Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,433 members, 7,881,580 topics. Date: Saturday, 06 July 2024 at 12:29 AM

Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria (20191 Views)

Oyo Government Reacts To Ibadan Explosion, Urges Residents To Remain Calm / 1 Million Dollars To Remain In Naija Vs 5000$ To Japa. Pick One / US Reciprocity Visa Fees To Remain, Despite FG Turnaround - Embassy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria by LegalWolf: 6:19pm On Feb 11, 2022
BrodaAgbaya:
Hi guys,

I was planning to travel out to UK, Germany or any other stable European country for my Master`s by September of this year of which i will be able to raise 2million from my pocket and then borrow about 2/3million from a person i know for some fees then get there are do part times jobs to complete my tuition fee.

After some thoughts, i realized this wasn`t a really smart move cos i have a good job here in Nigeria where I'm paid above 200k each month, This will increase to above 300k in the next 2months still with some bonuses.

Is there any sense in dropping all these to go to a place of uncertainty and start leaving from hand to mouth cos i`d be struggling to pay my debt and tuition??

One of the driving forces towards wanting to travel out is the fear of 2023 elections and the fact that many of my friends we finished together are all travelling out. Yeah, i know the second reason doesn't make sense, but that`s just me being honest here.

My plan now is to keep working here in Nigeria probably for about 3/4 years more, live the baby boy life, develop relevant skills then get a job over there or go for an MBA. 3/4 years from now i should have saved more than 2million for travel.

Also note i will be turning 26 towards the end of the year, so i think there`s still a bit of time on my end.

I need advice from you guys, is this a sensible idea putting into consideration things that could go wrong pre/post elections, the current standard of living in Lagos and the current and future exchange rates.

I have noticed the crazy rush to leave the country among we youths but i have also noticed that those that have good paying jobs in multinationals, fintechs, banks, govt etc are not bothered about leaving the country. Also noticed most of my friends who left were all earning less than 100k in salary.

Please tell me what y`all think??

Mods in case reactions are much, abeg push to Front page

See, brother let me give you a heart to heart conversation.

At present, I’m currently in University of St. Andrews in UK. Before I left the country last year, my salary was in excess of 400k net. Mind you, I’m just 27 and unmarried.

Why did I tell you all these stories: abroad is an uncertain enterprise. I may have strong academic record but I am a lawyer. It is extremely competitive here. Even if you’re in tech, there are thousands of Indians and other immigrants flocking into Europe every single year. It is way more competitive than people make it seem.

You’re not guaranteed of success here. Earning 9 - 10£ per hour may seem big when you convert it to Naira but it is not. When other expenses eat into your income, you may not be left with so many things after everything. Services are so ridiculously expensive here. And combining school with work during winter is hell. Real hell.

But should that stop you from coming over. I don’t think it should. The quality of life you will have here is top notch. You may meet amazing people and the masters you get here would definitely boost your chances of getting a job either here or back home.

All I just have to advise you is that you shouldn’t be slave to abroad. It’s not everyone abroad that will be more successful than those in Nigeria. Some in Nigeria will make more money and become more successful than some of us. Don’t run out of the country just because others are doing it and out of frustration. I hope this helps

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria by ekerintee: 6:21pm On Feb 11, 2022
700k per week doing what ? Before tax or after tax.how much do you spend on accomodation ,housing and utilities.As much as it is good to travel out ,don't just mislead people without proper information.it takes time to integrate into any country,people don't get job just immediately in any country and you forget to mention how hard you have to work to get that money or how you have to work 12 hours or more to survive in a strange country Nigerians should learn to be truthful and how some Nigerians do shady stuff to avoid taxes,do jobs that they will never do in Nigeria.

