Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,872 members, 7,876,318 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 02:44 PM

Federalism: VAT, Check! Electricity, Check! What’s Next? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Federalism: VAT, Check! Electricity, Check! What’s Next? (944 Views)

States Banning Sale Of Alcohol Shouldn’t Get VAT On Beer - Ex-Minister, Adewole / You Can’t Increase VAT, Tinubu Tells FG / FG Removes VAT From Cooking Gas. Price To Crash (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Federalism: VAT, Check! Electricity, Check! What’s Next? by MrMaestro: 3:52pm On Mar 02, 2022
Outside of state policing, what’s next. People shouting for federalism federalism, what else is needed if state policing is adopted by NASS? I would say federalism would be fully accomplished by then.

At that point people need to face their own governors to do the needful for their own regions.

Other items moved to concurrent list:
- Railways moved to concurrent list.
- Airports moved to concurrent list.

5 Likes

Re: Federalism: VAT, Check! Electricity, Check! What’s Next? by jyz200(m): 3:54pm On Mar 02, 2022
Not yet other things still needed

1 Like

Re: Federalism: VAT, Check! Electricity, Check! What’s Next? by MrMaestro: 3:57pm On Mar 02, 2022
jyz200:
Not yet other things still needed
Like what (outside of state police)? Please give specifics. Don’t let federalism be a buzzword with no meaning.

1 Like

Re: Federalism: VAT, Check! Electricity, Check! What’s Next? by jyz200(m): 4:00pm On Mar 02, 2022
MrMaestro:

Like what? Please give specifics. Don’t let federalism be a buzzword with no meaning.
There’s what we called devolution of power

2 Likes

Re: Federalism: VAT, Check! Electricity, Check! What’s Next? by MrMaestro: 4:01pm On Mar 02, 2022
jyz200:

There’s what we called devolution of power
you replaced one word with another phrase.

Federalism is devolution of power. Next it’s Devolution of power is “State Autonomy”. Then it’s State Autonomy is “Regionalism”.

What does devolution of power give states that they cannot do currently? Outside of state policing?

1 Like

Re: Federalism: VAT, Check! Electricity, Check! What’s Next? by jyz200(m): 4:04pm On Mar 02, 2022
MrMaestro:
you replaced one word with another phrase. What does devolution of power give states that they cannot do currently? Outside of state policing?
A lot some things need to be removed from the exclusive list to the concurrent list
Re: Federalism: VAT, Check! Electricity, Check! What’s Next? by MrMaestro: 4:06pm On Mar 02, 2022
jyz200:

A lot some things need to be removed from the exclusive list to the concurrent list
ok What specific things do you think needs to be moved from exclusive list to concurrent list?
Re: Federalism: VAT, Check! Electricity, Check! What’s Next? by Nwaide01: 4:06pm On Mar 02, 2022
True federalism is LAYE which simply means Live As You Earn. Then contributes whatever percentage the federating units agreed on to the center.
Re: Federalism: VAT, Check! Electricity, Check! What’s Next? by Nobody: 4:09pm On Mar 02, 2022
Resources control.States should contribute to the federal.That is true federalism
Re: Federalism: VAT, Check! Electricity, Check! What’s Next? by MrMaestro: 4:10pm On Mar 02, 2022
Nwaide01:
True federalism is LAYE which simply means Live As You Earn. Then contributes whatever percentage the federating units agreed on to the center.
With the current VAT bill passing to go into effect, what exactly is the difference? As it currently stands, federal govt only gets percentage of those taxes, and NOT VAT. How is this new current situation with the VAT passing any different from LAYE? Specifics please.
Re: Federalism: VAT, Check! Electricity, Check! What’s Next? by jyz200(m): 4:14pm On Mar 02, 2022
MrMaestro:
ok What specific things do you think needs to be moved from exclusive list to concurrent list?
A lot
I told you

Re: Federalism: VAT, Check! Electricity, Check! What’s Next? by IGBOSON1: 4:24pm On Mar 02, 2022
Nwaide01:

Don’t mind the OP! He’s being clever by half and must think he’s dealing with kids!

I’ve noticed these people have been all over the media since yesterday, waxing lyrical about how…with this half-hearted constitution amendment, that Nigeria is getting ‘restructuring’! When in actual fact they’re just leaving the substance and chasing shadows!

