Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,852 members, 7,899,027 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 July 2024 at 03:32 AM

Most Romanticized City In Nigeria - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Most Romanticized City In Nigeria (10091 Views)

PHOTOS: Why Lagos Is The Craziest City In World / A City In Nigeria With 24/7 Electricity Supply! / Best City In Nigeria To Live In? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Most Romanticized City In Nigeria by N101: 10:40am On Jun 19, 2011
I'm  not sure how Lagos could be equated to "romantic". Since when did congested, overcrowded, bad roads become romantic?  

If you mean places in a city, then I would say Lekki Conservation Centre is a beautiful oasis in Lagos - you forget you're in Lagos when you're there.  I could stay there for a whole day  cool

Calabar is a place I would love to visit.
Re: Most Romanticized City In Nigeria by BABE3: 10:42am On Jun 19, 2011
bidemi12:

Errrm---it means taking long strols without without dodging vehicles and hoping fumes dont you. It means observing the mountain side as you lay on your back strarring at the moon while trying to woo the one you love. It means. . . . .well you get the point. Club hoping is not part of it.

Errmm--- That's what it means to you Sir. Some people may find your list cheesy and lame and far from romantic. Romantic, again, is a subjective word. Club hoping is romantic to some people---Dodging vehicles is romantic to some people---

If I find "taking walks" and "staring at mountains" like creeps romantic, then there's no way I would view Lagos as a romanticized city---so again, it's all about individual's views.
Re: Most Romanticized City In Nigeria by Kelvinj(m): 10:52am On Jun 19, 2011
o'town most def is, as long as u have the chadas!!
Re: Most Romanticized City In Nigeria by mallorca(m): 10:59am On Jun 19, 2011
No ideal
Re: Most Romanticized City In Nigeria by alexola20(m): 11:01am On Jun 19, 2011
Re: Most Romanticized City In Nigeria by suke50(m): 11:05am On Jun 19, 2011
is RIVERS STATE
Re: Most Romanticized City In Nigeria by Arielle: 11:22am On Jun 19, 2011
Nestled at the top of the mountain, the Obudu Mountain Resort is situated on a plateau at 1576 meters above sea level on the Oshie Ridge of the Sankwala Mountains. The 20 u-turns on the road that takes you there (one aptly called the "the devil's elbow" ) are scarily exciting. Each u-turn takes you higher up the mountain and steadily reveals the most beautiful sights ever.The temperate climate offers a total contrast and welcome respite from Africa’s tropical heat. Idyllic tranquility, beautiful scenery and breathtaking views make it ideal for the lone adventurer, families on reunion, young couple/honeymooners or holiday group.

Obudu Mountain Resort is in Cross River State and is situated close to the border of Cameroon. The Resort provides accommodation in the form of African round huts and chalets on stilts maximizing the breathtaking views, as well as contained suites varying in size from the 2-bedroomed Governor’s Lodge with its own lounge/dining room and kitchenette to the 20 Mountain Villas, each with three bedrooms, lounge, dining room, kitchenette and balcony.

The food and beverage offering is found in the Terrace Restaurant and Bar with a cozy and relaxing atmosphere made complete by the blazing log fire. National and international cuisine is guaranteed to suit all tastes and the healthy appetites from a day’s nature walk or round of golf. There is a fully equipped gym, two floodlit tennis courts, a squash court and a natural swimming pool. Keen golfers can show their prowess on the hotel’s 9-hole golf course. The tours to view the magnificent scenery and spectacular birdlife are a must for the visitor to this part of the world and these tours can be taken on foot or on bicycle. For those who forgot to pack binoculars, the Canopy Walkway which is situated in the trees allows visitors thrilling close-ups of the birds in their natural habitat high above the ground.

A major attraction for guests is the Africa’s longest cable car system. At 4 kilometers, Obudu Mountain Resort's cable car gently transfers guests (and their bags) from the tropical climate at the base of the mountain right to the hotel’s reception area on the mountainside which is often in the clouds and is accompanied by an invigorating drop in temperature
There are no pictures to do justice to the awesome sight of the mountains. They can make a believer out of an atheist. The sight can make you feel small and insignificant but yet so powerful to be a part of something so magnificent. Can't explain it. Trying to upload a few pictures. So far unsuccessful. Will keep trying.
Re: Most Romanticized City In Nigeria by fd4all234(m): 11:24am On Jun 19, 2011
i think lagos and calabar
Re: Most Romanticized City In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:26am On Jun 19, 2011
ENUGU STATE any tim,any day.i heard sum people say Asaba,dnt even tink of it unless u wil come wit a canoe lol
Re: Most Romanticized City In Nigeria by splashbaby(m): 11:29am On Jun 19, 2011
Maiduguri
Jos
Suleja
Zuba
Abuja
Asaba
Oshogbo
All the places I could not remember now (GBoooa)
Re: Most Romanticized City In Nigeria by Justcash(m): 11:29am On Jun 19, 2011
Calabar all the way. Sweet and rugged city. I was once a malabite.
If you have not been to Enugu, dont say that Enugu is not beautiful. Enugu is Pretty
Re: Most Romanticized City In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:41am On Jun 19, 2011
based on where I have been in the country,I will give it in this order

