Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,522 members, 7,944,531 topics. Date: Monday, 09 September 2024 at 06:09 PM

Apply For 2022/2023 PTDF Overseas Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme - Education (49) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Apply For 2022/2023 PTDF Overseas Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme (320641 Views)

Apply For 2024/2025 PTDF Overseas Scholarship Scheme / Apply For 2023/2024 PTDF Overseas Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme / 2020 PTDF Overseas Scholarship In France, Germany, China And Malaysia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) ... (119) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Apply For 2022/2023 PTDF Overseas Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme by Nobody: 6:38pm On May 28, 2022
joviegghead:

I though I was the only one who noticed. grin

Lol I guess I should be flattered. I still don't understand why I'm the one you people keep attacking when I'm not the instigator.

1 Like

Re: Apply For 2022/2023 PTDF Overseas Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme by joviegghead: 6:38pm On May 28, 2022
XtraSmooth404:

You wanna give PTDF marking scheme now? grin grin

Who told you they've not tried out the aptitude tests option in the past?
The aptitude test would have been so better.

I wish it was done first. After which, those who performed exceptionally well should be invited for the interview, rather than packing all of us like sardine.

1 Like

Re: Apply For 2022/2023 PTDF Overseas Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme by Nobody: 6:39pm On May 28, 2022
joviegghead:

The aptitude test would have been so better.

I wish it was done first. After which, those who performed exceptionally well should be invited for the interview, rather than packing all of us like sardine.

Aptitude tests in Nigeria are extremely dangerous. All forms of formal exams are dangerous in Nigeria. There's a reason why they switched away from that format.

2 Likes

Re: Apply For 2022/2023 PTDF Overseas Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme by joviegghead: 6:39pm On May 28, 2022
Liebermann:

Lol I guess I should be flattered. I still don't understand why I'm the one you people keep attacking when I'm not the instigator.
Actually, I was kinda impressed.
Where are you from and where did you school? Just curious..

Btw, no one is attacking you.
Re: Apply For 2022/2023 PTDF Overseas Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme by joviegghead: 6:40pm On May 28, 2022
Liebermann:

Aptitude tests in Nigeria are extremely dangerous. All forms of formal exams are dangerous in Nigeria. There's a reason why they switched away from that format.
Dangerous? Come one.. There's nothing dangerous about them. Except you'll like to share..
Re: Apply For 2022/2023 PTDF Overseas Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme by Nobody: 6:44pm On May 28, 2022
joviegghead:

Dangerous? Come one.. There's s nothing dangerous about them. Except you'll like to share..

You think the current process is unfair, try writing an exam against people with all the answers.
Re: Apply For 2022/2023 PTDF Overseas Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme by joviegghead: 6:45pm On May 28, 2022
Liebermann:

You think the current process is unfair, try writing an exam against people with all the answers.
Hmmm... Wow... Don't know about that one...
Re: Apply For 2022/2023 PTDF Overseas Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme by joviegghead: 6:47pm On May 28, 2022
Please when are physical inverviews gonna end?
I know the one at Ibadan ends today...
Re: Apply For 2022/2023 PTDF Overseas Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme by Nobody: 6:51pm On May 28, 2022
joviegghead:
Please when are physical inverviews gonna end?
I know the one at Ibadan ends today...
June 10th is the last date. Hopefully the final list should be out before the end of July.
Re: Apply For 2022/2023 PTDF Overseas Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme by athorello(m): 7:09pm On May 28, 2022
PTDF Matters, eh...
Re: Apply For 2022/2023 PTDF Overseas Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme by Crytoguy101: 7:41pm On May 28, 2022
Please who has gotten admission in France o?
Re: Apply For 2022/2023 PTDF Overseas Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme by sambanjo2000: 10:15pm On May 28, 2022
My work experience relates with my research proposal. I have worked for 10 years. Do I need to inform them of my work experience?
Re: Apply For 2022/2023 PTDF Overseas Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme by tolaade1960: 10:17pm On May 28, 2022
Honestly, they need to look at PTDF OSS scholarship scheme. It's purpose not achieved.
How do you know your performance against other candidates?