For free, i can tell all reading this that the seismic shift in the political-economy and structure of the polity that will finally free up the regions/ethnicities to determine the right cause to their own destiny, develop at their own pace, and use their own resources (human and natural)….all efforts to achieve this will be truncated by the actions of the core north, and the inactions of the lily-livered, greedy and self-seeking political actors from the south and middle-belt!

These smartass commentators are now trying to argue that since Nigeria is undergoing the ‘restructuring’ agitators were asking for, there’s no more any need for Biafra, Oduduwa, and Ijaw/Niger-Delta republics! shocked
Re: Federalism: VAT, Check! Electricity, Check! What’s Next? by MrMaestro: 4:28pm On Mar 02, 2022
jyz200:

A lot
I told you
Definitely not. Procurement of ammunition and explosives, creation of states, creation of currency, nuclear energy, are all things that should continue to be handled by the federal government. We aren’t running a banana republic. Why on earth should states create their own currency? Or nuclear energy research (which eventually leads to nuclear bombs), or buy weapons from russia/ Pakistan on their own without the federal government’s approval? That’s mad.

1 Like

Re: Federalism: VAT, Check! Electricity, Check! What’s Next? by MrMaestro: 4:31pm On Mar 02, 2022
IGBOSON1:

Don’t mind the OP! He’s being clever by half and must think he’s dealing with kids!

I’ve noticed these people have been all over the media since yesterday, waxing lyrical about how…with this half-hearted constitution amendment, that Nigeria is getting ‘restructuring’! When in actual fact they’re just leaving the substance and chasing shadows!

For free, i can tell all reading this that the seismic shift in the political-economy and structure of the polity that will finally free up the regions/ethnicities to determine the right cause to their own destiny, develop at their own pace, and use their own resources (human and natural)….all efforts to achieve this will be truncated by the actions of the core north, and the inactions of the lily-livered, greedy and self-seeking political actors from the south and middle-belt!

These smartass commentators are now trying to argue that since Nigeria is undergoing the ‘restructuring’ agitators were asking for, there’s no more any need for Biafra, Oduduwa, and Ijaw/Niger-Delta republics! shocked
What exactly differentiates LAYE from the current revenue allocation setup?
Re: Federalism: VAT, Check! Electricity, Check! What’s Next? by mrvitalis(m): 4:35pm On Mar 02, 2022
MrMaestro:
Outside of state policing, what’s next. People shouting for federalism federalism, what else is needed if state policing is adopted by NASS? I would say federalism would be fully accomplished by then.

At that point people need to face their own governors to do the needful for their own regions.
Resource control sir

1 Like

Re: Federalism: VAT, Check! Electricity, Check! What’s Next? by MrMaestro: 4:41pm On Mar 02, 2022
mrvitalis:

Resource control sir
Norway exports oil. And they don’t allow states to collect the revenue for the endeavor. They put aside a small percentage of that revenue for oil into their sovereign wealth fund, and after decades of investments of that fund, social services for the entire country can be financed for the next 100 years. 4-Day work week, free healthcare, free education. Etc. Tell me, is the lack of resource allocation preventing those states in Norway from having roads? Factories? Clean water? Electricity? High living standard all around?

My point is, we will continue to make excuses for the next thousand years and will go NO WHERE. It’s time to hold leaders accountable and vote for people who deliver, and cast out those that don’t. Or accept mediocrity and get left behind. The choice is yours. I’m just glad other regions don’t have to be held back as much any longer.

2 Likes

Re: Federalism: VAT, Check! Electricity, Check! What’s Next? by mrvitalis(m): 4:49pm On Mar 02, 2022
MrMaestro:

Norway exports oil. And they don’t allow states to collect the revenue for the endeavor. They put aside a small percentage of that revenue for oil into their sovereign wealth fund, and after decades of investments of that fund, social services for the entire country can be financed for the next 100 years. 4-Day work week, free healthcare, free education. Etc. Tell me, is the lack of resource allocation preventing those states in Norway from having roads? Factories? Clean water? Electricity? High living standard all around?

My point is, we will continue to make excuses for the next thousand years and will go NO WHERE. It’s time to hold leaders accountable and vote for people who deliver, and cast out those that don’t. Or accept mediocrity and get left behind. The choice is yours. I’m just glad other regions don’t have to be held back as much any longer.
Norway is a nation ...Nigeria is a mere country with many nations

Stop comparing a country to a nation they are not the same

1 Like

Re: Federalism: VAT, Check! Electricity, Check! What’s Next? by MrMaestro: 4:55pm On Mar 02, 2022
mrvitalis:

Norway is a nation ...Nigeria is a mere country with many nations

Stop comparing a country to a nation they are not the same
Yet another excuse. It’s exactly the same. What about the United Kingdom? Is that not a country with many nations? Comprised of England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland. Should I compare Nigeria to UK instead? That might be worse.

