Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,878 members, 7,942,196 topics. Date: Friday, 06 September 2024 at 11:55 PM

How Is The Desert North More Populated Than The Tropical South? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Is The Desert North More Populated Than The Tropical South? (2011 Views)

Ondo state is more populated than imo ,zamfara,katsina On Satellite Pictures / Buhari's Appointments Favoured The North More - New Telegraph / Southern Nigeria Is Far More Populated Than The North! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Is The Desert North More Populated Than The Tropical South? by aribisala0(m): 12:00pm On Jan 05, 2022
Blue3k:

Lol your comment is nonsensical when its already proven the north no matter how you define it isn't a desert. I already explained what a desert is and gave you the avg annual rainfall of major northern cities and map showing avg rainfall across the country. You're projecting if you're claiming my thread is based on emotion when you didn't debunk on fact I presented just strawman arguments I never claimed.

Geographical north is arguments is interesting
but irrelevant when you know geopolitical regions are being discussed.

If your claim is geopolitical why bring in desert and rainfall ?

You are clearly being mischievous

Why the contradiction
Is the North desert or not? Then what is the reason for the title of the thread?
What is the relevance of deserts and rainfall if not geography
f those things matter then you must confine yourself to a geographical argument

Oyo state is more northern than Benue State
Benue is politically in the North but geographically it is in the south
Re: How Is The Desert North More Populated Than The Tropical South? by Blue3k(m): 12:10pm On Jan 05, 2022
aribisala0:

If your claim is geopolitical why bring in desert and rainfall ?

You are clearly being mischievous

Why the contradiction
Is the North desert or not? Then what is the reason for the title of the thread?
What is the relevance of deserts and rainfall if not geography

Stop confusing yourself. Geopolitical regions are still places so you have to define the climate of those places by the rainfall if its a desert. Lol the north is not a desert. Dont be dense the north gets too much rain to be considered one. Desert and rainfall define geography and climate dont over think it. The title simply served click bait. You should learn to read past the headlines.

Lol why are you asking me what a desert is after emphatically stating the north is one? You should have a clue before doing that. The geographic north and south argument is irrelevant because the climate proves you wrong either way.
Re: How Is The Desert North More Populated Than The Tropical South? by paramakina202: 12:17pm On Jan 05, 2022
Blue3k:
Certain people like to ask how can desert northern Nigeria be more populated that tropical southern Nigeria. That argument rest on two false premises that are easily be refuted with common sense or some basic research. Northern Nigeria isn’t a desert and most of Nigeria is tropical savannah. Nigeria also has extensive river system that can easily support its large population. Note none of this tells which population is larger at any given time that’s why the census is conducted.

A desert is a place that gets less than 250 mm of rain per year. (Map below)

Most of northern Nigeria is Tropical wet and dry climate type with semi-arid climate in the northern most parts of the northwestern and northeastern Nigeria. Only a sliver of Borno is desert at the border of Niger Republic. (Map below)

List of major Northern cities and avg yearly rainfall:
Kano, Kano – 674 mm
Jos, Plateau - 1240 mm
Ilorin, Kwara - 852 mm
Abuja FCT - 1469 mm
Kaduna, Kaduna – 998 mm
Maiduguri, Borno – 466 mm
Bauchi, Bauchi – 1122 mm
Sokoto, Sokoto – 398 mm
Yola, Adamawa – 624 mm
Minna, Niger – 1161 mm
Lafia, Nasarawa – 1061 mm
Jalingo, Taraba – 602 mm
Katsina, Katsina – 437 mm
Mubi, Adamawa – 853 mm
Makurdi, Benue – 983 mm
Gombe, Gombe – 437 mm
Birnin Kebbi, Kebbi – 467 mm
Gusau, Zamfara – 577 mm
Dutse, Jigawa – 638 mm
Lokoja, Kogi – 1167 mm

Your mate for Kano don marry 3rd wife with 9 children and planing to marry 4th wife before he hits 30 years old that is the magic.
Re: How Is The Desert North More Populated Than The Tropical South? by aribisala0(m): 12:18pm On Jan 05, 2022
Blue3k:

