Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,992 members, 7,970,013 topics. Date: Tuesday, 08 October 2024 at 06:41 PM

Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? (20612 Views)

Poll: Who Was A Bigger Player?

Kanu: 56% (66 votes)
Jay Jay Okocha: 43% (50 votes)
This poll has ended

Who Is Africas All Time Best Midfielder : Yaya Toure Or Jay Jay Okocha? / WHO IS MOST DECORATED -KANU OR ETOO??? / Kanu Nwankwo Or Jay Jay Okocha? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? by Racing(m): 1:04pm On Jun 17, 2011
[quote author=kbdrim link=topic=691565.msg8536047#msg8536047 date=1308309831
Okocha was named in the 100 most influential footballer of the last century alongside pele maradona, roger mila, abedi pele, zidane  by FIFA, Kanu wasnt, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_100, Okocha singlehandedly took bolton to where it was, kanu was lucky to be in a club where the likes of thiery henry, patrick veira, dennis berkamp and others played, Kanu is not known to have significantly affected the fortunes of the club he played for, As a striker kanu has never scored in the African nations cup however okocha has score in all nations club he played except 1994. Okocha is a better player, kanu was just luck to be in clubs where he won cups, why didnt he help portsmouth and west brom? in ajax he had rickaard, kluivert, overmaars, de boer brothers, he is overated
mr man don't say what u don't know.For d fact dat kanu didnt score @ any of d nations cup he played,doesn't make him overrated.Ur assertion on d zero contribution of kanu 2 his clubs shouldnt have even come up.kanu single handedly won d english fa cup 4 postmouth in 2008.i guess dat wasn't a contribution in ur own concept.i'm not taking anything away from d master dribbler himself,okocha.Coming here n asking what kanu did 4 country n club,is like asking a blind man 2 show u d way 2 ur house.So guy,chill n lets celebrate dis guys while they are still around.
Re: Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? by slimbunky: 1:05pm On Jun 17, 2011
Mr, Cork:

they both cant  spek english nor  read or right!! angry

Whether they speak good English or not, they speak the language that even a grand mother in korea will understand. The name of the language is soccer. Mr cork fowl doesn't even know how to spell the English he so claims to speak.

He must be a yeye fowl that's why he's name is cork.

Okocha and Kanu, great footballers.
Re: Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? by Nobody: 1:05pm On Jun 17, 2011
baby-boy:

Everything Kanu won he won sitting on the bench,

Jay Jay had a more fulfilling career he would rather move to another club to get first team football, Kanu would rather sit on the bench and collect his money ,

Jay Jay is a Legand in Bolton!!!
Daft response.
Kanu was integral to the Ajax side that won the champions league in 1995 and reached the final in 96,losing on penalties to Juventus.I'm pretty sure you weren't born by then to know that Kanu provided the assist for the winning goal in 95.
So let me get this straight,if I moved from Turkey to England,my destination would be Bolton,whose best finish was 6th in 2005?
Jay Jay is a legend for winning nothing at Bolton,but Kanu is fondly remembered at the likes of Ajax,Inter and Arsenal. . .Who then had the better career?Oh, Okocha,abi?
Everyone has an opinion these days sha. . .
Re: Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? by adejoro75: 1:06pm On Jun 17, 2011
Mr, Cork:

Buahahah! Look who is speking (speaking) and righting (writing) [b]e[/b]nglish (English)

A complete brainless cork, indeed.
Re: Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? by Dsense(m): 1:30pm On Jun 17, 2011
Mr, Cork:

they both cant spek english nor read or right!! angry

Heheheh idiot grin grin

OP.

Both
Re: Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? by DaDoctor: 1:34pm On Jun 17, 2011
^^^Okocha n'idi egwuuuu OOO OkochaAA, Na idi tooo much , Okocha^^^ [color=#000099][/color] singing ALOUDDDDDDDD
Re: Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? by Nobody: 1:46pm On Jun 17, 2011
For me, Jayjay is the best, is just that he is unlucky of winning medals
Re: Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? by adctrl: 1:49pm On Jun 17, 2011
I wonder what speaking English has got to do with this topic.

Both players have represented our country brilliantly but to me Okocha is a football wizard. I always tell people that if he was from Europe etc, he would have been nominated for world best player at some point.

