Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,639 members, 7,979,170 topics. Date: Friday, 18 October 2024 at 10:07 PM

Matter And Mind - Religion (39) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Matter And Mind (24216 Views)

Did The Mind Evolve From Chemistry, Matter And Energy? / Is Matter And Energy Eternal? / Who Frees You When Your Heart And Mind Is Full Of This??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (36) (37) (38) (39) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Matter And Mind by LordReed(m): 4:31pm On Dec 19, 2022
triplechoice:

But it's the story teller that has created the much faster subjective time in the show .

Evolution in AI's should happen independently if not, we are creating something and no longer observing it evolve on their own.

Ehh, how does making something evolve mean it didn't evolve?

I told you right now we can increase simulation time in our current day computers, it's not merely a storytelling device.
Re: Matter And Mind by LordReed(m): 4:34pm On Dec 19, 2022
DeepSight:

Beautiful.
Lordreed.... pls I hope what he said about cats talking is not lost on you....

I really don't see what it has to do with it honestly. AI evolution will not follow biological evolution especially in time scale.
Re: Matter And Mind by triplechoice(m): 5:07pm On Dec 19, 2022
LordReed:

Ehh, how does making something evolve mean it didn't evolve?

I told you right now we can increase simulation time in our current day computers, it's not merely a storytelling device.

But we are talking of the possibility of AI's evolving on their own to confirm if life happened by chance from matter.

When we get involved directly in the process, what can we say then? chance or deliberate creation of something?

And no matter what you say about a simulated time, AI's becoming sentient can only happen in real time.
Re: Matter And Mind by triplechoice(m): 5:13pm On Dec 19, 2022
LordReed:

I really don't see what it has to do with it honestly. AI evolution will not follow biological evolution especially in time scale.
Re: Matter And Mind by triplechoice(m): 5:13pm On Dec 19, 2022
LordReed:

You talk here as if you're sure of how AI evolution would happen.

If AI evolution will not follow biological evolution ,then what gives you the certainty that it would happen the way you think?
Re: Matter And Mind by LordReed(m): 5:24pm On Dec 19, 2022
triplechoice:

You talk here as if you're sure of how AI evolution would happen.

If AI evolution will not follow biological evolution ,then what gives you the certainty that it would happen the way you think?

I don't know what path or conditions will bring it about but I am certain it won't follow biological evolution simply because it is not biological. You seem to want to insist that it must be exactly like a biological organism when it clearly isn't.
Re: Matter And Mind by LordReed(m): 5:33pm On Dec 19, 2022
triplechoice:

But we are talking of the possibility of AI's evolving on their own to confirm if life happened by chance from matter.

When we get involved directly in the process, what can we say then? chance or deliberate creation of something?

And no matter what you say about a simulated time, AI's becoming sentient can only happen in real time.

Well I didn't specify that it must evolve on its own.

No, AI becoming sentient won't happen in real time because it's own subjective time is variable. It can be speed up , slowed down, halted, made to match real time or any permutation thereof. You can see it in season 4 when the Bernard host runs millions of simulations with a real time equivalent of thousands of years within a few years.
Re: Matter And Mind by triplechoice(m): 8:25pm On Dec 19, 2022
LordReed:

I don't know what path or conditions will bring it about but I am certain it won't follow biological evolution simply because it is not biological. You seem to want to insist that it must be exactly like a biological organism when it clearly isn't.

It's you that's has not made it initially clear what path that it would take.

Now that you have said it wouldn't be biological, I am going to repeat what I already declared;
AI'S, if they wouldn't evolve biologically and become sentient, would only do so when cats start to talk suddenly.

Why do I say so?

The main mechanism which makes it possible for AI's to replicate human behaviour is fixed and can only change by human intervention.

This is unlike the human brain that can evolve or devolve naturally on its own due to plasticity.

So tell us , How can something that's fixed suddenly change into another thing on its own and start operating differently?

Or do you think someday cars would suddenly grow wings and start to fly?

I am not trying to mock you here, but it's what I can only make from all you have argued so far.

