Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,746 members, 7,915,090 topics. Date: Thursday, 08 August 2024 at 04:11 PM

Every Nigerian Wants To 'japa' And This Is The Implication - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Every Nigerian Wants To 'japa' And This Is The Implication (586 Views)

I'm Not Going To Get Married, What's The Implication For Me? / The Reality Of The First Born In Every Nigerian Family / My Husband's Pride Wants To Ruin Our Home (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Every Nigerian Wants To 'japa' And This Is The Implication by 1feoluwa: 12:36am On Feb 11, 2022
What does it mean to Japa?

‘Japa’ is a term used to refer to migration. When someone migrates from Lagos, Nigeria to the US, he or she can be said to have ‘Japa’-ed.

Why do many Nigerians want to Japa? No, it’s not every Nigerian’s dream to leave. As unconvincing as it might seem, it is not every Nigerian’s dream to Japa. However, it is a dream of the majority of Nigerians. Can we really fault them? The desire to migrate has been one very constant thing in history. This desire stems from various reasons. There is the desire to have a better quality of life for economic reasons to educational reasons. One thing is certain, this strong desire is not going to end anytime soon.

In case you are not so clear as to what Japa means, Japa is a Yoruba slang derived from “gbe ja” in Yoruba which can mean “to flee” or “to make a run for it”. Hence, the meaning transitioned to escaping from dangerous situations in the minds of every “smart” Nigerian. Japa is a Yoruba word that also means running away, bolting, absconding, escaping, getting out from imminent danger. It is not a jog, a casual trot, or a leisurely gambol. The word has become more and more popular as it is very relatable to an average Nigerian. If at all you aren’t Yoruba you just sort of know and understand the Japa word.

Africa has oftentimes been regarded as a continent of mass displacement and migration caused by abject poverty. The media’s portrayal of massive refugee flows and “boat migration” has not made matters any better. The notion that Africa is a ‘continent on the move’ is linked to stereotypical ideas of Africa as a continent of poverty and conflict.

In recent years, irregular migration from Africa to Europe has received extensive attention. The media’s reporting gives rise to an image of an ‘exodus’ of desperate Africans fleeing poverty at home. It is believed that Africans want to get to Europe at the first opportunity.

Read Full Article here: https://efeegube.com/every-nigerian-wants-to-japa-and-here-are-the-implications/

Re: Every Nigerian Wants To 'japa' And This Is The Implication by OfMay(m): 12:38am On Feb 11, 2022
Re: Every Nigerian Wants To 'japa' And This Is The Implication by Kobojunkie: 12:40am On Feb 11, 2022
OfMay:
As you all know, Reno Omokri is a relationship advisor and a motivation speaker!
What? shocked shocked shocked
ROFLMAO
grin cheesy grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin cheesy

The man's own relationships are in a hot mess yet he considers himself a what now? undecided
Re: Every Nigerian Wants To 'japa' And This Is The Implication by shilenji(m): 4:02am On Feb 11, 2022
Not every Nigerian wants to leave though.
Re: Every Nigerian Wants To 'japa' And This Is The Implication by thesicilian: 4:24am On Feb 11, 2022
OfMay:
As you all know, Reno Omokri is a relationship advisor and a motivation speaker!

You can Join Reno Omokri on Telegram now using the link: https://t. me/renoomokri

Or simply go to twitter and search for @renoomokri

Thank you and stay blessed.

And please note: the channel's credit goes to RenoOmokri on Twitter.
Reno Omokri is not on Telegram. He emphasizes that everytime on YouTube

(1) (Reply)

Missing My Feelings For My Work,has Now Made Me A Fool!!!! / Send Your Son To Prison / My Landlord’s Dog Won’t Let Me Sleep In Peace!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.