Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,957 members, 7,906,620 topics. Date: Wednesday, 31 July 2024 at 01:20 PM

Throwback Record Of The Week: Weird MC - After Da Storm (2006) - Music Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Music Business / Throwback Record Of The Week: Weird MC - After Da Storm (2006) (343 Views)

Throwback Record Of The Week: Tuface Idibia – Grass 2 Grace (2006) / Throwback Record Of The Week: MI Abaga - Illegal Music 2 (2012) / Free Entry Artist Of The Week (online Music Contest Powered By Unilagmusic/adm) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Throwback Record Of The Week: Weird MC - After Da Storm (2006) by DoubleSixMUZIK(m): 6:49am On Mar 11, 2022
Throwback Record Of The Week: Weird MC – After Da Storm (2006)

Written By Amechi "Double Six" Okoli

Adesola Adesimbo Idowu, better known as Weird MC is undoubtedly one of the most influential women in Nigerian hip hop. She made a crystal-clear statement in 1997 when she dropped the classic track “Allen Avenue”, which music critics would agree was well ahead of it’s time.

It was the lead single off her debut album “Simply Weird”, and in all honesty, that was the album I originally planned to feature on my weekly throwback series.

However, the album, which was released in 1997, is nowhere to be found online. But, I’m hoping she comes across this article and re-releases it for our listening pleasure!

All the same, 2006’s “After Da Storm” is equally a classic, and it was released at a time when the Nigerian music industry was taking a sharp turn for the better.

“Ijoya”, which was the lead single off the album, was a smash hit, and it set the stage for what the future of hip hop and Afrobeats fusion would become.

The Don Jazzy-produced single would also have an animated video, which was probably the first of its kind in Nigeria. An AMEN Award and a Channel O Award for best special effects are testaments to just how revolutionary the video was.

“After Da Storm” wasn’t your typical hip hop album, as it was packed with a lot of Afrobeats flavor. Nonetheless, it had its fair share of bangers.

Besides the chart-topping “Ijoya”, my personal favorites off the album were “Kampe”, “Tireni” ft. Kween, and “Palava” ft. Tuface & Blackface.

Massive shout out to the legendary Weird One for giving Nigerian women the confidence to compete with the men in the Nigerian hip hop space!

Amechi “Double Six” Okoli is a professional writer and music producer with a strong passion for Nigerian hip hop music.

Whatsapp him on +2348033422206, and follow on IG - @amechi_okoli

Re: Throwback Record Of The Week: Weird MC - After Da Storm (2006) by illicit(m): 7:17am On Mar 11, 2022
Na man she be

cool
Re: Throwback Record Of The Week: Weird MC - After Da Storm (2006) by slimjohn2k5: 7:20am On Mar 11, 2022
Where she dey now?
Re: Throwback Record Of The Week: Weird MC - After Da Storm (2006) by OBALOLA55(m): 7:29am On Mar 11, 2022
THIS BROS STILL DEY NAIJA shocked
Re: Throwback Record Of The Week: Weird MC - After Da Storm (2006) by DoubleSixMUZIK(m): 7:18am On Mar 14, 2022
slimjohn2k5:
Where she dey now?

I think she relocated to the U.S

(1) (Reply)

New Tunes- PLAYBOYY -TONIGHT / Make Money Online Easily / Download - Rev-o Ft Double Six - Eko BAY (prod By Double Six)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.