LuQuLuQu:

My guy travel o. I make 700k per week in UK

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria by Gwan2(m): 6:35pm On Feb 11, 2022
HRprof:

Point of correction I am a typical IGBO Biafra for that matter and ready to vote any competent Nigerians who can lead this country forward and when it comes to issues concerning Nigeria I don't do political or tribal sentiments. You are busy deceiving Nigeria youths to leave the country because they voted Buhari as if travelling abroad will solve Nigeria problems.
You enter Nigeria with a foreign passport .... story for the goats. Why did you even entre Nigeria again when you done Japa finally. Having a foreign passport doesn't make you a first class citizen there and they still see you as Nigerian! You know what you get when you mention that word Nigeria to a foreigners? This is as the result of Nigeria youth disgracing Nigeria abroad with illigal activities because they want to Japa by all means .

You have said it all…..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria by MosheDayan: 6:40pm On Feb 11, 2022
[s]
Dawn91:

I suggest you go, because even though president Buhari means well for Nigeria unfortunately he is surrounded by rouges.

Just remember where ever you are

Amaechi Zulum 2023

When it's time vote , mobilize people for truth and better Nigeria

Shun those who ordered a massacre at Lekki then denied it

Amaechi Zulum 2023
[/s]The president means well but is surrounded by rogues? this is by far the most senseless thing i have ever read. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria by Kingofhoes: 6:42pm On Feb 11, 2022
LuQuLuQu:

And good sir if I may ask. How much do you spend on Bill's and the rest���. Just be there deceiving others to suffer with you.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria by iInjureHerYansh: 6:47pm On Feb 11, 2022
Skybridge33:
Why leave only to go and suffer abroad, you won't get a decent job there and your bills will be very high. What's your business with elections are you the one contesting, just live your life .

I know so many people suffering and washing dishes in Germany. Living in public houses full of black people and it gets crazy cold not to mention racist attacks, use your sense op develop yourself it's easier to make it here than there
But after 5 years they come back as millionaires. Besides all those suffering can't be compared to 3 hours of hanging in the traffic of hot Lagos everyday. Talk more of the rest

Only the already made this hell is made for

5 Likes

Re: Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria by chaloskyx: 6:59pm On Feb 11, 2022
SO LET ME HELP YOU WELL YOU ARE 26 THATS GOOD THIS IS WHAT YOU SHOULD DO
1. DONT LEAVE YOUR JOB REMAIN THERE AND WORK
2. IF YOU HAVE A MASTERS DEGREE AND 3 YEARS WORK EXPERIENCE WRITE IELTS AND APPLY FOR PERMANENT RESIDENCY IN CANADA
3. ONCE YOU GET YOUR PR YOU HAVE 5 YEARS TO DECIDE IF YOU WANT TO MOVE TO CANADA OR STAY IN NIGERIA
4. IF YOU DONT HAVE A MASTERS ID ADVISE YOU TO STAY IN NAIJA GET YOUR MASTERS THEN APPLY FOR PR
5. WITH THIS YOU CAN KILL 2 BIRDS WITH ONE STONE DEVELOP YOUR CAREER WHILE PROCESSING YOUR PR BUT NEVER LEAVE YOUR JOB TO ANOTHER COUNTRY HOPING FOR THE BEST
BrodaAgbaya:
Hi guys,

I was planning to travel out to UK, Germany or any other stable European country for my Master`s by September of this year of which i will be able to raise 2million from my pocket and then borrow about 2/3million from a person i know for some fees then get there are do part times jobs to complete my tuition fee.

After some thoughts, i realized this wasn`t a really smart move cos i have a good job here in Nigeria where I'm paid above 200k each month, This will increase to above 300k in the next 2months still with some bonuses.

Is there any sense in dropping all these to go to a place of uncertainty and start leaving from hand to mouth cos i`d be struggling to pay my debt and tuition??

One of the driving forces towards wanting to travel out is the fear of 2023 elections and the fact that many of my friends we finished together are all travelling out. Yeah, i know the second reason doesn't make sense, but that`s just me being honest here.