The courses that are not available in Nigeria universities, should be sponsored abroad.

drach:
Are ptdf scholars bonded to return to nigeria after studies?
Re: Apply For 2022/2023 PTDF Overseas Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme by landkay: 10:33pm On May 28, 2022
Thanks received earlier today too.

ffrancis:
i just received my link.. please reconfirm yours
Re: Apply For 2022/2023 PTDF Overseas Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme by btsnm(m): 10:54pm On May 28, 2022
For those concerned about the online interviews, I would advise you pick your items and go to the nearest center and have yours. A man in front of me was advised to call his son to physically come for the interview after the man showed them his son's application and complained that the son couldn't attend the online process.

1 Like

Re: Apply For 2022/2023 PTDF Overseas Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme by nupeman: 11:35pm On May 28, 2022
What does that even mean "individuals more deserving" nobody is more deserving than another, as long as you meet the stipulated requirements. Each state gets represented equally, oil producing states get more which is fair.
joviegghead:

It's okay to assume we have a system like ptdf that 'plays by the rules'. If that's how you view it, no problem.

This isn't about having a defeatist mentality btw. It's just that the quota system is faulty, even if strictly followed. Why? Because there are so many individuals more deserving, but won't be selected. That's why we are hammering on having hope and stick to praying. That's a positive mentality.

Don't misinterpret things, okay?

1 Like

Re: Apply For 2022/2023 PTDF Overseas Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme by XtraSmooth404: 11:49pm On May 28, 2022
tolaade1960:
Honestly, they need to look at PTDF OSS scholarship scheme. It's purpose not achieved.
How do you know your performance against other candidates?

The courses that are not available in Nigeria universities, should be sponsored abroad.

It's kinda easy to tell where you'll lose points in the marking scheme. Also, if you can get the full points for the constant factors, you only need to focus on the variables.

Constant factors:

O'Level: 5 distinctions in English, mathematics, and any other 3 subjects. Full points.

BSc: First class. Full points.

MSc: Distinctions. Full points.

Variable factors:
Publication:
Professional membership:
Awards: (used to be rated but not anymore)
Dress code:
SoP/Research proposal:
Confidence/interview performance:

You can't change the constant factors, but if you channel the efforts on the variables to clinch the full points, you can measure your success rate.

Mind you,

No state is less competitive, we're talking about best six candidates at most. Compare that with the crowd interviewed, you'll understand. You'd be surprised at the portfolio of persons from your states.

Lastly, PTDF is one out of many scholarships you can attempt. Just do your best and wait for the outcome.

3 Likes

Re: Apply For 2022/2023 PTDF Overseas Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme by Nobody: 1:44am On May 29, 2022
XtraSmooth404:

It's kinda easy to tell where you'll lose points in the marking scheme. Also, if you can get the full points for the constant factors, you only need to focus on the variables.

Constant factors:

O'Level: 5 distinctions in English, mathematics, and any other 3 subjects. Full points.

BSc: First class. Full points.

MSc: Distinctions. Full points.

Variable factors:
Publication:
Professional membership:
Awards: (used to be rated but not anymore)
Dress code:
SoP/Research proposal:
Confidence/interview performance:

You can't change the constant factors, but if you channel the efforts on the variables to clinch the full points, you can measure your success rate.

Mind you,

No state is less competitive, we're talking about best six candidates at most. Compare that with the crowd interviewed, you'll understand. You'd be surprised at the portfolio of persons from your states.

Lastly, PTDF is one out of many scholarships you can attempt. Just do your best and wait for the outcome.

Nice observation and write-up bro.

But the problem now is that in some venues, they didn't even ask for publications and membership. Some centres only used just 2 minutes.

Moreover, some of those who chose virtual were not attended to as interviewers didnt show up or perhaps interviewers came very late.
Many virtual applicants were not asked to show their credentials.

Why bring crowds when you can't interview them well. Shortlist to the bare minimum.

It should be noted that in some centres, they asked for publications, membership and employment letter confirmation for work experience (especially lecturers or working in the relevant sector). Some interviews lasted more than 10 mins n some centres.

There is a lack of consistency and this has resulted to flaws.

The idea of an exam would have been better for MSC due to the high population.

Interview and publications are great for PhD as it tests their research prowess.

The interview is just full of luck and not competence anymore. The best won't win due to this.

