Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,745 members, 7,875,861 topics. Date: Saturday, 29 June 2024 at 11:51 PM

New Year 2022, The Need For New Nigerians - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / New Year 2022, The Need For New Nigerians (184 Views)

Old Or New, Nigerians Must Practice Wordings Of National Anthem – Tanko / Soldiers Fleeing: 'We Don't Have Weapons, We Are Going Home For New Year' / Buhari Leaves Abuja For New York With Wife, Aisha (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

New Year 2022, The Need For New Nigerians by EmekaStanley: 11:40am On Jan 01, 2022
It's a new year 2022, first of all, I want to wish all Nigerians a happy new year.

A lot of Nigerians must have written their new year resolutions, goals, plans and aspirations for the year, which is great. While most people make personal goals, very few make national goals; goals that have to do with being a better citizen.

Nigeria is a democratic nation which means that the people choose who represent them at each and every level of government. Therefore, whoever is at the government at any point in time is a representation of the attributes a larger percentage of the Nigerians who voted them find 'okay' and 'nationable', because in democracy, it takes more votes from people to win elections.

What this means is that if a thief wins a seat in government by elections, it means a larger percentage of Nigerians who voted them do not see anything wrong with stealing. That's the simplest and the most blunt explanation.

Or it could be that those who see everything wrong in stealing are not participating in government; they are not coming out to vote who is not a thief. And not going out to vote at all is a terrible thing to do, it actually gives you less power in a government.

Or let's say, out of 5 candidates, 2 are the best to choose from but because of tribal, religious sentiments or other form of sentiments that don't matter, you abandon these 2 to go and choose someone with questionable antecedents, and you want Nigeria to better? Good friend, it doesn't work that way, what you put in is what you put out.

Sugar does not give out salt simply because it is not in its nature to give salt. It can only give you what it is composed of, which is Sugar.

As naive as it is to adulate wealth, you go further to adulate one gotten from questionable sources, yet you get angry when you hear in the news that a government official that represents you defrauded the government (which is you) of huge money. Does that make any difference? No it doesn't .

You see, these things are interconnected. There is no magic wand to nation building, it takes conscious effort starting from self. If each and everyone works on ourselves, it will translate to a better nation.

If we can remove the log of wood in our eyes, we won't even need to remove the speck in the eyes of the government because we are the government and our eyes will be clear.

Elections are around the corner, and very soon politicians of different breeds will start canvassing for your vote. I just want to tell you that whoever you choose to vote is simply based on who you are.

You know this man is an ethnic jingoist, a tribal bigot, an active religious extremist or a silent supporter of one, or a man with questionable antecedents yet you suffocated your conscience to vote him.

Well you truly deserve whatever he dishes out to you. You can't even complain because you are a reflection of that person; you would perform exactly like that man you voted if you were to be in his position.

Today, the opportunity beckons on us all to start again.

Come to think of it, what is Nigeria?

Nigeria is just a concept, and the people who live within the geographical location of this concept are the carriers of the values that make up this concept. So even if you change the name from 'Nigeria' to maybe 'Goodland' or any other name you choose, nothing changes until the values of the carriers of this concept changes.

The summary of this whole thing is that we deserve a better nation.....we really do. But the journey starts if we start with renewed minds this year and beyond.

Happy new year once again.

ES

Lalasticlala

Re: New Year 2022, The Need For New Nigerians by cpu2006(m): 12:09pm On Jan 01, 2022
New Nigeria ko, Old Nigeria ni...... See, if I see who will buy your New Nigeria for 500k, I will sell it & use the money to buy Suya grin. Waiting concern me concern Nonsense
Re: New Year 2022, The Need For New Nigerians by EmekaStanley: 12:31pm On Jan 01, 2022
cpu2006:
New Nigeria ko, Old Nigeria ni...... See, if I see who will buy your New Nigeria for 500k, I will sell it & use the money to buy Suya grin. Waiting concern me concern Nonsense
Whatever country you are looking at, if you give up on it, it will still fail

(1) (Reply)

Ekiti Guber: Group Petitions APC Caretaker Chairman Over Fayemi, Fayosealleged S / Npower: We Are Still Asking. / Breaking: Governor Sanwo-olu Meets, Resolves Lagos Nurses' Crisis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.