Stop confusing yourself. Geopolitical regions are still places so you have to define the climate of those places by the rainfall if its a desert. Lol the north is not a desert. Dont be dense the north gets too much rain to be considered one. Desert and rainfall define geography and climate dont over think it. The title simply served click bait. You should learn to read past the headlines.
What does that word Geopolitical mean? Apart from trying to make your self sound smart it is redundant to the extent that we do not have an agreed definition . Define it
Where have I said the North is a desert? You are arguing with yourself
The point is simple

If rainfall, being a desert , geographical variables etc is relevant to population then we must compare like with like with like
It does not matter whether we are talking of the population of Humans or Sheep
The common denominator is access to food and water

Oyo and Benue cannot be on different sides of the divide if we are talking of rainfall/deserts and other geographical variables
Re: How Is The Desert North More Populated Than The Tropical South? by Blue3k(m): 12:27pm On Jan 05, 2022
aribisala0:

What does that word Geopolitical mean? Apart from trying to make your self sound smart it is redundant to the extent that we do not have an agreed definition . Define it

The point is simple

If rainfall, being a desert , geographical variables etc is relevant to population then we must compare like with like with like
It does not matter whether we are talking of the population of Humans or Sheep
The common denominator is access to food and water

Oyo and Benue cannot be on different sides of the divide if we are talking of rainfall/deserts and other geographical variables

Geopolitical means political defined by geography. Northern Nigeria is defined by it being historically part of the northern protectorate. You're rambling like and like are being compared you see it on the map showing the yearly rainfall showing its not a desert. You see the river network showing the access to water.

aribisala0:

Is the North desert or not?

Lol why are you asking me what a desert is after emphatically stating the north is one? You should have a clue before doing that. The geographic north and south argument is irrelevant because the climate proves you wrong either way.
Re: How Is The Desert North More Populated Than The Tropical South? by IGBOSON1: 12:33pm On Jan 05, 2022
LLiKYekoba:
This yoruba guy don dey revise history because he wants presidency.. grin

If Ibos were the ones indigenous to the desert north, would you not mocking them everyday?

Hehehehehe grin grin grin

Had Igbos been the ones indigenous to a state like Kano....with all other variables remaining constant, they would have long declared the population of the state so tiny that you could fit them all in a phone-box! shocked
Re: How Is The Desert North More Populated Than The Tropical South? by IGBOSON1: 12:38pm On Jan 05, 2022
paramakina202:

Your mate for Kano don marry 3rd wife with 9 children and planing to marry 4th wife before he hits 30 years old that is the magic.

Must be the buruntashi! There’s something to be said for the potency of that herbal drug! lipsrsealed
Re: How Is The Desert North More Populated Than The Tropical South? by Sergio101(m): 12:44pm On Jan 05, 2022
aribisala0:
cryI want to believe that you are basing your opinion on Geography and not politics or sentiment
Let us start with definition
What is "NORTH"
Northern Nigeria was a political administrative colony of Britain

Northern Nigeria does not correspond to Geographical North
LOOK AT THE MAP

GEOGRAPHICAL North of any space is determined by drawing a line LATITUDE/EQUATOR through the MIDDLE of the space dividing it EQUALLY
50:50

The geographical north of Nigeria will involve a latitude going through Abuja
Dividing the country 50:50
The Geographical South of Nigeria will include
Kogi
Nasarawa
Kwara
Plateau
Taraba
Adamawa

Political North is different from Geographical North. Oyo is more Northern Geographically than Benue
In other words the Geographical South has 22 or 23 states

And so the the population of the Geographical South is way higher than that of the Geographical North

So your premise is wrong

FACTUALLY

With regard to the North being a desert? What is the basis for this how do you explain a desert producing more food than NON_DESERT

Recent activities of bandits in the Norths tell us they are "HIDING IN FORESTS"

How is that possible in a desert

Your thread is based on sentiment, hate and other irrational emotions
Re: How Is The Desert North More Populated Than The Tropical South? by paramakina202: 12:58pm On Jan 05, 2022
IGBOSON1:

Must be the buruntashi! There’s something to be said for the potency of that herbal drug! lipsrsealed

They don't joke with buruntashi.

