Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,404 members, 7,881,471 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 08:38 PM

Denzel Washington Rejoices As Samuel L Jackson Receives First OSCAR - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Denzel Washington Rejoices As Samuel L Jackson Receives First OSCAR (834 Views)

Chioma Akpotha Rejoices As Omo Ghetto Crosses N500 Million In Box Office (Video) / Genevieve Nnaji’s 'Lionheart' Disqualified By Oscar Over Language, She Reacts / The Equalizer 2 , Watch Denzel Washington In Full Action Again (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Denzel Washington Rejoices As Samuel L Jackson Receives First OSCAR by cynbanews: 4:14pm On Mar 29, 2022
Samuel L Jackson receives his first OSCAR, When? Didn’t see it at the Sunday event?

Well, that’s because it was before the Oscar.

Renowned actor Samuel L Jackson was awarded a well-deserved honorary Oscar at the Governors Awards on Friday night, two days before the Oscars.

The Governors Awards is an event held ahead of the OSCARS.

It is held to honour those who have been overlooked by the Academy over the years. Those who have a body of works worthy of recognition rather than one work are also awarded on this night.

This award comes 30 years after his only Oscar Nomination.

In 1995, Sam was nominated for Best Actor in a supporting role for his performance in Pulp Fiction but didn’t win. The Academy has been snubbing his films, since then.

Why has a great actor like Sam, whom everyone loves, had just one Oscar nomination?

read here:

https://cynbanews.com/samuel-l-jackson-receives-his-first-oscar/

1 Like

Re: Denzel Washington Rejoices As Samuel L Jackson Receives First OSCAR by Totilopussylick(m): 4:18pm On Mar 29, 2022
He deserves it.

His been in the industry for years.

1 Like

Re: Denzel Washington Rejoices As Samuel L Jackson Receives First OSCAR by MrBrownJay1(m): 4:23pm On Mar 29, 2022
cynbanews:
Why has a great actor like Sam, whom everyone loves, had just one Oscar nomination?

as much as Samuel L. Jackson is a great actor, his movies aint oscar material, thus why he was only nominated once for an oscar.... i mean, look back and tell us what movies do you think he should have been nominated for an oscar?!?!?
Re: Denzel Washington Rejoices As Samuel L Jackson Receives First OSCAR by cynbanews: 6:32pm On Mar 29, 2022
MrBrownJay1:

as much as Samuel L. Jackson is a great actor, his movies aint oscar material, thus why he was only nominated once for an oscar.... i mean, look back and tell us what movies do you think he should have been nominated for an oscar?!?!?

Sam is the highest-grossing actor. The movies he has been in has grossed $27billion cumulatively. If people keep paying to see his movies because he's in it, doesn't it tell you something? that feat alone is worth an OSCAR.

1 Like

Re: Denzel Washington Rejoices As Samuel L Jackson Receives First OSCAR by MrBrownJay1(m): 6:42pm On Mar 29, 2022
cynbanews:
Sam is the highest-grossing actor. The movies he has been in has grossed $27billion cumulatively. If people keep paying to see his movies because he's in it, doesn't it tell you something? that feat alone is worth an OSCAR.

you didnt answer my question...
just because a movie grosses a lot of money in box office does NOT make it oscar material for best actor/actress... here is a simple clue: out of all the highest grossing movies of all times (Avatar, Avengers, Titanic, star wars, Spiderman, Jurassic world, Furious 7 etc)....none won a best actor/actress oscar, thus that should tell you a lot.

so again, the question IS: which Samuel L Jackson movie do you think he should have received an Oscar Nomination (apart from Pulp Fiction)?

BTW here are some other great actors who never won an Oscar: Tom Cruise, Johnny Depp, Clint Eastwood, Wilhem Dafoe, Edward Norton, Matt Damon etc

1 Like

Re: Denzel Washington Rejoices As Samuel L Jackson Receives First OSCAR by cynbanews: 6:42pm On Mar 29, 2022
MrBrownJay1:

To answer your question he could have at least been nominated for Best Actor in a supporting role for his performance in Glass, The Hitman's Bodyguard, Lead role for unbreakable. But yeah you have a point, many of the movies he has a major role in are mid.
Re: Denzel Washington Rejoices As Samuel L Jackson Receives First OSCAR by cynbanews: 6:49pm On Mar 29, 2022
MrBrownJay1:

just because a movie grosses a lot of money in box office does NOT make it oscar material for best actor/actress... here is a simple clue: out of all the highest grossing movies of all times (Avatar, Avengers, Titanic, star wars, Spiderman, Jurassic world, Furious 7 etc)....none won a best actor/actress oscar, thus that should tell you a lot.

so again, the question IS: which Samuel L Jackson movie do you think he should have received an Oscar Nomination (apart from Pulp Fiction)?

