Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,926 members, 7,872,979 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 06:01 AM

Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence (31756 Views)

Do You Know That This Sentence Contains All The English Alphabet? / Can Anyone Please Explain The Use Of "AN" And Not "A" In This Sentence. / Grammarians, Who Can Correctly Fill In The Spaces In These Sentences? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by WoundedLamb: 4:33pm On Apr 02, 2022
Marketgists:
"Request" and "for" cannot go together.
Check my signature

They can go together if the word "request" is used as a noun. As a verb, it means "ask for". Therefore, it would be repetitious to say "request for". However, as a noun, that's not the case.

Examples:
1) He requested more information. (verb)
2) I received his request for more information. (noun)

In this case, the OP is employing the word as a noun.

3 Likes

Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by Nobody: 4:35pm On Apr 02, 2022
kapelvej:
This could have been correct if their is just one administrative staff position. But if he is going to join a team , then the indefinite article 'an' must be added Request for the redesignation of my appointment to an administrative staff. This shows that he is requesting to be a member of the team.

Well, I only commented based on the information given. I don't know the number of staff in the company, I am not psychic grin
Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by vickodedon(m): 4:37pm On Apr 02, 2022
The last one
Beress:
Request for the redesignation of my appointment to an administrative staff

Request for the redesignation of my appointment as an administrative staff

Request for the redesignation of my appointment to administrative staff

Request for the redesignation of my appointment as administrative staff

Pls which is the best to use among all these. It's meant to be the title of an official letter I want to write. I want to change from clerical staff to administrative staff.

I will appreciate your response

MODIFIED

Having listened to some grammarians here, I now have two options:

Request for Redesignation to Administrative Staff

OR

Request for Redesignation as Administrative Staff

Pls which is the most appropriate
Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by Nobody: 4:37pm On Apr 02, 2022
kapelvej:
This could have been correct if their is just one administrative staff position. But if he is going to join a team , then the indefinite article 'an' must be added Request for the redesignation of my appointment to an administrative staff. This shows that he is requesting to be a member of the team.

Well, that's not incorrect.

Writing to become an administrative staff doesn't have anything to do with the number or size of staff. Staff is both singular and plural so in a regular company, it connotes that you're trying to join the staff (team) in the administrative department...
Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by Marketgists(f): 4:38pm On Apr 02, 2022
WoundedLamb:

They can go together if the word "request" is used as a noun. As a verb, it means "ask for". Therefore, it would be repetitious to say "request for". However, as a noun, that's not the case.

Examples:
1) He requested more information. (verb)
2) I received his request for more information. (noun)

In this case, the OP is employing the word as a noun.
Alright. Thank you. Check my signature though!
Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by Nobody: 4:39pm On Apr 02, 2022
Themie9:

Request for the redesignation of my appointment administrative staff

Canadian loud at work grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by WoundedLamb: 4:41pm On Apr 02, 2022
Marketgists:

Alright. Thank you. Check my signature though!

Lol... this your signature. OK, let me check it out.

1 Like

Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by Yankee101: 4:52pm On Apr 02, 2022
Make a complete sense making sentence

Request for my redesignation from clerical to administrative staff

So whoever see it knows what it's about
Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by phemmyfour: 4:58pm On Apr 02, 2022
Beress:

Pls which is the best to use among all these. It's meant to be the title of an official letter I want to write. I want to change from clerical staff to administrative staff.

MODIFIED

OR

That's more appropriate

Redesignation means retag, relabel, re-rank

Hence, you "re tag/re rank/ re label" AS
Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by Armaggedon: 4:59pm On Apr 02, 2022
What happened to "Request for redesignation of appointment"? Or is your letter not going to have a body?
Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by aydgov: 5:03pm On Apr 02, 2022
REQUEST FOR CONVERSION OF APPOINTMENT FROM CLERICAL OFFICER TO ADMINISTATIVE OFFICER.

1 Like

Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by kokomilala(m): 5:03pm On Apr 02, 2022
None is correct. They are all grammatically flawed. You don't need the preposition FOR when you use request. Thus,the correct one should go this way:
Request the redesignation. In effect,don't put FOR when using REQUEST.
* I had to look at it again. Remove a before STAFF. It's either you say a staffer or employee,not a staff. Staff encompasses all the employees.
So,in writing it,consider these two things I've highlighted: No FOR in using REQUEST ,and no A in using STAFF.

1 Like

Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by Originalsly: 5:29pm On Apr 02, 2022
Beress:

MODIFIED

[s]Request for redesignation to Administrative staff.[/s]

OR

Pls which is the most more appropriate

..... to be changed to administrative staff.

