Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,730 members, 7,875,829 topics. Date: Saturday, 29 June 2024 at 10:35 PM

Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops - Career (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops (20718 Views)

Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops? Part 2 / Meet Emeka Abugu, A Blind Vulcanizer & Mechanic In Enugu / Murphy Juliana: Beautiful Lady Mechanic In Lagos (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops by emmanuelbrown26: 10:26pm On Dec 13, 2021
NwaNimo1:

Because what they studied has no market i naija..............diagnostic machine dey diagnose engine now!
Odogwu, first time u commented without those your funny funny meme
Re: Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops by litaninja(m): 12:36am On Dec 14, 2021
Engineers are not mechanics.
They are at 2 different cadres of the profession.

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops by showafrica(m): 1:30am On Dec 14, 2021
Awkabigboy:
I mean the mechanics in Nigeria are mainly the informal ones except the car companies which I'm not writing about here. I mean our everyday mechanics are not mechanical engineers by profession , then why are certified mechanical engineers shying away from this lucrative sector to give the people what they indeed require.

Because, the institution na scam
Re: Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops by reidkrugger(m): 1:30am On Dec 14, 2021
Biodun556:

They are trained to build not to repair. Go to vehicle manufacturing companies and assemblying plants to see them just like civil engineers who construct building not repairing building

And who told you that civil engineers don't repair bldgs? As a matter of fact, they do all sorts of things with your building materials to build and also repair, demolish, remodel etc.
Have you ever even heard of the word "underpinning"?
And people were clicking likes for him anyhow. Rubbish.
Re: Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops by omofela85(m): 3:19am On Dec 14, 2021
I told one of our IT guy that lectures will be busy teaching me dy/dx while the only d I know in automobile is drive.
Re: Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops by omofela85(m): 3:21am On Dec 14, 2021
Ifesinachi22:
They are simply scared of being called or seen as a mere "Mechanic"
you are right.
Re: Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops by miracleedwards: 4:21am On Dec 14, 2021
OP,
Please can you rephrase your question? are you talking about Automobile Engineers? which is also Different from an Automobile Technicians or you mean Engineering in the layman's language? it will also interest you to know that MECHANICAL ENGINEERING IS DIFFERENT FROM AUTOMOBILE ENGINEERING JUST AS LIKE AERONAUTIC ENGINEERING AND SOUND/ACOUSTIC ENGINEERING to the best of my knowledge Nigeria has few or non existing Automobile Engineering course in the Universities.
Thank you.
Re: Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops by Cousin9999: 5:18am On Dec 14, 2021
Because they don't want to be poor too.
Re: Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops by Sammez94: 5:24am On Dec 14, 2021
Anyways I am a mechanical engineering student.
Reading through the comments is actually hilarious...

1. Mechanical Engineering is extremely wide. Not all mechanical engineers focus on automobile. Trust me, the list of department under mech is endless

2. Mechanical Engineering, I mean all departments including automobile is like a drug. When you reach the top of a pursuit, you want more and more like you reach for a new high. Check through LinkedIn, the most of them have more and more experience with top and top companies. None setttles not even for the large pay

3. Lol... They only learn theory... Nigga speak for yourself. Automobile is a department on its own in some uni and those that don't have automobile as a whole dept have courses to that effect. Yes, we learn theories in class... we Get the practical knowledge in workshop both in school and outside and all these are requirements for the bachelor degree.

4. They don't want to be stigmatized.
Stigmatized? Most of us don't really care about the stigma like I said it's like a high and those that really care stay in academics and further their education. No issue with that... It's the same reason some individual will choose to be employees rather than business owners

5. Come to think of it, someone said it earlier not sure if it's the op, we need more technicalities and not more workforce just like the country needs a better ways of improving farming techniques rather than more farmers. The technicalities I mean here is ways we can improve automobile components not the repair services.. we already have enough workforce doing that effectively.
Improvement and technicalities like having reinforced brake that don't wear out easily.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops by Microwhy: 7:23am On Dec 14, 2021
Biodun556:

They are trained to build not to repair. Go to vehicle manufacturing companies and assemblying plants to see them just like civil engineers who construct building not repairing building
Don't mind the slowpokes

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops by Grandlord: 8:38am On Dec 14, 2021
Damn! Never seen a thread filled with so many ignorant and illiterate commenters. This is not good for my mental health grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops by omojeesu(m): 10:05am On Dec 14, 2021
Awkabigboy:
I mean the mechanics in Nigeria are mainly the informal ones except the car companies which I'm not writing about here. I mean our everyday mechanics are not mechanical engineers by profession , then why are certified mechanical engineers shying away from this lucrative sector to give the people what they indeed require.

