Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,111 members, 7,916,247 topics. Date: Friday, 09 August 2024 at 06:48 PM

Lagos, NAFDAC Join Hands To Destroy Bottles Of Codeine - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos, NAFDAC Join Hands To Destroy Bottles Of Codeine (6361 Views)

Jonathan And Bola Tinubu Held Hands To Have A Closed-Door Meeting (Photos) / Nigerian Soldiers Dig The Ground With Their Hands To Get Drinking Water (Video) / Customs Intercepts Smuggled Arms, Military Uniforms, Cocaine, Bottles Of Codeine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos, NAFDAC Join Hands To Destroy Bottles Of Codeine by milann: 2:33pm On Dec 22, 2021
The Lagos State Environmental Protection Agency (LASEPA), in collaboration with the National Agency For Food and Drug Administration Control (NAFDAC), has destroyed 260,000 litres of codeine-containing syrup.

Lagos Deputy Governor Obafemi Hamzat said there was a need to destroy the drugs as it was being abused by youths of the state.

Mr Hamzat disclosed this during the inspection and demonstration of LASEPA’s Mini Effluent Treatment Plant (ETP) in Ikeja. He was represented by the Commissioner for Environment and Water Resources, Tunji Bello.

The deputy governor said that the ETP would help discourage environmental pollution and ensure healthy living.

He said that the collaboration between LASEPA and NAFDAC was a good initiative toward ridding the environment of hazardous products.

According to him, the synergy will go a long way in reducing the rate of consumption of codeine-containing syrup among the youth which is on the increase in Nigeria.

He said that the LASEPA ETP was put in place by the state government for the destruction of expired, adulterated, hazardous products, among others.

Mr Hamzat said that the decision to choose LASEPA’s disposable plant to carry out the exercise was deliberate, as the agency was versatile at ensuring the safety of the environment.

The General Manager of LASEPA, Dolapo Fasawe, called on manufacturing companies to get functional ETPs for the proper discharge of their hazardous chemicals.

Ms Fasawe said that the monitoring and enforcement officials from the agency would continue to monitor the process and method of waste disposals by these companies.

She said that the agency had the right to sanction recalcitrant environmental offenders and protect the environment against all kinds of pollution ranging from water pollution, air pollution and sound pollution, among others.

The general manager, therefore, urged manufacturing companies to put in place such plants for the proper discharge of their waste into the ecosystem to avoid being sanctioned by the state government.

Speaking on the objectives of the collaboration, Director-General, NAFDAC, Mojisola Adeyeye, said that the decision to destroy the hazardous drugs was welcomed following mass consumption of codeine-containing syrup by some Nigerian youths and its effects.

Ms Adeyeye said that NAFDAC had called for the immediate regulation of the production of the syrup and the directive resulted in the recovery of over two and a half million bottles of codeine-containing syrup from across the country.

She said that after several deliberations on how to destroy the bottles of codeine syrup, NAFDAC found LASEPA’s ETP suitable for the proper destruction of the products.

She said that the decision was made to ensure that the products were safely destroyed, without constituting a hazard to the environment.

https://gazettengr.com/lagos-nafdac-join-hands-to-destroy-bottles-of-codeine-diet/

Re: Lagos, NAFDAC Join Hands To Destroy Bottles Of Codeine by habsydiamond(m): 2:42pm On Dec 22, 2021
Good... Now awon science students can rest small. Naija youth and hard drugs be like 5/6 since 1900

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos, NAFDAC Join Hands To Destroy Bottles Of Codeine by inoki247: 8:19pm On Dec 22, 2021
I no even know as d drug dey go for doz people mouth...

The day I take ordinary 10ml wen I get cough na vomit I dey vomit chest come dey pepper person...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos, NAFDAC Join Hands To Destroy Bottles Of Codeine by pihabo9050: 8:20pm On Dec 22, 2021
Una no destroy colorado,na codeine u con Dy destroy useless people
Re: Lagos, NAFDAC Join Hands To Destroy Bottles Of Codeine by chigoziri2403(m): 8:21pm On Dec 22, 2021
That codeine that was destroyed is just 0.000000001,% of the codeine in Nigeria,the product is everywhere...

Destroying bottles of codeine won't stop the addiction, rather make the youths gainfully employed.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos, NAFDAC Join Hands To Destroy Bottles Of Codeine by Themez1: 8:21pm On Dec 22, 2021
Nice move
Re: Lagos, NAFDAC Join Hands To Destroy Bottles Of Codeine by AquaPetals(f): 8:21pm On Dec 22, 2021
Well, codeine has been a life saver for some people.
I remember taking it when I had weakness, cough and loss of stamina...I felt alive within 10 minutes.
What should be done is that its use be efficiently monitored to avoid abuse.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos, NAFDAC Join Hands To Destroy Bottles Of Codeine by Mko123(m): 8:21pm On Dec 22, 2021
I pray it goes successful.

oh! What the crap, after destroying codeine, you better wait for mmkpuru miri too because the east has find their way to infiltrate the west
Re: Lagos, NAFDAC Join Hands To Destroy Bottles Of Codeine by Benitoh: 8:21pm On Dec 22, 2021
Some body's hard earned money.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos, NAFDAC Join Hands To Destroy Bottles Of Codeine by loadedvibes: 8:21pm On Dec 22, 2021
Hmm.. what's the rationale for destroying the drug ?

