Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,527 members, 7,905,042 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 July 2024 at 02:16 AM

Nairalanderz,plz Tell Me Abt Imo State. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nairalanderz,plz Tell Me Abt Imo State. (2352 Views)

Imo State Carnival 2015 - Pictures Thread / Imo State Mandatory Bride Prize List / The Cost Of Marrying An Mbaise Imo State Woman (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairalanderz,plz Tell Me Abt Imo State. by manblaaque(m): 10:35pm On Jun 30, 2011
plz help me guyz.just got postd 2 imo state 4my youth service.i know nothing abt d state.plz,whoeva knows anytn abt d state shud kindly tell me asap.e.g,dere culture,taboos,how rural/urban d state is,d current secuirity situation dere etc, thankz guyz.
Re: Nairalanderz,plz Tell Me Abt Imo State. by gibsonride: 8:37am On Jul 01, 2011
Following the preseason, each of the thirty-two teams embark on a seventeen-week, sixteen-game schedule, with the extra week consisting of a bye to allow teams a rest sometime in the middle of the season.

Internet meme
Re: Nairalanderz,plz Tell Me Abt Imo State. by preselect(m): 12:14pm On Jul 01, 2011
@manblaaqe
if there's anything called the most peaceful state in Nigeria, it's IMO. I lived and grew up there. I've been out of the country for long though, I hear kidnappers have started acting there, but it's mainly to get money, not really for violence.

However, it's a quiet state, owerri, the capital, has many schools within and around it( IMO state university, alvan college, futo, fed poly nekede, agric college etc) this means a lot of young people and fun. Lots of hotels, etc.

Nothing to fear. It's not bauchi. Nobody is out to kill you bc of your religion, or tribe, or political party, or state of origin. Have fun. Obey the law. Be yourself.
Re: Nairalanderz,plz Tell Me Abt Imo State. by AndreUweh(m): 3:30pm On Jul 01, 2011
Imo state was created in 1976 by the M. Muhammed regime. The capital is Owerri. Other major towns are Orlu and Okigwe. Other developing towns include Oguta, Mgbidi, Isinweke, Awo Omama, Umuelemai, Afor Ogbe etc.
Tourist sites include Oguta wonderlake, Abadaba lake, birth site of King Jaja, the source of Imo River in Onuimo LGA.
Major markets include Orlu main Market, Owerri Market, Orie Agu Nsu, Ekeikpa at Isinweke, Afor Ogbe, Anhara market in Isiala Mbano etc.
Re: Nairalanderz,plz Tell Me Abt Imo State. by AndreUweh(m): 3:43pm On Jul 01, 2011
Agriculture is widely practiced in Imo state. Some of the crops produced by Imo people includes Rice-widely produced in Ihitte/Uboma, Ohaji/Egbema and Oguta. Others include cocoayam, maize, yam, etc
Fishing business is high in the state as there are so many fish ponds in the state. Some are private owned. Snail business is also growing.
Rivers in Imo state are as follows: Imo where the state derived its name, Nworie, Urashi, Njaba etc.
Re: Nairalanderz,plz Tell Me Abt Imo State. by AndreUweh(m): 3:47pm On Jul 01, 2011
The major hill in Imo state is In Okigwe.
There are two major prisons in the state and they are located at Owerri and Okigwe.
Palm oil and Kernel is widely produced and marketed.
Some of the industries in Imo state includes brewries, poultry, clay, shoe manufacturing, weaving, etc.
Re: Nairalanderz,plz Tell Me Abt Imo State. by AndreUweh(m): 3:50pm On Jul 01, 2011
Some of the cultural festivals include Ozuru-Imo, (cultural contest that involves showcasing the cultures of the 27 local councils.
Oji Mbaise.
Iwa Akwa.
Okonko
Ikeji festival, Aro Ndiizuogu.
Egwu Abigbo etc.
Re: Nairalanderz,plz Tell Me Abt Imo State. by AndreUweh(m): 3:56pm On Jul 01, 2011
Some of the major secondary schools include: Madonna Senior secondary school for science, Isinweke.
St Augustine Nkwerre.
Emmanuel College Owerri.
Govt College Owerri.
Ihube boys high school, Okigwe,
Ihuoma girls Orlu.
St Aquinas high school Mbano.
Community secondary school Ikenanzizi, Obowu.
Community secondary school Onicha Uboma, Isinweke.
Govt college Okigwe.
Mbaise grammer school.
Re: Nairalanderz,plz Tell Me Abt Imo State. by AndreUweh(m): 4:05pm On Jul 01, 2011
Imo state has a pro league 1 club named as Heartland currently. It was in the past called Spartans, Iwuanyanwu Nationale.
There is also Grass Hopers Handball club for females and Imo lions for males.
There are two major stadiums in the state namely Dan Anyiam stadium and Orlu township stadium.
Imo state alone has eight players currently playing for the Falcons at the female world cup in Germany.
The first Nigerian gold medalist-Chioma Ajunwa is from Imo state.
Re: Nairalanderz,plz Tell Me Abt Imo State. by AndreUweh(m): 4:09pm On Jul 01, 2011
The governor of Imo state is Owelle Rochas Anayo Okorocha.
The speaker is Chief Benjy Uwajumogu, from Isinweke.
Re: Nairalanderz,plz Tell Me Abt Imo State. by AndreUweh(m): 4:14pm On Jul 01, 2011
Imo state has an estimated population of 5 million people. The population of the state is distributed almost equally in all the LGA's, unlike in some states especially in the west and in the north where population is mostly concentrated in urban areas.
Re: Nairalanderz,plz Tell Me Abt Imo State. by AndreUweh(m): 4:18pm On Jul 01, 2011
Some popular politicians in the past and present include--Ozumba Mbadiwe, Sam Mbakwe, Evan Enwerem, Chief Arthur Nzeribe, Chief Emmanuel Iwuanyanwu, Nze Fidelis Chukwu, Ezekiel Izuogu, Sylvester Ugo etc.
Re: Nairalanderz,plz Tell Me Abt Imo State. by AndreUweh(m): 4:24pm On Jul 01, 2011
Popular footballers from Imo state are:
Dan Anyiam, Henry Nwosu, Mobi Oparaku, Emmanuel Osigwe, Bennedith Akwuegbu, Godwin Okpara, Celestine and Emmanuel Babayaro, Kelechi Emetole, Kevin Onwanna, Sunny Ikwuagwu, Benjy Nzeakor, Pat Ekeji, John Chiedozie, Sam Okparaji, Emmanuel Amunike etc.
Re: Nairalanderz,plz Tell Me Abt Imo State. by AndreUweh(m): 4:29pm On Jul 01, 2011
Notable nairalanders from Imo state include: Agaba, Pres-elect, Mikeansy, Houvest, Andre Uweh, Asha80, 1025, Abagworo, Amaka, Eziachi, Dede1 etc.
Re: Nairalanderz,plz Tell Me Abt Imo State. by manblaaque(m): 6:54pm On Jul 01, 2011
@andre uweh and pres elect,infact u guyz ar 2much!tank u so much 4dose helpful tips, but andre uweh,plz tell me wat d employment situation is like in imo as at present.
Re: Nairalanderz,plz Tell Me Abt Imo State. by preselect(m): 8:04pm On Jul 01, 2011
manblaaque:

@andre uweh and pres elect,infact u guyz ar 2much!tank u so much 4dose helpful tips, but andre uweh,plz tell me wat d employment situation is like in imo as at present.

you're welcome cheesy

unfortunately i've not been home in over 5 yrs ( shocked OMG its been long o ) but i'm pretty sure it'll reflect the unemployment level across the nation.
however, owerri is about less than 90mins away from port-harcourt, aba is about 40 mins away, onitsha is 60 mins away. if you're in Owerri you are sitting in the middle of a triangle made up of Aba, Onitsha and PH. employment opportunities wont be that far. you have the advantage of a nice medium city(owerri) and the advantage of huge happening places (PH, Aba,Onitsha)

enjoy cool
Re: Nairalanderz,plz Tell Me Abt Imo State. by AndreUweh(m): 8:44pm On Jul 01, 2011
manblaaque:

Thanks for the interest you have shown in my state.
There are many employment opportunities just like in other states excluding Lagos state. However, Imo state has an excessive manpower that diminishes the employment opportunities. Are you not surprised that for the last 19 years, Imo state has led in University enrolment.
Do not be discouraged, just organise your C.V well. Learn some interview skills and be confident. I can be of good help in this area but should not be for the purpose of this thread.
I do not know your speciality but I have got one confidential info for you. INEC Owerri is about to recruit people with computer science and IT background. It will soon be advertised.
Re: Nairalanderz,plz Tell Me Abt Imo State. by manblaaque(m): 12:21am On Jul 02, 2011
@pres elect-dt'z veri interestn and revealn,tank u.
@andre umeh-i aprici8 d offer,bt my discipline is linguistics,as i studied english.i'll surely b in touch.kindly post ur no.

(1) (Reply)

The Igbos & Yorubas Of Sierra Leone / Meet The Original Inhabitant Of Gwagwalada ( The Bassas) / When Women Seek To Trap Men With " Kayan Mata"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.