Trained caterers want to work in hotels and institutions kitchens instead of having modern bukateria, etc. Mamaput didn't go to school of catering.

Graduates in BizAdmin, BizMgt want salary while others without these degrees open Business Centers.
Re: Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops by JOHNBULLZZ: 1:29pm On Dec 14, 2021
oluwaseyi1759:
Do you think they know the practical aspect well... Hardly will you see a Professor of mechanical engineering that can remove and fix a Trailer's Tyre. They just work in companies and get paid.
Yes. They are not meant to.

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops by lagonovo: 3:07pm On Dec 14, 2021
Nigerian educated illiterates, Mechanical Engineers are NOT trained to repair cars, not in Nigeria, not in the UK, not in USA, not in Canada, not in Australia and you can go on and on. A degree in Mechanical Engineering has nothing to do with repairing cars. Your personal or community misconception or expectations about graduate engineers won't change that simple fact. Damn! Nigerians get problem.

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops by AlphaT1(m): 3:17pm On Dec 14, 2021
Awkabigboy:

You're an ignorant foool, getat with your stupidity
Of course, that's all you have to offer: boorish and loutish! You think Mech Eng. is same as trading in Ariaria market....Go to school and learn, mba dem no go gree, now see the result/consequence/effect.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops by AlphaT1(m): 3:19pm On Dec 14, 2021
lagonovo:
Nigerian educated illiterates, Mechanical Engineers are NOT trained to repair cars, not in Nigerian, not in the UK, not in USA, not in Canada, not in Australia and you can go on and on. A degree in Mechanical Engineering has nothing to do with repairing cars. Your personal or community misconception or expectations about graduate engineers won't change that simple fact. Damn! Nigerians get problem.
Leave that @Awkabigboy ignorant thug. He thinks Mech Eng. is same as Ariaria market.

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops by Awkabigboy: 4:48pm On Dec 14, 2021
lagonovo:
Nigerian educated illiterates, Mechanical Engineers are NOT trained to repair cars, not in Nigerian, not in the UK, not in USA, not in Canada, not in Australia and you can go on and on. A degree in Mechanical Engineering has nothing to do with repairing cars. Your personal or community misconception or expectations about graduate engineers won't change that simple fact. Damn! Nigerians get problem.
Foool
Re: Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops by GraceEquilog: 5:08pm On Dec 14, 2021
Kick starts your career in this coming year by acquiring a skill that not only provides continuous income but put you at an advantage in the diaspora by becoming a certified heavy machine operator at EQUILOG Technical Service.

A heavy equipment operator operates equipment used in engineering and construction projects. This operator can be seen working in civil engineering firms, manufacturing and agricultural industry, seaports, oil and gas etc. Typically, only skilled workers may operate heavy equipment, and there is specialized training for learning to use heavy equipment.
Equilog Technical Service is an avenue for you to expand your skill set and open new career opportunities. We provide trainings in heavy machine operation in the followings; Crane, Forklift, Excavator, Pay-loader, Bulldozer, Reach Stacker, Swamp buggy among others.

Whether you are a novice looking to get started or an experienced driver in need of a refresher, then we have the right courses for you!

Why train with us?

• This program provides the right combination of basic operation tips that will help you work smart and get the job done. you learn in an environment that is consistent with industry standards and build skills you need to meet the needs of the employers.

• We offer a global recognized certificate which increases your chances of landing a good job position in multinational companies, in Nigeria, New Zealand, Australia and the US

• Job assistance and recommendation

• Internship

Register now, for the oncoming batch with 5(k) thousand naira only while the training fee depends on the machine of your desire.
For more info on our Trainings please contact us; info@equilogroup.com
Call or What’s App; 08061333224
Visit any of the offices for more;
Royal Office Building KM 25 Lekki Epe Expressway Opposite Fidelity Bank Ajiwe Ajah.
Exponential Hub, 1A Akin Osiyemi street, off Allen Avenue Ikeja, Lagos.

Re: Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops by lagonovo: 6:38pm On Dec 14, 2021
To those seeking fact and knowledge, here is a typical Mechanical Engineering core syllabus in an American university (with slight differences here and there, and similar to what you have in Nigerian universities). Emphasis is on engineering science, design and modeling - if you understand what those mean:

Required Courses
ME 201 - Thermodynamics
ME 222 - Strength of Materials
ME 280 - Engineering Graphic Communication
ME 300 - Professional Issues in Mechanical Engineering
ME 332 - Fluid Mechanics
ME 361 - Dynamics
ME 371 - Mechanical Design I
ME 391 - Mechanical Engineering Analysis
ME 410 - Heat Transfer
ME 412 - Heat Transfer Lab
ME 416 - Computer Assisted Design of Thermo Systems
ME 451 - Control Systems
ME 461 - Vibrations
ME 471 - Mechanical Design II
ME 481 - Mechanical Engineering Design Projects