And untill you can show me a little of the science which has inspired what you're envisioning concerning AI's, I would continue to place all you have been saying in the same category as the popular rapture vision of some Pentecostal Christians. We know rapture won't happen . It's crazy talk.

Where's the science about what you think. Let's discuss that, so we stop assuming about what's possible or not possible.

I have already explained that it's an impossibility from a scientific point of view and even from some other position you can think of it.
Re: Matter And Mind by LordReed(m): 9:14pm On Dec 19, 2022
triplechoice:

It's you that's has not made it initially clear what path that it would take.

Now that you have said it wouldn't be biological, I am going to repeat what I already declared;
AI'S, if they wouldn't evolve biologically and become sentient, would only do so when cats start to talk suddenly.

Why do I say so?

The main mechanism which makes it possible for AI's to replicate human behaviour is fixed and can only change by human intervention.

This is unlike the human brain that can evolve or devolve naturally on its own due to plasticity.

So tell us , How can something that's fixed suddenly change into another thing on its own and start operating differently?

Or do you think someday cars would suddenly grow wings and start to fly?

I am not trying to mock you here, but it's what I can only make from all you have argued so far.

And untill you can show me a little of the science which has inspired what you're envisioning concerning AI's, I would continue to place all you have been saying in the same category as the popular rapture vision of some Pentecostal Christians. We know rapture won't happen . It's crazy talk.

Where's the science about what you think. Let's discuss that, so we stop assuming about what's possible or not possible.

I have already explained that it's an impossibility from a scientific point of view and even from some other position you can think of it.

LoLz. This is funny what is AI if not software and why would software not have plasticity when it can be infinitely adjusted. Unlike us biological organisms an AI would be functionally immortal. There is nothing that says AI would not change or adapt. I dunno what makes you say it is fixed.

Any of the current neural network based machine learning capable AI experiments already show that capability of adapting. Right now there are commercial available AI chatbots, the new fad all the banks are using now. Its practically the same code but it can be made to serve lots of different roles or communicate in different languages. Of course we are not at the point where the AI will rewrite its own code but its certainly not an impossibility.

Why do you think its an impossibility? What in science says AI cannot gain sentience?
Re: Matter And Mind by triplechoice(m): 10:01pm On Dec 19, 2022
LordReed:

LoLz. This is funny what is AI if not software and why would software not have plasticity when it can be infinitely adjusted. Unlike us biological organisms an AI would be functionally immortal. There is nothing that says AI would not change or adapt. I dunno what makes you say it is fixed.

Any of the current neural network based machine learning capable AI experiments already show that capability of adapting. Right now there are commercial available AI chatbots, the new fad all the banks are using now. Its practically the same code but it can be made to serve lots of different roles or communicate in different languages. Of course we are not at the point where the AI will rewrite its own code but its certainly not an impossibility.

Why do you think its an impossibility? What in science says AI cannot gain sentience?

So where would the consciousness come from in the first place for an AI to change its software by itself and become sentient? Or how would those software change on their own to enable sentience?

The artificial neural networks in modern AI's are not exactly the same as the one in the human brain. They don't form and dissolve exactly the same way.

The former is not flexible while the latter is.
What you're envisioning will never happen.

It's an impossibility for AI' to have sentience because they're machines without any form of life. Life has to be present first before any kind of sentience can happen. It's as simple as that.

There's no general consensus in the sciences where life or consciousness has emerged from. But you seem to be certain where it has emerged to be so sure that one day AI's would become sentient.

And just look at what you wrote up there. You said it's certainly not an impossibility that AI's can rewrite their own codes someday. Ha!

Honestly this is getting crazy
Re: Matter And Mind by HellVictorinho6(m): 10:16pm On Dec 19, 2022
Message from me to all that ever talk about awareness or consciousness

"Whatever"
Re: Matter And Mind by LordReed(m): 12:38am On Dec 20, 2022
triplechoice:

So where would the consciousness come from in the first place for an AI to change its software by itself and become sentient? Or how would those software change on their own to enable sentience?

