Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,173 members, 7,907,174 topics. Date: Thursday, 01 August 2024 at 04:22 AM

Oracle DBA Corner - Computers (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Oracle DBA Corner (52955 Views)

Newbies Corner / Windows 8 Is Around The Corner / The Best Laptop Engineers Around The Corner (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oracle DBA Corner by stardeejay(m): 10:54am On Feb 19, 2008
pls, i need to talk with someone that reisdes in Abuja
I wont mind talking with u Monnex or Sleek_chick. thanks
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by jimblaze(m): 6:08pm On Apr 02, 2008
hey star, i reside in Abuja and i did my oca in jan and passed so now am reading towards my ocp,so drop me a line lets catch up and put heads 2gether
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by webguru(m): 9:13pm On Apr 07, 2008
pls how do i install linux
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by A40(m): 4:34pm On Apr 10, 2008
I have OCA's scheduled for next month and basically i am reading like a posessed man can anyone link me with dumps and study guides i have been to oraclecoach.com its a nice site any other tips and advice would be really appreciated
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by stardeejay(m): 11:51am On Apr 18, 2008
hi,guys
pls can someone staying in Abuja help me with the oracle 10g software on windows?
I'm currently a student in NIIT Abuja.
pls HELP ME!
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by itsmayiela(m): 5:15pm On Apr 18, 2008
Pls, can any1 help send me materials and softwares on Oracle 10G? My email is itsmayiela@yahoo.com.
God will reward the sender in a million fold,
I love u all, kiss
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by A40(m): 7:47pm On Apr 21, 2008
Unfortunately nothing goes for nothing my guy i didnt get mine free and i am definitely not giving it out for free either but with a small fee i could send you the software and even complimentary dumps if you want to write the exams grin
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by pharuk: 4:44pm On Apr 27, 2008
i
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by chucket(m): 3:12pm On Apr 28, 2008
please friends,

I had a short class at NIIT on SQL server 2000.
I understood it so well. Will it be of any help if I
decide to go into oracle 10g?

I am just a beginner, but would need your experienced
guideliness and directions. I have read through and I am
glad and surprised at the kind of assistance you render to
each other!

All of you are blessed.
Will be able to reap from your knowledge?
I an internet connection. Is there anything I would need to do?

Please I want to know how to start,
the steps to take and where to get what.
I am ready and out to go all the way!

I would be very grateful if someone can sacrifice his/her time to
give me a hand.

Thanks
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by karthika: 3:03am On May 06, 2008
hai all can any one send me IZO 141 dumps or some free download links to my id v_karthikayani@yahoo.co.in

Please consider this as an urgent message
Thanks in advance.
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by karthika: 3:32am On May 06, 2008
hai al i have completed my OCA with 95 %. I am intrested in Oracle jobs .I am MSc(IT) graduate (Fresher) crycan any one guide me with some oppurtunities in Oracle for freshers.I ampreparing for OCP,Probably i would complete that by this may end.So can any one guide me shocked .
Thanks in advance kiss

Re: Oracle DBA Corner by uzoo: 11:36pm On May 06, 2008
hi everyone.

i'm new to all this IT stuff , i just finished my 3 months certificate course in database management,
and would ,like to go for the oracle training , can someone pls recommend an affordable center
where i can register to train for oracle courses .i have a 2.1 in business admin and just want to take it to the next level.
and increase my work prospects.

or better yet , any private oracle trainer who's interested in teaching me at home, should pls post contact details
so we can talk.