Life isn't fair after all.

Good luck everyone.

6 Likes

Re: Apply For 2022/2023 PTDF Overseas Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme by Nobody: 3:07am On May 29, 2022
Yea....they will always tell u to come back judging by the content of your award letter..... but I rem when the team came to my schl during my programme, they said you guys should not come back to Nigeria if u have the opportunity.... that Nigeria is not smiling o....

No jokes.

I was shocked myself to hear it from them
Liebermann:

This is something past scholars should endeavor to answer but I don't think there's such a clause and even if there is, it's not really enforced.
Re: Apply For 2022/2023 PTDF Overseas Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme by joviegghead: 3:24am On May 29, 2022
hosey:

But the problem now is that in some venues, they didn't even ask for publications and membership. Some centres only used just 2 minutes.

Moreover, some of those who chose virtual were not attended to as interviewers didnt show up or perhaps interviewers came very late.

Why bring crowds when you can't interview them well. Shortlist to the bare minimum.

It should be noted that in some centres, they asked for publications, membership and employment letter confirmation for work experience (especially lecturers or working in the relevant sector). Some interviews lasted more than 10 mins n some centres.

Interview and publications are great for PhD as it tests their research prowess.

The interview is just full of luck and not competence anymore. The best won't win due to this.

Good luck everyone.

Nice one.. Especially at the bolded...
Re: Apply For 2022/2023 PTDF Overseas Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme by YhemmyBloom(m): 4:00am On May 29, 2022
Its okay but i dont think there is a need.. However the class of grade bro, All we need now is the God factor to seal up our efforts wink i guess some peeps were also asked same question, i think.. so no shakes.
Melst:

Sorry to intrude, are you 1 or 2.1
Re: Apply For 2022/2023 PTDF Overseas Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme by mrphysics(m): 5:27am On May 29, 2022
Liebermann:

Maybe mrphysics or dmainman can come in.

Well, the only problem with PTDF scholarship is that the 'country' doesn't get much value for investment. So it becomes just much of an easy way to leave the country. For the avoidance of doubt, there is a clause of returning to the country upon completion of studies but the said clause is not compulsory nor enforced. Infact they'd recommend you don't even come back knowing they don't have anything for you upon your return. PTDF will tell you that the only reason to stay back after your studies is if you get a PhD or Work, but that is not true.

So scholars decides their next fate after their studies. For me, I think it's just about spending a budget, i.e. every year, they get a budget for oversea scholarship for a certain number of people from every state. So once, your budget money for 2 (MSC) or 3 (PhD) scholarship is exhausted, then you are on your own.

This isn't good, because the country spend huge money on scholars. For a UK scholar, each of them gets a budgetary expenses of over N30m and at the end the country can't recall them and fix them in the oil and gas sector and improve their knowledge and human resources.

Turkey does the same thing, they fund you until PhD, given the best of scholarship funding but then upon completion, you must return to work for the government for atleast 5 years. Why can't PTDF do the same, the only answer is the quota system in employment, the evidence of a failed country.

I have seen scholars remain behind doing menial jobs because coming back to the country isn't even an option as they have nothing doing when they come back. So they prefer to do some of the worst jobs out there while here in Nigeria, they could be an asset in the improvement of any sector they are into.

9 Likes

Re: Apply For 2022/2023 PTDF Overseas Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme by mrphysics(m): 5:55am On May 29, 2022
hosey:

Good luck everyone.

The PTDF scholarship has it's weakness but what you mentioned there isn't part of it in my opinion. Also, I don't know your definition of 'the best' when you said they won't win. It's people with this view of yours that end up getting the scholarship.

The current assessment process is the best. I wonder how writing an exam would lead to the selection of the 'best' candidate when you can either assess them with questions that are not useful in the MSC or PhD studies. So the fund should continue with this form of assessment in my opinion.

Physical or Virtual oral interviews varies. In the last 7 months of my return, I have had to sit in an interview, assessing people, atleast I have interviewed 50 persons and I can tell you that each interview brings it's unique experience. When I went for my MSc interview, we didn't waste much time, they asked their questions, I tried to convince them and left. Like I posited few pages ago, applicants are expected to try to lead the interview. Be the one to direct it and then you will have a good experience.

