Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,834 members, 7,872,804 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 10:25 PM

Why Is It That Most Predators Normally Don't Attack Humans? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Is It That Most Predators Normally Don't Attack Humans? (2919 Views)

How Humans Evolved After The Asteroid Hit . / If Animals Switched Sides With Humans And Other Memes[photos] / Check Out The Only Animals Other Than Humans That Haave Sex for Pleasure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is It That Most Predators Normally Don't Attack Humans? by TheSourcerer: 12:09pm On Mar 22, 2022
Why is it that most predators normally don't attack humans?

Because, over an evolutionary time span, eating humans has been seriously bad news.

If you eat a gazelle, the other gazelles run away. If you try to eat a baby monkey the monkey group may try to defend it but if you succeed nothing much will happen.

If you eat a human, people will come after you with spears and arrows. They will kill not just you but members of your family and even other members of your species. They will not forget. They will continue to kill your species for years.

How does evolution solve this problem? You evolve not to eat humans.

Why did humans evolve such lousy fighting/defence abilities and speed compared to other wild animals

We wouldn’t last a day in the wild without a weapon.
Humans are the most terrifying predator on earth. There’s a reason we killed our way to the top of the food chain on all 7 continents. Here are our evolved characteristics that make us so terrifying.

Speed :Humans aren’t great in a sprint, but we can run forever. We shed most our hair for better heat management. We evolved sweat glands for same reason.

Our hips are optimized for energy efficient movement and we hunt in packs. If we start pursuing you, we will never stop.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Is It That Most Predators Normally Don't Attack Humans? by TheSourcerer: 12:11pm On Mar 22, 2022
Vision :Human eyes are incredible. While we don’t have range of an eagle, or the night vision of a cat we still have some of the finest eyes in the animal kingdom. We can see over 8 million shades of color, fine detail up close and motion or light dozens of miles away.

Communication Humans are capable of a wide range of sounds and volumes. We’ve developed languages to convey complex details of plans and the positions of targets and we can shout them across a distance or whisper them as we stalk. We also can build tools to extend our communication range much farther than our bodies can on their own.

Intelligence Speaking of our penchant for tools. Human brains grant us all kinds of advantages. We can develop complex hunting plans.
Observe our prey and learn their weaknesses or the times and places where they’re vulnerable. We can build traps and weapons, not just to increase our capabilities, but to target specific weaknesses of our prey.

7 Likes

Re: Why Is It That Most Predators Normally Don't Attack Humans? by Zonefree(m): 12:12pm On Mar 22, 2022
cool
Re: Why Is It That Most Predators Normally Don't Attack Humans? by ThreeEyedRaven: 12:12pm On Mar 22, 2022
Try making yourself available to them lemme check something

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is It That Most Predators Normally Don't Attack Humans? by TheSourcerer: 12:15pm On Mar 22, 2022
Writing While we’re on the subject of externalizing our abilities, we can write down what we learn.
This lets us pass hard earned knowledge about the weaknesses of other animals, or the ways to build weapons and traps from generation to generation. Writing is one of the main reasons we went from this

1 Like

Re: Why Is It That Most Predators Normally Don't Attack Humans? by TheSourcerer: 12:15pm On Mar 22, 2022
To this within a very short time we learnt about technology

2 Likes

Re: Why Is It That Most Predators Normally Don't Attack Humans? by TheSourcerer: 12:21pm On Mar 22, 2022
If you took all our tools away, burned our libraries and made us start from scratch, most us would die in the food shortage that followed, but the survivors would rebuild it all over the next few thousand years.

And we’d still be the most terrifying predators on earth.

