Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,715 members, 7,918,203 topics. Date: Monday, 12 August 2024 at 04:04 AM

Is It A Cultural Thing For African Websites To Be Ugly And Unusable? - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Is It A Cultural Thing For African Websites To Be Ugly And Unusable? (3229 Views)

Enyata Wants To Build A Sustainable Community For African Software Engineers / Top 20 Websites To Learn Coding With Java, Python, SQL, Algorithms, And Git For / Websites To Learn How To Code For Free (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It A Cultural Thing For African Websites To Be Ugly And Unusable? by qtguru(m): 2:12pm On Jan 13, 2022
Also I checked your Figma that was a nice design, you can make money definetely

1 Like

Re: Is It A Cultural Thing For African Websites To Be Ugly And Unusable? by niel63(m): 2:12pm On Jan 13, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Bros you need to be selling these things men. They will move on themeforest.

Once I finish am... i go really consider am.
Re: Is It A Cultural Thing For African Websites To Be Ugly And Unusable? by niel63(m): 2:55pm On Jan 13, 2022
qtguru:

Join our slack, we will give you the ginger to do it, I want to design Shopify Themes but not Storefront, that is good money there bro, you are on the right path.

Join our slack, and we will share more resources, NL is restricted so there's little I can do here

Alright... how do I join?
Re: Is It A Cultural Thing For African Websites To Be Ugly And Unusable? by qtguru(m): 3:22pm On Jan 13, 2022

1 Like

Re: Is It A Cultural Thing For African Websites To Be Ugly And Unusable? by Maxxim: 3:25pm On Jan 13, 2022
Re: Is It A Cultural Thing For African Websites To Be Ugly And Unusable? by qtguru(m): 4:34pm On Jan 13, 2022
Maxxim:

Can I also join?

Sure everyone is invited as long as we are civil towards each other
Re: Is It A Cultural Thing For African Websites To Be Ugly And Unusable? by Deicide: 6:47pm On Jan 13, 2022
Who cares if it's beautiful or not as long as it works am ok. But what I have a problem with is the servers. Registering for anything in this country is a war especially when large amount of people want to do the same. Take NYSC registration for example, that stuff is a pain in the Ass. Back then when I was still in UNI just to click for accomodations is war because the server is to slow, it may take to up to 6 hours before you can even click anything. Gosh this is so annoying and yes they have the money and with technology improvement, you could even get a high bandwidth server to use just for a day and then switch back to your default server after everything is over that way you don't end up spending too much but no. I don't even understand what is happening.
Re: Is It A Cultural Thing For African Websites To Be Ugly And Unusable? by Deicide: 6:58pm On Jan 13, 2022
And what's up with all this government site and your have to install this particular version of Java or dotnet before it can work?
Re: Is It A Cultural Thing For African Websites To Be Ugly And Unusable? by Maxxim: 7:36pm On Jan 13, 2022
qtguru:

Sure everyone is invited as long as we are civil towards each other
Aiit there won't be prob,
thanks
Re: Is It A Cultural Thing For African Websites To Be Ugly And Unusable? by stanliwise(m): 5:51pm On Jan 14, 2022
Rgade:
I think it’s because the older generation of tech clients in Nigeria is yet to acknowledge and respect the position of UI/UX in web design.
You can’t tell me that those sites were designed by a UI guy. An average (even a mediocre) Nigerian UI/UX guy can deliver far better products than majority of what we see online. And these guys aren’t even expensive at all.
On LinkedIn I see Nigerian product designers pulling off mad concepts everyday, but you just don’t get to see these products actualized in reality; except in new startups anyway.
The old moneybags simply don’t believe in the existence of product designers.
First technical comment so far

1 Like

Re: Is It A Cultural Thing For African Websites To Be Ugly And Unusable? by Hotspotbro(m): 1:48pm On Jan 15, 2022
And the way they have serious Issues like the comment section allowing HTML and SQL injections

1 Like

Re: Is It A Cultural Thing For African Websites To Be Ugly And Unusable? by duyilekan98(m): 3:31pm On Jan 15, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

It is not just government, even businesses all have terrible sites.

https://vicprop.com.au/

This is a site we did at work. Look at the design

Now compared to property pro https://www.propertypro.ng/

Nigerians dont even engage a UI UX designer before they even go to building a site

Property Pro should sue their JavaScript developer for those bullshit slideshows grin grin

1 Like

Re: Is It A Cultural Thing For African Websites To Be Ugly And Unusable? by duyilekan98(m): 3:49pm On Jan 15, 2022
Deicide:
Who cares if it's beautiful out not as long as it works am ok. But what I have a problem with is the servers. Registering for anything in this country is a way especially when large amount of people want to do the same. Take NYSC registration for example, that stuff is a pain in the Ass. Back then when I was still in UNI just to click for accomodations is war because the server is to slow, it may take to up to 6 hours before you can even click anything. Gosh this is so annoying and yes they have the money and with technology improvement, you could even get a high bandwidth server to use just for a day and then switch back to your default server after everything is over that way you don't end up spending too much but no. I don't even understand what is happening.