Black people need to STOP MAKING EXCUSES!
Re: Federalism: VAT, Check! Electricity, Check! What’s Next? by mrvitalis(m): 5:01pm On Mar 02, 2022
MrMaestro:
Yet another excuse. It’s exactly the same. What about the United Kingdom? Is that not a country with many nations? Comprised of England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland. Should I compare Nigeria to UK instead? That might be worse.

Blank people need to STOP MAKING EXCUSES!
Reason why everyone wants to leave UK ...even tho UK gave each region autonomy

Listen to the people that own the land why is it hard for your likes to understand

People want to control their land and security why is it difficult ?
Nigerian structure has never worked anywhere in the world with similar characteristics ..every country that's not a nation use weak center strong regions every single one

Italy , Germany , Russia ,every single on

Why are you bent on controlling others ?
Re: Federalism: VAT, Check! Electricity, Check! What’s Next? by NGpatriot: 5:01pm On Mar 02, 2022
Restructure is transpiring step by step........

God Bless Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Federalism: VAT, Check! Electricity, Check! What’s Next? by MrMaestro: 5:08pm On Mar 02, 2022
mrvitalis:

Reason why everyone wants to leave UK ...even tho UK gave each region autonomy

Listen to the people that own the land why is it hard for your likes to understand

People want to control their land and security why is it difficult ?
Nigerian structure has never worked anywhere in the world with similar characteristics ..every country that's not a nation use weak center strong regions every single one

Italy , Germany , Russia ,every single on

Why are you bent on controlling others ?
I’ve already conceded state policing should be next up on the docket. Outside of that states already have control over their regions. They now have control over building railroads, they have control over building and modernizing airports. They have control over building roads, collecting state taxes, procuring investors, building train lines, building bus systems. Of all of these things they have control over, which of the states you are talking about have completed half of these things? Or is another excuse incoming?
Re: Federalism: VAT, Check! Electricity, Check! What’s Next? by naija4life247: 5:10pm On Mar 02, 2022
This NASS is doing what Saraki lead NASS and all PDP lead NASS could not do. Now, we know who are working and who were just doing propaganda.

Anyway, there is still many more to do.
Re: Federalism: VAT, Check! Electricity, Check! What’s Next? by MrMaestro: 5:10pm On Mar 02, 2022
I thank God for these bill passings by NASS. It will outright expose LAZY brain dead governors and their sympathizers who love defending mediocrity.
Re: Federalism: VAT, Check! Electricity, Check! What’s Next? by mrvitalis(m): 5:12pm On Mar 02, 2022
MrMaestro:

I’ve already conceded state policing should be next up on the docket. Outside of that states already have control over their regions. They now have control over building railroads, they have control over building and modernizing airports. They have control over building roads, collecting state taxes, procuring investors, building train lines, building bus systems. Of all of these things they have control over, which of the states you are talking about have completed half of these things? Or is another excuse incoming?
What state are you talking about ? The states that are mere mini Nigeria ? ...we should have states and regions that are relative to our ethnic nations

How can u have tiv in tarraba and Benue ...tiv should be a state ,idoma should be a state if an ethic group is too small then they look for people similar form an agreement then form a state

Egebema in imo and rivers
ASA in abia and rivers
Ndoki in abia and rivers

Those are fundamental to the progress of Nigeria first of all
That's what people mean by restructuring

Let tiv control give resource and police tiv

What's Benue ?

What's tarraba ...

2 Likes

Re: Federalism: VAT, Check! Electricity, Check! What’s Next? by naija4life247: 5:13pm On Mar 02, 2022
MrMaestro:

What exactly differentiates LAYE from the current revenue allocation setup?

The people you are arguing with cannot think. They just shout Restructuring because they heard their parents shouting it.
Re: Federalism: VAT, Check! Electricity, Check! What’s Next? by naija4life247: 5:14pm On Mar 02, 2022
mrvitalis:

What state are you talking about ? The states that are mere mini Nigeria ? ...we should have states and regions that are relative to our ethnic nations

How can u have tiv in tarraba and Benue ...tiv should be a state ,idoma should be a state if an ethic group is too small then they look for people similar form an agreement then form a state

Egebema in imo and rivers
ASA in abia and rivers
Ndoki in abia and rivers

Those are fundamental to the progress of Nigeria first of all
That's what people mean by restructuring

Let tiv control give resource and police tiv

What's Benue ?