My plan now is to keep working here in Nigeria probably for about 3/4 years more, live the baby boy life, develop relevant skills then get a job over there or go for an MBA. 3/4 years from now i should have saved more than 2million for travel.

Also note i will be turning 26 towards the end of the year, so i think there`s still a bit of time on my end.

I need advice from you guys, is this a sensible idea putting into consideration things that could go wrong pre/post elections, the current standard of living in Lagos and the current and future exchange rates.

I have noticed the crazy rush to leave the country among we youths but i have also noticed that those that have good paying jobs in multinationals, fintechs, banks, govt etc are not bothered about leaving the country. Also noticed most of my friends who left were all earning less than 100k in salary.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria by Mamak1(m): 7:25pm On Feb 11, 2022
It makes no sense at all.
Just cut small soap for me abeg before ur relocation stuff
Re: Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria by Goldbw122(m): 7:30pm On Feb 11, 2022
BrodaAgbaya:
Hi guys,

If you can make a good plan to be in Nigeria, and be in abroad, you know traveling to and fro..
Re: Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria by tonididdy(m): 7:33pm On Feb 11, 2022
BrodaAgbaya:
Hi guys,

Can 300k buy rest of mind, uninterrupted power supply, clean water, clean air...

The best gift you can give yourself and your unborn kids, is a safe neighborhood anywhere outside Nigeria

4 Likes

Re: Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria by kabaz(m): 7:52pm On Feb 11, 2022
I like the honesty....I am contemplating travelling too as I have approached a critical age as a single....I really don't wanna travel without getting married but the fear that things might get alil tougher after marriage and might slow my plans of travelling out has got me stranded.

tundeloveday:
Bro....you are still very young and quite the appropriate time to travel. But my advice to you, strange though, is get married (if u’ve a girl u perfect together with) one should travel to UK on study visa and other hv a dependant visa. Before u guys finally get ur footing either in the UK or Canada. From experience, I got the chance to travel to the UK at age 30 but I was marooned in the UK after 5 years with singleness, loneliness, boredom which made me miserable. Thank God things are getting better. who no no no go no. My story

Re: Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria by Walewow: 8:22pm On Feb 11, 2022
HRprof:

Why are you afraid of 2023 election? Did you foresee any war? Hope you are not a prophet of doom or rather using this as an excuse to Japa.
Well in this era of remote work I don’t see any reason why people still want to enslave themselves in a foreign land . My advise is to develop yourself on any remote work skill and live comfortable anywhere you are.
Don’t let anyone deceive you is raining everywhere. There are homeless people in USA, Paris etc I have seen.
Listen to foreign news like Ajazera and EuroNews . Travel to visit the country you wish to migrate to before you make that decision to avoid engaging yourself to illegal means of survival.
My 2 cents
Re: Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria by kabaz(m): 8:43pm On Feb 11, 2022
Speaking from experience or perception?
We are learning pls
chaloskyx:
2. IF YOU HAVE A MASTERS DEGREE AND 3 YEARS WORK EXPERIENCE WRITE IELTS AND APPLY FOR PERMANENT RESIDENCY IN CANADA
3. ONCE YOU GET YOUR PR YOU HAVE 5 YEARS TO DECIDE IF YOU WANT TO MOVE TO CANADA OR STAY IN NIGERIA
4. IF YOU DONT HAVE A MASTERS ID ADVISE YOU TO STAY IN NAIJA GET YOUR MASTERS THEN APPLY FOR PR
5. WITH THIS YOU CAN KILL 2 BIRDS WITH ONE STONE DEVELOP YOUR CAREER WHILE PROCESSING YOUR PR BUT NEVER LEAVE YOUR JOB TO ANOTHER COUNTRY HOPING FOR THE BEST

2 Likes

Re: Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria by chaloskyx: 8:44pm On Feb 11, 2022
Speaking from experience currently in canada
kabaz:
Speaking from experience or perception?
We are learning pls

2 Likes

Re: Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria by biosystech: 9:08pm On Feb 11, 2022
BrodaAgbaya:

Thanks, truly my salary as at now is nothing to write about. After rent, feeding and very little savings there is always nothing left. Might just work towards Germany for next year but i don`t think i`d be going this year.
If you plan on going to Germany next year, you should plan towards it this year. As I heard and confirmed from a friend who'll soon leave, she started last two years and was recently invited for an interview last year ending or so.

