Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,483 members, 7,968,332 topics. Date: Monday, 07 October 2024 at 03:22 AM

Religious Tolerance Among The Yorubas. Personal Experience - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Religious Tolerance Among The Yorubas. Personal Experience (2170 Views)

My Personal Experience At Apple Junction During Peter Obi's Rally / My Experience In Sweden And Religious Tolerance. / Opinion: Why Do The Yorubas Exhibit High Level Of Religious Tolerance? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Religious Tolerance Among The Yorubas. Personal Experience by todaynewsreview: 6:00am On Dec 12, 2021
I'll try to be brief on this.

During the dedication service of a new Church building, Vicarage and Church Hall of St. Peter's Anglican Church, Magbon-Alade, in Eti-Okun Archdeaconry, Lagos, yesterday, Saturday, 11 December 2021, I witness something that I still ponder on and will still be memorable.

In the past, bodies like MURIC and other religious groups tend to make one believe there's much division and the Yorubas religious wise but seems that may not be entirely true.

During the dedication service, one of my colleagues and I were opportune to be around a young lady who took out her time to interpreting some of the proceedings in Yoruba to us. The said lady during the service sang along, prayed, participated in all other events. Moreover, she also dressed in the event attire "ashoebi".

Towards the end of the programme, I try to inquire the particular parish she worship. To my surprise, she said, she's a Muslim but was only invited. This was a great surprise to my colleague and I since she participated in most of the activities of that day.

Ever since that shocking revelation by her, I have been wondering and pondering on, what could be the missing line to the series of publications about religious intolerance among the Yorubas? Can we as a people not learn from such act of harmonious life style? Should religion or even denomination divide us?

Religious and community leaders should look for ways to promote harmonious living and religious tolerance among our people.

Cc: seun, lalasticlala

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Religious Tolerance Among The Yorubas. Personal Experience by helinues: 6:05am On Dec 12, 2021
Interesting to read

My small community, almost all the religions in the region are practiced there.

Christianity, Muslim, Masquerade, Oro, Ogboni , Igunuko, Gelede.. And we all live together as one

Yoruba's should be amongst the most religious tolerance tribe

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Religious Tolerance Among The Yorubas. Personal Experience by Dreadshy: 6:08am On Dec 12, 2021
It only that mumuric Ishaq man, with his myopic views that claim there is religious intolerance in the south west. In many south western families there are muslim, christian or even traditionalist siblings peacefully living together.
We know that family comes first before what we believe and that is what makes south westerners unique...

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Religious Tolerance Among The Yorubas. Personal Experience by YorubaNiBaba(m): 6:18am On Dec 12, 2021
That is how we roll in yoruba land
May GOD continue to bless yorubaland

14 Likes

Re: Religious Tolerance Among The Yorubas. Personal Experience by Opeyemic01: 6:20am On Dec 12, 2021
This is true of yoruba people, although there can be occasional infractions, they settle it among themselves, they don't allow it degenerate

10 Likes

Re: Religious Tolerance Among The Yorubas. Personal Experience by Guestlander: 6:24am On Dec 12, 2021
If a couple can live under the same roof and practice different religions that is the height of tolerance.
This type of relationship is quite common in Yorubaland and it is something others can learn from.

8 Likes

Re: Religious Tolerance Among The Yorubas. Personal Experience by helinues: 6:28am On Dec 12, 2021
Guestlander:
If a couple can live under the same roof and practice different religions that is the height of tolerance.
This type of relationship is quite common in Yorubaland and it is something others can learn from.

One herbalist in my hood married a prophetess. Mixed religion marriage is so common in SW and it's due to the level of tolerance in the region

9 Likes

Re: Religious Tolerance Among The Yorubas. Personal Experience by helinues: 6:39am On Dec 12, 2021
1556s:
[s][/s]

Ordinary political tolerance, you no get not to talk of religious tolerance.

You heart is full of hatred towards others hence wasting time to be cancelling 40+ NL's comments which eventually all the efforts would be wiped with a click of a button

Inside this beautiful life

8 Likes

Re: Religious Tolerance Among The Yorubas. Personal Experience by CaptainAyub: 6:45am On Dec 12, 2021
1556s:
[s][/s]
Good morning Patriot

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Religious Tolerance Among The Yorubas. Personal Experience by flokii: 6:48am On Dec 12, 2021
One thing peculiar about Yorubas is that we give opportunities regardless of race, religion or tribe.. opportunities abound in Yoruba space for love, education, business etc. unlike others.

God bless all Odua sons and daughters worldwide
#ProudlyYoruba

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Religious Tolerance Among The Yorubas. Personal Experience by fergie001: 6:55am On Dec 12, 2021
I can sight Most Revd Humphrey Olumakaiye and the former Dean, Ephraim Ademowo (Emeritus Archbishop of Lagos).

Onward Christian Soldiers....

3 Likes

Re: Religious Tolerance Among The Yorubas. Personal Experience by Nobody: 7:03am On Dec 12, 2021
I don't know why Yoruba always like to shalaye Why you trying to prove your religion tolerance to people that don't even understand religion undecided

Muric is an objective man, so far he doesn't target other ethnic group or religious group, we don't need to throw him out to the wolves to proof a point.

I have listen to the sermons of Muslim North and sermon Christian East, I can beat my chest Muric is not half as religion extremist as both of them.

What Yoruba need to understand is that enemies are trying to use religion to divide and conquer us easily.