There are people that legitimately require this drug.
Is there any drug that can't be abused? So tomorrow if paracetamol starts getting abused you people would destroy it too

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos, NAFDAC Join Hands To Destroy Bottles Of Codeine by BigDawsNet: 8:22pm On Dec 22, 2021
My local drug dealer started dressing up as a Jehovah's Witness so he wouldn't arouse suspicion.

He got arrested after the police saw people actually letting him in.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos, NAFDAC Join Hands To Destroy Bottles Of Codeine by Jokerman(m): 8:23pm On Dec 22, 2021
What of meth?

1 Like

Re: Lagos, NAFDAC Join Hands To Destroy Bottles Of Codeine by JohnieWalker12(m): 8:23pm On Dec 22, 2021
Govt get the strength to redistribute these codeine to the elderly people were need am for this harmattan cough through primary health care centers in Local Govt areas. Just saying. undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos, NAFDAC Join Hands To Destroy Bottles Of Codeine by samnificent(m): 8:26pm On Dec 22, 2021
Lean now go cost

2 Likes

Re: Lagos, NAFDAC Join Hands To Destroy Bottles Of Codeine by DavidHarry(m): 8:32pm On Dec 22, 2021
Choi see mula
Re: Lagos, NAFDAC Join Hands To Destroy Bottles Of Codeine by Collins4u1(m): 8:36pm On Dec 22, 2021
AquaPetals:
Well, codeine has been a life saver for some people.
I remember taking it when I had weakness, cough and loss of stamina...I felt alive within 10 minutes.
What should be done is that its use be efficiently monitored to avoid abuse.

Don't mind country wey no get sense, as if the drug is the problem.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos, NAFDAC Join Hands To Destroy Bottles Of Codeine by Nobody: 9:12pm On Dec 22, 2021
Youre in Nigeria, you’re educated, you’re young in this Buhari regime, your prospect is 50% of what your mates in the western world is. You now add drug addiction to it?
Brother/Sister your prospect becomes 1%

#SayNoToDrugs
Re: Lagos, NAFDAC Join Hands To Destroy Bottles Of Codeine by Caboceer: 9:14pm On Dec 22, 2021
post=108731580:
Hmm.. what's the rationale for destroying the drug ?

There are people that legitimately require this drug.
Is there any drug that can't be abused? So tomorrow if paracetamol starts getting abused you people would destroy it too

Don't mind the stupid people, it's the same way LASG crushes thousands of otherwise functional bikes

Black men are such fools I swear

2 Likes

Re: Lagos, NAFDAC Join Hands To Destroy Bottles Of Codeine by Johel(m): 10:05pm On Dec 22, 2021
pihabo9050:
Una no destroy colorado,na codeine u con Dy destroy useless people

I dey tell you....dem no destroy colos and cigga,Na codeine and weed farm dem dey destroy.... misplaced priorities. angry angry

1 Like

Re: Lagos, NAFDAC Join Hands To Destroy Bottles Of Codeine by Cmanforall: 10:05pm On Dec 22, 2021
Nawa o...
If the codeine is fake , then it is commendable. Otherwise, they just wasted some medically useful drugs.
Re: Lagos, NAFDAC Join Hands To Destroy Bottles Of Codeine by Hndrrxxx(m): 10:18pm On Dec 22, 2021
Ff
Re: Lagos, NAFDAC Join Hands To Destroy Bottles Of Codeine by ArewaNorth: 2:08am On Dec 23, 2021
The children of 8 will blame Hisba.
Anything that harm or make person lose sense for sometimes deserve destruction undecided
Re: Lagos, NAFDAC Join Hands To Destroy Bottles Of Codeine by Qewyahs4real: 6:21am On Dec 23, 2021
I think the government should find a way to restrict the circulation of the drug instead of destroying it. Destroying drugs wouldnt stop the addicts from getting it. They should make it strictly on prescriptions before anyone can have access to it...
Re: Lagos, NAFDAC Join Hands To Destroy Bottles Of Codeine by samfrancis1(m): 6:52am On Dec 24, 2021
Useless people, when coke and other mineral justice kills more than those drugs self, Make God help me punish that organization called Nafdac, Nigerians are slowly dying from what we eat everyday..
Re: Lagos, NAFDAC Join Hands To Destroy Bottles Of Codeine by headbasher96(m): 7:23am On Dec 24, 2021
If they destroy 260,000 liters u know how many them allow to pass

(1) (Reply)

Yar'adua 'Unconscious' In Saudi Arabia: Fears Mount In Nigeria / 16 Illegal Refineries Discovered In Abia / Mend Threatens Mtn, Sacoil

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.