Good luck!

1 Like

Re: Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria by ahaika23: 9:12pm On Feb 11, 2022
You should travel already yesterday. What you’re earning is what minimum wage workers earn in 3 days. Do everything possible to enter Germany or UK.

3 Likes

Re: Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria by lereinter(m): 9:14pm On Feb 11, 2022
Dawn91:

I suggest you go, because even though president Buhari means well for Nigeria unfortunately he is surrounded by rouges.

Just remember where ever you are

Amaechi Zulum 2023

When it's time vote , mobilize people for truth and better Nigeria

Shun those who ordered a massacre at Lekki then denied it

Amaechi Zulum 2023

You said buhari meant well for nigeria?

May your entire life and generation be as buhari is running nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria by lereinter(m): 9:23pm On Feb 11, 2022
Relocating overseas is a calling not a desire

Some people have more income than or very less income than yours but yet they don't want to relocate
From your various comments you seems to fall into the category

You can just travel for sightseeing, in order to appreciate God

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria by veraakhigbe(f): 9:26pm On Feb 11, 2022
Hello,can i reach you please? zibahakhigbe@gmail.com

LuQuLuQu:

1 Like

Re: Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria by NoToPile: 9:28pm On Feb 11, 2022
Whatever you do, do not borrow money to travel and definitely not that huge amount.
Re: Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria by ogawisdom(m): 9:43pm On Feb 11, 2022
chaloskyx:

Will this advice work for a lecturer with PhD n 10 years working experience
Re: Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria by sirp9898(m): 9:56pm On Feb 11, 2022
You people don't want to build your country for you and others to come and feel comfortably
Lazy people that uses greed to cover their laziness

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria by sarnucey(m): 11:11pm On Feb 11, 2022
Some people have given you a sincere advise, especially those already in Europe. If you actually have the passion and readiness to hustle in Europe or abroad, then you should leave Nigeria. Plus you have to consider other factors like cultural, religious and social difference abroad.

Now let me give a breakdown. If you choose to come to Germany for instance, with your savings, you will need to borrow additional 4.8m or so. To pay back this money,after your first 3-4 months needed to gather docs, it will take you atleast 1.5years if you work more than the 120days allowed for students for atleast 18months. This is because rent, semester fee, health insurance, feeding, internet, radio bills and flexing will take atleast 70 percent of your income monthly.

If you get additional skills, language and able to land an official job in your field of study within the 18months issued for job search after your masters, then you can settle and begin enjoying life in less than 5 years in Europe though everything you own might be on credit, house, car etc.

The factors I mentioned earlier now come in. Who to marry, raising kids in environment different from Africa,we shun some stuffs that are norms here.

All in all, you need to weigh your options, think deep and make your decision. Only God knows the exact place our individual dreams will come true.

Peace out.

3 Likes

Re: Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria by Sheriman(m): 11:12pm On Feb 11, 2022
sirp9898:
You people don't want to build your country for you and others to come and feel comfortably
Lazy people that uses greed to cover their laziness
Don't mind them everybody wants to go to Ilu Oyinbo. If oyinbo people failed to develop their country will they ever go there. Y can't dey go to Afghanistan Yemen Lebanon Pakistan or Somalia??