This tells me the academy have forgotten what makes a movie good. The success of the movie plays a big role. The audience score is important. The movie was made for an audience and if it satisfies that audience then it has achieved its targeted goal. Consequently the viewers can judge if a movie is good or not or if it deserves an award. Besides Avatar, every movie on your list were good. Titanic and Endgame should have definitely grabbed Best actor/actress OSCARS but the Academy wouldn't get over themselves.
Re: Denzel Washington Rejoices As Samuel L Jackson Receives First OSCAR by cynbanews: 6:57pm On Mar 29, 2022
MrBrownJay1:

BTW here are some other great actors who never won an Oscar: Tom Cruise, Johnny Depp, Clint Eastwood, Wilhem Dafoe, Edward Norton, Matt Damon etc

You see the why you can argue the academy is biased? Johnny Depp should have won many OSCARS. His performances are Oscar-worthy but because of the genre of movies he acts the Academy snubs his performances. I'm shocked about Tom Cruise though, didn't know. Talk about Willem Dafoe not getting an Oscar, he should've.

Marvel movies are snubbed no matter how good they are but DC is cool with them. the only Oscar a marvel movie won was for animation, that was Spiderman: Into the spiderverse.
Re: Denzel Washington Rejoices As Samuel L Jackson Receives First OSCAR by MrBrownJay1(m): 7:00pm On Mar 29, 2022
cynbanews:

This tells me the academy have forgotten what makes a movie good. The success of the movie plays a big role. The audience score is important. The movie was made for an audience and if it satisfies that audience then it has achieved its targeted goal. Consequently the viewers can judge if a movie is good or not or if it deserves an award. Besides Avatar, every movie on your list were good. Titanic and Endgame should have definitely grabbed Best actor/actress OSCARS but the Academy wouldn't get over themselves.

you are missing the point.... the oscar academy has many categories, and even though an actor is not recognize for his acting role in that said movie, a movie can be recognized by the Oscar academy for being a great movie...aka Titanic winning an oscar for best picture, best director, best cinematography, best visual effect, best production design and best original score, yet none of the actor received an Oscar. so yes a movie can be great and not receive a best actor/actress prize

1 Like

Re: Denzel Washington Rejoices As Samuel L Jackson Receives First OSCAR by cynbanews: 7:03pm On Mar 29, 2022
MrBrownJay1:

you are missing the point.... the oscar academy has many categories, and even though an actor is not recognize for his acting role in that said movie, a movie can be recognized by the Oscar academy for being a great movie...aka Titanic winning an oscar for best picture, best director, best cinematography, best visual effect, best production design and best original score, yet none of the actor received an Oscar. so yes a movie can be great and not receive a best actor/actress prize

So Leonardo Dicaprio didn't deserve a best actor nomination in Titanic or RDJ in Endgame?
Re: Denzel Washington Rejoices As Samuel L Jackson Receives First OSCAR by MrBrownJay1(m): 7:04pm On Mar 29, 2022
cynbanews:
You see the why you can argue the academy is biased? Johnny Depp should have won many OSCARS. His performances are Oscar-worthy but because of the genre of movies he acts the Academy snubs his performances. I'm shocked about Tom Cruise though, didn't know. Talk about Willem Dafoe not getting an Oscar, he should've.

Marvel movies are snubbed no matter how good they are but DC is cool with them. the only Oscar a marvel movie won was for animation, that was Spiderman: Into the spiderverse.

yeah Johnny depp/willem Dafoe should have received one by now, and also i believe Leonardo di caprio should have received more than one (the revenant)....but sometimes it is due to timing, other times it is due to a movie not being that great compared to the other movies hit is up against. Marvel movie are great to watch but i am sorry to say, the ACTING is garbage!
Re: Denzel Washington Rejoices As Samuel L Jackson Receives First OSCAR by MrBrownJay1(m): 7:13pm On Mar 29, 2022
cynbanews:
So Leonardo Dicaprio didn't deserve a best actor nomination in Titanic or RDJ in Endgame?

that year, he would have gone against some proper acting god like Jack Nicholson, Robert Duvall, Peter Fonda and Dustin Hoffman....or even Matt Damon in Good Will Hunting (which i think should have won). i am sorry to say that, i really believe NONE of the Marvel movies have great acting, as it doesnt fit with the script.
Re: Denzel Washington Rejoices As Samuel L Jackson Receives First OSCAR by cynbanews: 7:15pm On Mar 29, 2022
MrBrownJay1:

yeah Johnny depp/willem Dafoe should have received one by now, and also i believe Leonardo di caprio should have received more than one (the revenant)....but sometimes it is due to timing, other times it is due to a movie not being that great compared to the other movies hit is up against. Marvel movie are great to watch but i am sorry to say, the ACTING is garbage!