1 Like

Re: How Is The Desert North More Populated Than The Tropical South? by aribisala0(m): 1:21pm On Jan 05, 2022
Blue3k:

Geopolitical means political defined by geography. Northern Nigeria is defined by it being historically part of the northern protectorate. You're rambling like and like are being compared you see it on the map showing the yearly rainfall showing its not a desert. You see the river network showing the access to water.

Then you are being mischievous with the title of the thread and just seeking attention foolishly

You talked about Tropical south and Desert North

Those are not political issues

Bottomline
The North is not a desert
If you want to talk about the politics of population then do not bring in that geography into it
Re: How Is The Desert North More Populated Than The Tropical South? by Blue3k(m): 1:32pm On Jan 05, 2022
aribisala0:

Then you are being mischievous with the title of the thread and just seeking attention foolishly

You talked about Tropical south and Desert North

Those are not political issues

Bottomline
The North is not a desert
If you want to talk about the politics of population then do not bring in that geography into it

Lol you're blaming me because you can't read past the title before spouting nonsense? After all your foolish comments about geographic north vs South you had to finally admit the north isn't a desert like you first claimed. BTW I already explained in first paragraph the bigger population can only be found through a census. The point of the thread and title is to debunk idiots.

How so you talking about population without addressing geography? Lol only a mumu thinks these facts can be divorced from each other.
Re: How Is The Desert North More Populated Than The Tropical South? by aribisala0(m): 1:37pm On Jan 05, 2022
Blue3k:

Lol you're blaming me because you can't read past the title before spouting nonsense? After all your foolish comments about geographic north vs South you had to finally admit the north isn't a desert like you first claimed. BTW I already explained in first paragraph the bigger population can only be found through a census. The point of the thread and title is to debunk idiots.

How so you talking about population without addressing geography? Lol only a mumu thinks these facts can be divorced from each other.
Who is the fool here ?

From my first contribution on this thread I asserted that the North is not a desert.
Everything I have said has reinforced that.

I also emphasized the importance of definitions i.e difference between political and geographical north

Your whole enterprise on this thread is just attention seeking twaddle typical of jobless bloggers
Re: How Is The Desert North More Populated Than The Tropical South? by Blue3k(m): 1:47pm On Jan 05, 2022
aribisala0:
Who is the fool here ?

From my first contribution on this thread I asserted that the North is not a desert.
Everything I have said has reinforced that.

I also emphasized the importance of definitions i.e difference between political and geographical north

Your whole enterprise on this thread is just attention seeking twaddle typical of jobless bloggers

Ok the political north vs geographic north make no difference to the arguments I made. Second population is counted in states and states zoned via political boundaries thats the reality. Cuting the country in half and counting that way would get different results but thats not how its done.
Re: How Is The Desert North More Populated Than The Tropical South? by aribisala0(m): 1:50pm On Jan 05, 2022
Blue3k:

Ok the political north vs geographic north make no difference to the arguments I made. Second population is counted in states and states zoned via political boundaries thats the reality. Cuting the country in half and counting that way would get different results but thats not how its done.
Then remove the issue of desert and geography so we know we are talking politics
Stop trying to be clever by half

You are just an attention seeker
Re: How Is The Desert North More Populated Than The Tropical South? by Blue3k(m): 2:02pm On Jan 05, 2022
aribisala0:
Then remove the issue of desert and geography so we know we are talking politics
Stop trying to be clever by half

You are just an attention seeker

No you're just clown that didn't read past the headline take responsibility. The desert and geography topic was referenced in the original post so no need to remove it. You know north abd south are defined by their political boundaries for historical reasons. The headlines stays end of story.
Re: How Is The Desert North More Populated Than The Tropical South? by adecz: 2:34pm On Jan 05, 2022
⏩The South has a high population
density while the north has a lower
density due to their large land mass,
so, it appears the north is not heavily
populated.