Elective Courses
ME 285 - Computer Aided Design Tools
ME 372 - Machine Tool Laboratory
ME 417 - Design of Alternative Energy Systems
ME 422 - Introduction to Combustion
ME 423 - Intermediate Mechanics of Deformable Solids
ME 425 - Experimental Mechanics
ME 426 - Introduction to Composite Materials
ME 440 - Aerospace Engineering Fundamentals
ME 442 - Turbomachinery
ME 444 - Automotive Engines
ME 445 - Automotive Powertrain Design
ME 456 - Mechatronics System Design
ME 464 - Intermediate Dynamics
ME 465 - Computer Aided Optimal Design
ME 475 - Computer Aided Design of Structures
ME 477 - Manufacturing Processes
ME 478 - Product Development
ME 489 - Technical Communications for Engineers
ME 494 - Biofluid Mechanics and Heat Transfer
ME 495 - Tissue Mechanics
ME 497 - Biomechanical Design

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops by lagonovo: 6:53pm On Dec 14, 2021
Here is a sample overview of a course in Automotive Engines which is often an elective in a Mechanical Engineering program (Alongside another elective, Automotive Powertrain Design, this is about the closest you would get to knowing the background science and engineering design behind automotive engines as a graduate of Mechanical Engineering), a 3-unit elective course:

Course: ME 444 Automotive Engines

Required or elective: Elective

Course (catalog) description:
Design and development of internal and external combustion engines for vehicular propulsion.

Prerequisite(s) (ME 410 or concurrently)

Textbook(s) and/or other required material
Introduction to Internal Combustion Engines, Third Edition Society of Automotive Engineers
Author: Richard Stone

Class/Lab schedule:
Total Credits: 3 Lecture/Laboratory/Discussion Hours: 3/0/0

Topics covered
a. Power Cycle Thermodynamics, Mixtures and Solutions
b. Power Plants for Automobiles
c. Piston Engine Components and Electronic Controls
d. Engine Tribology (Friction, Lubrication and Wear)
e. Engine Modeling
f. Engine Vibration and Balance
g. Fuels and Combustion
h. Engine Exhaust Emissions
k. Engine Manufacturing

Course learning objectives

1.1 Reciprocating Engine fundamentals (major topic). Students have the ability to identify reciprocating engine components including crankshafts, rods, pistons, camshafts, ring pack cylinder heads, intake exhaust manifolds, valve train, fueling system and ignition system. Demonstrate knowledge of the basic design parameters of each of these elements.

1.2 Cycle Analysis. Students can demonstrate knowledge of detail of Otto and Diesel, two and four stroke cycles. Specific emphasis on thermodynamic descriptions of airstandard cycles and knowledge of the differences, which exist between air-standard and real cycles, is discussed. Performance/emission tradeoffs between different engine types.

1.3 Modeling of Engine Thermal-Fluid/Mechanical Processes. Students exhibit a knowledge of the alternatives available to study the detailed processes occurring in an I.C. engine including one-dimensional models and multi-dimensional models of manifold events, in-cylinder processes, turbulence modeling and cylinder-kit analysis (piston, rod, pistons) and vibration analysis.

1.4 Engine Selection (including hybrid concepts), Sizing, Design to Application and Diagnostics. Students exhibit knowledge of functions that influence engine performance including speed, torque, displacement, imep, bmep, bsfc and power-toweight ratio.

1.5 Environmental considerations and conventional power plant alternatives including emissions, hybrid electric/hydraulic vehicles and fuel cells. Students exhibit knowledge of automotive emissions, emission control system, EPA regulatory system including highway and urban test cycles, global conservation issues and petroleum economics. Significant understanding of current catalytic converter systems and the engine controls associate with those systems. Well-to-wheel efficiency concept is examined.

Relationship of course to ME program outcomes

The following measurement standard is used to evaluate the relationship between the course outcomes and the educational-program outcomes:

3 = Strong Emphasis, 2 = Some Emphasis, 1 = Little or No Emphasis.

(a) an ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering—3
(b) an ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data—1
(c) an ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability—2
(d) an ability to function on multidisciplinary teams—1
(e) an ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems—1
(f) an understanding of professional and ethical responsibility—2
(g) an ability to communicate effectively—1
(h) the broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context —1
(i) a recognition of the need for and the ability to engage in life-long learning—1
(j) a knowledge of contemporary issues—1
(k) an ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice—2
(l) application of advanced mathematics—1
(m) design, build, and test in mechanical systems area—1
(n) design, build, and test in thermal/fluids area—1
(o) capstone design experience—1

Contribution to professional component:
75% Engineering Science, 25% Engineering Design

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops by Gabs7(m): 7:40pm On Dec 14, 2021
Biodun556:

Technicians repair engineers build.