thanks.
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by Nobody: 6:39pm On May 07, 2008
Great happening here,am surprised that despite my frequent logon on nairaland, i never search the DBA corner out. thank God I didi read thro the thread, and its really educative to say is an understatement.
Well I have passed my OCP exam last december i.e 2007 but never worked in an Oracle deployed environment. Presently i work with SQL server.
My dREAM While i was i School was to be a sesoned DBA of international Repute as i have seen and red about in the OrACLE mAG.
Babalasi , Sleek chick, you guies are rich, i want to lern from you and others, and also contribute in my little ways.
To start with i want to suggest we develop and form local communities of DBAs and prospective DBAs in addition to this Forum,i mean based on our Areas . say festac, Ikeja, Surulere, etc. i don't know if anyone is catching up with what i am suggesting. this would be necessary and very helpful in times when we need to practically demonstrate somethings/ideas to ourselves. like the installation on linux, solaris thing , if we have local communities for each areas , nairalanders can fashion out on the forum when , where and how to educate or communicate i idea to one /mor people.
i have aslo observed that such local forums /associatio/ societies exitsed for wetsern /developed countries and have really benefited the members.
we can be the first to start up some thing like that in Africa and so much add flavour to it that it will speeed up the development of Our IT industry and become the Envy of the Western World! cry food for thought
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by jimblaze(m): 1:03pm On May 08, 2008
@ericalesh i totally feel you,am in Abuja so all you DBA's in Abuja lets put heads together and network for our benefit and that of the wider community
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by Nobody: 1:19pm On May 08, 2008
cool, little droplets of water make a mighty ocean, so you guies are the first local DBA Society ,i am in Lagos, we have started ours today too.but it depends on our it views by subbcriber to this forum, i mean how Lagos society is gonna be, becos Lagos pretty big. lets be a LAGOS sOCIETY first,then we decide what next!
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by 2marto: 1:22pm On May 08, 2008
give advice of the best place to learn oracle and unix in lag
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by TBits: 11:10am On May 16, 2008
The first information you need to know is that oracle will only award certificates upon completion of Exams if the individual attends traing in at least one of the course at an oracle university partner institute.
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by A40(m): 8:50pm On May 29, 2008
Just aced my OCA's been pushing back the exam for a while but i took it today and i aced it.OCP'S AND OCM'S to go i guess.Would love to know a bit more about SAP too and how it works in tandem with Oracle
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by LeMoor(m): 4:58am On Jun 17, 2008
Hi everyone. I havent been to this forum in a long time. was just browsing randomly and i remembered i used to be a member here during my serious foruming days.

Anyways, I have been reading this thread with interest, and it is a good thing to see many young uns getting into Oracle in Nigeria now. When I started, there were only a handful of us, and very few organizations even used oracle. but with that said, i will get right to the issues.

To be a dba, isnt really very difficult, but you have to be ready to get your hands dirty, when i say dirty, I mean you should be ready to break stuff, and fix it. That is the only way to learn. Certifications are great and a good start, but it should not be the ticket to getting into job market. as a dba, i have interviewed pple with fantastic resumes and certification, only to find out the couldnt tell me where to find the alertlog, much less start up a database from the command line. Even when you ace your certifictions, ty tp be focused on the practical side of stuff (not the book stuff). Forget the definition, of what a primary key is and learn how to configure a backup database using rman. This is what sells and this is what will get folks through the door.

I am not trying to sound like a wet blanket, but I have been doing this for a while (since version cool, and I have worked in Nigeria, UK and the US. I am not a guru, but i can hold my own.

I love to be of assistance to anyone that is interested in oracle, in my own little way (advice or materials, or interview questions graded into levels of dicciculty <based on my little experience and how i would conduct an inteview). I am sorry i don't have exam dumps, cos any real dba can tell if u have practical experience or not regardless of how many certifications you hold.
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by timi07(m): 11:08am On Jun 17, 2008
Sup everyone i need someone to put me through Oracle DBA PRATICALS pls my e mail address is timi_com@yahoo.com

pharuk:

i will give for free, am here to help people because some how i get lucky from helping people.
send me an email or call me even if u stay in the atlantic ocean, i wrote my OCA this month and had 91%. so ready to help, because thats what this forum is about right? just imagine if we were to pay to view this blog or something.
am not burning any cable, just want to help those who don't really have so much
malcolmeter@yahoo.com

Le Moor:

Hi everyone. I havent been to this forum in a long time. was just browsing randomly and i remembered i used to be a member here during my serious foruming days.

Anyways, I have been reading this thread with interest, and it is a good thing to see many young uns getting into Oracle in Nigeria now. When I started, there were only a handful of us, and very few organizations even used oracle. but with that said, i will get right to the issues.

