Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,853 members, 7,909,204 topics. Date: Friday, 02 August 2024 at 07:43 PM

This Is Why You Wouldn't Want The Power Of Flight - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / This Is Why You Wouldn't Want The Power Of Flight (369 Views)

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 Released At Last. / 7 Things You Should Stop Doing To Your Phone If You Want The Battery To Last Lon / See These Venomous Bird-killer Snakes That Travel By Flight (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

This Is Why You Wouldn't Want The Power Of Flight by Nobody: 2:55am On Dec 24, 2021
[img]https://imagizer./img923/7608/xS7LjW.jpg[/img]

Almost everyone has at some point desired to fly like superman; the reason could be to commute to work without having to pay for gas, see the world from a birds-eye view, or just for the sheer coolness of it.

This is because Hollywood has grossly glamorized this ability, and made it seem awesome. However, if only you knew what it takes to fly from a scientific standpoint, you’d be better off splurging that #6500 on gas.

Note: for this article, we're not dealing with flying with the help of any machine, we're only dealing with the superman-esque kind of flying.

Also, we're going to assume you don't have the indestructibility of superman; just regular ol' you with the power to go up up and away. Now with that out of the way, let's keep things moving.

The First Factor We’ll be Dealing with Is Temperature:

If you’re flying like superman, chances are that you’d want to go very high (I know I would), but that’s the problem, there’s this thing called temperature.

The amount of heat energy inside a system is directly proportional to the mass of the system. Also, the higher you go, the lower the mass per unit volume of the air around (air gets thinner the higher you go), this will cause a massive reduction in temperature and most definitely give you frostbites.

I know what you’re thinking, "I’d just fly low then, right?", And to that I say touchè.
Just kidding, I’ve got some sweet sweet pessimism for that too.

If you're going to fly low, you're going to have to fly below 3km because that's the only height where you won't freeze to death.

That's not all, you'd have to fly a lot slower, and I mean boringly slow, which leads to my next factor;

Velocity Limitation:

Right now, you are surrounded by air molecules, and when you move, you collide with them at great speed.

If the air molecules are colder than your body temperature, they’ll hit you, gain your heat energy and leave you a bit colder. The more air molecules hit you, the more heat energy your skin loses, and the colder you become.

Think about it; if you're sitting in a car with the windows down, and the car starts moving fast, you'd soon get cooler due to the air molecules hitting your body at tremendous speed.

The reverse can also be the case: If you're cold and exposed to hot air, the air molecules touch your skin, lose their energy, and you become warmer in the process. This is called convective cooling

Now, I'm sure you can already apply that to this subject. If you choose to fly very fast like superman, you'd experience wind chills that will give you terrible frost bites due to the rapid collision with air molecules.

In fact, even if you choose to fly as slow as 100km/hr (60mph), you'd still get terrible frostbites in under 2 minutes.

Apart from temperature, another factor you'd want to consider is;

A Bird Strike

This doesn't only have to be about birds, anything could suddenly hit you, but I'm sticking to the most common problem aircraft's face, and since you've decided to become a human aircraft, the problem will apply to you.

If I should throw a small bird at you (don't worry, it's already dead—it lived a full life and died of old age), it may not hurt that much, the same thing with me throwing a small bullet at you.

However, if I fly into one with a speed of 300km/hr, and the other one is shot out of a gun, the results will be catastrophic.

Let's take bird strikes on commercial aircrafts; when a plane hits a bird mid-flight, whatever velocity the bird was flying at will change to the velocity of the aircraft, instantaneously!

Let's say a small bird weighing 1 pound (0.45kg) and is also 1foot long is hit by a commercial jet flying at a velocity of 900km/hr (550mph), according to Isaac Newton's equation, the force the plane will receive will be about 100,000 newtons (23,000 pounds).

They usually turn planes into this:

[img]https://imagizer./img923/8582/CvYVdu.jpg[/img]

Planes are made of metal, so Imagine what that will do to your body (and remember I said you weren’t indestructible)

Before you go "Well, how often does this happen, I might get lucky", it'll shock you to know that in the US alone, aircraft suffer over 13,000 bird strikes every year, so that's quite a common occurrence.

So not only do you have to travel close to the ground, you'd also have to travel slowly. Still, enjoying your flight? We'll see about that when I bring up my heaviest artillery;

Legality:

If you're living among people, in order for you to freely, and legally use their airspace, you'll have to take permission from the authorities.

This is because, not only would they give you a license, they'll have to expend their resources to monitor your activities while you're in the air.

Think about it, one of the reasons aircraft contact the FAA before taking off is because it's a mandatory procedure required by the authorities so they'll be able to monitor the aircraft. This is to prevent any form of sinister activities in their airspace.

So, if you're flying, they'll have to monitor your activities because to them, you could be planning on planting a bomb on a skyscraper or something.

Unfortunately, they may not be too keen on giving you permission (that’s if they haven’t kidnapped you to perform some experiments to know how the hell you can fly) because it’s just not worth the time and effort to keep an eye on one man.

You could get their permission, but it would be a hassle which could cost you a lot of money.

If you don't get their permission, the government has the right to shoot you down.

You could plan to fly within your neighborhood, which is cool, but remember we’re going superman-esque here. Think bigger

Not only do you have to fly close to the ground, and slowly, you'd also have to work hard to get airspace permission.

Oh! And did I even bother to mention the fact that the higher you go, the less oxygen? Coz that’s already very obvious.

Now in order to solve that problem, you'd have to wear a protective suit that is strong enough to not only withstand a bird strike but also absorb the shock, the suit would also need a constant supply of oxygen and temperature regulation systems.

Apart from that, you’d also need to be loaded, and have a few government connections. Hmmm, where have I seen someone like that before?

[img]https://imagizer./img924/719/4MbIUr.jpg[/img]

Oh well, guess we'll never know.

You could ignore all those limitations and travel in a warm, cozy, safe environment thousands of feet in the air for.... *Googles*......

—#95k?

Maybe you should take your chances with the bird strike instead.

Psst... I have a website where you can download the free mod version of popular mobile games. Please check it out

[url]Upmodapk.com[/url]

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Bookkeeper Near Me / Top 10 Software Testing Tools / Which Payment Method Does Apple Currently Accept In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.