2 Likes

Re: Religious Tolerance Among The Yorubas. Personal Experience by Nobody: 7:12am On Dec 12, 2021
Why did mods removed this topic "Re: What Does SW Contribute To The Lives Of Other Nigerians"?

When I read about lopsidedness and hypocrisy of this forum, the above have confirmed such claims.

Is this forum no more interactive, or is it only Igbo and Hausas that deserves mockery, bashing and discrimination at the expense of Yourbas? It is unfair.

If I should suggest, I will pray every good analyst's, debaters to carry the above topic to very other topics on Nairaland; let's see if they will remove all topics and ban everybody.
Re: Religious Tolerance Among The Yorubas. Personal Experience by Bantu10: 7:13am On Dec 12, 2021
helinues:

One herbalist in my hood married a prophetess. Mixed religion marriage is so common in SW and it's due to the level of tolerance in the region

That is how skull mining starts

2 Likes

Re: Religious Tolerance Among The Yorubas. Personal Experience by kettykings: 7:13am On Dec 12, 2021
Even the countries where these religions were founded are circumspect about religious mix up and dilution ,only in Yoruba land do you have diluted mixture of all religions being practiced by them forming the biggest mixed multitude in the history of mankind. This people are neither cold nor hot , as per how God himself treats mixed multitude , lukewarm people and people who has created their own form of Christianity where a pastor will serve a Muslim bigot and killer of Christians read book of revelations
Re: Religious Tolerance Among The Yorubas. Personal Experience by Tranquillity360: 7:14am On Dec 12, 2021
Afonja deceiving themselves with made up storiesgrin grin

My yoruba friend was denied marrying his girl simple because he is a Christian and the girl's family are muslim.

My guy almost kill himself,thank today that he is now Happyly married to a yoruba Christian.

1 Like

Re: Religious Tolerance Among The Yorubas. Personal Experience by helinues: 7:23am On Dec 12, 2021
Bantu10:

That is how skull mining starts

That should not be your headache or. If na so the skull mining story rampant in SW states, your people won't be flocking enmass to the region

4 Likes

Re: Religious Tolerance Among The Yorubas. Personal Experience by Bantu10: 7:25am On Dec 12, 2021
helinues:

That should not be your headache or. If na so the skull mining story rampant in SW states, your people won't be flocking enmass to the region

It is my headache coz u re mining skulls of human beings. The region u currently occupy is not urs. Dont worry, our fulani brothers re currently sending u guys to Dahomey where u originally came from

1 Like

Re: Religious Tolerance Among The Yorubas. Personal Experience by helinues: 7:27am On Dec 12, 2021
Bantu10:

It is my headache coz u re mining skulls of human beings. The region u currently occupy is not urs. Dont worry, our fulani brothers re currently sending u guys to Dahomey where u originally came from

Perhaps your people like the region like that hence Abc, Ekelechukwu bus won't stop trooping to SW.

When would your region be that attractive to outsiders? This year, next year or never?

3 Likes

Re: Religious Tolerance Among The Yorubas. Personal Experience by Nobody: 7:29am On Dec 12, 2021
Tranquillity360:
Afonja deceiving themselves with made up storiesgrin grin

My yoruba friend was denied marrying his girl simple because he is a Christian and the girl's family are muslim.

My guy almost kill himself,thank today that he is now Happyly married to a yoruba Christian.

What about Osu in Igbo land?
Even Christian with different church are not allowed to marry each other in the east

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Religious Tolerance Among The Yorubas. Personal Experience by Bantu10: 7:31am On Dec 12, 2021
helinues:

Perhaps your people like the region like that hence Abc, Ekelechukwu bus won't stop trooping to SW.

When would your region be that attractive to outsiders? This year, next year or never?

We are conquering ur region and u re here talking bullshit. When we buy up all ur lands and send u to Dahomey, that is when the reality will dawn on u.
Re: Religious Tolerance Among The Yorubas. Personal Experience by helinues: 7:31am On Dec 12, 2021
SlyDev:

What about Osu in Igbo land?
Even Christian with different church are not allowed to marry each other in the east

Why not ignore the guy with his fake story.

Just for them to accept the fact that Yoruba's are tolerance generally, you go see how many of them go carry the goal post from Yaba to Umu Eri junction

3 Likes

Re: Religious Tolerance Among The Yorubas. Personal Experience by Bantu10: 7:31am On Dec 12, 2021
helinues:

I didn't know it was this zombie that I quoted

1 Like

Re: Religious Tolerance Among The Yorubas. Personal Experience by helinues: 7:33am On Dec 12, 2021
Bantu10:

We are conquering ur region and u re here talking bullshit. When we buy up all ur lands and send u to Dahomey, that is when the reality will dawn on u.

See, let me tell you people.

You guys are not developers at all. The real developers don't only develop other places, they develop their place too.

And if we are to say you guys are contractors, contractors also don't only develop other places, they develop their place First.

It is only labourers that develop other places without developing theirs

4 Likes

Re: Religious Tolerance Among The Yorubas. Personal Experience by todaynewsreview: 7:34am On Dec 12, 2021
fergie001:
I can sight Most Revd Humphrey Olumakaiye and the former Dean, Ephraim Ademowo (Emeritus Archbishop of Lagos).

Onward Christian Soldiers....

Sure, he is.... God bless the heritage

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Only Nnamdi Kanu's Release Can Stop Sit-at-home Protest, Fr Mbaka Tells Soludo / Osun NURTW Chairman, Armed Thugs Arrested Amidst Gunshots In Osogbo / What If This Candidate Win The Presidential Election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.