Acting is garbage huh?

I understand Comic book movies don't let acting talent shine because the action and CGI overshadows everything but how many actors can bring a comic book character to live in such a way that the fans say its uncanny and that the person is literally born for that role?

Don't shit on CBMs, they carry content and emotions and they bring out the creativity and diversity of the actors and also their emotional range

People literally cry or shout for joy in cinemas because of these characters and actors performances.

Look at Benedict Cumberbatch and Elizabeth Olsen portraying their characters, showing us their highs and lows, even about to play their variants. The acting in CBM isn't garbage, even Heath Ledger and Joaquin Phoenix won an Oscar for the Joker
Re: Denzel Washington Rejoices As Samuel L Jackson Receives First OSCAR by cynbanews: 7:17pm On Mar 29, 2022
MrBrownJay1:

that year, he would have gone against some proper acting god like Jack Nicholson, Robert Duvall, Peter Fonda and Dustin Hoffman....or even Matt Damon in Good Will Hunting (which i think should have won). i am sorry to say that, i really believe NONE of the Marvel movies have great acting, as it doesnt fit with the script.

What's the script?
Re: Denzel Washington Rejoices As Samuel L Jackson Receives First OSCAR by MrBrownJay1(m): 7:20pm On Mar 29, 2022
cynbanews:
What's the script?

Jack Nicholson won with As good as it gets.... check the movie to understand what makes a great actor. as for Matt Damon, the dude co wrote the movie Good will hunting which was great for his time
Re: Denzel Washington Rejoices As Samuel L Jackson Receives First OSCAR by MrBrownJay1(m): 7:21pm On Mar 29, 2022
cynbanews:
Acting is garbage huh?

I understand Comic book movies don't let acting talent shine because the action and CGI overshadows everything but how many actors can bring a comic book character to live in such a way that the fans say its uncanny and that the person is literally born for that role?

Don't shit on CBMs, they carry content and emotions and they bring out the creativity and diversity of the actors and also their emotional range

People literally cry or shout for joy in cinemas because of these characters and actors performances.

Look at Benedict Cumberbatch and Elizabeth Olsen portraying their characters, showing us their highs and lows, even about to play their variants. The acting in CBM isn't garbage, even Heath Ledger and Joaquin Phoenix won an Oscar for the Joker

i mean, i dont see great acting in these Marvel Movies...maybe i am biased, but it seems like childs play to me.
Re: Denzel Washington Rejoices As Samuel L Jackson Receives First OSCAR by cynbanews: 7:25pm On Mar 29, 2022
MrBrownJay1:

Jack Nicholson won with As good as it gets.... check the movie to understand what makes a great actor. as for Matt Damon, the dude co wrote the movie Good will hunting which was great for his time

He could've at least been nominated

And for marvel movies even if the acting isn't great, why aren't they winning other categories? Like best picture or directing?
Re: Denzel Washington Rejoices As Samuel L Jackson Receives First OSCAR by cynbanews: 7:27pm On Mar 29, 2022
MrBrownJay1:

i mean, i dont see great acting in these Marvel Movies...maybe i am biased, but it seems like childs play to me.

I see
Re: Denzel Washington Rejoices As Samuel L Jackson Receives First OSCAR by MrBrownJay1(m): 7:32pm On Mar 29, 2022
cynbanews:
He could've at least been nominated
And for marvel movies even if the acting isn't great, why aren't they winning other categories? Like best picture or directing?

MArvel movies are not that great IMHO, and thats why they mostly get recognize for their special effect etc... Black PAnther is the only Marvel movie that was recognized greatly, by winning 3 oscars, but none were in the important areas such as acting or best picture.

but hey, if you put into consideration that Joker was a DC comics flick, then you can understand that, by twisting the storyline/acting a little, you can actually get a great movie made out of comic books. Joaquim Phenix won an oscar for his role of the joker!
Re: Denzel Washington Rejoices As Samuel L Jackson Receives First OSCAR by cynbanews: 4:40am On Mar 30, 2022
MrBrownJay1:

MArvel movies are not that great IMHO, and thats why they mostly get recognize for their special effect etc... Black PAnther is the only Marvel movie that was recognized greatly, by winning 3 oscars, but none were in the important areas such as acting or best picture.

but hey, if you put into consideration that Joker was a DC comics flick, then you can understand that, by twisting the storyline/acting a little, you can actually get a great movie made out of comic books. Joaquim Phenix won an oscar for his role of the joker!