⏩For example, imagine that all the
millions of Igbos, the land area or size
of their five combined States is not up
to Kano, Kaduna, or even any single
state in Northern Nigeria.

⏩Again, imagine that you take 200 people
And crowd them unto a lawn tennis court
& you take 400 and put in a football pitch,
it will look as if there are more people
on the tennis court because of the density.

⏩The whole of Lagos State may not be
up to 3 local government area in some
States.

Finally, the Muslim north breed like
rats or rabbits. A beggar may have 4
wives and 27 children who he has no
plans to take responsibility for.

An average family will have 5 to 10
children that receive no training
whatsoever. They just believe in an
unproductive population to show the
south.
Re: How Is The Desert North More Populated Than The Tropical South? by mrvitalis(m): 2:42pm On Jan 05, 2022
Ammishaddai:
The North has a strong population-breeding program that comes from Islamic teachings and fundamentalism. This is the sole reason it has more population
Niger ,Chad , Mali , and the rest don't have this culture ? Yet what's there population ?

Compare Nigeria population distribution north to south to benin , Togo , Ghana , ivory cost , Cameroon you see it's obviously flawed

3 Likes

Re: How Is The Desert North More Populated Than The Tropical South? by Landlord97: 4:48pm On Jan 05, 2022
aribisala0:
This is sentimental nonsense with no evidential basis
How do you explain the population of Nigeria compared to the rest of Africa or even West Africa?
There is no "pattern" across the globe
How come this "desert" is exporting food to the rain forest?
How do you explain all the "forests" where bandits are hiding?

The simple truth is that geographically the south of Nigeria has 22- 23 states and not the 17 that are in the Political south
Aribisala if a proper and truthful census is conducted, you will realised that the northern Nigeria have been fucking we southern Nigeria, mercilessly with concocted lies and dubious facts of their imaginary population.
See i was born and grew up in Gombe state, they will tell you Gombe has more population than Ekiti Akwaibom and Ebonyi arrant nonsense those aforementioned state's are twice the populace of Gombe,I lived almost all my love there in Gombe but i must tell you,I was to the populace in those states to compare what was told to us , from that day onwards i begin to doubt the credibility of the NIGERIAN STATE.

2 Likes

Re: How Is The Desert North More Populated Than The Tropical South? by aribisala0(m): 4:54pm On Jan 05, 2022
Landlord97:
Aribisala if a proper and truthful census is conducted, you will realised that the northern Nigeria have been fucking we southern Nigeria, mercilessly with concocted lies and dubious facts of their imaginary population.
See i was born and grew up in Gombe state, they will tell you Gombe has more population than Ekiti Akwaibom and Ebonyi arrant nonsense those aforementioned state's are twice the populace of Gombe,I lived almost all my love there in Gombe but i must tell you,I was to the populace in those states to compare what was told to us , from that day onwards i begin to doubt the credibility of the NIGERIAN STATE.
It is possible you are correct ? but arguments must be based on evidence, facts and analysis not sentiment
You are just saying what you believe because you do not like the figures

My mind is open.

The point I am making though is a bit different

What is the definition of Northern Nigeria is it Geographical North or Political North?
Re: How Is The Desert North More Populated Than The Tropical South? by aribisala0(m): 7:28am On Jan 06, 2022
mrvitalis:

Niger ,Chad , Mali , and the rest don't have this culture ? Yet what's there population ?