What's tarraba ...

So that we will have 1,000 states in Nigeria

In Ogun state alone, we have Ijebus, Egbas, Aworis, Owus, Eguns, Oyos, e.t.c. yet you will not hear each of the sub-ethnics saying they want a state of their own.

Go and learn how to live in peace with your neighbours.

1 Like

Re: Federalism: VAT, Check! Electricity, Check! What’s Next? by mrvitalis(m): 5:25pm On Mar 02, 2022
naija4life247:

So that we will have 1,000 states in Nigeria

In Ogun state alone, we have Ijebus, Egbas, Aworis, Owus, Eguns, Oyos, e.t.c. yet you will not hear each of the sub-ethnics saying they want a state of their own.

Go and learn how to live in peace with your neighbours.
That's the business if egbas have the means to be a state fine why not

People like u made Europe fight for 100s of years till the realized ethnic nations are the way to go

What's wrong with having 1000 states if it brings peace , healthy competition and development ?

2 Likes

Re: Federalism: VAT, Check! Electricity, Check! What’s Next? by Perfectbeing(m): 5:54pm On Mar 02, 2022
State policing should only come to Nigeria when we have an excellent justice system. When an ordinary Nigerian can sue the police and win. If not state policing will cause more harm than good Nigeria.

Well I would want it to be possible that not just state should be involved in the building of infrastructures and electricity. It should be possible for rich private individuals to construct roads, railways and gencos if they have the money to do so. The government should only supervise and set the standards of these works.

1 Like

Re: Federalism: VAT, Check! Electricity, Check! What’s Next? by IGBOSON1: 6:45pm On Mar 02, 2022
mrvitalis:

That's the business if egbas have the means to be a state fine why not

People like u made Europe fight for 100s of years till the realized ethnic nations are the way to go

What's wrong with having 1000 states if it brings peace , healthy competition and development ?

That’s not even the point! The fella you’re responding to knew exactly what you meant, but tried to twist it to something else!

States or regional groupings should be formed based on homogeneity, esp’ for the three major ethnic groups! Of course there’d be situations where there are a number of smaller ethnic groups contiguous with one another, and in this case state/regional setups should be done by willing partners who have similar values and worldview! For instance, i doubt anyone would argue against Southern Kaduna having their own state!
Re: Federalism: VAT, Check! Electricity, Check! What’s Next? by Parachoko: 6:55pm On Mar 02, 2022
MrMaestro:
I thank God for these bill passings by NASS. It will outright expose LAZY brain dead governors and their sympathizers who love defending mediocrity.
It will also start exposing LAZY brain dead Local Government Chairman.

The days of caretaker committee is far gone.

My question on this Local Government issue now is that, will INEC start conducting Local Government election? Since the Local Government is no more under the state Government.
Re: Federalism: VAT, Check! Electricity, Check! What’s Next? by mrvitalis(m): 6:57pm On Mar 02, 2022
IGBOSON1:

That’s not even the point! The fella you’re responding to knew exactly what you meant, but tried to twist it to something else!

States or regional groupings should be formed based on homogeneity, esp’ for the three major ethnic groups! Of course there’d be situations where there are a number of smaller ethnic groups contiguous with one another, and in this case state/regional setups should be done by willing partners who have similar values and worldview! For instance, i doubt anyone would argue against Southern Kaduna having their own state!
Bless you brother ...they know exactly the truth but nah would never accept it because they want to dominate others

1 Like

Re: Federalism: VAT, Check! Electricity, Check! What’s Next? by Parachoko: 6:59pm On Mar 02, 2022
mrvitalis:

Bless you brother ...they know exactly the truth but nah would never accept it because they want to dominate others
I agree more needs to be done concerning achieving the kind of federalism you talk about.

But I don't think it can be achieve at once, is a step by step process.

(1) (Reply)

2023: Let's Keep To Agreement, I Backed You As Sen President – Wike Blast Atiku / As I governor, I slept in all the LGAs in Anambra State. Peter Obi / Omo Oluabis, Yoruba Nation Agitators To Protest For MNK's Release In America- pi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.