5 Likes

Re: Why Is It That Most Predators Normally Don't Attack Humans? by dawnomike(m): 12:57pm On Mar 22, 2022
Interesting...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Is It That Most Predators Normally Don't Attack Humans? by Vitamin17(m): 1:32pm On Mar 22, 2022
Yes and I totally agree with your other theory as regards intelligence I think is the most vital point up there, just envisage lower animals on par with our level of intelligence it would have been a game changer for them

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Is It That Most Predators Normally Don't Attack Humans? by BuddhaPalm(m): 2:14pm On Mar 22, 2022
Vitamin17:
Yes and I totally agree with your other theory as regards intelligence I think is the most vital point up there, just envisage lower animals on par with our level of intelligence it would been a game changer for them

Even if they become as intelligent, they lack opposable thumbs and fine-motor control.

1 Like

Re: Why Is It That Most Predators Normally Don't Attack Humans? by TheSourcerer: 2:20pm On Mar 22, 2022
BuddhaPalm:

Even if they become as intelligent, they lack opposable thumbs and fine-motor control.

The opposable thumps yes , especially them , this along with Intelligence , consciousness of being makes humans.....humans.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Is It That Most Predators Normally Don't Attack Humans? by MJBOLT: 2:24pm On Mar 22, 2022
if they acquire human intelligence,they will find a way around it.

BuddhaPalm:

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Is It That Most Predators Normally Don't Attack Humans? by LordIsaac(m): 2:30pm On Mar 22, 2022
Visit a lion's den today, let's confirm if they've held family meeting not to harm humans grin

4 Likes

Re: Why Is It That Most Predators Normally Don't Attack Humans? by Judioro: 2:41pm On Mar 22, 2022
BuddhaPalm:

You took the words right out of my mouth
Re: Why Is It That Most Predators Normally Don't Attack Humans? by Vitamin17(m): 3:01pm On Mar 22, 2022
BuddhaPalm:

Chimpanzee, orangutan, gorilla etc have opposable thumbs maybe except fine-motor control they can solve that if they are as intelligent as homo sapiens don't you think so? �
Re: Why Is It That Most Predators Normally Don't Attack Humans? by Vitamin17(m): 3:02pm On Mar 22, 2022
MJBOLT:
if they acquire human intelligence,they will find a way around it.

Exactly
Re: Why Is It That Most Predators Normally Don't Attack Humans? by RoyalBoutique(m): 3:43pm On Mar 22, 2022
Ok then, go stand in front of a lion and show it this your nairaland post.

1 Like

Re: Why Is It That Most Predators Normally Don't Attack Humans? by Karleb(m): 5:09pm On Mar 22, 2022
The only thing we have over these animals is nothing but our intelligence.

Venom, zero.
Sharp claw, zero.
Speed, zero.
Fur, close to zero.
Strength, minimum.
Subsonic ability, zero.
Supersonic ability, zero.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is It That Most Predators Normally Don't Attack Humans? by TheSourcerer: 6:09pm On Mar 22, 2022
Vitamin17:
Yes and I totally agree with your other theory as regards intelligence I think is the most vital point up there, just envisage lower animals on par with our level of intelligence it would have been a game changer for them
it will be... Good thing evolution gave us big brains smiley, we have one of the biggest brains in relation to our size .
Re: Why Is It That Most Predators Normally Don't Attack Humans? by TheSourcerer: 6:11pm On Mar 22, 2022
LordIsaac:
Visit a lion's den today, let's confirm if they've held family meeting not to harm humans grin
I thought god gave us dominion over all animals smiley
Re: Why Is It That Most Predators Normally Don't Attack Humans? by TheSourcerer: 6:12pm On Mar 22, 2022
Karleb:

Venom, zero.
Sharp claw, zero.
Speed, zero.
Fur, close to zero.
Strength, minimum.
Subsonic ability, zero.