The artificial neural networks in modern AI's are not exactly the same as the one in the human brain. They don't form and dissolve exactly the same way.

The former is not flexible while the latter is.
What you're envisioning will never happen.

It's an impossibility for AI' to have sentience because they're machines without any form of life. Life has to be present first before any kind of sentience can happen. It's as simple as that.

There's no general consensus in the sciences where life or consciousness has emerged from. But you seem to be certain where it has emerged to be so sure that one day AI's would become sentient.

And just look at what you wrote up there. You said it's certainly not an impossibility that AI's can rewrite their own codes someday. Ha!

Honestly this is getting crazy

LoLz. You know what, let's agree to disagree. You don't think AI will become sentient, I do. We'll leave it at that.

My main focus for this for bringing up the show was just to get you guys thoughts on some of the more philosophical aspects the show hints at, like what is the nature of our reality, is the human mind able to be copied or any interesting thing the show made you think of.
Re: Matter And Mind by TheSourcerer: 10:40am On Dec 20, 2022
triplechoice:

Yea. I know about the show and also understand what in the sciences that has inspired it.

It's hoped that in the future AI's may suddenly become sentient or develop their own form of consciousness that would make it possible for an independent existence of their own.

My response to such vision is that it won't see the light of day. It can only happen when cats suddenly start to talk .

What happened in that show can never happen in real life because consciousness evolves ,not at once ,but with time.

It would be a negation of one of the principles of evolution if AI's suddenly become sentient as we saw in Westworld.

The best we can hope for in real life would be AI's that would replicate human behaviour so perfectly well that we may struggle to see any difference between them and a real human being.

Those futuristic AI's, when they become possible, will never be sentient no matter the level of technology used in their production.

Unbias points.True Robots cannot become sentient as we have evolved to ,Just like a time machine can never be created since man created time, it is impossible to travel back or make a time machine (yet sensational idea) just like a sentient AI I for one would love to see Westworld. Good Morning smiley
Re: Matter And Mind by budaatum: 3:13pm On Dec 23, 2022
LordReed:
@DeepSight, triplechoice, budaatum, TheSourcerer,

Have you seen the show Westworld? What do you think about it if you have? See it if you haven't, it's quite thought provoking.

Vaguely remember the '73 film. Will make the 2016 series my Christmas watch.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Matter And Mind by LordReed(m): 3:19pm On Dec 23, 2022
budaatum:

Vaguely remember the '73 film. Will make the 2016 series my Christmas watch.

Oh please do. I was imagining you as one of the characters. LMAO!

1 Like

Re: Matter And Mind by budaatum: 2:44pm On Dec 24, 2022
LordReed:

Oh please do. I was imagining you as one of the characters. LMAO!
I wonder which of the characters. Guess might find out when I watch.
Re: Matter And Mind by LordReed(m): 3:02pm On Dec 24, 2022
budaatum:

I wonder which of the characters. Guess might find out when I watch.

Lemme see if you can guess. LoLz

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Matter And Mind by budaatum: 2:49pm On Jan 25, 2023
triplechoice:

A self refuting banner. Clutching at straws.

A shameless man would do anything to cover his shame. .

Question:. What is NDE?

budaatum.: It means attempting suicide twice and thinking it is NDE

That said, triple. I do not usually maintain conversations with individuals who need to lie to justify their positions as I do not tend to see the point of stating the obvious fact they must know they are lying.
Re: Matter And Mind by triplechoice(m): 2:58pm On Jan 25, 2023
budaatum:

That said, triple. I do not usually maintain conversations with individuals who need to lie to justify their positions as I do not tend to see the point of stating the obvious fact they must know they are lying.

Then ,What I was suspecting was true after all.

You have shamelessly gone back to your vomit after your " your time is up" declaration.

I will respond to your latest craziness later in the day
I have some job to do now.
Re: Matter And Mind by budaatum: 3:01pm On Jan 25, 2023
triplechoice:

Then ,What I was suspecting was true after all.

You have shamelessly gone back to your vomit after your " your time is up" declaration.