We should review our curriculum to accommodate the two.

It may be difficult to repair something not built by you even the roadside mechanics specalized on a type of vehicle. Some specialized on Japanese cars, while some will tell you they only repair Honda.

I have seen a mechanic that only repair vehicle breaks.

Some are based on truck alone. We should stop under rating our mechanical engineers

People come here to really expose their ignorance in matters they claim to know a thing or two about.

They feel because the nomenclature says "mechanic-al" then automatically mechanical engineering graduates should have or work professionally in auto mechanic workshops.

There is a difference between engineering, technology and, science! Those you refer to as car mechanics are often technicians who have learned their art through formal technical/University education or aprrenticeship.

Mechanical engineering encompasses the whole extensive field of design, building and maintenance of mechanical devices or technical structures. This is why the refer to mechanical engineering as the mother of all engineering disciplines because it is curriculum constituted in such a way that it gives you an idea on all other things technical; mechanical, etc.

It sounds pretty ludicrous when people come and say mechanical engineers should work predominantly or primarily as mechanics. They blindly fail to realize that being a car mechanic is just one corner of a mechanical engineering graduate's many options of choice engagement; and even secondary, because auto mechanics is mainly the work of auto technicians, not mechanical engineers. Yes, they can function well in that area of specialty should the wish to, but that isn't a main area of focus for mechanical engineering graduates.

Mechanical engineering is a very diverse and broad professional discipline to the extent that one only laughs when people methodically try to shame proud engineering graduates by systematically wanting to limit them to auto workshops alone.

There is hardly any area of career engagement that a mechanical engineer with his acquired technical acumen can not function in. Name it! Only quite a few, by virtue of their strict professionalism stand out. This is one of the core reasons why most universities abroad encourage and fund, specially, STEM courses.

I can go on and on and on, but the bottom line is that people should learn to understand the gravity of a matter before lending their deplorable pseudo opinions.

Ignore typos...

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops by BluntCrazeMan: 11:20am On Dec 16, 2021
Awkabigboy:

While they were still in the higher institution, they were never trained to be self-employed.
They were only taught to have hopes of working in big multi-nationals.
Re: Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops by Jokerman(m): 12:16pm On Dec 16, 2021
I no blame anyone here pass COREN and NSE
Re: Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops by Roysnickz: 12:00pm On Feb 13, 2022
lagonovo:
Nigerian educated illiterates, Mechanical Engineers are NOT trained to repair cars, not in Nigeria, not in the UK, not in USA, not in Canada, not in Australia and you can go on and on. A degree in Mechanical Engineering has nothing to do with repairing cars. Your personal or community misconception or expectations about graduate engineers won't change that simple fact. Damn! Nigerians get problem.
You have time to argue with Nigerian educated illiterates. A simple check on google will reveal the difference between a Mechanical Engineer and a mechanic technician but no, Nigerian educated illiterates will not do that.
Come to think of it, I have seen a lot of foreigners/foreign trained mechanical engineers in Nigeria but I have seen none that fix his/her car.
I met a German Professor of mechanical engineering, teaching in a Nigerian university with his German wife (though the wife a mechanical engineering technologist). The couple still take their cars to the roadside mechanics for servicing. Why? They where not trained for that.
So, it's not a Nigerian thing. Mechanical Engineers all over the world are not trained to be fixing broke down cars. Perhaps that explain why the European Professors of mechanical engineering does not fix cars; the American Professors of mechanical engineering does not service cars; the Asian Professors of mechanical engineering are not into car repairing.
Re: Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops by ICCtestimony(m): 4:47pm On Jul 05, 2022
ICCtestimony:
To answer your questions. Try to know that mechanical engineering student are based on the following important department: manufacturing engineering which can produce any thing in existence, management engineering which is the spirit of engineering technology ( this part is the real success that engineering technology archive success story, from production analysis to cost to packaging, finishing and many more of management and laws of the land and also law that regularise every product), and finally maintenance engineering which is the part you are referring to as mechanic and any thing concerning replacement or corrections or renewal or rebuilding. They are under maintenance engineering. Nigeria with their thinking faculty believe that mechanical engineering is all about mechanic mentality.
Re: Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops by Debangis20(m): 4:57pm On Aug 08, 2022
oluwaseyi1759:
Do you think they know the practical aspect well... Hardly will you see a Professor of mechanical engineering that can remove and fix a Trailer's Tyre. They just work in companies and get paid.
grin
oluwaseyi1759:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

What Is The Way Forward For A Fresh Graduate? / Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? / Nine Directors Fail Re-sit Exam For Four Perm Sec Seats

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.