1,Calabar
2,Abuja main city
3,Jos
and
4,Enugu
Re: Most Romanticized City In Nigeria by malaria(f): 11:43am On Jun 19, 2011
Aba lol.seriously calabar tops d chat.did i see owerri n someone's post.MEN O TOWN is las vegas of 9ja.
Re: Most Romanticized City In Nigeria by goggs(m): 11:55am On Jun 19, 2011
Jos is. If not for the mad slaughter of people going on there, its the place to beat.

Jos is beautiful followed by Calabar.  But i have no doubt that Calabar will soon take over due to Jos crisis and the growing sophistication in the marketing of calabar as the premier holiday destination. They are doing a great job at it!

I think for now Jos is tops cos its supported by similarly surrounding beautiful sister towns on and around the jos plateau.

One good thing about Plateau is that all of it is beautiful with splendid view and weather. traveled through the state from Jos, to Mangu, to shendam, to Langtan, to pangshin. God what a beautiful land!!!! The sites are awesome with untouched wilderness and amazing wildlife (where can one still see hippos in the wild in Nigeria apart from game parks?). you need to see beautiful flowering trees along many rural  roads (jacarandas and cassia fistulas are prevalent).  Being a non native, and crucially not Fulani or Hausa (their antagonist), i found the locals really very friendly. I was extra careful and nervous though due to the recent killings and so on, but it didnt dampen my sense of awe. Interestingly, I found several Hausas in the villages still carrying out their businesses (cab drivers and the like). the roads into the interior were no so bad, as some where newly laid by the state government, while FERMA was at work on others

God, its truly PLATEAU the BEAUTIFUL!

Calabar is beautiful and, as I said before, will be over taking Jos soon .

For the plateau, I really look forward to getting a guide, a good camera and going back to the interior of the plateau and spending a night in one of those beautiful villages i saw. It will be awesome no doubt!
Re: Most Romanticized City In Nigeria by tuazor: 12:03pm On Jun 19, 2011
i know this is out of the context of this thread, i just want to ask, since calabar carries more vote than any of the city. my question is, is The University of Calabar more beautiful and captivating than the universities in the other states being mentioned? Like UNIPORT, UNIBEN? etc.

please i need straight and lucid answers. thanks.

well if you ask me, i will put my list this way, though i have not been to calabar, but i have heard a lot.

Calabar
port harcourt
Abuja
Jos
Owerri
Enugu
Edo

am sorry, very sorry, but, Lagos is not included when it comes to beauty,Calm,Romantic, Tall trees and cool air.

Lagos is INDUSTROIUS (Case close)

please i need answers to my question

thanks ONE LOVE NAIJA. WE ARE GOOD.
Re: Most Romanticized City In Nigeria by ReachRich(m): 12:08pm On Jun 19, 2011
@ topic,
my hometown,Igbere in Abia state.
Re: Most Romanticized City In Nigeria by Meristem: 12:14pm On Jun 19, 2011
Calabar is sweeet, Enugu is next. If you have not visited these cities, dont even comment on this thread!
Re: Most Romanticized City In Nigeria by Rooneyboy(m): 12:42pm On Jun 19, 2011
enugu is very a beautiful state, nice scenery, calm, warmth, havent been to Calabar b4 so cant speak bt want to believe its a nice place.
Re: Most Romanticized City In Nigeria by titsqueez(m): 12:45pm On Jun 19, 2011
Uyo
Re: Most Romanticized City In Nigeria by Rooneyboy(m): 12:53pm On Jun 19, 2011
abia and rivers are both disasters, as for lag its just a place to hustle nothing, there's absolutely nothing romantic in lag,is it the numerous agberos or the thousands of okada men or the smelly nature of the state that u guys term as romantic? Nothing atall is good about lag
Re: Most Romanticized City In Nigeria by Irunmole(m): 1:05pm On Jun 19, 2011
Warri, aka Wafie city.
Re: Most Romanticized City In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:20pm On Jun 19, 2011
i have been to all the major cities and capitals in nigeria and must say calabar and enugu are the most romantic cities you want to take yout wife or girlfriend to, cool athmosphere, trees ,neat roads, calm with good looking and mannered people, lots of hang out spots, good food, very low crime rate, decent night life, nice hotels, both cities look alike, the same setting and layout but calabar got more tourist spots.

