Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,938 members, 7,876,566 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 08:25 PM

Ukraine War: Western Sanctions Taking Toll On Us, Nigerian Students In Russia - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Ukraine War: Western Sanctions Taking Toll On Us, Nigerian Students In Russia (22390 Views)

Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! / Female Climber Found Frozen On Mountain After Vanishing 31Yrs Ago In Russia(Pics / Nigerians Who Used World Cup As Migration Strategy Stranded In Russia Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ukraine War: Western Sanctions Taking Toll On Us, Nigerian Students In Russia by 1stGenAmerican(f): 11:01am On Mar 10, 2022
franchasng:
You didn't capture all.

Sony Electronics and Games
All Russian Vodkas banned from being sold in US, Canada and some EU countries
Premier League
Champions League
FIFA
Olympic, in fact all world sports banned in Russia
Russian Oil & Gas sanctioned
90% of Russian banks removed from SWIFT
Russian airlines and planes banned from US, Canada, Australia, EU airspace

Japan and Tiawan ban sell of semiconductors to Russia

The ban on the sale of semi-conductors will do deep damage.

Some people don’t seem to understand how deep sanctions can impact a country. I visited Cuba in 2019. Pretty much every car is approximately 50 years old. Mechanics keep repairing the same cars and struggling for ways to do that because importing parts is out of the question. Basic things that most people take for granted, radio batteries for example, are extremely difficult for them to get. This can be Russia’s future.

2 Likes

Re: Ukraine War: Western Sanctions Taking Toll On Us, Nigerian Students In Russia by mastermaestro(m): 11:27am On Mar 10, 2022
YoungBlackRico:
Even china self is being very careful in this war. grin

Of course. In fact the West is hitting hard on Russia partly to make China think twice about its fantasy of annexing Taiwan.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ukraine War: Western Sanctions Taking Toll On Us, Nigerian Students In Russia by YoungBlackRico(m): 11:40am On Mar 10, 2022
mastermaestro:

Of course. In fact the West is hitting hard on Russia partly to make China think twice about its fantasy of annexing Taiwan.
That's why she doesn't even know where to stand at the moment. Who would have thought China will send aid to Ukraine? grin

3 Likes

Re: Ukraine War: Western Sanctions Taking Toll On Us, Nigerian Students In Russia by lecowas: 11:42am On Mar 10, 2022
All I see are bitter Nigerians here, they are so angry with those students in Russia, the reason is not far fetched, it's just because MOST of them don't have money to japa and have the pull me down syndrome. Witches everywhere. Naija na wa

2 Likes

Re: Ukraine War: Western Sanctions Taking Toll On Us, Nigerian Students In Russia by obanioluorun: 1:02pm On Mar 10, 2022
Antoeni:
Putin is accusing US of declaring an Economic war against Russia as the following companies pull out of the country. Can Russia survive this isolation?

Automobile:
Ford
General Motors
Toyota
Nissan
Volkswagen
Tech:
Facebook
Spotify
Roku
Apple
Twitter
Youtube
Microsoft
Intel
Amazon
IBM
Airbnb
Alstom
Aviation:
Boeing
Airbus
Consulting:
KPMG
Accenture
Delloite
Price WaterhouseCoopers
Ernst & Young
Energy:
Shell
BP
TotalEnergies
General Electric
Equinor
Exxon
Finance:
Norway’s $1.3 trillion Sovereign Wealth
Visa
Mastercard
American Express
Moody’s
Retails:
H&M
Heineken
Ikea
Puma
Inditex (Owns Zara)
Mothercare
Procter and Gamble
Prada
Estee Lauder Companies
Yum Brands
Unilever
McDonalds
Shipping:
Maerks
UPS
DHL
Entertainment:
Warner Media
Disney
Direct TV
if US could withdraw all these services from Russia please oga is Master.
Re: Ukraine War: Western Sanctions Taking Toll On Us, Nigerian Students In Russia by mach7(m): 2:50pm On Mar 10, 2022
1stGenAmerican:

So you’re saying that the ruble, which is basically worth pennies now, will completely rebound in 3-6 months? What opportunities will present themselves in a cash-strapped nation? What makes you think that these brands will want to return to a country where the buying power of consumers will be non-existent? Do you honestly believe the Russian government has the means to sustain this invasion much longer?
So many questions all rolled into one.

The fall of the Ruble is dictated by market dynamics and is precipitated by the exceptionally high demand for dollars which arose due to the freezing of the Central Bank's assets and cutting off supply of dollars to Russia. I never said that the "currency" will rebound after 3-6 months, I said the ECONOMY will rebound. Moreso, once the initial shocks have been felt and addressed, the currency will rise. However, it won't rise to its previous exchange rate and might actually be "artificially" devalued as a monetary policy strategy to discourage imports and boost exports and the country aggressively adopts import substitution to eliminate the pressures caused by the loss of foreign components.

As to the point of the economy being cash strapped, please share your proof and I hope it isn't from Mainstream Media. The Russian Central Bank had about $643bn in foreign reserves as at Jan 2022. Out of it, an estimated $390bn has been frozen as they denominated in Euros, Pounds and USD thus leaving $213bn. This is separate from the National Wealth Fund (Russia's version of Excess Crude Account) which is valued at $198bn as at Nov 2021 and wholly domiciled within Russia. This is also separate from the Russian Direct Investment Fund, also wholly domiciled within Russia and whose Capital under management is in excess of $10bn as at Jan 2022. That is a total of $421bn held by the Russian government within Russia. Note that I am not even including private capital held in Russian banks which the government can borrow if it needs to. Hence your comment about being "cash strapped" is shallow and not backed by research.

