Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,667 members, 7,918,142 topics. Date: Sunday, 11 August 2024 at 11:52 PM

Is Iguodala An Edo Last Name? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Iguodala An Edo Last Name? (9468 Views)

Why PDP Needs An Edo V.p Candidate Come 2019 / See Adams Oshiomhole Digging It Out On Stage With An Edo Man(pic) / View Of BIAFRA From An EDO Perceptive (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Iguodala An Edo Last Name? by ektbear: 10:21pm On Jun 26, 2011
Just curious.
Re: Is Iguodala An Edo Last Name? by snowdrops(m): 10:30pm On Jun 26, 2011
It can be first or last name, but usually a last name.

But poster you should know that this is in the wrong section.
Re: Is Iguodala An Edo Last Name? by dempeople(m): 10:35pm On Jun 26, 2011
@ekt bear,

It has an Igbo meaning. Could also have an Edo meaning though I don't know.
Re: Is Iguodala An Edo Last Name? by snowdrops(m): 10:39pm On Jun 26, 2011
dem_people:

@ekt bear,

seriously? what is it?
Re: Is Iguodala An Edo Last Name? by Musiwa42: 10:44pm On Jun 26, 2011
who care, why should you care, what aperson name is.

Re: Is Iguodala An Edo Last Name? by snowdrops(m): 10:49pm On Jun 26, 2011
And what is the point of the picture?
Re: Is Iguodala An Edo Last Name? by dempeople(m): 10:53pm On Jun 26, 2011
snowdrops:

seriously? what is it?

Remember I wrote that it has an Igbo meaning but I'm not sure whether its an Igbo name.

The meaning in Igbo is something like " (Igu) Weed/wheat/hay,  (o) referring to a person in the like of he/she, (dala) fell/fall"

And so, "Iguodala" could easily mean "Weed/wheat/hay which he/she threw (which fell)"

Some Igbo names are in the context of questions e.g Ginika (what is greater (than God) ?), Onyekachi (who is greater than God?).

And so if we decide to interpret the word (Iguodala) in the context of a question then the meaning would be something like;

"Has the weed/hay/wheat fallen (from something carrying it)?"
Re: Is Iguodala An Edo Last Name? by Musiwa42: 10:54pm On Jun 26, 2011
the point of the picture, is that husband and wife, can come from different background and carry different passport. it is when they do not love themself, that they want to come from the same country.

Love does not know country.  Now If Nigeria break up. People who have married from a different ethnics group and they fall into two different country. are of better advantage than children from with parent from the same tribe. because they have dual citizenship of two countries and they hold two passport and not one.

It is a good thing all over the world to have dual citizen.
Re: Is Iguodala An Edo Last Name? by Nobody: 10:55pm On Jun 26, 2011
ekt_bear:

Just curious.

Sounds Bini to me.

Where is Honerico1?
Re: Is Iguodala An Edo Last Name? by gidson12(m): 9:22am On Jun 27, 2011
its a french name undecided
Re: Is Iguodala An Edo Last Name? by PhysicsMHD(m): 10:03am On Jun 27, 2011
Yeah, it is definitely an Edo name. If you facebook or linkedin around a bit you only see Binis with that name.

Here's proof, if you need it:

http://www.edoworld.net/Edo_Africa_names_dictionary_I.html

Are you asking because of Andre Iguodala?
Re: Is Iguodala An Edo Last Name? by daroz(m): 12:38pm On Jun 27, 2011
ekt_bear:

Just curious.

Its an Edo(Bini) last name, but why did u asked?
Re: Is Iguodala An Edo Last Name? by ektbear: 3:20pm On Jun 27, 2011
@PhysicsMHD and @daroz: Yep, I'm a fan of Iggy. Was curious cuz the name doesn't sound Yoruba or Igbo to me. Most of the other Nigerians in the NBA were easier for me to identify.
Re: Is Iguodala An Edo Last Name? by bokohalal(m): 4:04pm On Jun 27, 2011
dem_people:

@ekt bear,

Claiming Incorporated. Every southern Nigerian is either Igbo or Yoruba. If he was one of the two you would have seen him mentioned as an example of how high flying the ethnic group is. So he is not but another and in this instance,Edo.

(1) (Reply)

TY Danjuma - Nigeria Is On Fire / Over 30 FEDECO Ballot Boxes Intercepted In Delta State / Lagos, Onne Ports To Get Scanners In 2 Weeks – Customs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.