@yoji
Kanu is never a legend but its your father in the remote village of sudan is the legend of our time,
In my place we call pple like you winch people.Ode.
Re: Is Kanu Nwankwo A Nigerian Football Legend? by yommys01(m): 7:04pm On Jun 11, 2011
a man of 40 sometin yrs old still platin his head,
Get to his level first before complain. Who about those idiot politicians who are not plaiting their hair but are embezzling the money that belong to us all.

IBB is right, some Nigerians talk then think. Real idiot, that is what you are.
Re: Is Kanu Nwankwo A Nigerian Football Legend? by DEcyrus: 7:11pm On Jun 11, 2011
ldkmtw, una no go kill person for naira land
Re: Is Kanu Nwankwo A Nigerian Football Legend? by DExplorer1: 7:28pm On Jun 11, 2011
Re: Is Kanu Nwankwo A Nigerian Football Legend? by member479760: 7:47pm On Jun 11, 2011
ofcourse, his not!
Re: Is Kanu Nwankwo A Nigerian Football Legend? by fxtopedia(m): 8:13pm On Jun 11, 2011
yoji:

I know Kanu is naija's most decorated player, because he has won everything that can be won @ European club level and not forgetting his amazing feat @ Atlanta where he brought more joy to the country than any other player.

But this is the problem, on d senior national team level, he didn't do much and technically, the Olympics is considered a tournament not for pro's.

He went to 2 world cups and 3 or so Nations Cups without impact and has only 1 or 2 nations cup goals with one being a penalty sef.

Many will point to his Olympics feat but I wont say Di Maria is an Argentine legend because he scored the winning goal against us in that final.

Legendary status is appointed to those that did it @ the highest level and that is why there is this consensus that Messi, despite being more talented than Pele and Maradona, will not be rated above them unless he wins a world cup.

Comparing Kanu with Di Maria? Hmmmm, you make no point!
Is George Weah a legend? If yes, why?

You need to check dictionary to understand meaning of legend,  rofl
Re: Is Kanu Nwankwo A Nigerian Football Legend? by TheRock2(m): 8:29pm On Jun 11, 2011
If he likes let him platt his hair and put on earing, that doesn't take anything away from what he is A Legend. Bush people that that deserves to be living in caves.
Re: Is Kanu Nwankwo A Nigerian Football Legend? by earlalright(m): 8:37pm On Jun 11, 2011
i See Kanu as an ambassador. the most humble and patriotic player of Nigeria who would always honour every invitation whether he plays or not and his heart foundation makes him so loved by me
Re: Is Kanu Nwankwo A Nigerian Football Legend? by md4real(m): 8:44pm On Jun 11, 2011
@poster, mention any nigerian footballer that has achieved better or equalled papilo's feat. He is a true legend
Re: Is Kanu Nwankwo A Nigerian Football Legend? by Rossikk(m): 9:51pm On Jun 11, 2011
I stopped reading when the poster said Messi was more talented than Pele.

Some people really have issues for real.
Re: Is Kanu Nwankwo A Nigerian Football Legend? by iiiyyyk(m): 10:21pm On Jun 11, 2011
y cant some pple for once be a bitt positive about ours. world cup or not kanu is a legend. u can go and hang .
Re: Is Kanu Nwankwo A Nigerian Football Legend? by Stonnydrey(m): 10:34pm On Jun 11, 2011
Mr. Kanu Azubuike Nwabkwo, Welcome Home Sir,
Re: Is Kanu Nwankwo A Nigerian Football Legend? by shilling(f): 11:05pm On Jun 11, 2011
Seriously, is that a question?
Re: Is Kanu Nwankwo A Nigerian Football Legend? by KDULAR: 11:17pm On Jun 11, 2011
Undoubtedly Yeeesssss
Re: Is Kanu Nwankwo A Nigerian Football Legend? by shotster50(m): 11:25pm On Jun 11, 2011
Is the OP a human being?
Re: Is Kanu Nwankwo A Nigerian Football Legend? by mykhel995: 11:42pm On Jun 11, 2011
earlalright:

i See Kanu as an ambassador. the most humble and patriotic player of Nigeria who would always honour every invitation whether he plays or not and his heart foundation makes him so loved by me
GBAM.
Re: Is Kanu Nwankwo A Nigerian Football Legend? by Porthable(m): 1:28am On Jun 12, 2011
@yoji. Thnks jare nd hlp me tlk mre sense into dis guy.
Do u even knw d defination of a legend? Lt me tel u sumtin, after a feat like dat, wining the champions league wit dat single goal, if he was lionel kanu, he would hve been nominted for ballon d or!
Re: Is Kanu Nwankwo A Nigerian Football Legend? by juman(m): 6:51am On Jun 12, 2011
Yes, of course.
Re: Is Kanu Nwankwo A Nigerian Football Legend? by kembrat(m): 9:37am On Jun 12, 2011
I'm a cameroonian and Kanu is with Okocha my favorites nigerian football players, and definitely among the best of their generation. Ok, i understand that at the senior level, he didn't win that much, but what makes somebody a legend is the global impact he has made on his time period.
- Drogba never win anything with Ivory coast, he just went to the ACN's final once, and has never been among the top scorer of the continental competition, but does this stop him to being a legend? I don't think so.
- Weah never gone anywhere with his national team, but he's still a reference (if not the reference) for all african players.
- Kalusha Bwalya never win anything with Zambia but he's still probably the the most genius player that came from the south part of Africa.
And so son,

Nwankwo Kanu is a true football legend!
Period!
Re: Is Kanu Nwankwo A Nigerian Football Legend? by Justcash(m): 10:39am On Jun 12, 2011
Is George Weah a Legend? If yes, How many world cups and African nations cups did he win with liberia?

(1) (2) (Reply)

PHCN Begs Abeokuta Residents To Switch Off Appliances During Eagles Match / Super Falcons' Francisca Ordega Foundation Celebrate Christmas In Style(photos) / Uefa Champions League Winners From 1955 Till Date

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.