Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,491 members, 7,901,403 topics. Date: Friday, 26 July 2024 at 09:36 AM

Football Quotes - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Football Quotes (6575 Views)

Most Memorable Football Quotes Of 2014 / Some Hilarious Football Quotes. Pick ur favourites & Add Urs as Well. / Sir Alex Football Quotes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Football Quotes by Akolawole(m): 6:15pm On Feb 15, 2006
Members lets contribute on this together.
We will be quoting quotes and pictures and source(s) of quotes of great football players past or present.
Here we go:

RONALDINHO

"The first time i was in the paper i was 13. It was because i'd scored 23 goals in a game"

On being the best footballer in the World

I don't feel that i'm the best at Barca. I know i'm important to the team, but the best, no, not really. I do what i can and others do things I can't.

Source: January 2006 FourFourTwo

Re: Football Quotes by Chxta(m): 6:50pm On Feb 15, 2006
All the quotes below are by Bill Shankly, one of the greatest coaches ever,

* “Some people believe that football is a matter of life and death. I am very disappointed with that attitude, it is much, much more important than that!”
o Notes: On a Granada Television chat-show in 1981.

* "My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

* "I don't think I was in a bath until I was 15 years old. I used to use a tub to wash myself. But out of poverty with a lot of people living in the same house, you get humour."

* "It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for, and to remind the opposition who they're playing against."
o Notes: on the 'This is Anfield' plaque

* "I'm a people's man - only the people matter"

* "My life is my work. My work is my life."

* "I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed to know that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday Afternoon."
o Notes: at Dixie Dean's funeral

* "The problem with you, son, is that all your brains are in your head."
o Notes: to a Liverpool trainee

* "Sickness would not have kept me away from this one. If I'd been dead, I would have had them bring the casket to the ground, prop it up in the stands and cut a hole in the lid."
o Notes: after beating Everton in the '71 FA Cup semi-final

* "I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I'd break my wife's legs if I played against her, but I'd never cheat her."

* "Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool."

* "This is a team of skill and character, with men eager and ready to do any job if it's for the benefit of the club."

* "The fans here are the greatest in the land. They know the game and they know what they want to see. The people on the Kop make you feel great - yet humble."

* "No one was asked to do more than anyone else, we were a team. We shared the ball, we shared the game, we shared the worries."

* "At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques."
o Notes: on boardroom meetings

* "I'm just one of the people who stands on the Kop. They think the same as I do, and I think the same as they do. It's a kind of marriage of people who like each other."
o Notes: on his relationship with the fans

* "If he isn't named Footballer of the Year, football should be stopped and the men who picked any other player should be sent to the Kremlin."
o Notes: on Tommy Smith

* "Fire in your belly comes from pride and passion in wearing the red shirt. We don't need to motivate players because each of them is responsible for the performance of the team as a whole. The status of Liverpool's players keeps them motivated."

* "Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass. It is terribly simple."

* "Don't worry, Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!"
o Notes: to Alan Ball, who'd just signed for Everton

* "He has football in his blood," the disappointed scout complained. "You may be right," Shankly said, "but it hasn't reached his legs yet."
o Notes: after a scout told Shankly about a young player who he'd given a trial at Liverpool

* "Nonsense! I've kicked every ball, headed out every cross. I once scored a hat-trick; One was lucky, but the others were great goals."
o Notes: after being told that he had never experienced playing in a derby

* "It was the most difficult thing in the world. When I went to tell the chairman, it was like walking to the electric chair. That's the way it felt."
o Notes: on his resignation

* "Where are you from?" "I'm a Liverpool fan from London." "Well laddie , What's it like to be in heaven?"
o Notes: to a Liverpool fan

* "Aye, here we are with problems at the top of the league."
o Notes: to the journalist suggesting Liverpool were in difficulties

* "I only wanted him for the reserves."
o Notes: to the players after failing to sign Lou Macari in 1973

* "100,000 wouldn't buy him.", Tommy Docherty said. "Yeah, I am one of the 100,000!", replied Shankly.
o Notes: Shankly and Docherty discussing a player every other club coveted on sight

* "A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are. In my time at Anfield we always said we had the best two teams on Merseyside, Liverpool and Liverpool reserves."