About the brands returning, it is a permanent bye bye. The Russian government passed a law today to nationalize the assets of the companies that left Russia, so it total bye bye for them. This is the link to the nationalization bill (copy into a Google browser and it auto-translate) - https://www.kommersant.ru/doc/5250509

Sustaining the "special military operation" is based on the available weapon stocks and spares to prosecute the war. Russia manufactures all its weapons systems with all critical components made by Russian state-owned defence enterprises. if it wants to sustain the operation indefinitely, it could choose to do so. Constraining factors will be political will to continue and losses of manpower (either killed or captured).

I hope I have addressed all your points?

2 Likes

Re: Ukraine War: Western Sanctions Taking Toll On Us, Nigerian Students In Russia by Nobody: 4:47pm On Mar 10, 2022
Lol I'm in Russia and this dude is lying.

Cards are working 100%. Currency is dropping and prices are increasing, hence balancing it out. Abeg shift president my ass.
Re: Ukraine War: Western Sanctions Taking Toll On Us, Nigerian Students In Russia by vislabraye(m): 9:02pm On Mar 10, 2022
Techguy96:

China still has a long way to go especially with their still of govt.

Mind you racism in US and Europe is child play to that of china, those are the people u want to be world power. Maybe u should work in a Chinese firm to really understand Chinese people.

Asians in general are worse racists.
But that aside, Russia isn't absolutely wrong in this invasion.
Re: Ukraine War: Western Sanctions Taking Toll On Us, Nigerian Students In Russia by Techguy96(m): 9:09pm On Mar 10, 2022
vislabraye:

Asians in general are worse racists.
But that aside, Russia isn't absolutely wrong in this invasion.
They are?
There are other ways of dealing with Ukraine rather than outright invasion.
Re: Ukraine War: Western Sanctions Taking Toll On Us, Nigerian Students In Russia by Techguy96(m): 9:14pm On Mar 10, 2022
mach7:

So many questions all rolled into one.

The fall of the Ruble is dictated by market dynamics and is precipitated by the exceptionally high demand for dollars which arose due to the freezing of the Central Bank's assets and cutting off supply of dollars to Russia. I never said that the "currency" will rebound after 3-6 months, I said the ECONOMY will rebound. Moreso, once the initial shocks have been felt and addressed, the currency will rise. However, it won't rise to its previous exchange rate and might actually be "artificially" devalued as a monetary policy strategy to discourage imports and boost exports and the country aggressively adopts import substitution to eliminate the pressures caused by the loss of foreign components.

As to the point of the economy being cash strapped, please share your proof and I hope it isn't from Mainstream Media. The Russian Central Bank had about $643bn in foreign reserves as at Jan 2022. Out of it, an estimated $390bn has been frozen as they denominated in Euros, Pounds and USD thus leaving $213bn. This is separate from the National Wealth Fund (Russia's version of Excess Crude Account) which is valued at $198bn as at Nov 2021 and wholly domiciled within Russia. This is also separate from the Russian Direct Investment Fund, also wholly domiciled within Russia and whose Capital under management is in excess of $10bn as at Jan 2022. That is a total of $421bn held by the Russian government within Russia. Note that I am not even including private capital held in Russian banks which the government can borrow if it needs to. Hence your comment about being "cash strapped" is shallow and not backed by research.

About the brands returning, it is a permanent bye bye. The Russian government passed a law today to nationalize the assets of the companies that left Russia, so it total bye bye for them. This is the link to the nationalization bill (copy into a Google browser and it auto-translate) - https://www.kommersant.ru/doc/5250509

Sustaining the "special military operation" is based on the available weapon stocks and spares to prosecute the war. Russia manufactures all its weapons systems with all critical components made by Russian state-owned defence enterprises. if it wants to sustain the operation indefinitely, it could choose to do so. Constraining factors will be political will to continue and losses of manpower (either killed or captured).

I hope I have addressed all your points?
Lol, I was taking u serious until I read ur last paragraph.
You obviously have no idea what u are talking about
Re: Ukraine War: Western Sanctions Taking Toll On Us, Nigerian Students In Russia by Techguy96(m): 9:14pm On Mar 10, 2022
MyphoneandI:
Lol I'm in Russia and this dude is lying.

Cards are working 100%. Currency is dropping and prices are increasing, hence balancing it out. Abeg shift president my ass.
Which card
Re: Ukraine War: Western Sanctions Taking Toll On Us, Nigerian Students In Russia by mach7(m): 9:28pm On Mar 10, 2022
Techguy96:

Share your own idea, since you are more enlightened.
Re: Ukraine War: Western Sanctions Taking Toll On Us, Nigerian Students In Russia by Karnice600: 2:44am On Mar 11, 2022
Keegan:

None of us can make nations world power, they work their ways to it with luck on their sides put sentiment aside. Also, I don't care about racism they are all the same, I may not know anything but I know none of this people have our interest in heart but the Portuguese, British and the US brutalized us, this cannot be said of Russia and China.

China is doing so currently. They would have done it in the past if they were capable. The British that you are blaming also ruled over (bastardized, in your words) the US too. But the US looks better today while Nigeria looks bastardized like you claimed. So why blame someone else for your mismanagement or misfortunes?
Isn't that failure on its own, to begin with?

1 Like

Re: Ukraine War: Western Sanctions Taking Toll On Us, Nigerian Students In Russia by Karnice600: 3:52am On Mar 11, 2022
Techguy96:

I tell you.
Reminds me of Broda Shagi giving you a woeful answer to a question and then ending it with "e shock you abi, you think I wee not get it"

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Living In Belgium As A Nigerian Student / Another 425 Nigerians Arrive From Saudi-arabia / Age Issue On Marriage Certificate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.