To be a dba, isnt really very difficult, but you have to be ready to get your hands dirty, when i say dirty, I mean you should be ready to break stuff, and fix it. That is the only way to learn. Certifications are great and a good start, but it should not be the ticket to getting into job market. as a dba, i have interviewed people with fantastic resumes and certification, only to find out the couldnt tell me where to find the alertlog, much less start up a database from the command line. Even when you ace your certifictions, ty tp be focused on the practical side of stuff (not the book stuff). Forget the definition, of what a primary key is and learn how to configure a backup database using rman. This is what sells and this is what will get folks through the door.

I am not trying to sound like a wet blanket, but I have been doing this for a while (since version cool, and I have worked in Nigeria, UK and the US. I am not a guru, but i can hold my own.

I love to be of assistance to anyone that is interested in oracle, in my own little way (advice or materials, or interview questions graded into levels of dicciculty <based on my little experience and how i would conduct an inteview). I am sorry i don't have exam dumps, because any real dba can tell if u have practical experience or not regardless of how many certifications you hold.
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by pharuk: 5:02pm On Jun 17, 2008
DBA's, who do we help each other? i have gone through all the post and have discovered that most questions have been left unanswered, except its private then it no longer becomes a DBA corner. lets try to answer some questions and refer if possible.
sucess
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by jimblaze(m): 6:12pm On Jun 17, 2008
hey lemoor how r u?i was glas when i saw this thread updated,i did oracle in NIIT last year and did my OCA this year and am reading towards my OCP.Your are spot on about the practicality aspect, most of the technical stuff i learnt was on my own practicing and messing up my database and laptop when most of my classmates were to scared to even shutdown their database.Anyway i would love to hear from you,are u in Abuja?The Lord blessed me with my first Oracle dba job at an IT firm called Numeric Solutions which i will start very soon.Do you have any materials on Real Application Clusters?We were not taught but it seems its in high demand and also Introduction to PL/SQL?PL/SQL is one area i would really like to get into.So please get back to me lets interact, have a blessed day!
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by LeMoor(m): 6:29pm On Jun 17, 2008
Pharuk,
WHich questions were left unanswered. I will try to answer them if I can.

Jimblaze,
Nice one, I am not in abuja. I am in the US. so my timing of posting s might be weird because of the time difference. But I do have materials on Oracle RAC (cant remember if they are soft copies or in hard copies) but hit me up on pm and we will see what we can workout. I will also try to get you documents on performance tuning and things you should look for? Glad that you got the job. What versions of databases will you be managing and on what platform?
Databases are serious business, and are the life bloood of many organisations. It is one of those areas, where u are like a goldfish in an organisation, and everyone noticies you, because if something goes wrong everyone will know.

My tip for you as you go into this new job, if possible, create a sandbox (test environment) for yourself, where you will 1st test out scripts and queries, before you run them on production databases, that way, you will earn, and you will have an idea of the impact any action you might take will impact the database. Also, please never be trigger happy, always think well before running any queries that have 'deletes' , updates or truncates in them. I have seen even experienced dbas, get into trouble because of such little negligent acts.
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by timi07(m): 2:18pm On Jun 18, 2008
sup le moor hw u doing. am so happy that people like u are on these forum pls am new in oracle i need advise n material. i will be very greatful if u can do something about it
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by LeMoor(m): 4:54pm On Jun 18, 2008
Whats up?
What aspect of Oracle are you into? Development, Administartion or Apps?
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by timi07(m): 4:55pm On Jun 18, 2008
adminstration
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by LeMoor(m): 6:31pm On Jun 18, 2008
That is cool.
So what materials would you like? Materials to Pass the exam, or materials to understand database administration. How new are you, have you used it before, or are u just starting?

Hope you don't feel I ask too many questions, but I personally believe, if you want to be a good DBA, then a good approach is needed which will make you fundamentally sound in database administrations.

I would normally recommend starting out with undertanding database design concepts. This is the fundamental building block of databases. And if you can understand it, then, believe me, database administration would come to you easily, because then you will understand the logic and the relationships that make the database what it is. Because as a DBA at some point, you would be called upon to design a database, and that is where ur knowledge of the fundamentals will come from.