* "But that's where I live!"
o Notes: to the Brussels hotel clerk who queried his signing 'Anfield' as his address on the hotel register

* "Just go out and drop a few hand grenades all over the place, son."
o Notes: to Kevin Keegan

* "Take that poof bandage off, and what do you mean your knee, it's Liverpool's knee!"
o Notes: to Tommy Smith after he'd turned up for training with a bandaged knee

* "We absolutely annihilated England. It was a massacre. We beat them 5-4."
o Notes: on a wartime England v Scotland match

* "Aye, Roger Hunt misses a few, but he gets in the right place to miss them."
o Notes: to a reporter in the 60s

* "If you are first you are first. If you are second you are nothing."

* "The trouble with referees is that they know the rules, but they do not know the game."

* "Anything off the top", asked a barber in 1968. "Aye, Everton", replied Shankly.

* "Just tell them I completely disagree with everything they say."
o Notes: to an interpreter regarding excited Italian journalists

* "The best side drew."
o Notes: after a hard fought 1:1 draw

* "It's a 90 minute game for sure. In fact I used to train for a 190 minute game so that when the whistle blew at the end of the match I could have played another 90 minutes."

* "You son, could start a riot in a graveyard."
o Notes: to Tommy Smith

* "I told this player, 'Listen Son, you haven't broken your leg. It's all in the mind."

* "Aye, watch it Bob, it's very greasy and treacherous out there. Very difficult for goalkeepers."
o Notes: to Arsenal 'keeper Bob Wilson before the 1971 Cup Final

* "Sorry, boss, I should have kept my legs together.", said Clemence. "Wrong, it`s your mother who should have!", replied Shankly.
o Notes: after Ray Clemence had let in a fluke goal between his legs

* "If Everton were playing at the bottom of the garden, I'd pull the curtains."

* "Of course I didn't take my wife to see Rochdale as an anniversary present, it was her birthday. Would I have got married in the football season? Anyway, it was Rochdale reserves."

* "Son, you'll do well here as long as you remember two things. Don't over-eat and don't lose your accent."
o Notes: on the day he signed Ian St John

* "What can you do, playing against eleven goalposts?"
o Notes: after a 0-0 draw at Anfield

* "With him in defence, we could play Arthur Askey in goal."
o Notes: after signing Ron Yeats

* "For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side."

* "If a player is not interfering with play or seeking to gain an advantage, then he should be."

* "Although I'm a Scot, I'd be proud to be called a Scouser."

* "He's worse than the rain in Manchester. At least God stops the rain in Manchester occasionally."
o Notes: about Brian Clough

* "He typifies everything that is good in football, and he has never changed. You could stake your life on Ian."
o Notes: about Ian Callaghan

* "He's not just the best centre-forward in the British Isles, but the only one."
o Notes: about Ian St John

* "Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'."

* "When you get the ball, I want you to beat a couple of men and smash the ball into the net, just the same way you used to at Bury," said Shankly. Lindsay replied: "But Boss that wasn't me, it was Bobby Kerr." Shankly turned to Bob Paisley and said: "Christ Bob, we've signed the wrong player."

* "Laddie, that man scored 200 goals in 270 matches - an incredible record - and he has won cup after cup as a manager. When he talks, pin back your ears."
o Notes: to a photographer who suggested Brian Clough was outspoken

* "It's great grass at Anfield, professional grass."
o Notes: about Anfield

* "I've been a slave to football. It follows you home, it follows you everywhere, and eats into your family life. But every working man misses out on some things because of his job."

* "I was only in the game for the love of football - and I wanted to bring back happiness to the people of Liverpool."

* "A football team is like a piano. You need eight men to carry it and three who can play the damn thing."
Re: Football Quotes by bagoma(f): 10:09pm On Feb 15, 2006
chxta,
now i'm convinced you have a covenant(for want of a better word) with loooong posts. cool
Re: Football Quotes by Akolawole(m): 1:09am On Feb 16, 2006
@Chxta
What can i say?
Good good quotes but no single picture to back up this.
It will be advisable to shorten it a bit

By the way, what is "o notes" ?

