Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,773 members, 7,882,665 topics. Date: Sunday, 07 July 2024 at 11:24 AM

Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport (9546 Views)

Angry Citizen Blasts Immigration Officials In Lagos Airport For Bribery / Woman Returns N12 Million Naira She Found At MM Aiport Toilet / Nigerian immigration service website. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by otheloze: 4:34pm On Jun 29, 2011
Please can some one actually educate me on the constant collection of 200-300usd at the MM airport from mostly first time travelers, it seems so normal i wonder if this fee has been made official,i refuse to accept that Nigerians are actually this corrupt that it is openly exhibited at the gateway to the Nation for all foreigners to see.

Now, i concur with the notion that Nigeria dont have a leadership problem but a people problem
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by Nobody: 5:17pm On Jun 29, 2011
They demanded $100 from me because i have $6k on me,i refuse his request landing me 30mins late arguing with this stupid immigration officier before other officers came to my aid.
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by obowunmi(m): 5:41pm On Jun 29, 2011
Follow the rules and don't bribe anyone, they will leave you alone. This is common practice sha!
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by seanet02: 5:56pm On Jun 29, 2011
obowunmi:

Follow the rules and don't bribe anyone, they will leave you alone. This is common practice sha!
Which rules my wife? Be like say you never enter naija before, follow wetin for this country? You no know anything
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by otheloze: 6:28pm On Jun 29, 2011
Which rules my wife? Be like say you never enter naija before, follow wetin for this country? You no know anything

God bless u jare, d guy no really know wetin de happen for Naija, i guess u got an express pass or diplomatic immunity to make u de talk about rules for naija
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by otheloze: 6:29pm On Jun 29, 2011
besides what rules are u talking about
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by Osama10(m): 6:41pm On Jun 29, 2011
Those idiots at the airport can make you miss your flight.

For first timers travelling out of the country, you need to be very bold.
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by obowunmi(m): 7:55pm On Jun 29, 2011
seanet02:

Are you gay ?
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by obowunmi(m): 7:56pm On Jun 29, 2011
Meaning: if they holla you for money and you bribe one, they will text message each other and notify themselves of your generosity and as you go down the line you have to continue with the bribing.

If you arrive early and bone ya face, then you will be left alone.
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by seanet02: 8:35pm On Jun 29, 2011
obowunmi:

Are you man-lover ?
Okay give me one of your sister. Please
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by obowunmi(m): 9:41pm On Jun 29, 2011
Don't have any sisters ?
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by seanet02: 9:54pm On Jun 29, 2011
I will manage anybody from your extended family
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by seanet02: 9:56pm On Jun 29, 2011
I will manage anybody from your extended family
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by obowunmi(m): 9:57pm On Jun 29, 2011
Are you yoruba ? O se ya ono ba e na angry angry angry angry
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by seanet02: 10:15pm On Jun 29, 2011
Odua tokan nimi. Omo Lisabi ajogberu majogbeko eru nin sini eko kinsin niyan. Fun mi ni aburo e kan.

1 Like

Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by obowunmi(m): 10:39pm On Jun 29, 2011
ode oshi, gbe ara oshi e lo soun. fun mi ni iya re angry angry angry
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by seanet03: 10:48pm On Jun 29, 2011
Ma fun e niyami sa fun mi lomo to ba sedi bebere kan. Jeko ni iwaju to big shao

1 Like

Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by EzeUche1(m): 10:58pm On Jun 29, 2011
Where are the mods?  shocked shocked shocked

Fara bale!
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by lastpage: 1:00am On Jun 30, 2011
Even Ezeuche! grin

Moooods, where art thou?
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by Royal2010(m): 1:34am On Jun 30, 2011
seanet02:

Look i have never bribed in Nigeria before and I LIVE IN LAGOS.I experience this situation all the time,particularly with a virgin passport(after you must have renewed).Same thing happens at the seme border and at all other International Airport exit points namely Kano,Port',Abuja and so on.It will also shock some people that you need pay at least 4,000 to Immigration people before you passport is renewed at the passport office.Most people do not know this fact because they engage touts to help process their passports.This system is conducive to them because it helps the corruption infested Nigerian society.However, i have never paid all these.To change things,we cannot allow things like these to continue.We travel and see good things happening overseas, and we behave as if Nigerian is immune to changes.Just like somebody said, if you are clean and you are ready not to break any rules why must you pay those idiots.The best is that they will delay you,you can never miss your flight,all what they do is try to intimidate you that's all.If you know your right they will let you go.
Please let us change this society for the better.Those who are saying nothing can be done to what these idiots are doing should be ashamed of themselves.
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by Nobody: 1:44am On Jun 30, 2011
well said!
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by lepasharon(f): 2:05am On Jun 30, 2011
na wa o  undecided
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by otondo55: 2:48am On Jun 30, 2011
This Nigeria immigration at MM Airport are too silly and corrupt to the highest order.

imagine, collecting my friends BB in place of $200 they are demanding. they also collected $200 from me.

we are the only one, almost all my friends were victim of this bribe takers.