I have attended even PhD interviews, virtual ones, I even get one on Monday and there's nothing different. It's all about trying to convince people and scoring points.

For publication, schools in Nigeria are encouraged to do useful projects that continue the current copy and paste they do in some B.Sc projects. My set and the ones that followed, B.Sc projects are published. I published mine albeit in an African Journal. I have seen undergraduate publications from University of Ibadan and University of Lagos. I think it's very fair to judge with this metrics for a master or PhD project. In Europe, no one expects you to have a publication even after a masters program, but this is because of their thesis method where its done in the industry with proof of real work done. However, when you publish you project, it's an added advantage to anything. On May 18, my thesis was accepted and presented in a conference. It will soon come out in their publications and I have shared with some professors and I can tell you, it speaks well of you. Again, I hold that it's not bad to add it in a metrics for a PhD studies.

For experience, PTDF realized that some good people don't get first class or even 2:1, so in other to accommodate even 3rd class people with exceptional experience, they started to ask for work experience in their assessment and this depends on the applicant and interviewer. For me, I was asked if I am employed and what I do at work. And some times, these 2:1 or 2:2 people when given go on to change the narratives of their undergraduate.

Membership of a professional body is good too but not necessary. The point is, one gets more experienced when they belong to a professional body but maybe not in Nigeria where no professional body seem to be working or even adding value other than collecting membership fee and renewal of license.

For me I think we should all have open mind. PTDF is the easiest scholarship to get. For me, I lost hope in Nigeria, that I don't even apply for government job or anything. I have never applied for any government job or programme. Not one until PTDF. And I applied to PTDF because their application if very easy. After I couldn't complete the difficult MEXT Japan Scholarship and submit at their embassy since I wasn't leaving in Abuja or Lagos then, I had everything with me, so when the PTDF thread popped on nairaland front page, I clicked the link and decided to see where it leads to. In few minutes, I submitted my application and that was the easiest scholarship application format anywhere. The interview list came out and I got an email, went for the interview and was even surprised to be shortlisted.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Apply For 2022/2023 PTDF Overseas Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme by mrphysics(m): 6:01am On May 29, 2022
I just realized I have written something very lengthy, please ignore the errors.

If you want to have a good PTDF interview experience and you can make it to Abuja, use the centre. Other centres are in universities with Nigerian lecturers. They will ask you irrelevant questions or assess you with how happy they are on that day. When they see a topic that's closer to what they know, they will grill you until you become confused just because they want to show they know the topic. So I often avoid University Centres.

In Abuja, you will meet people who are doing well grin grin grin their life is good, they gain nothing by bringing you down. Just do your best and they will do their too. Some of other are northerners who isn't concerned much about you. So speak nicely and you have convinced them.

So guys goodluck. I was also shortlisted for PhD interview and I don't know how my experience would be but then whatever happens, I am open minded. Goodluck to everyone and God's Grace.

10 Likes

Re: Apply For 2022/2023 PTDF Overseas Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme by linsk(m): 6:09am On May 29, 2022
Please has anyone been invited for the interview at bauchi center? Av not gotten the invite and I selected bauchi 4 interview
Re: Apply For 2022/2023 PTDF Overseas Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme by XtraSmooth404: 6:40am On May 29, 2022
hosey:

Good luck everyone.

They probably needed to create more work for themselves. This translates to more daily allowances, hotel flexing, etc. 3 weeks interview schedule is too long if we're being serious. They could have shortlisted top 50 from each state which is like total of 1850 and wrap it up in a week.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Apply For 2022/2023 PTDF Overseas Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme by Nobody: 7:02am On May 29, 2022
mrphysics:

Well, the only problem with PTDF scholarship is that the 'country' doesn't get much value for investment. So it becomes just much of an easy way to leave the country. For the avoidance of doubt, there is a clause of returning to the country upon completion of studies but the said clause is not compulsory nor enforced. Infact they'd recommend you don't even come back knowing they don't have anything for you upon your return. PTDF will tell you that the only reason to stay back after your studies is if you get a PhD or Work, but that is not true.