I will respond to your latest craziness later in the day
I have some job to do now.

You must be tired of your fight with others and think you can entice buda into one.

Good luck with that.
Re: Matter And Mind by triplechoice(m): 3:10pm On Jan 25, 2023
budaatum:

You must be tired of your fight with others and think you can entice buda into one.

Good luck with that.

And you quoted me after so many months to continue the fight you started months ago.

You just wait. I will address your nonsense later when I'm less busy.
Re: Matter And Mind by budaatum: 12:43pm On Jan 26, 2023
triplechoice:

You have quoted me here on this thread after several months with this,"+1 ".

+1 means one agrees with the sentiment expressed. And I am replying you here because we have history here and I do not wish to involve myself any further in that thread

Now try again without the verbiage. The above is as far as I got.
Re: Matter And Mind by triplechoice(m): 3:24pm On Jan 26, 2023
Lol,

Another failed attempt at damage control after been found out.

Can anyone explain this,

A nairalander ,who's not insane, has reasoned that the best place and way to respond to a question asked in one thread is to take it to another unrelated thread , here, with the excuse of an history that should be forgotten.

And what was this history, a quarrell ,which he dug out first and expressed bitterness over as if it just happened yesterday, and then wait until the next day to answer the question that he was originally asked and expect me to be believe he is being sincere and honest?

What difference would it make if the question was responded to in the place where it was originally asked.

Wow! Notin person nor go see 4 Nairaland.

Not going to quote any pretender.

But some people have mastered the art of lying to themselves. No shame
Re: Matter And Mind by budaatum: 4:39pm On Jan 26, 2023
triplechoice:

here, with the excuse of an history that should be forgotten....

I wonder where you got that from Triple, that "history should be forgotten". Forgetting history gives permission to behave without impunity so one can do or say whatever one wants without it biting one's nose off. Please know that buda always remembers history. It is not an idea I subscribe to, and Nairaland, thankfully, records our history.

Anyway, I read a bit more.

triplechoice:

OBEs and NDEs in case you don't know, I know you don't know, is currently being investigated by those in the main body of sciences, and not just individual scientists working on their own, to understand better the phenomenon ,so as to bring it into the realm of the exacting sciences for further investigation in order to established its reality different from what religious people are saying about it. I mentioned Aware11 and 111 in that thread, and they just released an update on their recent findings.

"Currently being investigated", suggests not yet known, hence more to learn and know, but your "bring it into the realm of the exacting sciences", is a stretch, considering the subjectivity of the experience.

"The significance and mechanisms that lead to these experiences are not fully understood – we do not know if they matter or why they happen."
https://www.hra.nhs.uk/planning-and-improving-research/application-summaries/research-summaries/aware-ii/

"Significance and mechanisms" of the experiences, note. As in, the outcome of having the experience and the conditions that cause the experience to be had.

Emergency Department or Research staff will be alerted to cardiac arrest and will attend with portable brain oxygen monitoring devices and a tablet which will display visual images upwards above the patient as resuscitation is taking place.

They will measure the oxygen in the brain, while displaying visual images to the patient.

Survivors will then be followed up and with their consent will have in-depth, audio recorded interviews.
After the patient has survived, which might be days or weeks later, they will ask what the patient saw.

Tell me, Triple. Would you be surprised if some patients claim they saw Jesus and angels and the gates of heaven or hell or whatever else it is you see?

Our writing is indeed history, Triple, and weeks, months, years from now, you and I will add to it here on this thread every so often where it would not be lost in the nonsense of that other thread. I'm certain my Lord would not mind.

In time we can look back at how we were, what we did and said, what it meant and means and if it's what we know or would say or do now and evolve or not. For one more reason not to forget history is it makes one mindful of the present.

(1) (2) (3) ... (36) (37) (38) (39) (Reply)

My Experience With Fasting / Russian Orthodox Church In Amsterdam Announces Split With Moscow Due To Ukraine. / Mayan Apocalypse: Panic Spreads As December 21 Nears

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.