...... to be redisgnated/ listed/ known as administrative staff
Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by Hakeem3(m): 5:31pm On Apr 02, 2022
jibovico:
Use this:
This is correct.
Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by ransomed: 5:31pm On Apr 02, 2022
Enemyofpeace:
Boat of them are perfectly correct
Boat ---as in yatch, canoe, ferry.
Both--- as in more than one personality.
Thank you.
Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by ransomed: 5:33pm On Apr 02, 2022
It will be more officious if the word request is changed to Application.
All will be well.

1 Like

Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by amanze2020(m): 5:34pm On Apr 02, 2022
See how colonial masters (aka British) carry their English language they confuse our generation.

English language wey no be our own, na we dey struggle up and down fix the grammar.....

Abeg, somebody should elp us with the pigin version. Na we Naija manufacture Pigin. E go sweet for Pigin.
Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by Bullet01(f): 5:53pm On Apr 02, 2022
Request for redesignation from clerical to Administrative staff
Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by anelka101(m): 6:04pm On Apr 02, 2022
Request for Redesignation from(qoute your former desgnation) to Administrative Staff
Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by Sheriman(m): 6:20pm On Apr 02, 2022
churro:
The third one is correct. You are requesting for a redesignation of your appointment to adminstrative staff. That is, you want to be an administrative staff instead, since you arent one now. You don't redesignate as, you reedesigae to.
Oyinbo plenty for Nairaland ooo
Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by Sultty(m): 6:24pm On Apr 02, 2022
Beress:

MODIFIED

OR

Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by yemi1504: 6:27pm On Apr 02, 2022
Beress:

MODIFIED

OR

Just a check on google showed it is redesignate as not redesignate to. Well, we all learn everyday.
Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by derico(m): 6:28pm On Apr 02, 2022
I don't know if anyone else addressed it, but REDESIGNATION is not the right word for what you are applying for.

You don't get a redesignation, when you wish for a change of department or job function.

Redesignation is for change of title/name.

Not for transfer to another department or reassignment to another department/job function.

Apply for transfer or (re)deployment
Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by derico(m): 6:32pm On Apr 02, 2022
aydgov:
REQUEST FOR CONVERSION OF APPOINTMENT FROM CLERICAL OFFICER TO ADMINISTATIVE OFFICER.

Ur head is there!
Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by itsMrIke(m): 6:33pm On Apr 02, 2022
Beress:

MODIFIED

OR

I am seeing this late, but I hope you get to see my post.

The correct title is either of

Request For Redesignation To An Administrative staff

Or

Request For Redesignation From A Clerical Staff to An Administrative Staff

This is because, you are requesting to be redesignated to another position/unit (not as).

While the 2nd option states where you are currently designated and where you wish to be redeisgnated to.

Please 'as' should not be used in any of the options

1 Like

Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by toboy: 6:37pm On Apr 02, 2022
Beress:

MODIFIED

OR

I would write it as "Request for Redesignation from Clerical to Administrative Staff
Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by derico(m): 6:39pm On Apr 02, 2022
rickleye:
I would like to request for the reassignment of my appointment from Clerical staff to Administrative staff .

Correct!!!

1 Like

Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by dandostism88(m): 6:40pm On Apr 02, 2022
The correct sentence is " REQUEST FOR RE- DESIGNATION FROM CLERICAL TO ADMINISTRATIVE STAFF"

1 Like

Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by Alusiizizi(m): 6:44pm On Apr 02, 2022
Beress:

MODIFIED

OR

"Request for Redesignation as Administrative Staff" would be the one to go for. "to Administrative Staff" has implications that your position is changing(promotion/demotion) which isn't the case here. The other "as an Administrative Staff" uses more words unnecessarily.
Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by pek(m): 6:50pm On Apr 02, 2022
1:Request for Redesignation from Clerical to Administrative Staff.
2: Request for Redesignation from Clerical to Administrative Staff.
3: Request for Redesignation from Clerical to Administrative Staff.

All the information needed is in the above.
Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by yemite1925: 7:20pm On Apr 02, 2022
2 is right just remove for . When you use request , for should be eliminated

1 Like

Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by NairaMaster1(m): 7:29pm On Apr 02, 2022
yanabasee:
The first one is correct....

Go to the registry and check other files and the title they used...

Moreso, it won't be checked.... As far as the heading described the purpose of the letter...

Congratulations boss...

Modified...

You used Redesignation.... Then you should use "AS"

Non of the above Sir.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ochuwa Momoh George Completes Her PhD With 5.0 CPGA / "Ant" Trends Among Nigerians On Social Media And It's Hilarious / UNIZIK Medical Student Reading On The Altar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.