I remember back in the days when I was learning website hacking, I decided to practice with one state website like that, I think it was Ondo state, I got on their server and saw there was also a biscuit company website on their server. Can you imagine! Also the biscuit website was just as crappy and ugly as the state website.
Re: Is It A Cultural Thing For African Websites To Be Ugly And Unusable? by Rick9(m): 10:15pm On Jan 17, 2022
Nigeria Standards is too low for my liking reason I don't like alot of things about this country, our aesthetic sense is so dull and grossly appaling.
No wonder alot of places in Nigeria are so dirty and ugly looking. Make I do comot here abeg. I hate dirtiness and ugliness, it ain't good for my mental health.
Re: Is It A Cultural Thing For African Websites To Be Ugly And Unusable? by niel63(m): 8:57pm On Jan 18, 2022
duyilekan98:

Property Pro should sue their JavaScript developer for those bullshit slideshows grin grin

Observation steady!!!

I actually just checked the site again and couldn't imagine I didn't even notice it? E wan use slides wpund person on one page ooo! How many come be the total slide show for the full website.
Re: Is It A Cultural Thing For African Websites To Be Ugly And Unusable? by islamics(m): 9:22pm On Jan 18, 2022
Deicide:
Who Back then when I was still in UNI just to click for accomodations is war because the server is to slow, it may take to up to 6 hours before you can even click anything.
This is still happening till today. I was just wondering recently as it occurs to me that what then is the work of the ICT if they cannot scale for traffic.
Re: Is It A Cultural Thing For African Websites To Be Ugly And Unusable? by duyilekan98(m): 9:56pm On Feb 03, 2022
niel63:

Observation steady!!!

I actually just checked the site again and couldn't imagine I didn't even notice it? E wan use slides wpund person on one page ooo! How many come be the total slide show for the full website.

I dey tell you. Almost 10 slideshows on one page alone. And the transition of the slideshow no kan make any sense.
Re: Is It A Cultural Thing For African Websites To Be Ugly And Unusable? by Oem18(m): 1:41pm On Feb 15, 2022
Re: Is It A Cultural Thing For African Websites To Be Ugly And Unusable? by Oem18(m): 1:43pm On Feb 15, 2022
Re: Is It A Cultural Thing For African Websites To Be Ugly And Unusable? by Tabletopdog: 4:32am On Aug 10, 2023
niel63:
Let me contribute my own token of experience with the government website. This story is sadly true.

I was at federal secretariat abuja sometime early 2020. I was quite opportune to see some people who'd promise you heaven and earth just because they are seeing you. But once you leave... Pele my dear. grin

So, talk dey bring talk and I mentioned what I do and surprisingly, this dude asked to see my portfolio. I went ahead to show him my work then. He was amazed and impressed, and I mentioned to him, the pandemic of all Nigerian government websites. The guy laughed and laughed... he said my brother, there are things in this country no single individual has the power to change.
He took me to one of the offices and greeted a guy there, me sef I follow greet the guy. cheesy

Hahhaah... when we came out, he said to me, that's the guy doing your job. And he went ahead to open the current url the guy was working on. Omorrrr... the thing be like curse. I said, shey you see you can't compare my work with what is done here, that he should let me bring in something better since he obviously affirmed mine was 100x better and he smiled and said, he wishes he had that power to make such decisions. He said, shebi I see say na their brother dey do my work too... ?

He opened up a file and showed me an outline and said every website within the government sector MUST follow a particular templating system(color theme, font, images, design pattern and all...). If you deviate in any way, na you know ooo. And from what I saw, I'm sure that template guideline was introduced when Nigeria gained her independence. grin

Truth is, in the Government, the capable ones are either not picked or kept very quiet while working with the people that owns it.

And when you're picked as the capable one, it's just like US military for certain immigrants... you no fit reach a particular level lai lai.

This dude said to me that he practically does all the work while his boss just party and live life as a f**King minister. cry

From the templating system you need to follow, down to people doing the work. My brother no be our country be this. Who ever told you we are equals anyway? But finally, what to do?

The dude that we had the long discussion is a yoruba guy, my first time of meeting him and baba was so down to earth and welcoming., I only accompanied a lady down there and that's where I saw people chopping our money without sense. Agonising really.

That was even when I first heard about the national youth empowerment fund even before it was publicised I guess. Thinking I'd jump on the opportunity.... But in this country, you got to know some top top people that owns the country ooo otherwise you no go win any contract or office ooo! Even the dude was on a becareful mode... grin

So all government websites being ugly and static are actually very intentiional. undecided

Sorry to resurrect this thread. But I agree with your sentiments exactly. Also, I have connections (technocrats) in this new administration that may be more amenable to your concerns and have real power to effect change. Are you full stack or front end only? Putting together a business plan and would love to see your work. If you’re interested, please Respond and we can connect.

Thanks
Re: Is It A Cultural Thing For African Websites To Be Ugly And Unusable? by niel63(m): 10:01am On Aug 10, 2023
Tabletopdog:

Sorry to resurrect this thread. But I agree with your sentiments exactly. Also, I have connections (technocrats) in this new administration that may be more amenable to your concerns and have real power to effect change. Are you full stack or front end only? Putting together a business plan and would love to see your work. If you’re interested, please Respond and we can connect.

Thanks

Oh why not? It's what I know how to do best in this world. I'd say I'm a fullstack but recently, I read an article on Medium about the argument of being a fullstack when in fact, we're actually product engineers.
Taking a small snippet from the post,

"Product Engineers work backwards from the desired product experience to the set of technologies that enable it. They consider the frontend, backend, design, and everything in between to create a great user experience."

I'd be more than happy to share my ideas and experiences.
I am connecting with you now.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Drupal Vs Codeigniter Which To Use? / EMV Chip Cloning Software / How To Make Copyright Symbol In Vb.net

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.