Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,407 members, 7,881,480 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 08:52 PM

Yoruba Translators, Need Your Help! - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba Translators, Need Your Help! (1451 Views)

A Hot Job For Translators / Pro Translators Are Needed Urgently / Urgent Nembe,bayelsa,okrika And Kalabari Translators To English Needed. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yoruba Translators, Need Your Help! by Nnenna1(f): 5:27am On Jul 03, 2011
[flash=450,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4pyJ9Df27E[/flash]

So I have a friend who's trying to get the meaning of the second part of this vid (1:05 minutes and onward). I don't know much Yoruba, so could you help out?

Btw, could anyone explain the significance of Yemaya? I'm guessing she's the Goddess Osun but I'm not sure.
Re: Yoruba Translators, Need Your Help! by IFELEKE(m): 8:15pm On Jul 03, 2011
Poster,
It's Yemoja not yemoya,Yemoja is the goddess of the sea.Yemoja is like a mermaid but with deeper role/responsibility than the english version.It's noteworthy to draw the line between Yemoja and Osun.Osun is a goddess of fertility though depicted by a river in Osogbo southwestern Nigeria,Osun used to be the favourite wife of Sango The god of thunder and one time Alaafin of The Old and Powerful Oyo Empire,she metamorphosed into a river after the demise of Sango. . .That's the summary of a long and colourful aspect of the Yoruba Tradition.
Re: Yoruba Translators, Need Your Help! by newmusic: 12:19am On Jul 04, 2011
It's Yemoja not yemoya
Latinos pronounce J like y or h.
but youve given a perfect summary, thumbz up.

OP what questions do you still want to ask? This is interesting.
Re: Yoruba Translators, Need Your Help! by newmusic: 1:01am On Jul 04, 2011
I listened to the song again,

I can hear little of what she is saying due to accent problem, she is actually speaking yoruba of ondo,ekiti and ijesha dialect, ijesha is in oshun state. They(ijesha) speak the same language with ondo and ekiti.

1:05 - 2:30

-Yemoja Olodo awoyo yemoja ( yemoja the goddess  of the river )

- mi aro kete, mi a romi, mi a ro kete mi a kungo, mi a ro kete omi dara olodo awoyo yemoja ( i will fill up i will fill water, i will fill up i will fill bottle, i will fill up, water is good) awoyo yemoja

ye yemoja lomi ( ye yemoja inside water)

ye yemoja lode (ye yemoja has come)

Cheerz.

(1) (Reply)

The Beast Identified / Between Egbeada, Imo State And Egbeda, Lagos State / To All Igbos! :d

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.