Compare Nigeria population distribution north to south to benin , Togo , Ghana , ivory cost , Cameroon you see it's obviously flawed
Not true
Those of you making this comparison are not honest wth yourselves. You are biassed and impervious to all evidence or rationality
The South of Nigeria if you want to compare with those countries has to be the geographical south which would include Benue, Kogi, Nasarawa, Adamawa, Taraba some parts of Niger State, Kwara and Plateau state
The South or North has to be defined by drawing a line through the middle and dividing the country 50:50

and then you will find that the south is much more populated than the North. Cameroon is not West Africa and is different

The other thing is the SHAPE of Nigeria.
Compare the shape of Togo or Benin which is like a parallelogram to Nigeria which is much wider in the North.
Re: How Is The Desert North More Populated Than The Tropical South? by Nobody: 7:41am On Jan 06, 2022
Ammishaddai:
The North has a strong population-breeding program that comes from Islamic teachings and fundamentalism. This is the sole reason it has more population

Nigeria is the only country in the world with more people in arid, and semi desert regions than in the coastal regions.

We aren't exceptional, my brother.
Re: How Is The Desert North More Populated Than The Tropical South? by Nobody: 7:43am On Jan 06, 2022
adecz:

⏩The South has a high population
density while the north has a lower
density due to their large land mass,
so, it appears the north is not heavily
populated.

⏩For example, imagine that all the
millions of Igbos, the land area or size
of their five combined States is not up
to Kano, Kaduna, or even any single
state in Northern Nigeria.

⏩Again, imagine that you take 200 people
And crowd them unto a lawn tennis court
& you take 400 and put in a football pitch,
it will look as if there are more people
on the tennis court because of the density.

⏩The whole of Lagos State may not be
up to 3 local government area in some
States.

Finally, the Muslim north breed like
rats or rabbits. A beggar may have 4
wives and 27 children who he has no
plans to take responsibility for.

An average family will have 5 to 10
children that receive no training
whatsoever. They just believe in an
unproductive population to show the
south.

What's the population of Algeria?
Re: How Is The Desert North More Populated Than The Tropical South? by aribisala0(m): 2:54pm On Jan 06, 2022
Kabongo1:

Nigeria is the only country in the world with more people in arid, and semi desert regions than in the coastal regions.

We aren't exceptional, my brother.
Can you substantiate this with evidence?
Your claim is false
The southern part of Nigeria is more populated than the northern part
The issue of arid desert regions versus coastal regions is just nonsense .
Mambilla Plateau is bigger than Lagos State. It has more rainfall than Lagos State
The Two Major Rivers in Nigeria enter from the North and run most of their course in the North
Lake Chad is in the North
Norther Nigeria is desert you say and we are hearing of bandits hiding in forests
Forest in Kaduna , in Niger in Sokoto , In Borno.Hmm

At any rate even at that if you define Nigeria into a geographical north and south( since you are talking geography) the geographical South is more populated
The other flaw with your comparison is the AREA of land covered . If you want to compare compare an EQUAL area of land.

The north as we know it is 4 times the size of the south
Is that a logical comparison?
Re: How Is The Desert North More Populated Than The Tropical South? by Nobody: 11:22am On Jan 16, 2022
aribisala0:
Can you substantiate this with evidence?
Your claim is false
The southern part of Nigeria is more populated than the northern part
The issue of arid desert regions versus coastal regions is just nonsense .
Mambilla Plateau is bigger than Lagos State. It has more rainfall than Lagos State
The Two Major Rivers in Nigeria enter from the North and run most of their course in the North
Lake Chad is in the North
Norther Nigeria is desert you say and we are hearing of bandits hiding in forests
Forest in Kaduna , in Niger in Sokoto , In Borno.Hmm

At any rate even at that if you define Nigeria into a geographical north and south( since you are talking geography) the geographical South is more populated
The other flaw with your comparison is the AREA of land covered . If you want to compare compare an EQUAL area of land.

The north as we know it is 4 times the size of the south
Is that a logical comparison?

Name a country with more people in arid regions than the coast.

Let's be clear as well, your first and second statements don't seem to align, please clarify.

In addition,where in the world do you have more people in the desert than in the coastal regions?

Thanks in advance.

(1) (2) (Reply)

If APC Fields Amaechi And PDP Fields Anyim Who Will Igbos Vote / 10 Tinubu Sponsored Aspirants To Step Down For Him / Atiku And Obi Currently on Political Fishing In Tinubu's Territory

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.