Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,316 members, 7,943,779 topics. Date: Monday, 09 September 2024 at 01:07 AM

Sms Abuse And Violations - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Sms Abuse And Violations (484 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Sms Abuse And Violations by nwojie(m): 10:27am On Jun 13, 2011
Is it just me, or does it have anything to do with my mobile phone number? I recently noticed that the number of text messages that received from organizations, information services and other sms applications outnumber the number of text messages received from people I know to the ratio of 3:1 (for those of you using Starcomms the figure might be higher).

Spamming was exclusively referred to unsolicited mails received from unknown person, with the spate of text messages being received under the guise of sms advertising, it wouldn't be out of character to label them as spams.

During the last gubernatorial elections in April, a relation of mine was bombarded with so many text messages from the two most promising candidates of her state. The first message she got extolled the virtues of the sender while disparaging the character of his opponent. A few minutes later, his opponent replied discrediting the first sms while citing his achievements. The first sender was not as he sent another message proclaiming his good and blasting his opponent, this went on throughout the day.

At the beginning of the 'texting' exercise it seemed funny, having reputable people stoop so low as to employ Machiavellian tactics in order to outdo each other, however the humor was lost when the text messages became too rampant and a source of distraction.

It makes one ask if the country has any law regulating the use of text messages in mobile advertising. If any is in force, I think we should know so that those who abuse the priviledge can be put in check.

Sms advertising falls under Direct Electronic Marketing, and even though there's no perceived regulation of its activities in Nigeria, this is addressed as contained in the text below"

"Direct electronic marketing is any message sent by email, text, picture, video, voicemail or answer phone message that is aimed at selling goods or services ,  Read more http://sms4flash..com/2011/06/sms-abuse-and-violations.html

(1) (Reply)

London Sim And U.s 2 In 1 Sim For Sale At Reduced Price #15k Now / BUILD YOUR NON-FUEL/FUELESS GENERATOR / Multilinks 3g Broadband Moderm With 205 Hours For Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.