Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,955 members, 7,883,339 topics. Date: Monday, 08 July 2024 at 09:19 AM

Delta State Govt Illegal Extortion Of Money From Visitors In Asaba - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Delta State Govt Illegal Extortion Of Money From Visitors In Asaba (164 Views)

Press Release: Police Dismisses, De-kits Police Inspector For Illegal Extortion / Man Dies In Car Accident In Asaba, Three Days After His Wedding (Photos) / AMORAN Clears Air On Alleged Extortion Of Okada Riders In Ogun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Delta State Govt Illegal Extortion Of Money From Visitors In Asaba by Romaempire(m): 8:44am On Mar 10, 2022
I visited Asaba within the week and on my way out that same day,I was flagged down by sky blue uniform men called Okowa police(DESMA) and I pulled over.
That I wasn't on my seatbelt,I was asked for my vehicle particulars and driver's license which I gave and they requested we go to their office for not using my seatbelt.I was wondering if they where road safety officers and in few minutes a towing van arrived to tow my car,I pleaded with them and drove my car with the DESMA officers to their office along summit road beside road safety office.
My car was impounded and given a booking of 70,000 (Seatbelt offence is 10,000, Cost of Towing 20,000 & I wasn't towed, resisting arrest 40,000 which never happened).
I asked questions and I was given their DG's number by one of the officers,that I should call the DG and he will reduce my booking since I never did any of that but I never knew it was a trap as it was all to buy time for I wasn't residing in Asaba.
I called their DG(Ida Samuel Azubuike from Ika) who refused to listen but just asked how much I was booked & if I want it reduce & I told him I have drivers license and all my documents and my vehicle was never towed but I was booked for all that,and he instructed I come to his office to view video if am sure for his men has body camera's.Got there,video has been edited to where I pulled over & was asked to go to their office.(No place showing where my papers was checked or I was towed or even resisted arrest)The video was cropped out.
DG asked me to leave his office and go pay the 70k,my pleadings felt on deaf eyes.
That was how I spent 3days in Asaba paying hotel bills,I got tired and kept calling for it to be reduce so I can pay and recover my vehicle.The third day I went to the office and I saw someone pay 30k for phone call and a Keke rider was crying for a 100k booking.
Fellow Deltans and visitors,be careful when you drive in Asaba,IDA DESMA & his boys extort people with impunity,they are happy making people pay for offence they never committed,they have their POS machines around for you to pay with and part of the money on cash to them.
DG claim they are generating revenue nothing can be done about it,the state govt is aware of it,he appointed Ida and has been in office for the past 7yrs on this niferous extortion activities.
I was issued a POS payment of 50k and a hand receipt for the 20k cash I paid when I insisted.
God bless Nigeria
Re: Delta State Govt Illegal Extortion Of Money From Visitors In Asaba by Jonecbosco(m): 4:01pm On Apr 11, 2022
I had same experience this afternoon
I was flagged down immediately I drove out from a bank cos I was yet to put on my seat belt
Do you know these guys impounded my car and insisted I pay 20k before they release the car to me.
Fine for seatbelt violation by road safety should be around 2 or 3k, but these guys are intimidatingly ripping people off 20k on the ground of seatbelt violation
Daylight robbery in Delta state!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Meaning Of This Dream? / Few Hours After Soludo Inauguration, EFCC Arrests Willie Obiano At Lagos Airpo / Rich Men Are Complaining In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.