If you agree with me, them, I can try to provide you with materials for database design (Physical, and logical database, design. entity relationships etc etc). This might initially seem boring, but it is the better way to go. It is a bottom-up approach that will make anyone fundamentally sound.

Then we can move on to oracle specific fundamentals, and how Oracle interfaces with the OS and with the applications that use it. A lot of pple forget oracle is just a repository that provides storage for a whole load of applications that will sit on it.

I will try to start putting this materials together (i just stumbled on this thread and i sort of got inspired to share my knowlegde). Hit me up on pm, and maybe we could chat some more, then, based on ur feedback i will be able to offer more advice.

Do not worry if my responses are slow, it will be because of the time difference and i do sometimes get really busy.
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by timi07(m): 9:50am On Jun 19, 2008
Le Moor:

That is cool.
So what materials would you like? Materials to Pass the exam, or materials to understand database administration. How new are you, have you used it before, or are u just starting?

Hope you don't feel I ask too many questions, but I personally believe, if you want to be a good DBA, then a good approach is needed which will make you fundamentally sound in database administrations.

I would normally recommend starting out with undertanding database design concepts. This is the fundamental building block of databases. And if you can understand it, then, believe me, database administration would come to you easily, because then you will understand the logic and the relationships that make the database what it is. Because as a DBA at some point, you would be called upon to design a database, and that is where your knowledge of the fundamentals will come from.

If you agree with me, them, I can try to provide you with materials for database design (Physical, and logical database, design. entity relationships etc etc). This might initially seem boring, but it is the better way to go. It is a bottom-up approach that will make anyone fundamentally sound.

Then we can move on to oracle specific fundamentals, and how Oracle interfaces with the OS and with the applications that use it. A lot of people forget oracle is just a repository that provides storage for a whole load of applications that will sit on it.

I will try to start putting this materials together (i just stumbled on this thread and i sort of got inspired to share my knowlegde). Hit me up on pm, and maybe we could chat some more, then, based on your feedback i will be able to offer more advice.

Do not worry if my responses are slow, it will be because of the time difference and i do sometimes get really busy.

Thanks amillion bro, it really nice of you finding time to reply me am so greatful about it.

Am new in DBA, i need materials to understand database administration starting from fundamental building block of

databases. pls am most time online dis my id timi_com@yahoo.com
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by jimblaze(m): 2:44pm On Jun 19, 2008
hey le moor thanks for the advise i wouldnt mind the book on RAC and any performance and tuning books,also have u got anything on PL/SQL? well i dont know what version of oracle i would be managing but i think its 10g on windows.I also want to to learn linux and sun solaris O/S and in between trying to get an international degree in Information technology, so yea i got my hands full but its for the best,its also good to get someone like you here who is willing to help others progress
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by LeMoor(m): 4:59pm On Jun 19, 2008
timi, i will holla at you later on yahoo.

Jimblaze, i will send you pdf books i have on administration. Covers a lot and it will serve as a good reference point when u run into road -blocks. And when u do start, if u have any issues, ask, and we can look into it together (but u still didnt send me ur email or where u want me to send it.)

I dont do too much of Pl-SQL anymore. I am now more of an Architect and i set up imfrastructure for organisations. Database design, and relationshipt with data warehouses, back-up and recovery strategies and the set-up of stand-by databases. I still do performance tuning, minimally (My mantra is to get it right from the design stage, and u will be coasting later). But my experience has shown me thet, 90% of the time, bad performance is normally tied to bad codes, then user errors. Oracle Database itself, (if set-up correctly) is rarely ever the issue.
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by jimblaze(m): 9:30pm On Jun 19, 2008
thanx alot le moor,my email is jim_nig@hotmail.com,stay blessed!
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by LeMoor(m): 10:24pm On Jun 19, 2008
Confirm if u recieved any docs,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply)

11 Reasons You Should Quit Facebook In 2014 / 15 Keyboard Shortcuts Every Computer Geek Should Know / How To Know If Your Laptop Is Refurbish

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.