Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,941 members, 7,946,076 topics. Date: Wednesday, 11 September 2024 at 12:13 PM

Why Governors Should Be Stripped Of Death Warrant Powers. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Governors Should Be Stripped Of Death Warrant Powers. (662 Views)

APC Convention: Why Governors Won’t Determine Who Becomes National Chairman / Ganduje: Why Governors Are Afraid Of Signing Death Warrants / DSS Begged Sowore To Accept 'Death Warrant' Deal - Falana (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Governors Should Be Stripped Of Death Warrant Powers. by Blue3k(m): 4:44pm On Jan 02, 2022
There’s a pressing need for criminal justice reform in Nigeria due to unaccountable executives, idle legislators, and faulty constitutional structures. The society must figure out if they believe the state should be trusted with the power to executive people. If the answer is yes, the process should be improved and governors delaying justice should not be tolerated. If the answer is no, reforms should be made to reflect that reality. There is a backlog in executions which increases prison congestion and unnecessary cost foisted on the federal government who must house and feed these inmates due to constitution constraints. State and federal legislators do have the option of solving these by simply removing redundancies or by eliminating the death penalty all together. The cost of housing prisoners should be left to the jurisdiction prosecuting the person hence the constitution should be amended moving prison out of the exclusive list.

Executions are currently being bottled necked by state governors who refuse to carry out the court’s judgements due to fears of wrongful convictions and suspicion of the court process as stated by Governor Ganduje. If they believed their own rhetoric on the subject, they would opt to commute the sentences or request their state’s assembly to abolish the capital punishment. The federal government should deduct those cost from the allocations those states since these altruistic governors are intentionally delaying justice and causing prison congestion. The best way to eliminate the bottle neck itself is to get the governors out of the execution process. Trial judges should simply be tasked with carrying out the process since they convicted the person after hearing all the evidence. They legislator will simply need to stipulate a time frame when execution date needs to be settled like 90 days after convictions barring any appeals in between.

The constitution needs amended so prisons are on the concurrent list. It will save the federal government money and to reflect the federal nature of Nigeria. Most capital crimes are state laws and not federal. It does not make sense to have a state courts, prosecutors and laws then send someone to federal prison when the federal government had no case with the person in question. States are increasingly passing laws that are not federal crimes like banning alcohol and open grazing. They are demanding a police force but not their own prisons oddly enough. The responsibility and cost of enforcing all these regulations should be on jurisdictions passing them. Doing this will free up federal funds for priority criminals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3fUtErDST4

Front page: Lalasticlala Mynd44

1 Share

Re: Why Governors Should Be Stripped Of Death Warrant Powers. by Georgry(m): 4:46pm On Jan 02, 2022
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]
Re: Why Governors Should Be Stripped Of Death Warrant Powers. by Asgard73: 4:53pm On Jan 02, 2022
Op I don’t think deathrow inmates are the problem..

90% of Nigeria inmates are on awaiting trial.. deathrow inmates don’t even make 12% of Nigeria inmates .

Awaiting trial are being denied justice for stupid reasons and they increase prison population by over 50%.

Na dem Dey drain federal government.. of which they’re not complaining.. becauE they make money from there.

Nigeria need prison reform, I don’t think a prison have been built in Nigeria in the last 45 years. And they keep increasing the numbers with same dilapidated environments.

Visit one today and understand
Re: Why Governors Should Be Stripped Of Death Warrant Powers. by Blue3k(m): 4:58pm On Jan 02, 2022
If Nigerians weren't so emotional about these sort of issues the answer would be easy to see. Reducing federal power and executives power is usually the right move. Nigeria goes wrong by doing everything half way. States don't have prisons so everyone is paying to house state and local level inmates..

I personally have no issue with the death penalty so these inmates should be executed as soon as the appeals run out. If you have an issue with judiciary either reform it or don't give them power to execute prisoners. My main issue allot of crimes shouldn't warrant a death penalty to begin with.
Re: Why Governors Should Be Stripped Of Death Warrant Powers. by Blue3k(m): 5:03pm On Jan 02, 2022
Asgard73:

90% of Nigeria inmates are on awaiting trial.. deathrow inmates don’t even make 12% of Nigeria inmates .

The topic isn't about awaiting trial inmates. Please try an stay focused if you can. I have another thread on that topic if you're interested. Anyway the death row convicts should be executed since they were convicted and run out of appeals. The federal government should need to foot the bill for this sort of foolishness especially considering the governors didnt commute their sentences officially.
Re: Why Governors Should Be Stripped Of Death Warrant Powers. by OreMI22: 5:05pm On Jan 02, 2022
Blue3k:

All of you plotting the destruction of the federal state of Nigeria under all sorts of smokescreens will eventually learn that it was to your disadvantage for Nigeria to become a unitary state. Now it seems a very perfect idea to destroy every shred of federalism in the union.
Re: Why Governors Should Be Stripped Of Death Warrant Powers. by Asgard73: 5:06pm On Jan 02, 2022
Blue3k:

The topic isn't about awaiting trial inmates. Please try an stay focused if you can. I have another thread on that topic if you're interested. Anyway the death row convicts should be executed since they were convicted and run out of appeals. The federal government should need to foot the bill for this sort of foolishness especially considering the governors didnt commute their sentences officially.