Joaquin won for his portrayal of the Joker right. How he brought the character to life and made it real and relatable. Thats what CBMs are about and marvel characters actors do same thing but get snubbed because they aren't a man with mental illness and a laughing disorder. Marvel characters have been made real for many fans and people relate to the stuff they go through and yet you guys underappreciated them because they are comic book movies with lots of visual effects
Re: Denzel Washington Rejoices As Samuel L Jackson Receives First OSCAR by MrBrownJay1(m): 7:42pm On Mar 30, 2022
cynbanews:
Joaquin won for his portrayal of the Joker right. How he brought the character to life and made it real and relatable. Thats what CBMs are about and marvel characters actors do same thing but get snubbed because they aren't a man with mental illness and a laughing disorder. Marvel characters have been made real for many fans and people relate to the stuff they go through and yet you guys underappreciated them because they are comic book movies with lots of visual effects

i am sorry to say, i have yet to see anyone bring a character to life on any Marvel movie, like Joaquim did in the joker...also, remember, the storyline of the joker was changed a bit to have a decent movie to watch/appreciate.....and not the same all "savior of the world straight forward Marvel usual storyline"

dont get me wrong.... Marvel movies are enjoyable but its not like you will go:"woah such great acting that got me mesmerized, let me watch it again and again"
Re: Denzel Washington Rejoices As Samuel L Jackson Receives First OSCAR by cynbanews: 10:55am On Mar 31, 2022
MrBrownJay1:

i am sorry to say, i have yet to see anyone bring a character to life on any Marvel movie, like Joaquim did in the joker...also, remember, the storyline of the joker was changed a bit to have a decent movie to watch/appreciate.....and not the same all "savior of the world straight forward Marvel usual storyline"

dont get me wrong.... Marvel movies are enjoyable but its not like you will go:"woah such great acting that got me mesmerized, let me watch it again and again"

You know how many times folks put Endgame and other marvel movies on repeat?
Re: Denzel Washington Rejoices As Samuel L Jackson Receives First OSCAR by cynbanews: 11:11am On Mar 31, 2022
MrBrownJay1:

Heath Ledger also won an Oscar for his performance as the Joker in The Dark Knight, would you say they twisted his story a bit before he won it? He simply portrayed the character well. Marvel actors bring their characters to life too. Just because its not some sad story about a lunatic and societal issues doesn't make it any less great. Besides Marvel characters are relatable. You have people who had gifts, talents and opportunities with a choice on what to do with what they have and their humanity makes them accept the responsibilities that come with them. You also see that in life it doesn't always go that fairytale way as some of them make the wrong choices. it is also not a fairytale that has a happy ending always as some die, and they lose and can't really protect everyone they love. they are heroes but are still broke, if they were villains they might've robbed a bank but they are heroes and still the got or people still allow them have money issues. they still face racism and other societal issues. they are traumatized and depressed. some seek therapy, some find it hard to deal with trauma and it leads them to bad decisions that hurt people they should be protecting. and the talk is endless and the actors make you feel these characters so much so that they become real to you. and you talk as if its a superman savior of the world movie we are talking about. talk about great storyline and charcaters

1 Like

Re: Denzel Washington Rejoices As Samuel L Jackson Receives First OSCAR by Skmoda360(m): 8:49am On Apr 03, 2022
MrBrownJay1:

BTW here are some other great actors who never won an Oscar: Tom Cruise, Johnny Depp, Clint Eastwood, Willem Dafoe, Edward Norton, Matt Damon etc
Re: Denzel Washington Rejoices As Samuel L Jackson Receives First OSCAR by MrBrownJay1(m): 3:24pm On Apr 03, 2022
cynbanews:

Heath Ledger also won an Oscar for his performance as the Joker in The Dark Knight, would you say they twisted his story a bit before he won it? He simply portrayed the character well. Marvel actors bring their characters to life too. Just because its not some sad story about a lunatic and societal issues doesn't make it any less great. Besides Marvel characters are relatable. You have people who had gifts, talents and opportunities with a choice on what to do with what they have and their humanity makes them accept the responsibilities that come with them. You also see that in life it doesn't always go that fairytale way as some of them make the wrong choices. it is also not a fairytale that has a happy ending always as some die, and they lose and can't really protect everyone they love. they are heroes but are still broke, if they were villains they might've robbed a bank but they are heroes and still the got or people still allow them have money issues. they still face racism and other societal issues. they are traumatized and depressed. some seek therapy, some find it hard to deal with trauma and it leads them to bad decisions that hurt people they should be protecting. and the talk is endless and the actors make you feel these characters so much so that they become real to you. and you talk as if its a superman savior of the world movie we are talking about. talk about great storyline and charcaters

Heath Ledger did win a best supporting actor for the Joker, but i think that his untimely demise did help in that fact... but, dont get me wrong, all the marvel actors are great actors, it is just that the Marvel scripts/storyline does NOT demand for great acting.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Ini Edo Beaten Up? / Movie Quote / True Definition Of "down But Not Out"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.