Anybody remember this: Allahu Akbar, Okocha is a magician

Pappilo was great as well, before I forget to add!!
Re: Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? by babyboy3(m): 1:52pm On Jun 17, 2011
Kanu was integral to the Ajax side that won the champions league in 1995 and reached the final in 96,losing on penalties to Juventus.I'm pretty sure you weren't born by then to know that Kanu provided the assist for the winning goal in 95.

You must think we all grew up on trees,

Kanu was the back up to Patrick Kliveurt and Jari Littmann at Ajax

The 1995 Champions League winning goal came from a 1-2 between Kliveurt and Frank Rijdkaard, 

Kanu moved from Ajax to Inter Milan to be Zamarano’s understudy hardly played before the detected his heart’s defect on his return he found himself on the bench, then was sold to Arsenal, The moment Henry walked through the doors of Highbury Kanu was relegated to the bench… they even offered him £1m pay off just to join Fulham, but Kanu decided to sit out his 2m a year contract…,

Now Jay Jay joined a team that just came up, and he single handed kept them up the following season got them to the league cup final, they gave him an improved contract “Jay Jay is so good the named him twice”  Today in Bolton Jay Jay is a legend…. Hall of famer… In last 3 seasons Kanu has been on a Pay as you go contract. Before they mention Kanu’s name in Ajax they would mention Finidi’s name, before they mention Kanu’s name at Inter they would first mention Taribo West’s name…. Arsenal (they call him lazy)

This is way Okocha could retire early because he had a fulfilling career; Kanu on the otherside is not fulfilled that’s why he hasn’t retired.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_100
Re: Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? by sylve11: 1:55pm On Jun 17, 2011
aren't they both legend? i like them both jaire wink cool
Re: Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? by fxtopedia(m): 1:57pm On Jun 17, 2011
Mr, Cork:

Thanks for exposing your ignorance!!!!

shadrach77:

those who say okocha is a bigger player need to have their heads examined! kanu won the champions league and was twice voted african footballer of the year - okocha never won anything  grin grin grin

Dude, take it easy na! People's opinion differ and you got to respect that
baby-boy:

Everything Kanu won he won sitting on the bench,

Jay Jay had a more fulfilling career he would rather move to another club to get first team football, Kanu would rather sit on the bench and collect his money ,

Jay Jay is a Legand in Bolton!!!

You are communicating with informed people. Kanu won FA cup with Portsmouth on bench? Next time write after proper research.

[size=25pt]I love both players, however KANU is better in my opinion[/size]
Re: Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? by babyboy3(m): 1:59pm On Jun 17, 2011
kanu won the champions league

Does this mean Kanu is better than Ronaldo, Maradona, Battistuta, Romario, Stoijkov, George Weah who havent won the Champions League
Re: Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? by babyboy3(m): 2:02pm On Jun 17, 2011
You communicating with informed people. Kanu won FA cup with Portsmouth on bench? Next time write after proper research.

WOW They beat the Almighty team conquering, 5 times world champions called CARDIFF

Please even John Utaka looked Messi against Cardiff
Re: Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? by kbdrim(m): 2:06pm On Jun 17, 2011
@StarBoard , point out ur facts like u have without having to resort to insults, it doesnt take anything from u, nigerians n simple courtesy of civility, smh
Re: Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? by fxtopedia(m): 2:11pm On Jun 17, 2011
baby-boy:

WOW They beat the Almighty team conquering, 5 times world champions called CARDIFF

Please even John Utaka looked Messi against Cardiff

Remember the race to the FA final started with MAN U CHELSEA ARSENAL etc, 

If Arsenal won it then, they not would be crying of SIX season with 0 trophy
Re: Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? by EPOMA(m): 2:12pm On Jun 17, 2011
Mr, Cork:

they both cant  [b]spek english nor  read or[b] right[/b]!! angry[/b]

I can see your english
Re: Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? by babyboy3(m): 2:19pm On Jun 17, 2011
Remember the race to the FA final started with MAN U CHELSEA ARSENAL etc,

If Arsenal won it then, they would be crying of SIX season with 0 trophy

They Beat Cardiff, A Champioship team
Re: Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? by Nobody: 2:19pm On Jun 17, 2011
baby-boy:

You must think we all grew up on trees,
Kanu was the back up to Patrick Kliveurt and Jari Littmann at Ajax
The 1995 Champions League winning goal came from a 1-2 between Kliveurt and Frank Rijdkaard, 
Don't display your dullness for the whole world to see.Wikipedia is failing you.
Kanu and Kluivert came on as SUBS.How was Kanu back-up to Kluivert who had just been promoted from Ajax's youth academy?Stop using your nuts to think,man.It's Kluivert,not Kliveurt,unless we're talking of different people. . .
baby-boy:

Arsenal (they call him lazy)
You obviously didn't see (or in your case,hear of) the stunning half-season he had in 98/98 just before Henry joined Arsenal.
baby-boy:

Now Jay Jay joined a team that just came up, and he single handed kept them up the following season got them to the league cup final, they gave him an improved contract “Jay Jay is so good the named him twice”  Today in Bolton Jay Jay is a legend…. Hall of famer… In last 3 seasons Kanu has been on a Pay as you go contract. Before they mention Kanu’s name in Ajax they would mention Finidi’s name, before they mention Kanu’s name at Inter they would first mention Taribo West’s name

Monkey cr$p.
What did Jay-Jay win apart from a few non-descript titles in Turkey?Hall of famer?Where?
This FIFA list you people throw up was drafted by Pele.Read the intro on the article.Several people rejected the said list.
This is the same Pele who saw Godwin Opara in Scotland and said an African team would win the World Cup before the turn of the century and we're still waiting for it to happen even when we brought it to our own soil.The same Pele that told Scolari he didn't know what he was doing and Scolari ended up winning the World Cup.
JayJay took Bolton "singled-handedly" to the only final in his English career,the 3rd-rate Carling Cup,as you his d.ick-riders want us to believe but couldn't get them to win it,yet Kanu scored the winning goal in the FA Cup 3 years ago.He had two other winners medals. . .And he (jay-jay) is supposed to be the bigger player.
baby-boy:

This is way Okocha could retire early because he had a fulfilling career; Kanu on the otherside is not fulfilled that’s why he hasn’t retired.
Stop bandying words about anyhow.
Fulfilling?with no major club honours?Are you drunk?
How did Jay-jay's career end?After playing one season in Qatar/UAE? when his Bolton contract ran out.He was the so-called legend,yet his biggest a$$-kisser,Sam Allardyce couldn't get him a contract renewal and shipped him to the middle-east; is that the way to go?
The name of the game is TROPHIES/AWARDS.Kanu had a bucket-full for his clubs.Jay-Jay outside Turkey has none. . .deal wit hthat
Kanu's stay in Pompey ha
Re: Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? by Nobody: 2:23pm On Jun 17, 2011
baby-boy:

They Beat Cardiff, A Champioship team
Like the FA Cup is a one-off.
You didn't hear,or your Sporting Champion didn't tell you that they beat defending and eventual English champions Man. United at Old Trafford in the quarter final round. ,
Re: Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? by pereze: 2:24pm On Jun 17, 2011
EPOMA:

I can see your english
adejoro75:

Buahahah! Look who is speking (speaking) and righting (writing) [b]e[/b]nglish (English)

A complete brainless cork, indeed.
You be correct guy. The Ndama cow called Mr.cork (whatever that means) is just what his name says he is! Why teach the mumu since he thinks he knows it all?
Re: Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? by fxtopedia(m): 2:27pm On Jun 17, 2011
baby-boy:

They Beat Cardiff,  A Champioship team

Do I need to continue arguing with you? NO.
Reason: You said Kanu won everything on bench
I rebutted it with a fact, but you change the point by trolling!
Either they beat Cardiff or 4th division team was it on bench he won it?

I hang off since you are trying to change your initial statement
Re: Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? by Lotterysun: 2:29pm On Jun 17, 2011
Silly question
BOTH
Re: Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? by Ojiofor: 2:34pm On Jun 17, 2011
Jay Jay won no trophies in Turkey.no league,no fa cup I was in Turkey through out his stay there.still fenerbaçe fans love him till morrow.

both jay jay and papilo are great footballers.
Re: Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? by dayokanu(m): 2:43pm On Jun 17, 2011
Okocha is not fit to lace Kanus shoes.