next is jos before the crisis cus i dont know what it looks like now and its now a symbol of horror

bubbling under we have owerri, akure try sha, asaba, lokoja.northern cities cannot be romantic ,you dont want to be killed for kissing or holding hands with your girl in public.

lagos,abuja, onitsha, and ph(my town) maybe well developed but they are not romantic, just noisy with thieves running about the whole place and oloyes looking for people wife and girlfriend to snatch even in your prescence and its always raining in ph.

yenogoa,umuahia,ibadan,abeokuta, aba all have what it takes but they need to step up their game

makurdis and yola are nice too but heat go kill you for there, even the ac wont work the cities are just too hot
Re: Most Romanticized City In Nigeria by DisGuy: 1:36pm On Jun 19, 2011
Jos is beautiful followed by Calabar. But i have no doubt that Calabar will soon take over due to Jos crisis and the growing sophistication in the marketing of calabar as the premier holiday destination. They are doing a great job at it!

You think so? undecided
Re: Most Romanticized City In Nigeria by ismaeel86(m): 1:49pm On Jun 19, 2011
Adamawa, Taraba, Bauchi, Jos, Niger and Kaduna and Ondo state
Re: Most Romanticized City In Nigeria by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 1:59pm On Jun 19, 2011
jos, once upon a time, but now must be calabar. who mentioned owerri? I beg to disagree. I live in that town about three months every year for the past few years and i must say there's nothing special or romantic at that about owerri. just too many hotels scattered about.

as for lagos, well, you may not find them beautiful mountains/hills/plateaus but there are some scenic, historic places in Lagos. Infact there are not too special places that please the mind and relaxes the soul. Try taking a leisurely walk along Eric Moore road in the early evening. I do it all the time.
Re: Most Romanticized City In Nigeria by emmke(m): 2:11pm On Jun 19, 2011
jos jos jos jos all da way. The most beautiful city in nigeria by far. Am proud to be of jos origin. And very soon the crisis will be over forever and my ever beautiful jos will be the toast of everyone. Mean while am stuck in lag. But i'd forever be Josboy4life.
Re: Most Romanticized City In Nigeria by emmke(m): 2:18pm On Jun 19, 2011
one more thing, jos is the only town where u wont need an air conditioner. We've got a natural one. God really has blessed the plateau. No wonder some people are tryin to take it from us. But they will never succeed, cos jos stands for Jesus Our Saviour.
Re: Most Romanticized City In Nigeria by graychuks(m): 3:11pm On Jun 19, 2011
Calabar
Enugu
owerri
Akwa ibom.
I have lived in this 4 cites wao the took my breathe away,couldn't help but watch the serene environment.of all the place i have been to IBADAN stil has a lot to answer for,and one thing i like about living in the South is that their are difference between the TOWN and the CITY u get to know which is which.
Re: Most Romanticized City In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:55pm On Jun 19, 2011
Calabar beats every city in Nigeria hands down.
The serenity and good roads with well constructed drainage system is something lacking in most Nigerian cities.
If you are looking for good food,calabar is the place.
Of course there is a very low crime rate in Calabar,however Calabar south is a bit rough,but certainly not as bad as Lagos.
How any one can call Lagos romantic just beats me hollow,except it is someone who has spent all their life in Lagos and abroad and has never attempted to explore any other area in Nigeria except the South West.
I believe Lagos and Aba are on the same chaotic level.

Another serene town I have lived in is Sokoto,Take that from some one who has been around and lived all over the country.
While you hear of riots in many northern states the seat of the caliphate is one of the most peaceful and well constructed towns in the North. Highly recomended .
Young people need to travel around the country so you don't make the mistake of feeling life begins and ends in Lagos!
Re: Most Romanticized City In Nigeria by MMM2(m): 4:57pm On Jun 19, 2011
isi ala ngwa

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

LASG Gives Update On Reconstruction Of Adeniji Adele, Okepopo And Tapa Streets / Lagos - A Rising International Tourist & Business Destination (pics) / Accra - Ghana At Night

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.