Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,047 members, 7,970,242 topics. Date: Wednesday, 09 October 2024 at 01:05 AM

Am I Missing Something, What Else Should I Do - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Am I Missing Something, What Else Should I Do (217 Views)

2-Storey Building Collapses In Calabar, 10 Rescued, 1 Missing (Video, Photos) / Missing Item: Bunch Of Keys / See What You Have Missing...strike While The Iron Is Hot (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Am I Missing Something, What Else Should I Do by Amyfintech: 9:12am On Feb 27, 2022
Dear friends

I acquired a land from my dad and just want to ask a question..

Is there any problem with a son buying a land from his dad and are there technicalities in property law as relates to family that I should be aware of..

A brief background:
I live abroad, I was called first by my mom and then dad and then my other siblings about the said land.. The land is in a city and was bought by my dad and he is still alive..
Two of us the sons wanted d land, the other did not accept d price tag...

I would have opted to sell the land now cos of the disturbing concerns, but my parents wants one of us his sons to owe their and develop there. Is there greatest desire, d have rejected all enquiries from the rich and mighty to sell them the land..
Re: Am I Missing Something, What Else Should I Do by Amyfintech: 9:21am On Feb 27, 2022
Please I need informed contributions,

Lawyer
Re: Am I Missing Something, What Else Should I Do by mymadam(m): 9:22am On Feb 27, 2022
Legally, there's absolutely nothing wrong in purchasing landed property from any legitimate source. However, the documentation must be perfected according to current applicable laws.
Re: Am I Missing Something, What Else Should I Do by Amyfintech: 9:32am On Feb 27, 2022
mymadam:
Legally, there's absolutely nothing wrong in purchasing landed property from any legitimate source. However, the documentation must be perfected according to current applicable laws.

Yes sir, applicable laws I know in my side is power of attorney and land Registration and documentation with the government, this I have done..

My fear is can any of my sibling come out tomorrow to claim ignorance or request for something on the said land... I don't know if the Nigeria constitution or customary still guarantee them any right on the said land..

While I really don't see applicability of this, I don't get why some people will say don't buy land from family member, go outside and deal with a stranger..

I have looked for precedence on this both here on Nairaland, but none.. I need to know what to be wary of..
Was I really foolish?
Re: Am I Missing Something, What Else Should I Do by mymadam(m): 9:45am On Feb 27, 2022
Amyfintech:

...My fear is can any of my sibling come out tomorrow to claim ignorance or request for something on the said land...

.... I don't get why some people will say don't buy land from family member, go outside and deal with a stranger...

True, a sibling might decide, or be prompted by a third party, 'to make trouble', for whatever reason.

Remember, "the enemy within is more dangerous than the enemy outside". Why? Because, "the closer, the deadlier".

However, ordinarily, if your documentation is perfect, you're okay smiley
Re: Am I Missing Something, What Else Should I Do by Amyfintech: 12:23pm On Feb 27, 2022
Lalatisclala, help me to the fp, so I get informed responses pls
Re: Am I Missing Something, What Else Should I Do by BrickDevo: 1:08am On Feb 28, 2022
The deed have been done, but to stay out of trouble going outside the family would have been better, since it is a family land, in Nigeria the sons of the father have claim to that land, you and your brothers owns the land unless stated otherwise by your father which is now the case. Ensure that your brother agrees to this deal to avoid future problems. Because he might come tomorrow and feign ignorant of the land deal. If i may ask are you the first born?

Son inherits land from the dad normally, it is strange that you are buying it. Seems weird.

If you need the design of your house please contact me via email on my signature.
Re: Am I Missing Something, What Else Should I Do by MRFIXER001: 7:45am On Feb 28, 2022
There's nothing wrong transacting within the family. All you need is to get all the proper documents most especially the CofO

(1) (Reply)

Surulere And Ojuelegba Properties Today. / Alakuko, Ikoyi, Oshodi, Ikeja, Ojodu, Agege And Mushin Industrial Sales / A Big Beautiful Two Storey Building For SALE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.