But you made mention of their numbers and stressed the decay and financial burden on federal
Re: Why Governors Should Be Stripped Of Death Warrant Powers. by Sammy07: 5:09pm On Jan 02, 2022
Asgard73:

Awaiting trial are being denied justice for stupid reasons and they increase prison population by over 50%.

Na dem Dey drain federal government.. of which they’re not complaining.. becauE they make money from there.

Nigeria need prison reform, I don’t think a prison have been built in Nigeria in the last 45 years. And they keep increasing the numbers with same dilapidated environments.

Visit one today and understand

First time in History, or this account has been hacked?

Happy New Year grin

1 Like

Re: Why Governors Should Be Stripped Of Death Warrant Powers. by Blue3k(m): 5:13pm On Jan 02, 2022
Asgard73:

But you made mention of their numbers and stressed the decay and financial burden on federal

The point stands they are a financial burden. Death row inmates not being the biggest financial burden is doesn't negate the facts presented. Justice still needs to be carried out by executing them and the Federal government should be paying to house state and local level inmates logically.

OreMI22:

All of you plotting the destruction of the federal state of Nigeria under all sorts of smokescreens will eventually learn that it was to your disadvantage for Nigeria to become a unitary state. Now it seems a very perfect idea to destroy every shred of federalism in the union.

I don't understand your nonsensical ramblings and baseless accusations. How does any introducing state prisons and shifting signing of executions to trial judges like I suggested destroy federalism? You clowns just like running your mouths.
Re: Why Governors Should Be Stripped Of Death Warrant Powers. by Asgard73: 5:20pm On Jan 02, 2022
Blue3k:

The point stands they are a financial burden. Death row inmates not being the biggest financial burden is doesn't negate the facts presented. Justice still needs to be carried out by executing them and the Federal government should be paying to house state and local level inmates logically.

Executing them?

Why killing when you can leave them to rot .. your reasons are not good enough.. we’re talking humAnity.
If you think they’re stressing federal purse and all.. reason those innocent ones locked in there for years.. some have spent 20 years awaiting trial.
Re: Why Governors Should Be Stripped Of Death Warrant Powers. by Asgard73: 5:21pm On Jan 02, 2022
Sammy07:

First time in History, or this account has been hacked?

Happy New Year grin

Sammy cool

Happy New Year bro.

We go resume soon grin
Re: Why Governors Should Be Stripped Of Death Warrant Powers. by Blue3k(m): 5:27pm On Jan 02, 2022
Asgard73:

Executing them?

Why killing when you can leave them to rot .. your reasons are not good enough.. we’re talking humAnity.
If you think they’re stressing federal purse and all.. reason those innocent ones locked in there for years.. some have spent 20 years awaiting trial.

You dont believe in executing people convicted of murder? I dont have an issue with the capital punishment it seems you do. Them being human doesn't matter to me since they did the crime. The money isn't the main issue the fact remains justice need to be carried out regardless for the victims of these criminals.

Again stay on topic awaiting trial inmates aren't the topic of the thread. Visit my other thread to rant on it.
Re: Why Governors Should Be Stripped Of Death Warrant Powers. by Asgard73: 5:29pm On Jan 02, 2022
Blue3k:

You dont believe in executing people convicted of murderers? I dont have an issue with the capital punishment it seems you do. Tgem being human doesn't matter to me since they did the crime. The money isn't the issue the fact remains justice need to be carried out regardless for the victims of these people.

Again stay on topic awaiting trial inmates aren't the topic of the thread. Visit my other thread to rant on it.

Okay sir

Enjoy your thread.. no be you go tell me how to comment for Nairaland when rules Dey .

Ignorant human
Re: Why Governors Should Be Stripped Of Death Warrant Powers. by Blue3k(m): 5:34pm On Jan 02, 2022
Asgard73:

Okay sir

Enjoy your thread.. no be you go tell me how to comment for Nairaland when rules Dey .

Ignorant human

Lol dont mad because you're scatter brained sir. It shouldn't be too hard to stay on topic unless you have ADD. Thanks for commenting though.
Re: Why Governors Should Be Stripped Of Death Warrant Powers. by Blue3k(m): 9:30am On Jan 03, 2022
It's weird how people support death penalty but don't ask does the state actually carry out these sentences. Recently Jigawa passed death penalty for rapist but im wondering why the celebration when they dont execute murderers. The state currently has 34 people on death row they haven't dealt.

I will point out the law does incentive the rapist to kill the child. The only evidence of rape is the kid so get rid the evidence. You're already facing death without the option of life so it really wouldn't matter.

Re: Why Governors Should Be Stripped Of Death Warrant Powers. by Blue3k(m): 5:37pm On Jul 25, 2022
Lol every day the court sentence someone to death and yet nobody can remember the last time a death warrant was signed. Clear them out of the prisons.

(1) (Reply)

Can Yahaya Bello Defeat Atiku In 2023? Fani-kayode Speaks / REACTIONS AS FFK SHARE A VIDEO OF HIM PLAYING WITH THE KIDS HE DENIED A MOM / Abubaker Deghayes Guilty Of Encouraging 'jihad By Sword'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.