Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,017 members, 7,915,946 topics. Date: Friday, 09 August 2024 at 12:55 PM

Wetin You No Know Big Pass You - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Wetin You No Know Big Pass You (357 Views)

Nairalanader Starts His Own Podcast Called - Wetin Dey Sup Podcast / Bini People Wetin Be This (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Wetin You No Know Big Pass You by ElBenny(m): 6:04pm On Dec 13, 2021
I remember clearly sometime in February this year, I was invited by my friend, Josh, to partake in a rehearsal for a stage play performance which would take place later that month.

I honoured the invitation and headed to the rehearsal venue from work.

Prior to my arrival, Josh called to inform me that I would find him in another section of the building where a little birthday get-together was ongoing for a female associate of his.

He invited me to come join in the fun before the arrival of the other actors, since we were about an hour away from the scheduled time.

I arrived the party. The celebrant was unknown to me. It appeared to be a closed gathering between a few selected persons, and as an (illegal) invitee, I was the odd one out.

The only familiar face was that of Josh who invited me over to the party.

The table was filled with small chops, soft drinks, fruits, candies, and of course, an attractive cake that was positioned right in front of the celebrant.

I knew the celebrant and other invitees didn't know me, except of course Josh who was seated by my right.

But I was determined to neither act cowardly nor without a self esteem.

The time came for people to say something (nice) about the celebrant.

I listened ardently and clapped after each person made a speech in honour of the celebrant.

All the speeches were filled with kind words that left the celebrant blushing and “awwwwning.”

As I watched as everyone took turns to say something, I felt triggered to join the bandwagon even though I had nothing to say.

My pride didn't let me stay silent and become a spectator. I didn't want to pass some kinda vibes in the room that I was a stranger and didn't know the celebrant.

So when the make-shift MC asked if there was anyone else who wanted to say something about the celebrant, I threw my right hand up into the air.

I stood up confidently with a touch of ego and started with a false self esteem;

“Ify is caring, loving and jovial. I've known her for quite a short time, but I can testify that she's a go-getter and very passionate at what she does....”

At that point, she looked at me with a lot of question marks filled in her impressed eyes. I didn't let it bother or sway me away.

I initially opted to end the speech with a birthday wish, but I was motivated to go an extra mile and prove a point. So I continued with a daring confidence;

“....just like her lovely husband, Ify is intellectually sound and strong.”

I noticed few raised eyebrows around me, but I was determined to end such a powerful speech as it pleased me;

“....I just want to say that May God bless and increase you today and every day. Amen. Happy Birthday.”

A round of applause followed as I took my seat with pride. I proceeded to catch a handful of edibles on the table and ate it as though I had just earned the right to.

To crown it all up, the celebrant's business supervisor was asked to conclude the wishes.

After about 2 minutes of wishes and prayers from him, he ended by saying;

“My prayer for you is that God will give you the best partner for a husband...”

This was followed by a thunderous "Amen" from the celebrant and a good number of those present.

Immediately,

I opened my eyes in disgust.

My world came crashing down.

Shame held unto me with a tight grip.

I fled the venue before the prayer ended and spent the rest of the day consoling my self.

I received an SMS from my friend josh later that night;

“BRO, WETIN YOU NO KNOW BIG PASS YOU.”

--------------------------------
©EL-Benny
13-12-2021
5:40pm

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Efunsetan Aniwura: 20 Amazing Historical Facts About A Legend / . / Igbo Speaking Community Ikotun/ Igando Chapter On Sunday 11th, Mark Their End Of

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.