Okocha wont even make Nigeria top 5 players

Kanu, Finidi, Oliseh, Taribo were all better and had better careers
Re: Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? by folzzy: 2:50pm On Jun 17, 2011
Na Papilo, ooooooooooo
Re: Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? by vislabraye(m): 2:50pm On Jun 17, 2011
KANU is bigger even though Jay jay might be more talented. For those of you saying Kanu is lazy, look at what he did Atlanta 96 Olympics. He scored two very crucial goals while Okocha missed a penalty. Kanu is good and more successful, Luck aside
Re: Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? by Roland17(m): 2:52pm On Jun 17, 2011
@won-cork
U love attention, and i know u are loving the comments,
Re: Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? by Nobody: 2:53pm On Jun 17, 2011
dayokanu:

Okocha is not fit to lace Kanus shoes.
Okocha wont even make Nigeria top 5 players
Kanu, Finidi, Oliseh, Taribo were all better and had better careers
Paddy mi tell dem jor. . .
More like Okocha not being fit to carry Kanu's training boots
vislabraye:

KANU is bigger even though Jay jay might be more talented. For those of you saying Kanu is lazy, look at what he did Atlanta 96 Olympics. He scored two very crucial goals while Okocha missed a penalty. Kanu is good and more successful, Luck aside
To me the issue is not talent.Denilson is more talented than most Brazilian players yet his saving grace was being in Brazil's 2002 World Cup side.
Kanu had a glittering career,even if it was on the bench.Lazy player has three FA Cup medals and 2 league titles.I'd love to be lazy if that is the definition.
Re: Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? by babyboy3(m): 2:56pm On Jun 17, 2011
@StarBoard

*The main fact and its a FACT, Kanu was a bench warmer for Patrick Kluivert

* Joined 98/99 season (mid season actually) the following August Henry joined and found himself on the bench.

*Look no matter how much you want to butter up Kanu's career, he spent a chunk of it on the bench , he could pick up a medal here and there its like saying Manchester United's John O'Shea is a better player than Tottenhams Robbie Keane just on the basis that his team picked up so many medals, The fact is if you ask non Nigerians around the world 99% would choose Jay Jay, when you ask Fergie about the team that handed them their first Europe defeat at home in the Champions League he could only remember making a monkey out of Gary Neville.
Re: Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? by babyboy3(m): 3:01pm On Jun 17, 2011

Thats it! one game 15 years ago, (age related compettiton)

Who scored in the quarter final?

Who scored in the final?

Name another game for Nigeria Kanu stood out?
Re: Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? by Nobody: 3:10pm On Jun 17, 2011
^^^^
I don't know what you mean by bench-warmer.
Did Kanu play in the two finals made by Ajax?if your answer to both is YES,then that argument is null to me.
Kluivert was more regular,but Kanu made contributions to that side,like it or not.His playing statistics tell me so(11 goals in 25 apps 94/95 and 13 goals in 39 apps 95/96).How can someone play 25 and 36 games in consecutive seasons and be a bench-warmer?

I referenced that season that Kanu joined Arsenal to counter the "lazy"claim.Check that season and see the stunning goals Kanu scored.Including a bizzare back-heel against Middlesborough.He had 6 goals from 12 league games that half-season.Or you didn't see the second-half hat-trick at Chelsea the following season?The same people you claimed called him lazy have had their fans vote him as no. 13 in their Top 50 players ballot in 2008.Are you sure you know what you're saying about being lazy?

Even if we agree he spent much of it in the bench,the titles he won with those clubs tell me he had the BETTER career.simple.
Re: Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? by kabukabu50(m): 3:49pm On Jun 17, 2011
Kanu and Okocha are 2 of the most over paid and over rated Nigerian players in history, Okocha was a benchwarmer who could never score,Kanu scored lucky goals,was slow and had no motivation to play hard whatsoever, Okocha never won anything, and Kanu was only lucky to be on that Olympic squad. grin grin grin, The best Nigerian player of all time was Finidi George then probably Dimeji Lawal.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Man U Drops To 6th As Dallas Cowboys Remains Most Valuable Team / Mason Greenwood remanded in custody until Nov 21, For Breaching Bail Conditions / Asisat Oshoala Nominated For BBC world Footballer Of The Year

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.