Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,388 members, 7,940,476 topics. Date: Thursday, 05 September 2024 at 06:56 AM

Does God Still Talk To People Like He Used To In The Bible? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does God Still Talk To People Like He Used To In The Bible? (3850 Views)

What Is The Use Of Fasting,when God still Answer prayers with Full Stomach? / When Prayer Is Hard: 10 Bible Verses To Help You Talk To God / Questions? Comments? Complaints? Talk To The Moderators Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does God Still Talk To People Like He Used To In The Bible? by thehomer: 9:15pm On Jun 28, 2011
Image123:

So thehomer fancies the false prophet office.

Did God tell you any one was a false prophet?
Re: Does God Still Talk To People Like He Used To In The Bible? by thehomer: 9:18pm On Jun 28, 2011
noetic16:

I am tempted to say that your comment is both IDIOTIC  and unintelligent. .  . ,  . instead of saying that, I would like to ask, on what basis do u say that God does not speak to anyone? do u know God? did He tell u that He does not speak to anyone?

Maybe he cannot answer since he is neither a liar nor mentally ill. grin
Re: Does God Still Talk To People Like He Used To In The Bible? by mazee: 9:58pm On Jun 28, 2011
InesQor:

@mazee

How did God harden Pharaoh's heart?

This is the same question as, how does a ball fall hard when it is released from a great height?

It is "allowed" to do so. There is the natural law of gravity which makes things faster.

Pharaoh was worshipped in Egypt as the token or icon of Ra, the rising sun. It was a big insult for a man to show up and demand that slaves be allowed to go worship and serve another God. Bigger insult when its your adopted brother and childhood friend leading them. Biggest insult when this stammerer and weakling begins to wreak havoc with plagues and the people begin to believe him. In essence, Moses as a token beat Pharaoh as a token. So the God of Israel is superior to Ra. Nobody would take Egypt serious anymore.

God took the simple Moses to confound the excellent Pharaoh.

He allowed Pharaoh's pride to defeat him. That's the hardening. Maybe if He had shown up with a thousand angels and flaming swords and grenades, Pharaoh would have surrendered fast. But God hardened the guy's heart by sending mere pawns to face him. His pride and the name of Egypt made his heart hard.

In summary God hardened his heart by allowing his pride to drown him.

petres_007. The esteemed InesQor has taken a first cut

InesQor gave a good account that God hardened Pharaoh's heart by allowing Pharaoh's pride to drown Pharaoh

It would had been a bonus if InesQor, with simple and believable examples, had described how God actually hardened Pharaoh's heart

InesQor said "But God hardened the guy's heart by sending mere pawns to face him"

That is how God hardened Pharaoh's heart? Is that it?

petres_007, its a good dig but honestly thought InesQor will be more convincing, more credible, more elementary, more plausible than that

InesQor's facts are 100%. InesQor estimation or assessment of Pharaoh's psyche or physio mentally is spot on

It is the sequence of events on how exactly God hardened Pharaoh's heart that seems to be indescribable in what InesQor submitted

How God hardened Pharaoh's heart is beggaring description.

Pharaoh's increasingly inflating ego obviously was a factor, this in line with InesQor's flow but how and inconjunction with what if that maybe asked

How did God allow the heart to harden? How did He do it?

How did God achieve this? How did God allow? How?

[center]Keep thy heart more than anything that is guarded; for out of it are the issues of life - Pro 4:23[/center]
Re: Does God Still Talk To People Like He Used To In The Bible? by Nobody: 10:44pm On Jun 28, 2011
InesQor:

@mazee

How did God harden Pharaoh's heart?

This is the same question as, how does a ball fall hard when it is released from a great height?

It is "allowed" to do so. There is the natural law of gravity which makes things faster.

Pharaoh was worshipped in Egypt as the token or icon of Ra, the rising sun. It was a big insult for a man to show up and demand that slaves be allowed to go worship and serve another God. Bigger insult when its your adopted brother and childhood friend leading them. Biggest insult when this stammerer and weakling begins to wreak havoc with plagues and the people begin to believe him. In essence, Moses as a token beat Pharaoh as a token. So the God of Israel is superior to Ra. Nobody would take Egypt serious anymore.

God took the simple Moses to confound the excellent Pharaoh.

He allowed Pharaoh's pride to defeat him. That's the hardening. Maybe if He had shown up with a thousand angels and flaming swords and grenades, Pharaoh would have surrendered fast. But God hardened the guy's heart by sending mere pawns to face him. His pride and the name of Egypt made his heart hard.

In summary God hardened his heart by allowing his pride to drown him.

I do not think this argument answers the question. The Pharaoh at that point wanted to release the Israelite in spite of his pride. Pride had already lost out to reason. What exactly was the God character allowing to happen to change this dynamic.

In fact, the God character had to harden the Pharaohs heart multiple times. If he had so much control over the pharaohs will/actions then why not just manipulate the Pharaoh directly into releasing the slaves?
Re: Does God Still Talk To People Like He Used To In The Bible? by Nobody: 10:59pm On Jun 28, 2011
mazee:

The Ex 4:21 and Ex 7:3 texts are quoting God saying He will harden Pharaoh's heart

To the uninitiated or an uninformed reader of the texts, the sheer thought of God hardening people's hearts sounds like God is vindictive or cruel.