@bagoma
Are you complaining ?
Re: Football Quotes by Chxta(m): 7:47am On Feb 16, 2006
bagoma:

chxta,
now i'm convinced you have a covenant(for want of a better word) with loooong posts. cool
Not the first time I am hearing such a complaint.
Re: Football Quotes by nightrider: 10:27am On Feb 16, 2006
quotes from jose mourinho

Re: Football Quotes by nightrider: 10:38am On Feb 16, 2006
quotes from jose mourinho

if i wanted an easy job, i would have stayed at porto, a nice blue chair, the uefa champions league trophy, God and next to God me.

when i first came to england a reporter in a news conference asked me what pionts do you think you'd finish the season with, i said 90. All the reporters laughed, now we finish season with 95 , i wonder if they still laughing.

On Manchester united winning and Chelsea drawing a game.
They are happy because they won and we drew. they are all laughing, but we still on top , ask any one of them if they want to change places with chelsea they agree. they won't be laughing anymore

i know the ups and downs of football , i know that one day i will be sacked

Re: Football Quotes by nightrider: 10:41am On Feb 16, 2006
thierry arsenal "igwe" henry

sometimes in football you have to score goals

Re: Football Quotes by Akolawole(m): 4:40pm On Feb 16, 2006
@Nightrider
Thanks on those quotes of my very good friend, the Special one.
Welcome to Nairaland.

Bagoma, Pie1ect, "Niceman", i am waiting for yours but dont forget to provide the source.
Thanks
Re: Football Quotes by nightrider: 9:35am On Feb 17, 2006
thanks man, it's nice to join all the chatter. i think i'm getting addicted.
I like mourinho i think he's a great coach with a lot of confidence in himself which is good, but then again i hate him because
he beat my arsenal. arrrrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But like i always say i'll become a chelsea fan if mikel starts playing there. afterall i became an arsenal fan cause of kanu.
Re: Football Quotes by Akolawole(m): 1:01pm On Feb 17, 2006
@Nightriders
You are the only Gunner that accept Jose is a good coach.
Re: Football Quotes by nightrider: 1:17pm On Feb 17, 2006
every gunner knows deep down that mourinho is a great coach but pride won't let us admit it. i like to be realistic , as a matter of fact i think he is better then wenger. he's winning premiership title back 2 back sumthin wenger couldn't achieve and he has won and reached semi final of champions league. but that doesn't waiver my support for arsenal, i think brazil is abetter team than nigeria but i'll still support nigeria.
Re: Football Quotes by Akolawole(m): 5:12pm On Feb 17, 2006
@ Nightrider
Thanks for being very very objective.
I am awaiting what Bagoma,Pie1ect, Slary will say now grin

@ Nightrider
Can you please participate in my football quiz named akolawole football quiz 6 then 7
Re: Football Quotes by Akolawole(m): 6:45pm On Feb 17, 2006
Rashidi Yekini

"If Nigeria is pitched against Ants and Cockroaches, i will play for my country."

Source: Complete football 1993.

Re: Football Quotes by bagoma(f): 3:14pm On Feb 18, 2006
nightryder,
i know that big mouth murinho is good but he's NOT extra-ordinary, not better than so many before him.
As far as i'm concerned he's definetely not better than wenger, and i 'm happy to read that he says he knows he's gonna get scaked someday. and why will that be?
when he starts failing and beleive me he will because there is always an end to a story.
Re: Football Quotes by Akolawole(m): 3:26pm On Feb 18, 2006
@Bagoma
I beg this is for football quotes but i will reply you.

Jose is far far better than Wenger. Please checkhis record at that age. By far the richest and most comfortable coach in the world. For every trophy won in Chelsea he gets £1m. he lives in 3rd most expensive area in the world(Belgravia square) where Kings and Duchess lives. Have you seen his advertisement on telly?

He recently register his name as a PATENT in England,that is you pay to use his name on certain things.

He never overstay in any club, such a crazy guy that leaves clubs at their PEAK.
I beg, leave my friend alone or ELSE
Re: Football Quotes by bagoma(f): 4:03pm On Feb 18, 2006
i can see now that you are a murinho's fanatic.
ha such adoration make me sick. yuck!
i no comment again for this.
Re: Football Quotes by rikkyjen(m): 1:07am On Feb 19, 2006
Akolawole!!!, why are you reeling out his private fortuneswhat does that have to do with the fact about his coaching pedigree??, That his name is patented does not mean he is the best coach, Afterall David Beckham is a demi-god with fortunes in england,does that make him a better palyer at real madrid, Abi wetin you dey yarn ok lets agree he is a good coach,is it living in buckingham palace that makes him one,or his ability to win silverwares, Abeg lets face substance rather than chasing shadows with dane guns!!!!! angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Football Quotes by Akolawole(m): 12:41pm On Feb 19, 2006
@Rikkyjen
Where have you been? i am awaiting your answers to my recent quiz.