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria by benpedro(m): 11:33pm On Feb 11, 2022
HRprof:

Point of correction I am a typical IGBO Biafra for that matter and ready to vote any competent Nigerians who can lead this country forward and when it comes to issues concerning Nigeria I don't do political or tribal sentiments. You are busy deceiving Nigeria youths to leave the country because they voted Buhari as if travelling abroad will solve Nigeria problems.
You enter Nigeria with a foreign passport .... story for the goats. Why did you even entre Nigeria again when you done Japa finally. Having a foreign passport doesn't make you a first class citizen there and they still see you as Nigerian! You know what you get when you mention that word Nigeria to a foreigners? This is as the result of Nigeria youth disgracing Nigeria abroad with illigal activities because they want to Japa by all means .
I only visit Nigeria because of my family. And within the East, I'm treated as equal among my igbo brothers. And I'm sorry, even though I'm a naturalized citizen here, I have almost all the rights as the natives. Infact, the people here treats me with more dignity than how most Nigerians treated me while I was in Nigeria. And don't worry about mentioning the name Nigeria. I try not to mention it as much as possible. When I'm asked here where I was born, I simply say Wakanda lol and laugh it off. If Nigeria didn't get better before, is it now that it will get better when they borrow to pay recurrent expenditures? �

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria by benpedro(m): 11:56pm On Feb 11, 2022
Who is this one?
wonder233:
In all you wrote, you cleverly left out what you do for a living over there and what you actually earn. It is not sufficient to rehash what we already know about clean environment, no generator, bla bla bla. Oga, what is your actual standard of living over there. No lie o,
make Ogun no strike you from here.

1 Like

Re: Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria by MasterofNL: 12:10am On Feb 12, 2022
LegalWolf:

See, brother let me give you a heart to heart conversation.

At present, I’m currently in University of St. Andrews in UK. Before I left the country last year, my salary was in excess of 400k net. Mind you, I’m just 27 and unmarried.

Why did I tell you all these stories: abroad is an uncertain enterprise. I may have strong academic record but I am a lawyer. It is extremely competitive here. Even if you’re in tech, there are thousands of Indians and other immigrants flocking into Europe every single year. It is way more competitive than people make it seem.

You’re not guaranteed of success here. Earning 9 - 10£ per hour may seem big when you convert it to Naira but it is not. When other expenses eat into your income, you may not be left with so many things after everything. Services are so ridiculously expensive here. And combining school with work during winter is hell. Real hell.

But should that stop you from coming over. I don’t think it should. The quality of life you will have here is top notch. You may meet amazing people and the masters you get here would definitely boost your chances of getting a job either here or back home.

All I just have to advise you is that you shouldn’t be slave to abroad. It’s not everyone abroad that will be more successful than those in Nigeria. Some in Nigeria will make more money and become more successful than some of us. Don’t run out of the country just because others are doing it and out of frustration. I hope this helps

This is the best comment on this thread so far. OP, listen to this.

1 Like

Re: Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria by Homextras: 2:26am On Feb 12, 2022
Some people, actually average people make that your 200k in one day in usa or Canada…the choice is yours.

2 Likes

Re: Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria by jimcaddy(m): 3:37am On Feb 12, 2022
Guy don't let anyone push you to go for uncertainty. It's so tough out there. Don't be fooled by what people say. The only time you can life a good life and get a decent job with work permit or PR is if you apply for a Skilled Migrant visa due to your academic qualifications. For example you have a Master's and a PhD, ehn ehn. But if you have just BSc, it's not enough O. You have to use school visa to enter and keep doing courses to prolong your stay while working blue collar jobs. You will pay bills, taxes. And you will also save to repay debt.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria by Mozenge1: 4:14am On Feb 12, 2022
Think of opportunities outside this zoo. Run away
Re: Does It Make Sense To Remain In Nigeria by Clinghton: 6:39am On Feb 12, 2022
If Nigerian economy has favoured you I think you should stay, instead if risking it.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Important Tips Before Coming To Russia Federation And Everything In General. / Okada Rider And Passenger Crushed To Death By Truck In Ibadan. Photos / See This Ghastly Car Accident In Osogbo (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.