Of course God is not vindictive or cruel, He is not even remotely close.

God doesnt do vindictive or cruel, that's more up the devil's alley.

This is not true at all. The God character of the bible is quite cruel and vindictive.

Commanding followers right up front, to kill anyone who hates it.

Deuteronomy 7
7:9 Know therefore that the LORD thy God, he is God, the faithful God, which keepeth covenant and mercy with them that love him and keep his commandments to a thousand generations;
7:10 And repayeth them that hate him to their face, to destroy them: he will not be slack to him that hateth him, he will repay him to his face.

Telling its followers that it is a jealous being and will personally destroy completely anyone who worships another.

Deuteronomy 6
6:15 (For the LORD thy God is a jealous God among you) lest the anger of the LORD thy God be kindled against thee, and destroy thee from off the face of the earth

Deuteronomy 28:15-68. 29:19-20 are just one big list of curses. Under some circumstance all of them will be met out as punishment. Curses include people being forced to cannibalize their own children.

Deuteronomy 28
28:55 So that he will not give to any of them of the flesh of his children whom he shall eat: because he hath nothing left him in the siege, and in the straitness, wherewith thine enemies shall distress thee in all thy gates.

28:57 And toward her young one that cometh out from between her feet, and toward her children which she shall bear: for she shall eat them for want of all things secretly in the siege and straitness, wherewith thine enemy shall distress thee in thy gates.

If one ignores the God character, it will actually take pleasure in your suffering and do nothing about it.

Proverbs 1
1:26 I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh;
1:27 When your fear cometh as desolation, and your destruction cometh as a whirlwind; when distress and anguish cometh upon you.
1:28 Then shall they call upon me, but I will not answer; they shall seek me early, but they shall not find me:

More eating of children

Ezekiel 5
5:10 Therefore the fathers shall eat the sons in the midst of thee, and the sons shall eat their fathers; and I will execute judgments in thee, and the whole remnant of thee will I scatter into all the winds.

Hosts of other verses of the bible show that the God character in the Bible is very cruel and very vindictive.
Re: Does God Still Talk To People Like He Used To In The Bible? by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:19pm On Jun 28, 2011
@poster. no he doesn. due to the current technological advancement, he uses special made-in-Japan wireless devices to communicate to us Earth-dwellerz.
Re: Does God Still Talk To People Like He Used To In The Bible? by mazee: 11:55pm On Jun 28, 2011
Idehn:

This is not true at all. The God character of the bible is quite cruel and vindictive.

Commanding followers right up front, to kill anyone who hates it.

Telling its followers that it is a jealous being and will personally destroy completely anyone who worships another.
Deuteronomy 28:15-68. 29:19-20 are just one big list of curses. Under some circumstance all of them will be met out as punishment. Curses include people being forced to cannibalize their own children.
If one ignores the God character, it will actually take pleasure in your suffering and do nothing about it.
More eating of children
Hosts of other verses of the bible show that the God character in the Bible is very cruel and very vindictive.

Idehn. Dont get the wrong end of the stick, you are misunderstanding what was happening in all those referenced verses

Who or what do you deem is better than God?

So God's morale fiber is under scrutiny now? Is it?

What is blessing? What is curse?

Anyway "The hosts of other verses of the bible show that the God character in the Bible is very cruel and very vindictive" is a trumped up charge.

When we eventually work out, how God hardened Pharaoh's heart, you'll find that your premise that God is cruel and vindictive will fall flat on it's face

[center]And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God any longer, God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do those things which are not proper Romans 1:28[/center]
Re: Does God Still Talk To People Like He Used To In The Bible? by InesQor(m): 12:01am On Jun 29, 2011
@Idehn: Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

@mazee: Hmmm let me see. God hardened his heart by[i] NOT overriding[/i] his freewill? I think Pharaoh was the active participant in the hardening? A natural consequence?

As for how exactly, I may need to give that some more thought. smiley

ETA: I think the natural tendency is for things to go upside-down but God stabilizes things when he so-desires. He does not owe it to you to stabilize things when man gets himself in a mess, so if he doesn't; things will be real rough. Or something.  wink
Re: Does God Still Talk To People Like He Used To In The Bible? by Joagbaje(m): 8:35am On Jun 29, 2011
@inesQor
Pls can I have your email ? You can send it to my box Thanks.
Re: Does God Still Talk To People Like He Used To In The Bible? by InesQor(m): 1:15pm On Aug 29, 2011
Hello Joagbaje.

I sent the email 2 months ago. I really wonder why you asked for my email and yet did not use it. *shrugs*
Re: Does God Still Talk To People Like He Used To In The Bible? by Nobody: 5:02pm On Aug 29, 2011
I believe God still speaks to people for my Bible says that God has n can never change, he is the same yesterday, today and forever kiss

(1) (2) (Reply)

Witchcraft In The Church / Help Me In Prayers As I Sit For Yet Anoder Jamb Tomarrow! / Why Are Jesus' Genealogy In Matthew And Luke So Different?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.