So scholars decides their next fate after their studies. For me, I think it's just about spending a budget, i.e. every year, they get a budget for oversea scholarship for a certain number of people from every state. So once, your budget money for 2 (MSC) or 3 (PhD) scholarship is exhausted, then you are on your own.

This isn't good, because the country spend huge money on scholars. For a UK scholar, each of them gets a budgetary expenses of over N30m and at the end the country can't recall them and fix them in the oil and gas sector and improve their knowledge and human resources.

Turkey does the same thing, they fund you until PhD, given the best of scholarship funding but then upon completion, you must return to work for the government for atleast 5 years. Why can't PTDF do the same, the only answer is the quota system in employment, the evidence of a failed country.

I have seen scholars remain behind doing menial jobs because coming back to the country isn't even an option as they have nothing doing when they come back. So they prefer to do some of the worst jobs out there while here in Nigeria, they could be an asset in the improvement of any sector they are into.

Always nice of you to contribute. I'm also a fan of the current selection process. Like I mentioned earlier, exams in Nigeria can be very shady. I remember you saying you never expected to be selected after your interview and yet you were so it's always encouraging to hear.

But I don't understand how quota system is your explanation for why they don't offer employment to past scholars If quota system was used for the selection process to begin with and extrapolating it to employment doesn't offset it. PTDF doesn't have the capacity to singlehandedly hire every single scholar and it's difficult to get such solidarity with other parastatals so they can consistently find a space for everyone.

This is why the interview is important because I believe they look for intangibles that support a persons commitment and drive towards developing the country. This doesn't exclusively happen through the government. I will also add that If you intend to get this scholarship and proceed to PhD and the only career path you see for yourself is through the Nigerian government your priorities are misplaced.

Congrats on being shortlisted for the PhD scheme. I hope you stick around and continue to contribute because your knowledge is much appreciated and past scholars are very inactive here. And also try debunking the defeatist misconceptions people have here that somehow northerners are going to steal all their spots or about the unfairness of the process. After all you're a testament to it's transparency and effectiveness.

2 Likes

Re: Apply For 2022/2023 PTDF Overseas Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme by FatimaMK: 7:04am On May 29, 2022
Yes sir. Have done my interview there last week Thursday. Interview at the center ended Friday.
linsk:
Please has anyone been invited for the interview at bauchi center? Av not gotten the invite and I selected bauchi 4 interview
Re: Apply For 2022/2023 PTDF Overseas Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme by tolaade1960: 7:11am On May 29, 2022
You are very correct. The timing of interview is too long.

They would have conducted a standard GRE-like CBT test without compromise for 3700 , 100 per state using CGPA we input on the application.

After the test , call high scoring candidates for chats where they could use publications ,professional bodies, Olevel, degree grade etc. And interview could be done virtual without stress.

PTDF scholarship is not academic-based like Tetfund , it's tailored to professional/industry in oil and gas, so why using publications as metric for MSc .

On the issue of certificate citing either you are physical or virtual interview, it does not matter as they have your soft copies already. When you get the scholarship , they will still check and verify.

XtraSmooth404:

They probably needed to create more work for themselves. This translates to more daily allowances, hotel flexing, etc. 3 weeks interview schedule is too long if we're being serious. They could have shortlisted top 50 from each state which is like total of 1850 and wrap it up in a week.
Re: Apply For 2022/2023 PTDF Overseas Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme by blacknoir: 7:21am On May 29, 2022
Basemanbase:
See preparing is a waste of effort, question I was asked caught me off guard and was very funny.. Was leaving the door answer came in my head ��

Just one question, that was all. I was like.. With the number of scholarly articles I read?

Just sleep and trust in God.

His strength manifested in our weaknesses..
what question was that
Re: Apply For 2022/2023 PTDF Overseas Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme by Nobody: 7:26am On May 29, 2022
Re: Apply For 2022/2023 PTDF Overseas Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme by blacknoir: 7:30am On May 29, 2022
1b8m:
8000 applied, 2000 were shortlisted
26k applied 8k shortlisted

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) ... (119) (Reply)

A.B.U Zaria 2012/2013 ASPIRANTS / University of Ibadan (unibadan)2014/2015 Post-Graduate Application / 2020 PTDF Overseas Scholarship In France, Germany, China And Malaysia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.