Arnt you glad to be Humansmiley
Re: Why Is It That Most Predators Normally Don't Attack Humans? by Karleb(m): 6:18pm On Mar 22, 2022
TheSourcerer:
Arnt you glad to be Humansmiley

I am. I'm glad I'm on top of the food chain by chance but aside from my intelligence, I know I am as weak as ***k.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is It That Most Predators Normally Don't Attack Humans? by TheSourcerer: 6:34pm On Mar 22, 2022
Karleb:

I am. I'm glad I'm on top of the food chain by chance but aside from my intelligence, I know I am as weak as ***k.
thanks to technology we would even get lazier ,
You know it will affect our evolution sowhow right ? Just in a few centuries we walked the Earth we have literilly removed ourselves from our Natural habitat and changed almost everything around us
Re: Why Is It That Most Predators Normally Don't Attack Humans? by HYDEEE: 6:40pm On Mar 22, 2022
Karleb:

Venom, zero.
Sharp claw, zero.
Speed, zero.
Fur, close to zero.
Strength, minimum.
Subsonic ability, zero.

I just show that the human intelligence supersedes all these abilities you listed. Of what use are those abilities if you keep getting outwitted by "weaker" animals which only possess high intellect as their only ability.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Is It That Most Predators Normally Don't Attack Humans? by HYDEEE: 6:42pm On Mar 22, 2022
TheSourcerer:
I thought god gave us dominion over all animals smiley
Yes o, but nor go try lion 1v1 e get why cheesy cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Why Is It That Most Predators Normally Don't Attack Humans? by Vitamin17(m): 6:42pm On Mar 22, 2022
TheSourcerer:
it will be... Good thing evolution gave us big brains smiley, we have one of the biggest brains in relation to our size .

That's right
Re: Why Is It That Most Predators Normally Don't Attack Humans? by Karleb(m): 6:46pm On Mar 22, 2022
HYDEEE:
I just show that the human intelligence supersedes all these abilities you listed.

Yes. I acknowledged this. But the OP was writing wetin I no understand about speed, eye sight and whatnot.

A bear will outrun any human and if you climb a tree, bad news. Bear can climb too.

A baby human is useless and can starve to death if you don't feed it within its first 4 years. A baby snake can kill an adult human.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is It That Most Predators Normally Don't Attack Humans? by delzbaba(m): 7:19pm On Mar 22, 2022
Yes its true,next time you see a lion do this

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Why Is It That Most Predators Normally Don't Attack Humans? by HYDEEE: 7:20pm On Mar 22, 2022
Karleb:

Yes. I acknowledged this. But the OP was writing wetin I no understand about speed, eye sight and whatnot.

A bear will outrun any human and if you climb a tree, bad news. Bear can climb too.

A baby human is useless and can starve to death if you don't feed it within its first 4 years. A baby snake can kill an adult human.

What the op said is true, it is no longer news that we have these abilities. My main ish is the human physical weakness, as op said advance in technology has made humans generally weaker I think it is still dependant individually, you can't be performing non taxing activities like coding 24\7 and expect to have the strength of a bear. While we no longer run down big games or battle others for survival that doesn't mean current humans are useless physically, if you get watch some sports or events you will see that humans are capable of impressive feats of strength even in this modern era.

As for the infants not only humans but other animals spend years before they are capable of surviving by themselves.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is It That Most Predators Normally Don't Attack Humans? by michlins(m): 9:50pm On Mar 22, 2022
Karleb:

our ancestors hunted animals by chasing them until the animals get exhausted and stop running.

That was before we developed the ability to throw sticks and set traps. That's when we started losing our strength and then our brain power started expanding into ways we can catch a hunt without help

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Is It That Most Predators Normally Don't Attack Humans? by Enceladus(m): 10:28pm On Mar 22, 2022
Because they evolved to fear us. It is now instinct for them to fear us the same way sex and many other biological processes are done instinctively.
Re: Why Is It That Most Predators Normally Don't Attack Humans? by cayorday89(m): 6:26am On Mar 23, 2022
HYDEEE:
Yes o, but nor go try lion 1v1 e get why cheesy cheesy

This is a confirmation that aside the intelligence, which tells us when to run and hide for our own safety when it's a 1vs1 situation, we also have the numbers advantage against them, i.e we most times go to attack them in numbers and with the use of weapons.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Waec Confirmation Of Results / Jamb To Admits Only 527,000 Candidates - Registrar / Being Lazy Is A Sign Of Intelligence, Scientists Claim

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.