Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,772 members, 7,921,756 topics. Date: Thursday, 15 August 2024 at 11:56 AM

The Extraordinary Man Who Moved A Mountain :dashrath Manjhi - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The Extraordinary Man Who Moved A Mountain :dashrath Manjhi (217 Views)

Insecurty: Call To Bar Moved From Law School / How I Moved From Management Trainee To Assistant Manager Within 4 Years. / "Abroad Life Is Not Easy" - Man Who Cleans Skyscraper Windows Says; Shares Video (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Extraordinary Man Who Moved A Mountain :dashrath Manjhi by Michelle70(m): 10:41am On Apr 06, 2022
I have known about his story since 2005, I could actually consider him my role model
Dashrath Manjhi was a poor farm laborer who lived in a small remote village in India. It was a village that was separated from the nearest markets, schools and the fields where he worked by a small mountain. The only way to get across was by taking a long, dangerous footpath. For years, local people had petitioned the government to build a better connection but nothing happened.

One day, Dashrath's beloved wife suffered a severe injury on the path while trying to bring him water where he worked. That's when he decided to take action. He picked up a chisel, a hammer and a shovel and he set to work singlehandedly to carve a passageway through the hillside. Later, his wife fell ill and died in part because she could not reach a hospital in time. Dashrath responded by working even harder on his project so others would not have to suffer the same kind of tragedy because of lack of access.

For a long time, he was ignored and many considered him just a foolish man trying to do the impossible. Eventually, as he began to make visible progress people started giving him food and helped him buy tools. He worked at carving that passage day and night, every day, beginning in 1960. In 1982, after 22 years of relentless work, it was completed. The 360-foot roadway literally transformed the lives of the residents in the region, and today people from more than 60 neighboring villages use it regularly. When Dashrath Manjhi died in 2007, he was given a state funeral.

Stories like this really serve to illustrate just what it means to give meaning and purpose to life. Not everyone will tackle an extraordinary project like this, but we all can infuse our lives with a sense of purpose that is as pure and genuine.

As a Nigerian, There are a lot of stories to learn here.

1) don't let ur circumstances define you

2) with just chisel and hammer, u could move a mountain

3)Don't despise the days of little beginning, a man moved a mountain by first removing pebbles

3) just find something doing, even if its hawking or POS, don't wait for govt

Re: The Extraordinary Man Who Moved A Mountain :dashrath Manjhi by illicit(m): 11:07am On Apr 06, 2022
Can't they get dynamite
Re: The Extraordinary Man Who Moved A Mountain :dashrath Manjhi by Michelle70(m): 7:48pm On Apr 06, 2022
illicit:
Can't they get dynamite
he doesn't have the money
Re: The Extraordinary Man Who Moved A Mountain :dashrath Manjhi by illicit(m): 7:49pm On Apr 06, 2022
Michelle70:
he doesn't have the money

The whole community

How much is it
Re: The Extraordinary Man Who Moved A Mountain :dashrath Manjhi by Michelle70(m): 7:55pm On Apr 06, 2022
illicit:

The whole community

How much is it
This happened in a very poor village back in 1960, they probably doesn't even know what dynamite is.

Moreover its not a community project, rather a one poor peasant farmer project
Re: The Extraordinary Man Who Moved A Mountain :dashrath Manjhi by illicit(m): 8:31pm On Apr 06, 2022
Michelle70:
This happened in a very poor village back in 1960, they probably doesn't even know what dynamite is.

Moreover its not a community project, rather a one poor peasant farmer project

The man tried

(1) (Reply)

Party Pie Creativity Is Here For� / Why I Turned Down A $1000 Sale Offer As An Artist Living In Nigeria / What Is Wrong With My Npower Physical Verification Dashboard?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.