He is very good and he is getting FORTUNES from being extra ordinary.

@everyone

Lets go back to the thread jare
Re: Football Quotes by nightrider: 9:56am On Feb 20, 2006
We can't deny the fact Jose Mourinho is a good coach and his confidence and ability rubs of on his players.
But he's not the best. Alex ferguson is better, but then mourinho still has time. But you cannot compare mourinho to my all time favorite

VINCENTE DEL BOSQUE
From being a caretaker manager he won two la liga titles and two Champions league titles in four years.

Also Rafa Benitz of liverpool has done exactly the same thing Muorinho is boasting about
He won the uefa cup and the champions league back to back. Valencia and liverpool.
Roman Abramovich's money can buy the premiership title but it definately can't buy the champions league and that's a hard lesson he's going to learn this season.
So even as we agree that mourinho is good he should calm down there's nothing new under the sun.
Re: Football Quotes by Akolawole(m): 4:39pm On Feb 20, 2006
Can we please go back to the thread please?
Re: Football Quotes by Akolawole(m): 6:45pm On Feb 22, 2006
King Kanu

Source: Complete Football Nov/Dec 2005

" We have a lot of young players in the team who  are rubbing shoulders with world class players abroad. This is good for us and i hope that Eagles will conquer the world one day"

Re: Football Quotes by nightrider: 9:28am On Feb 23, 2006
Can messi be suspended for acting? Barcelona is a very cultural city. You know all about theartre.you have theatres of high quality.

Pleeeeeeeaaaaaaase!!!!! he also forgot to add " and footballers of higher quality than we can ever dream of at chelsea". can we buy that boy messi? and maybe we could get Eto'o to replace our misfiring Drogba.

Re: Football Quotes by Akolawole(m): 4:51pm On Feb 23, 2006
@NightRider

Only Quotes and the Source PLEASEEEEEE.
Re: Football Quotes by nightrider: 6:22pm On Feb 23, 2006
Mourinho said every word of the first paragraph yesterday. Check soccernet. word for word.

the second line is my satire. heh.
Re: Football Quotes by Akolawole(m): 7:23pm On Feb 23, 2006
@Nightrider

Jose did say the first part but this thread is for quotes, source and pictures.

If the rules is well followed, it will be the longest thread in Nairaland
Re: Football Quotes by lowo(m): 7:52pm On Feb 23, 2006
suspend ke? never blues coach like to talk so much, maybe he should be a fm presenter, messi said"I don't do theatre," said the 18-year-old Argentine"
Re: Football Quotes by Akolawole(m): 1:49pm On Feb 25, 2006
" Chelsea is a long ball intimidators"

" Chelsea play on a pitch which is worse than you'd find in Cameroun"

Author : Samuel Etoo

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390000-2006090268,00.html

Re: Football Quotes by Badman888(m): 3:53pm On Feb 26, 2006
"The Best team lost" (Mourinho)
Re: Football Quotes by Akolawole(m): 7:48pm On Feb 26, 2006
@Badman888

Where did Mourinho say this?
I dont think so!
Give us the link please
Re: Football Quotes by Akolawole(m): 3:09am On Mar 01, 2006
PELE

"If you want to live long, dont be a Coach"

Re: Football Quotes by Akolawole(m): 4:20pm On Mar 03, 2006
#  "SIASIA SAMSON"

"True to God, i never see Yekini "

# CLEMENCE WESTERHOF

"How could someone says he could not see somebody as big as Yekini"

History
Siasia ought to lay a pass to a better- placed Yekini in Abidjan in a World cup Qualifier. Eagles lost 1-2.
As a result of this SiaSia lost his first team place for Amokachi.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Olympics Tennis: Nigerian Women Are Out / Imama Amapakabo Invites 33 Home-based Players For U-23 AFCON Qualifier vs Libya / CSKA Moscow Sign Ahmed Musa From Vvv Venlo For €5m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.