One was dumped in one of their room, as a delay tactics to miss his flight after giving them $300.

This is on daily basis, what kind of nation is this?
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by oseo1(m): 3:06am On Jun 30, 2011
If you dont stand up for your rights they will continue to collect your money. I have been traveling out of MM airport for 10 years and i have never paid a bribe. if you declare what you are carrying the have no right to disturb you so fight for your rights. You are legally allowed to carry as much money as you want however if its over $10k you better have a damn good reason why you are carrying so much and also proof of where the funds are from.

My first time traveling i was only 18 and i was traveling alone with over $6k but i didnt pay anyone.
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by jamace(m): 3:20am On Jun 30, 2011
Hmnn. This corruption issue is something else in Naija. Bribe is demanded everywhere you enter to do biz, whether official or private biz. It's a great disease. sad sad
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by TayoD1(m): 3:55am On Jun 30, 2011
@topic,

No doubt the people at our Ports prey on those who pass through them. What I have done over time is to make sure I have some left-over naira with me so I do not have to give them any dollars. Funny that about 4 years ago when I went to Naija, this custom woman asked me to drop some egunje for her. I decided to give her N1,000 which she refused. She told me to convert it to dollars and consider if that money means anything to either me or her. I quickly put the money back in my pocket and moved on.

Anyways, I was in Naija earlier this month and the latest thing they did to me at the Airport was different than I have ever witnessed. I was told I have to pay duties on some of the goods that I brought with me. I came into the country with about 8 bags, 4 of which included gift items that I was planning to give out at my brother's wedding which I came to attend. I was delayed because of these "contrabands" until I parted ways with N5,000.

In any case, I have N20,000 left over which I brought to the US for use on my way back through the Port. May God deliver us from the blood suckers!!!
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by Roland17(m): 4:33am On Jun 30, 2011
its the normal thing that happens to first time travelers, the worst is if u r travelling to the US, when i was about travelling, they demanded for their kola, i did not argue, cos we were much on the Queue, so i called my brother, he gave me the fake #500 a bank (Oceanic Bank Ipaja) issued to me the previous day and i gave it to them and went on my own grin grin grin, after that, the previous travels were very smooth cos u must know someone up there and luckily i met their Oga on the same flight.
"Wen in Rome act like the Romans"
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by iice(f): 4:41am On Jun 30, 2011
Na new thing? Isn't corruption in every corner of the society? Why should Airport be any different? undecided I agree jare. . .just bone them. If na insist. . .pass them N100. . .na the only money you hold grin
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by Enotfare: 4:52am On Jun 30, 2011
Those of you who claim to know your rights in Nigeria. I pray you really experience what the common man goes through so you will understand. I agree you have to be bold at times but always at an expensive cost!!!
Have you ever suggested how these corrupt officers should be punished? Dont you know that if there is no punishment for wrong doing, then wrong doing and evil will be the order of the day. This is a nation were IMPUNITY strives!!! sad
Pls people do suggest how we going to fix these ills instead of going for each others throat!
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by Nobody: 5:31am On Jun 30, 2011
@iice
The problem is they will insist on collecting USD don't even mention Naira to them.So crazy
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by anishe(m): 5:40am On Jun 30, 2011
I had some food stuff with me when i was travelling to the UK and the custom officers demanded that i pay N5000 for each bag of foodstuff. She said i can take the food stuff to their office and they will have to certify it okay for travelling.

I just pleaded with the officer to let me go with N3K for my 3 bags of foodstuff.
NA WA O
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by Nobody: 5:49am On Jun 30, 2011
if you are a nigerian you would know that 'settlement' is part of our culture. what is all the complain about? customs no dey wear uniform like police n mopol? why should they act differently?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Dont Come To Ghana If You Are Not Prepared. / Latest On Enugu International Airport Update Needed / Saudi-based Fraudsters Defraud 8 Kebbi Pilgrims Of Basic Travelling Allowances

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.